View Full Version : Late Night Options?

Millie
04-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Is it just me, or are there relatively few restaurants here that are open late (like 11 or later)? What are some of your favorites?

beatlebutt81
04-29-2007, 08:47 PM
There's fast food places too that you didn't list... Taco Bell, Wendy's, some Sonics, McDonalds, etc.

Not that they're the "best," but there are other options than just the one's you listed.

Keith
04-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Is it just me, or are there relatively few restaurants here that are open late (like 11 or later)? What are some of your favorites?
There are very few "sit down" restaurants that are open late. Just about the only places open are the fast food places. Many of these fast food places will close their dining area by a certain time, but they will leave their drive-thru open 24 hours.

That's the way it is starting to be now. Many drive-thru's are staying open 24 hours.

Millie
04-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I love that there are 24 hour Sonics now.

Still, fast food gets old after awhile.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-29-2007, 11:48 PM
I have heard Madison's Pancake House on NW Expressway and Independence was pretty good.

Jimmy's Round Up used to be good at one time but, I have not ate there in years.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-30-2007, 12:44 AM
While there's not much out there that beats a Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger from Carl's Jr. at 4am...If you want to go in and sit down somewhere, I'll have to go with IHOP. Mainly because they're generally cleaner places than the others.

CuatrodeMayo
04-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Shortcake's in Stillwater...the local greasy spoon.

PUGalicious
04-30-2007, 04:24 AM
I have heard Madison's Pancake House on NW Expressway and Independence was pretty good.
I've eaten there a few times. It's pretty unimpressive. The food and service isn't any better than a Denny's or IHOP.

If you want to go in and sit down somewhere, I'll have to go with IHOP. Mainly because they're generally cleaner places than the others.
I concur. I've stopped in the Belle Isle IHOP a few times in the wee hours of the morning and the service is satisfactory and the fare the same as always... predictable and acceptable for an "after hours" meal.

Shortcake's in Stillwater...the local greasy spoon.
I'll second that! Many a late-night meal did I have at that place. Certainly not a healthy place, from the cholesterol-laden food to the thick second-hand smoke; but the pancakes were AWESOME.

jbkrems
04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Buffalo Wild Wings in West Edmond --- open every night until 1:30AM.

Easy180
04-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Tried the IHOP in B-Town out Sat night after a few hours on the Lit patio...Perfect weather for the patio there and beers were cheap

Looked like prom night for many there so I'm sure they had a lot of fun....Had really good service and let me recommend the cornmeal pancakes (something like that I was a little ____)

But my hands down favorite late night is Waffle House...Great greasy food to pass out on

kevinpate
04-30-2007, 01:04 PM
I first discovered the joy of a Waffle House years and years back. I've never once eaten in one that was anywhere close to being shiny and pristine, but I've never once had a bad meal.

If I am with folks who require a certain level of appearance about a place before they can enjoy themselves, I'm more inclined to wander into an IHoP or Denny's.
Fortunately for me, I rarely hang out late with such folk.

Rifleman2C
04-30-2007, 01:07 PM
IHOP is good regardless what time of day you go... although you risk no service at certain times around closing time and right after church lets out.

Haven't been to a Waffle House in nearly a decade... but the fact that they are still going strong after all these decades speaks volumes.

Flip's is open past two A.M.? How late do they serve food? Good food + good wine + long hours = Nirvana sighting!

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Tried to go to IHOP Bricktown after the bars closed a couple weekends ago and there was like an hour wait. They had a whole room that wasn't even open.

CCOKC
04-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Anybody remember the name of the place that was at 39th and Ann Arbor? I think it was Larry's. It was open 24 hours and my husband and I went there frequently at 1-2 am. Now this place was a dive but it had good food and a nice salad bar. I don't think there is any place in town like that anymore.

Millie
04-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Flip's is open until 2, Rifleman. They serve a limited menu after about 10 or 10:30- just apps, pizza, and some pasta dishes.

metro
04-30-2007, 08:45 PM
CCOKC, yeah Larry's was at Ann Arbor and 39th. I got in my first car wreck there in high school. They tore it down almost 10 years ago and now its a Taco Bell.

Originally Posted by BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe

I've eaten there a few times. It's pretty unimpressive. The food and service isn't any better than a Denny's or IHOP.

I have to agree with BaconCheese, Madison's Pancake House is very UN-impressive and the service is slow for the place being empty usually and the food not very good.

AFCM
05-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Has anyone else ever been to the Stub Your Toe While Walking to the Refrigerator at Two in the Morning Restaurant?.

True story. One of my favorite things to fix, while falling for the midnight munchies, is oatmeal. I choose the unflavored oatmeal you buy in those tall cans and add Splenda and Cinnamon to make it sweet, but healthy. Anyways, I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the 5th Season brand Cinnamon and Chili Powder spice shakers look nearly identical, especially at three in the morning when you're half-asleep. One night, after patiently waiting for my oatmeal to cool, I took a bite and woke up immediately. My mouth was on fire and it wasn't because the oatmeal had come out of the microwave minutes earlier. After that, I was wide awake and still hungry so I just made a bowl of Cookie Crisps. To avoid another incident like this, I moved the chili powder to the second shelf and left the cinnamon on the first.

Ginkasa
05-01-2007, 11:19 AM
IHOP is evil. I hate IHOP. I figure if they'll just ignore me at my table for half an hour (not even taking drink orders), in addition to other errors then I don't need to spend my money there ever again.

Denny's is alright, but the one I go to always seems to be understaffed late at night (or maybe I just go when it happens to be busier than nights normally are).

Smaller breakfast places are usually better, IMO.

y_h
05-01-2007, 01:22 PM
CCOKC, yeah Larry's was at Ann Arbor and 39th. I got in my first car wreck there in high school. They tore it down almost 10 years ago and now its a Taco Bell.

I remember eating at Larry's a few times when I lived out on Lake Overholser. If I recall correctly they had the little jukeboxes at every table which still worked and the available tunes probably hadn't been updated since the day they were installed. They served breakfast all day and that was the big hook for me even though I actually lived closer to Jim's Restaurant. For some reason my housemate and I would eat at Larry's more frequently than Jim's - ironinc considering my housemate's name was Jim.

ksearls
05-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh yes, but nothing can ever top the late night experience of the old Village Inn (AKA Villinn) on Classen where the Grand House is now. You got the Bowery and 39th crowd. It was so wild after the bars closed.

There also used to be a great Gyro/breakfast place on 1-44 between May and Penn. I can't remember the name, if you do, please remind me.

And, there was another place on 39th and Portland that was scary and good. Can't remember that name either! (remember, this was after the bars closed!)

And, of course you can't forget the Girlie Pancake House (they're stacked better) on May and Grand.

Kim

CCOKC
05-02-2007, 09:37 AM
The place at 39th and Portland was the Rustic Inn. Scary is right. When I was a kid it was one of the only places my mom could afford to take us to eat. I was always mortified when we went there. As an adult, I went there all the time and loved it. I think 39th street must have been diner central back in the day. Ann's and Jim's are pretty much the only local diners left.

ksearls
05-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Oh, yes! That's it, the Rustic Inn. Scary indeed but sure tasted great at 3:30 am!! Thanks for the memories (that I really can't remember!)

Kim

Jack Wonder
05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
I love that there are 24 hour Sonics now.

Still, fast food gets old after awhile.

What Sonic is 24 hours??

I used to enjoy IHOP, but I don't ever eat late anymore :)

CCOKC
05-02-2007, 02:56 PM
The Sonic at 23rd and Penn is open 24 hours

Millie
05-02-2007, 05:21 PM
I think it is the Sonic at 23rd and May that is open 24 hours-- they both might be, though (no idea why there are 2 Sonics w/in a mile and a half of each other). I know I've seen at least one other one, but I can't think of where it is.

dismayed
05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
All around town you have several greasy spoon options at all hours of night, such as Denny's, IHOP, and Waffle House.

Around town, there's Taco Cabana, although they seem to be getting flakier by the day. Last summer though the one on N. May in OKC and the one in Norman were open past 2 a.m.

Flip's will serve food up to 2 a.m. There are a few other places too... I think Bin 73 will serve tapas /h'orderves pretty much all night.

In Edmond there used to be this Chinese place near 33rd and Broadway on the West side of the road that would serve food all the way up to 2 a.m. I think it is still there.

In Norman there are several late-night options, mostly in Campus Corner. Gyros, sandwiches, tacos.... Pita Pit is open until 4 a.m.

There are a few sushi places around town that are open until midnight.

Unfortunately that's about it. Still not much of a town for us night owls.

metro
05-03-2007, 09:56 AM
MMMM. Flips Tiramisu sounds good about now.

Kandyegirl
05-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Anybody remember the name of the place that was at 39th and Ann Arbor? I think it was Larry's. It was open 24 hours and my husband and I went there frequently at 1-2 am. Now this place was a dive but it had good food and a nice salad bar. I don't think there is any place in town like that anymore.

Hi all ~

I still miss Larry's! We used to eat there often.... even went to the wedding of one of the waitresses which was held in the "event room" at the back of the restaurant. :) Skyline has jukeboxes at several booths & reminds me a bit of Larry's. No salad bar tho.

Talk about bringing back memories. You mentioning Larry's made me think of two other long gone eateries ~ Sweis Restaurant (NW 39th, just East of May) & Times Grill (Grand & North May). They were also fave stops for us after a night of dancing.

Locally owned, mom & pop places are what we prefer. Diner nerds! ha! The corporate cube does not need our $$$ to stay in biz. OKC has many food options, aside from fast food, that are open late or 24 hours ~ such as ~ Galileo (Paseo), Skyline (SE 15th, just East of I-35), Cousin's (NW 65th & May), Louie's (Lake Hefner), Jimmy's (SW 59th & Blackwelder), VZD's (NW 42nd & Western), Mama Lou's (SE 29th & I-35), Flip's (Grand & North Western), Ashley's (I-240 & South Western), Perry's (SW 74th & May), TapWerks (Bricktown), Edna's (Classen Circle), Cafe Nova (NW 43rd & Western). If we have simply stayed up all night, we hit Beverly's Pancake Corner (NW Exp & Penn) for breakfast cuz they open at 6:30AM. *grin*

Whew! I probably forgot some, but you get the idea.

Enjoy ~
Kandye

Millie
05-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I'd forgotten about Skyline- haven't been there in years. They used to have the best catfish.

aboatman
05-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Perry's down by OKCCC. Pretty decent.
Sauced on the Paseo is open and serving pizza by the slice until 2:00.

ksearls
05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Kandyegirl!

Sweis Restaurant (NW 39th, just East of May) is that one I was trying to remember. Thanks for reminding me! Oh, I have a hangover just thinking of the times I was there!

Kim

okclee
05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but there was a Chinese/Asian place in the Asian district along Classen that was open all night. It was a strange hole in the wall looking place, not one of the nicer looking places on the outside. The full menu was served 24 hrs and if you asked them they would serve you beer all night. Another thing that made this place great and unique was they had karaoke going on in Vietnamese or whatever they were singing. I don't really stay out all night anymore, now that I have wife and kids, but this was a very cool late night dining spot.

Kandyegirl
05-12-2007, 05:45 AM
Kandyegirl!

Sweis Restaurant (NW 39th, just East of May) is that one I was trying to remember. Thanks for reminding me! Oh, I have a hangover just thinking of the times I was there!

Kim

Hey Kim ~

You are welcome! Sorry about the hangover tho.... hahaha! We were there quite often ourselves ~ after dancing for hours at the Wreck Room. A bunch of 16 or 17 year olds who thought we were so grown up. Good memories.

:) Kandye

smacketyanne
05-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Galileo in the Paseo is open until 2am and serves the full menu until 1am.

BFizzy
07-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Chelios at SE 44th and I-35 is 24 hours. It's about the only place in OKC where you can get pizza after 3 AM. I've had it several times, but I couldn't tell you if it is good or not. Also, you may or may not be able to get served beer in a styrofoam cup after 2 AM. I'm just sayin'.

kmf563
07-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Chelios at SE 44th and I-35 is 24 hours. It's about the only place in OKC where you can get pizza after 3 AM. I've had it several times, but I couldn't tell you if it is good or not. Also, you may or may not be able to get served beer in a styrofoam cup after 2 AM. I'm just sayin'.

I may or may not have been there a few times myself.

:yourock: :LolLolLol :Smiley208 :Smiley051

John
07-13-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure what time they close exactly, but Deep Fork Grill is open pretty late and have a menu that is fairly priced.