View Full Version : Bahama Breeze

Pages : [1] 2 3

sdsooners
04-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Anyone know what is going on with Bahama Breeze? I was told by Louie's waiters that all their employees have been told not to return to work and they have already removed the signs. Seems kind of sudden?

Easy180
04-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Wow...That's bad news if they are shutting down...Love that place

Always seemed busy enough especially on the weekends

Millie
04-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Looks like they're gone. The website now shows Memphis as the closest location to OKC.

Easy180
04-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Well the countdown is on for the next tenant...Too good a spot to stay vacant for long

writerranger
04-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Well the countdown is on for the next tenant...Too good a spot to stay vacant for long

No kidding - talk about a prime spot. Maybe we'll get something better.

---------------

BG918
04-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Maybe something local?

Patrick
04-29-2007, 09:20 PM
That's weird. The place was always packed.

Millie
04-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I hope we get a Mexican place there- the patio would be great for chips and margaritas on a summer night...

BG918
04-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Maybe something like Los Cabos, a locally-owned Mexican restaurant that overlooks the river in Jenks. It almost has to be either a Mexican or Caribbean-type place.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-29-2007, 11:09 PM
For the longest time I thought Bahama Breeze was a unique concept to Lake Hefner.

Then I found out that it was owned by Darden Restaurants.

Darden Restaurants (http://www.darden.com/)

The same people that own Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and Smokey Bones.

Chances are it was a cooperate decision based on profit and traffic flow.

I hope we can get something out there that is not in OKC. Mexican food may not due very well out there because pearls lakeside was a mexican restaurant at one time.

The food was good and the service was great. It just did not do well because there are so many mexican food choices in the surrounding area.
Ninos, Abuelos, El Chico, Ted's as well as several other mom and pop places are all within ten minutes of that area.

Millie
04-29-2007, 11:12 PM
^
What do you mean? I can't see Darden pulling Olive Garden and Red Lobster out of OKC.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-29-2007, 11:19 PM
^
What do you mean? I can't see Darden pulling Olive Garden and Red Lobster out of OKC.

I just mean that Darden is looking at making a certain level of profit. When that level drops below expectations they will close the restaurant.

metro
04-30-2007, 08:02 AM
I imagine BaconCheese is right, the traffic flow was good, but such a prime location probably cost them a pretty penny rent wise. Therefore, making their profit margin lower than what the corporate office may target for. I'm sure there will be no problem filling the vacant spot. And FYI, Pearls was never a mexican restaurant. There was previously a mexican restaurant where Pearls Lakeside now is.

SoonerDave
04-30-2007, 08:36 AM
I hope we get a Mexican place there- the patio would be great for chips and margaritas on a summer night...

A Mexican restaurant in Oklahoma City! Now THERE's novel thought. Wish four billion restarateurs (it seems) hadn't thought of it first.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but frankly I'm sick to death of the idea of Yet Another Mexican Restaurant around here. Geez, how many ways can there be to stuff grilled steak or chicken into an enchilada and slap a $10 price tag on it?? There has to be a fresh idea out there somewhere.

-soonerdave

Stinger
04-30-2007, 09:36 AM
I love the location and structure, but wasn't at all into the food at Bahama Breeze. I look forward to an exciting new tenant.

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 09:45 AM
I know it's just a chain restaurant from the people that brought you 10,000 Olive Gardens, but this is their higher end, exclusive brand and OKC not supporting it is a bad sign for our ability to get things like Chipotle and Ruth's Chris.

Easy180
04-30-2007, 09:54 AM
It lasted a good while there...Anyone know how many years?...This may be a good shot for a higher end chain such as Ruth's to break into our market

Hefner isn't real convenient for lunch goers so it will likely be a higher end restaurant no matter what type of food goes in

My guess is a steak place

MadMonk
04-30-2007, 10:04 AM
I know it's just a chain restaurant from the people that brought you 10,000 Olive Gardens, but this is their higher end, exclusive brand and OKC not supporting it is a bad sign for our ability to get things like Chipotle and Ruth's Chris.
But, that place was always packed. How were we not supporting it?

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't know but obviously we weren't supporting it to their standards, so they closed it.

Easy180
04-30-2007, 10:21 AM
I did notice the lunch crowd was pretty weak when I was there so maybe they overestimated in that regard

Or maybe the owner has someone dying to get in that place and jacked up the rent to get it vacated

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Does Hogan still own it?

Patrick
04-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Does Hogan still own it?

Yes!

Julesc2001
04-30-2007, 10:57 AM
The Bahama Breeze chain has been having problems for years, I used to go to one near Dallas, it was always busy, and it closed suddenly... one in Austin did the same thing... I just dont think the concept overall was doing well.

We went to eat there Saturday night and saw the paper signs on the door... what a surprise! They were moving out all the furniture, etc. I cant wait to see what goes in there next! I will miss the Bahamaritas though...

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 11:21 AM
The Bahama Breeze chain has been having problems for years, I used to go to one near Dallas, it was always busy, and it closed suddenly... one in Austin did the same thing... I just dont think the concept overall was doing well.

Thanks for that info. I feel immensely relieved to know that Austin and Dallas locations closed too.

SoonerDave
04-30-2007, 11:53 AM
I think the assessment of BB being "in trouble" for some time is on the money. Darden has an archived press release from 2004 in which it reported the sudden closure of six Bahama Breeze locations, and one of those was in Texas (may be the one referred to in posts above).

I, for one, never really "got" what Bahama Breeze was supposed to be; seafood restaurant, Carribbean food (whatever that might mean), or mostly a watering spot, some/none of the above..? It never appealed to me, but I'm not a seafood person, so that's no biggie.

It would be great if a Ruth's Chris got a tryout up there...

-soonerdave

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 12:09 PM
I know my dad would LOVE a Ruth's Chris. He still contends it's the best steak he's ever had.

Easy180
04-30-2007, 12:43 PM
They are on top of my list as well jbrown...That is one place well worth the money

I would kind of be disappointed if they did come here as it takes away a vaild excuse to head down to Big D for the weekend

oldglory
04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
This was a cool place to grab a drink.......oh well another one bites the dust.

y_h
04-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks for that info. I feel immensely relieved to know that Austin and Dallas locations closed too.

Add St. Louis to that list as well. I drove past our only location on Friday evening and they were open but when I drove by yesterday the signs were covered up and the place was deserted. Sounds to me like Darden is doing some widescale housecleaning - perhaps getting ready to offload a leaner chain on another ownership group.

Any chance the OKC location could be repurposed as another Darden offering such as Olive Garden, Smoky Bones or Red Lobster? They can't do that in STL because each of those chains is already present within 2 miles of the now-former Bahama Breeze.

writerranger
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Add St. Louis to that list as well. I drove past our only location on Friday evening and they were open but when I drove by yesterday the signs were covered up and the place was deserted. Sounds to me like Darden is doing some widescale housecleaning - perhaps getting ready to offload a leaner chain on another ownership group.

Any chance the OKC location could be repurposed as another Darden offering such as Olive Garden, Smoky Bones or Red Lobster? They can't do that in STL because each of those chains is already present within 2 miles of the now-former Bahama Breeze.

It's a public company (DRI), so if we watch this page, we will probably find out what's going on.
Darden Restaurants - Investor Relations (http://investor.dardenrestaurants.com/ir_releases.cfm)

--------------

Easy180
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I sure hope not y_h....Wouldn't be thrilled with any of those three in that prime location

writerranger
04-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Also, their updated map doesn't show many locations left.
http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/15992/2002546551926183356_rs.jpg

--------------------

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Same situation here. All three of them at Quail Springs 3ish miles away and another Olive Garden by Penn Square.

metro
04-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Exactly as jbrown said, they have all 3 of those within 3 miles north to Quail Springs and in another 3 south you have another Olive Garden and Red Lobster on NW Expressway. Even if the Lake demanded a new location, I wouldn't be thrilled by one of those on the lake as Easy180 said.

Easy180
04-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Just for fun....Let's all guess what's going in and see who wins or is closest

Mine....How about a Benihana ...That would make a killing there

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Benihana would be another good addition to OKC.

Patrick
04-30-2007, 03:08 PM
I bet Darden is just chunking the whole Bahama Breeze chain, and I doubt that support at ours wasn't a factor. Lease was probably up. And as leases are up around the country, I wouldn't be surprised to see Darden close all Bahama Breezes.

Too bad Cheeseburger in Paradise already built up on Memorial. That would've fit pretty well there.

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, it's interesting that St. Louis' location close on the same day...

mburlison
04-30-2007, 06:24 PM
If I remember right, before Penn Square fiasco, there was a Benihanas at Rockwell and Northwest Expressway, in that building where Rockwell Bank built on to.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Just for fun....Let's all guess what's going in and see who wins or is closest

Mine....How about a Benihana ...That would make a killing there

Although it would be MUCH better downtown, I'd torture my sister for a Dave & Buster's to go in somewhere here.

Millie
04-30-2007, 07:09 PM
While Benihana and Dave and Buster's may do well somewhere in the metro, I don't think this is the right location.

What about a more upscale seafood place, like McCormick and Schmick's-- that's something I'd love to see up by Hefner.

metro
04-30-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd love to see a BeniHana's here, Shogun, Shiki and Yamato aren't cutting it anymore as good hibachi.

Patrick
04-30-2007, 08:42 PM
I don't think another seafood place is a good option, considering Pearls Lakeside is right there.

dismayed
04-30-2007, 10:03 PM
I just pulled up a few recent SEC filings by DRI and reviewed lots of footnotes. I found that Bahama Breeze is the weakest performing chain in the Darden group. Last years sales were up only 0.3% over last year. By comparison, Olive Gardens sales were up 6.0%, Red Lobster's were up 1.9%, and Smokey Bones' sales were up 3.6%.

So it could be that DRI is changing things up with respect to Bahama Breeze. It's a shame, I loved that restaurant. I can't think of another island food place in town.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-30-2007, 10:10 PM
For all we know they may have shuttered it and plan re-opening it under a new format. I wish we had a Ralph & Kacoo's here. I ate there in Baton Rouge. They had the best seafood I have ever tasted. There menu had a wide variety of seafood and cajun dishes. It put Pearl's to shame.

Ralph and Kacoos | The Seafood Restaurant (http://www.ralphandkacoos.com/main/)

SoonerDave
05-01-2007, 08:40 AM
I don't have the link, but there was an article in today's (5/1/07) Oklahoman that stated Darden had shuttered nine Bahama Breeze restaurants across the country simultaneously, including the one here in OKC. And they were all just about as sudden - no one notified until they showed up for work the next day, basically. I'm no restaurant business expert, but based on thoughtful analysis, I've come to the conclusion that chain is going down the tubes.

I'd love to see a BeniHana's here, Shogun, Shiki and Yamato aren't cutting it anymore as good hibachi.

AMEN! I would LOVE to see a Benihana's! I happen to like Shogun, but I will say that my last two visits there have been - amazingly - prepared by the same cook who looked like he just walked out of McDonald's, and didn't have a clue how to prepare most of the food. The fried rice was essentially unseasoned, the veggies weren't cooked right, etc., etc.. The thing that makes it amazing was that might last visit - a year ago - was prepared by the SAME blasted cook. No way I thought that guy would last a year...

-soonerdave

jbrown84
05-01-2007, 09:00 AM
And he hadn't gotten any better in a year?

Easy180
05-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I am a huge fan of Shogun's...Have never had a bad meal there, but we have noticed a big difference in the chef's over the last couple of years...Very little enthusiasm or presentations anymore other than the obligatory egg roll and volcano

Julesc2001
05-01-2007, 10:10 AM
I am from Houston, so I think of Lake Hefner having a Kemah appeal, (for yall that are familar)... I think something like a Landrys... or Pappadeaux... or maybe even an Aquarium restaurant would be great... when you are on the water, you cant have too many seafood restaurants...

But, then again... having that large outdoor patio makes you want a patio restaurant... like Dick's Last Resort...

If Darden is keeping the location, just changing concepts... we could get a Rocky River Grillhouse, looks yummy... and a new Darden concept.. Rocky River Grillhouse :: Fresh, Bold Flavors in a Log Home Getaway (http://www.rockyrivergrillhouse.com/)

Easy180
05-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I am from Houston, so I think of Lake Hefner having a Kemah appeal, (for yall that are familar)... I think something like a Landrys... or Pappadeaux... or maybe even an Aquarium restaurant would be great... when you are on the water, you cant have too many seafood restaurants...

But, then again... having that large outdoor patio makes you want a patio restaurant... like Dick's Last Resort...

If Darden is keeping the location, just changing concepts... we could get a Rocky River Grillhouse, looks yummy... and a new Darden concept.. Rocky River Grillhouse :: Fresh, Bold Flavors in a Log Home Getaway (http://www.rockyrivergrillhouse.com/)

Great recommendations jules...Would love to see a Pappadeaux go head to head with Pearl's there....Awesome cajun food

Will gladly take a Dick's or the Rocky River concept as well

ultimatesooner
05-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I liked BB. If Cheesburer in Paradise would have waited a year or so this would have been a good spot for them

Julesc2001
05-01-2007, 01:23 PM
yeah, but too bad their food sucks... ha.

Easy180
05-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Not a big fan of Cheeseburger either....Like the atmosphere and the margaritas, but the food was just ok

Julesc2001
05-01-2007, 01:42 PM
yeah, the Pina Coladas are fabulous... and thats about it...

Cid
05-01-2007, 08:30 PM
I was never big on the food at Bahama Breeze anyway.

Contrary to some of the opinions on here so far, I do think it is a good spot, unfortunately. I wish they had never developed that area at all. Lake Hefner is really the only good place to go inside the city limits for bicycle riding. All that additional traffic just takes away from the beauty that once was.

cmm2
05-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Great recommendations jules...Would love to see a Pappadeaux go head to head with Pearl's there....Awesome cajun food

Will gladly take a Dick's or the Rocky River concept as well
good idea, but Pappadeaux would not be able to do the sales that they would need to keep up with their company average. I think the Rocky River Grillhouse is what Darden is changing the Smokey Bones concept to.

metro
05-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I think we've already had Pappadeux in this market. The Joe's Crabshack on NW Expressway used to be a Landry's and then I think it went Pappadeux for awhile before turning into Joe's Crabshack.

Easy180
05-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Sure metro?...I don't remember that, but then again I am a southsider

metro
05-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm not 100% sure since I was fairly young back then, I'm mid twenties now, but I'm positive it was a Landry's and I think it did go Pappadeux for a short while, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't mind seeing another Landry's based restaurant filling Bahama Breeze's place. Perhaps Grotto:

Landry's Restaurants, Inc. (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/restaurants/pg_restaurants.htm)

John
05-02-2007, 01:58 PM
How about a Rainforest Cafe?