View Full Version : New Retail Store Coming To Downtown Oklahoma City

Proactive Volunteer
11-15-2004, 03:20 PM
OKCBusiness - Central Oklahoma's Business in Print and Online

Bricktown: NEW RETAIL STORE COMING TO DOWNTOWN OKLAHOMA CITY

Downtown Oklahoma City is keeping in step with its new GOING UP
campaign as it prepares to welcome a new retail store to the area.
Bernard Davis, Oklahoma native and founder of Dallas' Allo Group LLC,
said he is excited about bringing a junior-based retail store to
Bricktown.

"We're starting the first affordable, trendy store in the city," Davis
said.

The retail store, whose name has not yet been revealed, will be located
on East Sheridan Avenue by Club Rane. Marsh Pitman owns the
property.

Davis said the store will be much like Urban Outfitters, catering to 12
to 27 year-olds. Scheduled to open Dec. 15, the 1,300 square feet store
will carry denim priced at $48-$80, tops starting at $24, jackets
priced at $70-$120 and special occasion dresses starting at
$125.

Davis said he saw a need for such a store in the area.

"We just noticed there was huge void there," he said. "In the past, in
order to be directional, you had to be higher end. We're not carrying
high-end brands, so it's affordable."

For more information, visit
http://www.okcbusiness.com/news/news_view.asp?newsid=4851

Luke
11-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Cool. Hope it's a nice place.

Patrick
11-15-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm happy to see more retail moving into the area. We can only give Bass Pro the credit for this! Anyways, I'm glad to see a juniors clothing store moving to the area. It seems like there are a lot of juniors that frequent the Bricktown area, so it should be a hit. I only wish the store was locating on the canal though. Oh well! I guess I shouldn't complain! Maybe this new store will liven up that end of Sheridan and possibly help spur development of the Steel Yard!

floater
11-15-2004, 08:44 PM
This is good news. It seems like the right demographic.

Luke
11-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Just a thought. Wouldn't that be interesting if East Bricktown became the fashion district? Hm...

Nuclear_2525
11-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Hmm...I think that would be awesome. What more could you ask for than hip things to bring in and attract hip people.

Moondog
11-18-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm glad to hear about the "Urban Outfitters" type store coming downtown. But who had the atrocious idea of building that gas station down there? C'mon!

I seldom go downtown, due to my triangular life of school, work and home. But when I did go down there a few weeks ago, I went with a friend to the new Harkins Theatres. We saw "I Heart Huckabees" The movie sucked, but I like that theatre and the Cinecapri is incredible. It was a Saturday night and things were hoppin'. Bricktown has really changed in the past few years. It was hard to believe I was in the City of OKC.

As far as more retail goes....bookstores, more clothing stores and a grocery along the lines of Whole Foods Market. Give it a year or so. I'm sure one or more of those things will be down there.

Luke
11-18-2004, 10:10 PM
It is quite amazing how far Bricktown and downtown overall has come. I am excited about what the years leading up to the centennial will hold. Very exciting!

Patrick
11-21-2004, 01:53 AM
Moondog, you seem to be speaking music to our ears! You're so right when you say Bricktown needs more clothing stores, bookstores, and especially a unique grocery store for the residents that live downtown. I think in due time it will all come together. Just look at how far Bricktown has come. Just 10 years ago there were only a handful of restaurants down there. Now, it's a destination!

Nuclear_2525
01-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Has anyone heard anymore on this? The name of the store? If it's actually going to happen or if it was a hoax? I would like to check out there stuff online but I don't know what the name of the store is.

Midtowner
01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Very good. Retail is coming.

Next step, resedential!

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't understand why they don't just build one of those American Eagles and whatnot in downtown.

Luke
01-12-2005, 05:46 PM
As far as just putting mall-style stores downtown, there's not a specific district for that yet. I think there needs to be a district specifically for retail somewhere downtown.

Perhaps the Galleria Renaissance will be the answer.

Also, as for the orginal topic of this thread, what is the status of that store that is supposed to be coming? Anyone know?

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Well, since the city leaders have such an admiration for San Antone already, why don't we just put a mall in downtown?

BG918
01-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Well, since the city leaders have such an admiration for San Antone already, why don't we just put a mall in downtown?

You're kidding right? Many cities put malls downtown hoping they would attract more people into the area. Well they did but the people just parked in the adjacent lot/garage, walked into the mall to shop, and then walked back out to their cars not spending any time (or money) in other parts of downtown. Providence, RI totally revitalized their downtown/riverfront but then built a huge new mall by the highway next to downtown. Well people didn't go anywhere but the gigantic mall and it killed any other plans for retail and residential in downtown. Now an outdoor mall with a mix of chain and local stores/eateries on-the-street that encourages pedestrian activity throughout Bricktown, now that would be a nice touch...

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 10:33 PM
What taxes I would pay for this! And I would probably have to, lol. The deal is that only one other city has a mall on a riverwalk-San Antone. A great model, but I don't want their crime (highest in the Lone Star State).

metro
01-13-2005, 11:16 AM
anyone know if that store ever opened, I can never find it?

okcpulse
01-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by BG918...

Now an outdoor mall with a mix of chain and local stores/eateries on-the-street that encourages pedestrian activity throughout Bricktown, now that would be a nice touch...

Nice touch, and already planned, but near Bricktown, not in Bricktown.

metro
01-13-2005, 01:07 PM
ok but back to the original post, does anyone know if this store actually ever opened? I can't seem to find it in Bricktown.

Patrick
01-13-2005, 02:51 PM
That's a good question, metro. I haven't seen it eiter and it was supposed to open Dec. 15th. Let's see if Proactive chimes in here. She would probably have some info for us. I'll also contact some VIP's and see if they can give me some info.

Patrick
01-13-2005, 03:45 PM
I contacted the writer of the article in OKC Business. She said she was unaware of the status of that project, but she gave me the contact info. for the company responsible to opening the store.

I'll contact them and let you know as soon as I receive any updates.

Patrick
01-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Here's the website for the company that was going to locate this store in Bricktown.

www.allogroup.net.

I'm not sure how this ties in with the Urban Outfitter store though. I was given a contact by OKC Business and have made that contact at Allogroup. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

metro
01-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Patrick, the store wasnt supposed to be an urban outfitters but a high fashion ladies apparel at low prices store

Patrick
01-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Yeah, you're right...the original article said it was supposed to be a store "similar" to Urban Outfitters. I should receive the answer by tomorrow.

Patrick
01-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Okay, I got a response back from the store's corporate office. Here's what the guy in charge of the Bricktown store proposal had to say:

"Patrick,

Thanks for your interest, we are still planning to open in Brick Town. We recently changed locations which pushed us back. However you expect us very soon.

Bernard Davis"

So, looks like they still plan on opening that high fashion ladies clothing store in Bricktown. I emailed him back and asked if he could give me the new location and an approximate opening date.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Maybe they can move onto the canal... replace one of those here tomorrow gone today shops. The reason I say this, is because these guys ae corporate owned, so it sounds, so they should be more reliable.

Patrick
01-14-2005, 10:22 PM
You're right on Nick! Unfortunately, I don't think they would've had much luck in the location they originally chose next to Club Rane on Sheridan. That are doesn't seem very conducive to retail. But, canal space seems to attract quite a bit of traffic.....and there's plenty of canal space left, especially at the canal level.

I've said this before, but for a business to success on the canal, they either need to have a lot of money up front and know the seasons of Bricktown well, or they need to have other locations to help them pony up the money to keep the Bricktown location alive during slower months. The majority of the businesses in Bricktown that are successful have other locations to make up for Bricktown losses in slow seasons (i.e. winter).
The only establishments I can think of that don't meat that criteria are Mickey Mantle Steakhouse/Stumpy's and Bricktown Brewery. The Brewery was one of the original establishments so they're pretty experienced with the Bricktown market. Mickey Mantles has a good sum of money to live off of during down months.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 11:36 PM
What bothers me about the canal level is that it seems trashed. There is that seafood place on the corner/end and underneat it is a bunch of sacks and garbage, etc, etc.

Nuclear_2525
01-14-2005, 11:51 PM
The majority of the businesses in Bricktown that are successful have other locations to make up for Bricktown losses in slow seasons (i.e. winter).

This is what needs to change though. I know there is no comparison between OKC and NYC, but the cold months don't keep businesses from thriving in NYC. This is what OKC needs to achieve. Get enough retail and residential down there, which is happening, and it will happen. The only thing I worry about is since there is only 1 store besides Bass Pro that is opening, there won't be enough people know about it and go to it because it's easier to go to the mall where everything is together, and it will go out of business. Right now, if OKC was smart, they would set up a tax district or something so they could lure retailers to Bricktown with money. If there aren't many stores downtown, then no one is going to go downtown to shop...just too much hastle.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 11:58 PM
What are you suggesting? The city leaders are smart..

P.S. Oklahoma is broke. He-he.

Patrick
01-15-2005, 12:02 AM
What he's suggesting is that our city leaders could do more to try to lure more retailers downtown. Obviously, they put up incentives to attract Bass Pro. They could offer other incentives to try to attract other retailers. But, I suppose if they tried that, competing retailers might threaten to sue the city for creating an unequal playing field. Everyone remember Academy vs. OKC over the Bass Pro incentives? I city is really sitting between a rock and a hard place when it comes to giving retailers incentives.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-15-2005, 12:13 AM
They give companies like Mills initiatives (I always bring this up) not companies like 7 Eleven. Small shops aren't going to get an initiative. Cheesecake Factory probably won't even, when they come in, whihc we all know will be really soon :). He-he.

Patrick
01-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Problem is if they give Mills an incentive, mall corporations like Simon, Macerich, and General Growth are going to claim the city is giving Mills an unfair playing field. Why should Mills be entitled to city money/incentives, and other corporate owners of local malls not entitiled to similar incentives? I'm sure Midtowner will agree with me on this one!

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Well... I'm stumped. I think you would have a law suit there. It's not fair. Our city leaders should be able to spend money in whatever way it's people wish, not how national corporation's wish.

It's hard to point, but it's the same as the differance betwen Bass Pro and Academy. They don't compare. It's like comparing Crossroads Mall to the Houston Galleria.

jbrown84
07-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Well there is a big difference between regular malls and a Mills mall, which is a fancy outlet mall really. They don't compete that much. But it still probably couldn't happen. I think we just need to be actively promoting our city to companies like Mills to develop new shopping centers.

loganflatt
10-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Has anyone heard anymore on this? The name of the store? If it's actually going to happen or if it was a hoax? I would like to check out there stuff online but I don't know what the name of the store is.

"FireFly"

It's right in front of Harkin's Theater. It's going like gangbusters!

metro
10-31-2005, 07:59 AM
loganflatt, yes, this has been opened for quite awhile, actually several more have popped up since then and firefly is planning another store in bricktown, the denim bar, the most recent is going to be Lit fashion over in Deep Deuce which I already mentioned a week or so ago