View Full Version : Oklahoma Factory Shoppes - I40 & Council

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

kielaaron
04-30-2007, 11:21 PM
I searched the forum and didn't find anything about this, so I had to start a new thread. Please let me know if I should move this elsewhere, perhaps to something already established...

I came across this information in a database at work today. Looks like an outlet center out west on I40 @ Council. The information tied to it in my database made it seem like this is a pretty tied-down deal.

The entire brochure was too large to upload here so I've just extracted the most indicative page. Interesting stuff.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I do find it kind of interesting they are using that area. I could have sworn the EPA and/or DEQ condemned that land back years ago.

I remember reading in the paper that the soil in that area was contaminated from a solvent AT&T/ Lucent used on their machines.

If that does go in, I am willing to bet that the old plant may come down for additional shopping and hotel space.

Millie
04-30-2007, 11:37 PM
I found some more info about the company.
http://www.horizongroup.com/

metro
05-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Great find keilaaron!!! This is a perfect place to post this. I was hoping they'd build an outlet center out that way, it's a perfect location. I've noticed they've had some signs up for months now about trying to sell that as a huge retail complex. Hopefully this is true and in the works!! Glad to see a Nike, Guess, Puma and the like coming in.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
05-01-2007, 08:18 AM
That is prime place to put a new outlet mall. Think about it, there is nothing when it comes to serious shopping between OKC and Amarillo. This place will make millions of dollars during back to school and Christmas.

Now, if we can just get a sales tax holiday passed. OKC would make up for the lost tax dollars on food sales and hotel room reservations.

Gainesville will hate this place with a passion. Prime Outlets may bring a mall to the city just make up for what they will lose in Gainesville.

I am hoping that vacant Wendy's will become a parking lot now that there are plans for that area.

Theo Walcott
05-01-2007, 08:30 AM
This is BIGTIME.

jbrown84
05-01-2007, 08:30 AM
How have all the news outlets missed this.

They have the whole thing leased already? Really???

Nice list of stores.

I've always thought Shawnee or Yukon along I-40 was a good place for a nice outlet mall.

Pete
05-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Wow, that will be sweet.

And notice the plans says "Phase I" which implies more phases down the road.

If they have all those stores lined up, it will be what they call a "premium outlet" center and several of them out here in California are *huge*, about 4 times the size what they show here. Wouldn't be surprised to see -- ultimately -- something similar on that site.

jbrown84
05-01-2007, 10:46 AM
The tenant list:

Adidas
Aeropostale
Aldo
Ann Taylor
Ann Klein
Banana Republic
Bass
BCBG
Bebe
Brooks Brothers
Calvin Klein
Carter's
Casual Male
Chico's
The Children's Place
Claire's
Coach
Converse
DC Shoes
Disney Store
Dockers
Dress Barn
Easy Spirit
Ecko
Eddie Bauer
Famous Footwear
Fossil
Gap
Geoffrey Beene
Guess
Gymboree
Haggar
Harry & David
Hot Dog on a Stick
Hot Topic
IZOD
J. Crew
Jones NY
Johnston & Murphy
KB Toys
Kitchen Collection
Koret
Lane Bryant
Le Gourmet Chef
Levi's
Liz Clairborne
Lucky Brand
Maidenform
Mo'z BBQ
Nautica
Nike
Nine West
Oshkosh B'Gosh
Pac Sun
Perry Ellis
Petite Sophisticate
Puma
Quicksilver
Rack Room Shoes
Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
Sag Harbor
Samsonite
Starbucks
Strasburg
Stride Rite
Subway
Sunglass Hut
Timberland
Timex
Tommy Hilfiger
Totes
Ultra Jewelry
Under Armor
Van Huesen
Villa Pizza
Vitamin World
Wilson's Leather
Zales
Zumiez

There are only 5 units open, 2 of which are in the food court.

Karried
05-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Yes! I've been dreaming and hoping for one of these in OKC for so long! I used to live about 10 min from one and loved getting name brand clothing and misc at discount prices.

Believe it or not, it is a tourist attraction.

I know many people scoffed when I wished for one close to Bricktown.. but I used to see Tour busses galore coming to spend $$$ at the Outlets....

Good news for OK.

Easy180
05-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Yes! I've been dreaming and hoping for one of these in OKC for so long! I used to live about 10 min from one and loved getting name brand clothing and misc at discount prices.

Believe it or not, it is a tourist attraction.

I know many people scoffed when I wished for one close to Bricktown.. but I used to see Tour busses galore coming to spend $$$ at the Outlets....

Good news for OK.

Cool...Maybe we can attract cruiselines as well...Shopping excursions and all

Oh.....Wait a minute...

Karried
05-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Easy180... don't make me come over there.. ha,ha... Wait, can we get a cruise ship on our river?

I posted this in 2005 .. I hope the Links below still work..... I wonder if they will take some ideas from the Prime Outlets?

I wonder though if we could attract tourists and more retail with some sort of outlet shopping area?

If we could have plenty of parking this could be such a tourist draw if we did it right - classy, not cheesy, well planned outlet center. We had a few in CA near my home and it was always packed with tourists and locals. In the center was a plaza with Starbucks and tables and it was always busy.

Here is an example of one in Texas...

Prime Outlets Mall

Prime Outlets Mall San Marcos - the largest factory outlet center in South Texas - is among the most popular travel destinations in Texas. Every year, more than six million shoppers visit the Prime Outlets Mall San Marcos, where they can go shopping for an endless array of bargains...at factory outlet prices.

The 110-plus factory outlet stores at the Prime Outlets Mall shopping center offer everything from apparel and accessories to health and beauty items to home furnishings and housewares. Prime Outlets Mall San Marcos is home to a mouth-watering variety of stores, such as Dooney & Bourke, Zales, Gap Outlet, OshKosh B'Gosh, Jockey, London Fog, Polo Ralph Lauren Factory Store and Salvatore Ferragamo. Factory outlet stores at Prime Outlets Mall also include J. Crew, Jones New York, Perry Ellis, Nike Factory Store, Van Heusen, Casual Corner Annex, Talbots and the Off 5th Saks Fifth Avenue Outlet. Among the other well-known names at Prime Outlets Mall San Marcos are Bath & Body Works, Crabtree & Evelyn, Lancome, Pottery Barn Furniture Outlet, Mikasa Factory Store, Springmaid, Sony and Wamsutta. A $20 million expansion project is bringing a 28,000-square-foot Neiman Marcus Last Call store to the Prime Outlets open-air mall.

Prime Outlets Mall San Marcos is also home to a food court, children's playground and ATMs. A customer service center at the food court can provide free strollers and wheelchairs, gift certificates, tourist information and more.

Prime Outlets Mall is located off of I-35 (exit 200), near San Marcos. It is less than an hour's drive from San Antonio and only about a half-hour outside of Austin. Another factory outlet mall, the Tanger Outlet Center, is next door to the Prime Outlets Mall San Marcos

http://www.sanantoniocvb.com/prime_outlet_mall.asp (http://www.sanantoniocvb.com/prime_outlet_mall.asp)

Nixon7
05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
please please please let this be true!!! what does this do to the 'retail' part of core to shore though?

Nixon7
05-01-2007, 11:11 AM
I was in Allen, TX awhile back and they had a nice one. If OKC's is similar to this, it's going to be great!!

Allen Premium Outlets (http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=5)

Easy180
05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
A Kenneth Cole store would sure be nice

What would be even nicer is if I could drop 60 lbs to fit in their clothes

Blairman
05-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I emailed the leasing office and they mentioned that they project a Nov 2008 opening

metro
05-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Yeah, it also mentions that opening date on their website. It would be cool if we could extend the Oklahoma River another 3 miles or so to Council with Core To Shore or Maps 3 and then passengers could ride from downtown to the new outlet mall via a ferry.

Karried
05-01-2007, 02:23 PM
This is what they have on the website .. any inaccuracies or are they right on?

FactsDaily Traffic Count: 112,000 vehicles
Opening: Fall 2008
GLA: 300,000/sq.ft

Population:
MSA Population - 1.4 million
90 Mile Radius - 2.2 million

Average Household Income:
1 mile $80,507
3 mile $72,344
5 mile $64,540

Nation’s 29th largest city
Over 1.4 million people within a 45 minute drive

12,000 cars cross this intersection DAILY

More than 6 million tourists a year

Over 100,000 college students within a 45 minute drive

No other outlet center competition within 145 miles

Junction of 3 major national interstates I-35, I-40 & I-44

178 million customers live within a day’s drive

Near airport, museums and Bass Pro

jbrown84
05-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Is it common for a development to have almost 100% leased this early in the process?

traemac
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
there is a little more info on horizongroup.com

kevinpate
05-01-2007, 02:42 PM
> 178 million customers live within a day’s drive

I sure hope they don't all show up on the same day!

John
05-01-2007, 03:36 PM
what does this do to the 'retail' part of core to shore though?

Doesn't affect it. I don't think 'outlet' stores were ever in the plans for C2S. The benefit, though, is that new chains will have a location in the metro, which (depending on their sales), could bode well for getting a flagship store of theirs in C2S or elsewhere. ie; PUMA, Brooks Brothers, Nike, Tommy, etc...

mranderson
05-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Doesn't affect it. I don't think 'outlet' stores were ever in the plans for C2S. The benefit, though, is that new chains will have a location in the metro, which (depending on their sales), could bode well for getting a flagship store of theirs in C2S or elsewhere. ie; PUMA, Brooks Brothers, Nike, Tommy, etc...

What is "C2S?"

jbrown84
05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh, brother. You're just like my 12 year old cousin.

Lauri101
05-01-2007, 03:50 PM
What is "C2S?"

Core to shore, mranderson.

From downtown central business district, south to the river

I believe there is a whole thread of discussion in this forum

John
05-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Oh, brother. You're just like my 12 year old cousin.

heh

But you don't know my 12 year old cousin, do you? I DO! :tiphat:

jbrown84
05-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Core to shore, mranderson.

From downtown central business district, south to the river

I believe there is a whole thread of discussion in this forum

He knows.

Lauri101
05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
He knows.

But, we've been told many times we don't know what he knows!

Oh, almost forgot...I'm sure that's another area of expertise:bright_id

mranderson
05-01-2007, 04:18 PM
But, we've been told many times we don't know what he knows!

Oh, almost forgot...I'm sure that's another area of expertise:bright_id

Funny how some people THINK they can read the mind of someone they have never seen. I hate to break it to the kid, however, I DO NOT know the answer to my question.

Lauri101
05-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Funny how some people THINK they can read the mind of someone they have never seen. I hate to break it to the kid, however, I DO NOT know the answer to my question.

Now you do - I gave it to you above - and you're welcome!

jbrown84
05-01-2007, 04:23 PM
It's not that hard to figure out when about a centimeter above are the words "core to shore", and it is the subject of his post.

SWOKC 4 me
05-01-2007, 04:50 PM
My wife will be ecstatic about this! We go down to San Antonio about once a year or so and always have to stop at the San Marcos outlet centers. She loves them and says she always finds great deals. I say she spends too much money though.

The good thing is maybe people from out of town or even better out of state will now come into OKC and spend "too much money" here too for once!

Now when the families come into town the girls can go to the outlet center while the guys go to the Hornets/Sonics game and they can all meet up for dinner and a movie in Bricktown before spending the night at the Skirvin.

okclee
05-01-2007, 08:30 PM
This is great news for Okc. People do drive from miles around just to shop at these type of places.

The San Marcos just continues to grow and grow, I could see Okc needing to add more outlets nearby, maybe across from I-40, eventually.

Cid
05-01-2007, 08:32 PM
So is the tenant list posted previously in this thread an official list?

brianinok
05-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Wow, this is exciting. And the information on their website sure makes it look like it is a done deal. It looks like this company does quality developments. The rendoring on their website looks good.

Nixon7
05-01-2007, 11:00 PM
how come our newspaper hasn't picked up on this?

John
05-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I hate to break it to the kid, however, I DO NOT know the answer to my question.

Still? :053:

Seriously? :rolleyes:

mranderson
05-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Still? :053:

Seriously? :rolleyes:

I had not seen her post explaining it. I suggest not using initials like the ones that propted the question. There are people who have never heard them.

Although not initials, here is an example. "There is a one hundred dollar bill by the getner. You can have it." How many of you know what a "getner" is?

jbrown84
05-02-2007, 08:15 AM
I had not seen her post explaining it. I suggest not using initials like the ones that propted the question. There are people who have never heard them.

And yet within seconds of posting that question you went to another thread and used the abbreviation "ABQ".

Karried
05-02-2007, 08:41 AM
getner

From Merriam-Webster:
getner

No entries found that match getner.

Were we supposed to use the Red Neck Dictionary?

Sounds like 'Get er done' - Larry the Cable Guy... some of my favorites...

"IGNERT - adjective. Not smart. See "Auburn Alumni."
Usage: "Them N-C-TWO-A boys sure are ignert!"

"FARN - adjective. Not local.
Usage: "I cudnt unnerstand a wurd he sed ... must be from some farn country."

SpectralMourning
05-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Once again another thread is trashed. :-(

y_h
05-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Once again another thread is trashed. :-(

Not trashed . . . only "slightly blemished," which is quite appropriate given it's a thread about an outlet mall.

If the list of stores posted earlier is accurate it looks like you're in for one heck of a nice outlet mall. We have a recently opened outlet mall about 10 minutes from my office. It's got well over a million square feet and is operated by the Mills Corporation. To say it's been a big disappointment is an understatement. A number of the big name brands have already shut down and most of the ones who have remained aren't even top-tier outlets. Hopefully the one in OKC will experience a bit more success than what I'm seeing in my own backyard.

One more word to the wise - just because a retailer puts an outlet in your area doesn't mean that the "main line" store will follow. In a number of cases the outlet stores aren't even owned by the brand they're representing. Nonetheless, it will be good to have better access to those retailers and their products than having to travel elsewhere.

Lauri101
05-02-2007, 03:34 PM

Although not initials, here is an example. "There is a one hundred dollar bill by the getner. You can have it." How many of you know what a "getner" is?

Google says - an amplifier interface used to hook a telephone line to audio input

So what? Are we going to get into a spitting contest over obscure words now?

Personally, I am looking forward to the influx of these businesses - I've missed the Stroud Outlets way too long!

kmf563
05-02-2007, 03:41 PM
if you watch gary england, you'll hear him use that horrible word a million times. usually has to do with getting val on the getner while he watches the tornadic activity. drives me insane. i suppose that's why they created a drinking game to go along with him, to make it more tolerable.

on a note of the shopping, when is this supposed to happen? it's about time!

jbrown84
05-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Yikes, what happened there, y_h? Overbuilt retail?

Karried
05-02-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm always so confused around here.

What does a getner have to do with C2S?

Getner isn't even an abbreviation, possibly not even a word.

mranderson
05-02-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm always so confused around here.

What does a getner have to do with C2S?

Getner isn't even an abbreviation, possibly not even a word.

In a way, you have proven my point. Obviously, you do not know what a Getner is.

mranderson
05-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Google says - an amplifier interface used to hook a telephone line to audio input

So what? Are we going to get into a spitting contest over obscure words now?

Personally, I am looking forward to the influx of these businesses - I've missed the Stroud Outlets way too long!

No. I frequently ask people not to use abreviations or letter codes such as C2S because a lot of people have no idea what they mean. I gave you an example of what most people would not know to prove a point.

Karried
05-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Obviously, you do not know what a Getner is.

From Merriam-Webster:
getner

No entries found that match getner.

Neither does Merriam-Webster.

But I do know what C2S means as it pertains to our discussion.

Getner is like a phone jack... why does it matter?

And what does it have to do with Anything?

SpectralMourning
05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Exactly, Karried. Besides, I never cared what a getner was. How does that pertain to the discussion anyway, Anderson? How is arguing over stupid words constructive in any way, especially when argued in an outlet mall development thread?

stlokc
05-02-2007, 08:46 PM
To follow up on y_h's post,
I concur that St. Louis Mills has been a big disappointment. Part of the problem is its location. It was built a long way from where the affluent population center of St. Louis is. It had a few cool stores at the beginning, but it also had a lot of junk from the beginning. People didn't want to drive 20-30 minutes to shop at a few good stores, when you have to navigate through acres of ordinary stuff. The two or three times I was there, it felt like I wandered and wandered and wandered to find any store I wanted to patronize.

But also it has a lot of competition in St. Louis. When you have malls here with Nieman Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom and dozens of smaller brand-name stores, who is going to go out of their way for a few good outlets? Also, not to be politically incorrect, but because of its location, it began to attract a miscreant crowd. In fact, they recently had to implement a curfew at that mall, children under 18 aren't allowed in there by themselves at night. There have been several fights there.

This mall in OKC sounds very exciting. And because it wouldn't have as much competition and the traffic isn't as bad, it should do better than the one in St. Louis. Although I-40 and Council is kind of in the sticks, being right on the highway should help it out a lot. Still, my fear is that this is one of how many attempts currently underway to up the retail ante in OKC? If good power centers are built on I-35 in Edmond, north of Quail Springs, University Park in Norman, this one on Council...are we diluting the audience a bit? Can all of these places make it? Would we be better off choosing two - say Quail Springs and Norman and concentrating the high quality retail there, so there is a little density of purpose? I'm not a retail expert, just random thoughts... Of course all of this could be concentrated downtown, but that's not exactly the business model for these types of places.

mranderson
05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Exactly, Karried. Besides, I never cared what a getner was. How does that pertain to the discussion anyway, Anderson? How is arguing over stupid words constructive in any way, especially when argued in an outlet mall development thread?

Re-read the posts I have made in this thread. The pertainace is obvious.:numchucks

SpectralMourning
05-02-2007, 09:16 PM
No, you interrupted and were answered. You were then allowed to be baited into a fit when you could've easily accepted the answer you were given. This business is nonsense, so let's go back to talking about development.

Are they going to tie this outlet mall into the Westgate center? Does anyone know what the outparcels will be in front of the Home Depot?

fromdust
05-02-2007, 09:22 PM
do you think it will hurt or kill the other shopping centers? quail, penn etc..

stlokc
05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't think it will destroy the other traditional malls. Almost all of the outlet stores will be unique to OKC and there will always be a market for the traditional Gaps, Abercrombies, Limiteds, etc. The enclosed malls will survive. What I worry about are the other new ventures that are also supposed to be bringing "new" concepts to OKC. Are there enough "new" chains to fill this outlet, and the other 3 or 4?

I would hope that these other centers will attract some of what we don't see in an outlet mall: Crate and Barrell, REI, Whole Foods, World Market.

I'm thinking as I write but I guess if it is all executed well, it will all be OK. I just hope that we don't wind up with three or four ordinary centers instead of one or two really good ones.

(I know I have a tendency to ramble and get off message. Sorry about that)

brianinok
05-02-2007, 10:23 PM
I think if you look at the Oklahoma City market compared to others of similar size, you will find that we are vastly underserved in retail. We have one good mall (Penn Square), 2 okay malls (Sooner, Quail Springs), a bad mall (Crossroads), and 2 small upscale/good shopping centers (Nichols Hills, Spring Creek). Other than that, we have some power centers. It is next to impossible to find parking spots at the decent malls on typical weekends. I even find myself not going to the mall even though I need to because of the crowd. You know what I ended up doing the last time? I just bought what I had put off buying in OKC when I went to Dallas with some friends. OKC can support plenty more shopping options, IMO.

stlokc
05-02-2007, 10:45 PM
BrianinOKC,
I'm sure you're right. It's been a while since I lived in OKC full time and the town has gotten wealthier and bigger since I left.

I'll be watching from afar and hope that all of the new developments are successful. OKC is ready to take the leap to the level of retail that exists in bigger cities. I just hope that it isn't overbuilt, because OKC does sometimes have that tendency. Still, all these places wouldn't be getting financing if some very smart people didn't think they would work. It will be fun to watch.

metro
05-02-2007, 10:49 PM
stlokc Although I-40 and Council is kind of in the sticks,

Not really, it is in the core of the city, the old city, and this I-40 corridor is quickly becoming a retail hub with the huge 1 million sq. ft. plus Westgate Marketplace from MacArthur to Rockwell and the huge development that is also ongoing in Yukon at Garth Brooks Blvd. Not to mention as others have said, its the first thing travelers coming from the West (i.e. Amarillo, Albuquerque, Phoenix) will see as a destination. It's very close to the airport corridor and downtown as well. I see no problem with this area. As brianok has said, this is an underserved market.

okclee
05-03-2007, 07:05 AM
The proximity to the Kilpatrick connection as well, makes the I-40 and Council and ideal spot for a huge retail project like this. The Kilpatrick outer loop will continue to grow and grow in numbers of residential and I am sure that the developer of this project is banking on these numbers of future rooftops.

Pete
05-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Looks like somebody reads this board: :)

Developers are planning outlet mall west of city
By Richard Mize
Real Estate Editor
Local developers are working with Rosemont, Ill.-based investors to develop a factory outlet center on Interstate 40 in far west Oklahoma City.

Terryl Zerby of Zerby Interests and other investors who bought the former Lucent Technologies plant at 7725 W Reno also own the property envisioned as an outlet mall, which is south of the former Lucent property, east of Council Road between Reno and I-40, county records show.

A lease plan put together by Illinois-based Horizon Group Properties Inc.'s office in Muskegon, Mich., shows an eight-building, 330,000-square-foot retail center called Oklahoma Factory Shoppes. The two-page marketing document shows space occupied by Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic, Tommy Hilfiger, Eddie Bauer, Dockers, Ann Taylor, Gap, Nike, Liz Claiborne and other brand-name manufacturers.

The document is the type used to promote such developments and does not mean that the tenants have been signed.

However, Horizon Group, which has developed several outlet centers, presumably has relationships with such manufacturers. In addition to Oklahoma City, the trust's Web page lists sites in Muskegon and Holland in Michigan, Laredo and El Paso in Texas, Huntley, Ill., and Gretna, Neb.

Neither Zerby nor a spokesman for Horizon Group could be reached Wednesday.

Oklahoma Factory Shoppes would be in the vicinity of 28 shopping centers totaling 3.6 million square feet with an occupancy of about 90 percent at the end of 2006, according to Price Edwards & Co. The area also includes 66 freestanding retailers with another 3.6 million square feet of space.

Price Edwards includes the neighborhood in its definition of the metro area's west-central submarket, bordered by NW 39 Expressway north, I-40 south, Lincoln east, plus Yukon and Mustang.

Across the metro area, shopping center occupancy remained stable at around 90 percent, or 2.45 million square feet, through the last half of 2006, with another 665,000 square feet of vacant freestanding retail space, Price Edwards said recently in its year-end retail market summary.

A factory outlet center would be considered a specialty retail property, but with 14 new retail centers under way totaling 3 million square feet, retail forecasters are keeping a close eye on new construction as well as several projects announced but not started, Price Edwards said.

"While it is unclear how much of these strip centers are preleased, there is a sense that many of them are (speculative), and their success could be affected by the large amount of new competition,” the firm said. "We continue to be concerned about this new construction taking tenants from a number of our older centers and causing increased vacancy. Overall, when the announced developments are considered, we predict at least 5 million square feet of new retail properties opening in our market over the next five years. We also believe that a number of older centers will suffer and have to change their market focus if they are to remain viable.”