View Full Version : Guy eats 69 burgers

Patrick
11-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Okay, I probably would've thrown up after this. I bet this guy has some pretty high cholesterol at the moment!
----------

Japan's record hot-dog eater branches out to put down 69 hamburgers

Mon Nov 15,12:12 PM ET

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20041115/thumb.sge.gdu31.151104171156.photo00.photo.default-278x369.jpg

TOKYO (AFP) - A slender 26-year-old from Japan who is the undefeated champion in hot-dog eating competitions has broadened his repertoire, wowing an American crowd by munching 69 hamburgers in eight minutes.
Takeru Kobayashi, who has made a full-time career out of his unusual talent and become a celebrity in Japan, took home 10,000 dollars after stuffing himself at the contest in Chattanooga, Tennessee, media reports said.
"Kobayashi is, without a doubt, the greatest eater ever to live upon planet Earth," said David Baer of the International Federation of Competitive Eating.
Second-place went to Sonya Thomas, a Virginia woman who in the allotted eight minutes Saturday could eat a mere 46 of the miniature square burgers cooked up by Krystal, a fast-food chain in the US south.
Kobayashi has triumphed four years straight at the July 4 hot-dog contest in New York City, this year breaking his previous record by swallowing 53 and a half frankfurters.
Weighing only 60 kilograms (132 pounds), Kobayashi has astonished gluttons more inclined to binge-eating. The Japanese man says he has mastered a technique to win by snapping food in two and shoving both parts in his mouth.
Kobayashi also holds records for eating cow brains -- eight kilos (17.7 pounds) in 15 minutes -- and traditional Japanese rice balls at nine kilos (20 pounds) in half an hour.
The Japanese tend to be more moderate eaters but, thanks in part to Kobayashi, competitive eating has become a television sensation with "food fighters" downing everything from sushi to cakes.
But the television began to shy away from such contests after a 14-year-old junior high school student choked to death in 2002 trying to imitate competitive eating during school lunch.
Despite repeated warnings from authorities about the danger, such contests remain popular at local festivals in Japan.
On November 6, a 38-year-old woman choked to death after gorging on bread and barley noodles at a local fall festival.

Keith
11-16-2004, 06:22 AM
My question is, how big were these burgers :noldus: ? Were they like a small hamburger from McD's, a medium size burger like the whopper, or a huge burger, like the ones from Big Eds? I am betting they were small burger, but either way, that's a lot of burgers to eat in 8 minutes.

Midtowner
11-16-2004, 08:03 AM
This just in! Japanese man now 69 times more likely to die of mad cow disease!

More at 10.

Patrick
11-16-2004, 12:28 PM
lol! Or E. coli if they were from Jack in the Box.

MasterWolf
11-16-2004, 08:01 PM
First hot dogs, now hamburgers!! This guy has a bottomless pit for a stomach. I hate to see his grocery bill each month.

Patrick
11-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Half of his grocery bill is probably taken up by toilet paper! :Smiley275

MasterWolf
11-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Ha Ha Ha!!! That is probrably True!!! Lol.

mranderson
11-17-2004, 05:24 PM
I have seen this guy in action. Not in person, but on television. He is unstoppable.

There are people who weight 400 or more pounds that can not eat as much. I think they said it is in the technique and not quanity per se. Sometime smaller people can eat a lot more than big guys. The companies that sponsor these events allow the contestant to drink between bites, and that makes it easier. A few companies, however, do not have that rule.

This guy has won the Nathans hotdog eating contest at Coney Island several years running. If I am not mistaken, he was won more times in a row than anyone else in its history.

By the way. Losing your load or even a small bit of it is automatic disqualification.

The eating contests are featured occasionally on ESPN. The network declares it a sport. :noldus:

Patrick
11-17-2004, 10:59 PM
I have seen this guy in action. Not in person, but on television. He is unstoppable.

Hmmmm...unstoppable? Guess toilet paper isn't going to cut it. Anyone have a plunger or a cork?

Anyways, 69 burgers is a lot. I'm sure being able to take in between helps wash it down, but I still couldn't eat that many! I might be able to eat 69 small gummi burgers from Haribo!