View Full Version : Oklahoma Land Run Monument

SWOKC 4 me
05-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Hello everyone!

I have been reading this forum for several months but just now got around to becoming a member and actually posting!

Anyway the wife and I were walking around in Bricktown after visiting the Arts Festival and we went by the Oklahoma Land Run Monument just south of Bricktown. If I remember right there used to be a sign there that said the monument would be 45 sculptures and would be finished in April 2007. I must admit I did not count them but there seemed to be less that 45.

Does anyone know if it is finished or if they have scaled it down?

I searched the forum and did not find any information on this recently, sorry if it is already posted somewhere and I just missed it!

Just curious...

SWOKC 4 me

Julesc2001
05-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I dont have a lot of details, but I will let you know what I know... they are gradually putting put the sculptures... an artist in Norman is doing them all, and they will be put out as he finishes them... some details...
In honor of Oklahoma's Centennial, an Oklahoma Centennial Land Run Monument is currently being built by Oklahoma artist Paul Moore in his Norman, Oklahoma studio. The impressive landmark recreates the Land Run of 1889 in vivid detail. As elements of the 47 piece monument are finished, they are to be installed in lower Bricktown, Oklahoma City. When completed, the monument will be approximately 365 feet long, making it one of the largest bronze sculptures in the world.

jbrown84
05-01-2007, 01:52 PM
It's just been delayed. The price of bronze skyrocketed over the last 2 or 3 years due to Katrina, the war, and other circumstances. The Gazette did an article on the delays a couple weeks ago. It's still happening.

metro
05-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, as others have said, its still happening, bronze has skyrocketed, and just one artist out of norman is doing it. There was an article a few weeks back (not sure if it was the Gazette or what), but it did mention the project will be scaled back unless additional funding can be found, but even if it is scaled back, more pieces are still scheduled to be installed.

John
05-02-2007, 01:53 AM
With the current $ allotment, I think I remember seeing that 37 statues would be able to be cast and placed... We just need a donor or the legislature to step up on the overrun.

For some reason, this is making me think of the airport expansion. Build it now while it costs close to what we planned on paying for it. The 'expansion' of the airport will cost more than twice what it would have if built as planned.

kevinpate
05-02-2007, 06:59 AM
The larger components of the exhibit are quite impressive, but for whatever reason, I've been a fan of the smaller pieces like the dog. I suppose it's because the pooch caught me off guard when I first came across the critter. It's a nice touch in the overall exhibit.

SWOKC 4 me
05-02-2007, 11:39 AM
With the current $ allotment, I think I remember seeing that 37 statues would be able to be cast and placed... We just need a donor or the legislature to step up on the overrun.

For some reason, this is making me think of the airport expansion. Build it now while it costs close to what we planned on paying for it. The 'expansion' of the airport will cost more than twice what it would have if built as planned.

If this is the case I really hope they complete it now with all 46 or 47 pieces. I hate it when we start something that is supposed to be big then scale it back. I am sure that 37 pieces will be great but I really want to see the whole thing finished as was pictured on the sign that used to be there.

I don't have the answer to where the city will get the additional funding but I hope it happens!

Does anyone know how many sculptures are there now?

John
05-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Not sure the current number. Maybe 12 right now? There are supposed to be 46 sculptures when finished, since we were the 46th state admitted to the union.