View Full Version : Edwards Park Lake Opens For Fishing

Keith
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Oklahoma City’s Edwards Park Lake opens for fishing May 1

Metro area anglers will celebrate an early summer with the opening of Edwards Park Lake, located at NE 15th & Bryant. The Oklahoma City Council passed an emergency ordinance in its May 1 meeting officially opening Edwards Park Lake to local fishing opportunities.

Ward 7 Councilwoman Willa Johnson cast the first line at a ceremony celebrating the lake’s opening. She was joined by officials from the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation and the City’s Parks and Recreation Department.

“This is a banner day for Ward 7 and all of Oklahoma City,” said Ms. Johnson, “and one we’ve been anticipating for a long time. Leisure fishing is a favorite recreational activity for many of our residents, and I’m pleased and proud to open this new Close to Home fishing water to the citizens of Ward 7 and the community at large.”

Edwards Lake was built by the City in 2005, in cooperation with the State Department of Wildlife Conservation as part of the federal Sport Fish Restoration program. It was closed to fishing, however, in order to allow sufficient fish populations to develop.

According to the City’s fishery biologist Bob Martin, Edwards Lake is stocked with channel catfish, bluegill sunfish and largemouth bass. The fish were stocked at different intervals over a period of two years in order to allow them to grow to a catchable size. Biologists also installed four brush piles in Edwards Lake to create natural fish habitats near lake points and the fishing piers.

Anglers who fish at Edwards Lake will have to follow the City’s current fishing regulations for Close to Home fishing waters. Unless exempted, citizens between the ages of 16 and 62 must have both a state fishing license and city permit. A maximum of three rods and reels is allowed per person, and all anglers must abide by local catch limits. At Edwards, anglers may catch up to six channel catfish per day and unlimited sunfish. For the largemouth bass, anglers must follow specific catch and release regulations.

“The largemouth bass play an important role in controlling the size and population of our sunfish,” said Martin. “Keeping the bass in our Close to Home fishing waters ensures we will not have an overabundance of small sunfish, and will provide quality fishing for many years,”

With its opening, Edwards Park Lake joins seven other metro area waters as part of the Close to Home fishing program, a cooperative fisheries management project between the City of Oklahoma City and the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. The other Close to Home waters include:

<LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Crystal Lake, 6625 SW 15 <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Dolese Youth Park Pond, NW 50th and Meridian Ave. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Kids Lake at Grand, 3301 NW Grand Boulevard <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Kids Lake at Wilshire, 3200 West Wilshire Boulevard <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">South Lakes Park Ponds, 4302 SW 119 <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge, NW 51 & Stinchcomb Road <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Oklahoma River basins (various locations)
Zoo Lake, 2101 NE 50For more information about the City’s 2007 fishing regulations, anglers may call 755-4014 or log on to the City’s website at www.okc.gov/lakes (http://www.okc.gov/lakes). Edwards Park Lake and the City’s fishing program are managed and operated by the Oklahoma City Parks and Recreation Department.

###

CCOKC
05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I am confused about the kids lakes at Hefner. When I take my dog to the dog park, I have seen a sign going in to the parking lot that points North that says kids lake or something like that. Is this the lake at the dog park and is that open to fishing? I have walked north of the dog park and didn't see anything so I just assumed that the kids lake was the one on Wilshire but your list has two mentions of kids lake.

Millie
05-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Actually, there are a lot more than eight lakes in the Close to Home program.
Here's a complete list, supplied by the Wildlife Dept:
Oklahoma City (405) 297-2211:

• Dolese Youth Park Pond (north of NW 50th, 1/2 blk. west of Meridian)

• Crystal Lake (West of MacArthur SW 15th)

• Kids Lake at Wilshire (3 blks. west of May, on the north side of Wilshire Blvd.)

• Kids Lake at Grand (3 blks. west of May, on the north side of Grand Blvd.)

• Oklahoma River from NW 10th St. bridge includes the May, Western and Eastern Basins. However, wetland ponds at Pennsylvania, Western and Walker Avenues are closed to fishing until 2009.

• Route 66 Park Ponds (1/2 blk. west of West Overholser Drive on NW 23rd St.)

• Edwards Park Pond (East side I-35 Service Road between NE 10th St. and NE 13th St.) Fishing access may be restricted due to low water conditions

• Crystal Lake (1/2 mile west of MacArthur on SW 15th) Special Use Area: for information call (405) 650-2425

• South Lake Park Pond East (south of SW 119th between Meridian and Portland)

• South Lake Park Pond West (south of SW 119th between Meridian and Portland). Fishing access may be restricted due to low water conditions.

• Waters of the Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge (NW 50th and Stinchcomb Rd.)

• Zoo Lake (east side only, south of NE 50th and Lincoln Park Blvd.)

Del City (405) 671-2868:

• Eagle Lake (3405 E. Reno)

Yukon (405) 354-7208:

• Mulvey's (City Park) Pond (2200 S. Holly St.)

• Welch Park Pond (615 Annawood Rd.)

• Senior Center Pond (1200 Lakeshore Dr.)

Harrah (405) 454-2951:  

• Heritage Park Pond (1374 N. Church Ave.)

Edmond (405) 216-7641:

• Hafer Park Pond (1700 E. 9th, one blk. east of Bryant)

• Mitch Park Amphitheater Pond (2733 Marilyn Williams Drive)

• 33rd Street Park Pond (1/2 blk. east of Boulevard on 33rd)

Lawton (580) 581-3400:

• Lake Helen (I-44 and Cache Road)

Mustang (405) 376-7739:

• Wildhorse Park Pond (1/2 mi. west of Mustang Rd. on SW 59th)

Norman (405) 366-5472:

• Sutton Wilderness Area Pond (1/3 mi. south of Rock Creek Rd. on west side of 12th Ave. NE)

• Willow Pond (in Northeast Lions Park, north of Robinson on Northcliff Ave.)

Keith
05-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Great list! Thanks, Millie