View Full Version : Two bicycle shops planned for Automobile Alley

Pete
04-27-2007, 07:50 AM
I believe Metro posted about this some time ago, but I couldn't find the thread.

This is a *great* sign for downtown and the city's core. I'm an avid cyclist myself (actually, more of a triathlete) and bikes and the people that ride them are a big part of any urban culture. Not only are they needed retail, they help organize active, motivated people through rides, lectures, etc.

And all this AA development is really going to help bridge Midtown & downtown.

Fri April 27, 2007
Broadway ‘Alley' becomes block for bicycle buyers
By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

Broadway, once Oklahoma City's original automobile row, may soon become its bicycle row with two competing shops opening for business.

At 900 N Broadway, Steve Schlegel, owner of The Bicycle Store Too in south Oklahoma City, is opening Schlegel's Bicycles. Across the street at 1001 N Broadway, Terry Enos is celebrating his opening this week of Bicycle Alley.

Schlegel, who has been in the business for 14 years, said his expansion responds to a growing base of customers who live in north Oklahoma City and Edmond and who work downtown.

"Automobile Alley seemed like a great location,” Schlegel said, noting continued development downtown and the growing popularity of the nearby Oklahoma River trails.

Schlegel, who hopes to open by mid-May, plans to operate Schlegel's Bagels and Brew, a coffee shop, in conjunction with the bicycle store. He is also in talks with the Association of Central Oklahoma Governments to open a "commuter station,” complete with lockers and showers for urban bicyclists.

Enos said he's not worried the two shops are opening at the same time, though it caught him by surprise. He compares it to two automobile dealerships or drug stores opening on the same corner.

"It just brings more people to Automobile Alley when they're looking at bicycles,” Enos said. "I've got wonderful brands, as will my ‘partner' across the street.”

Schlegel agreed with Enos, calling their shops anchors of a "bodacious block of bikes.”

Enos said his plans date back two years to when he decided to pursue his dream of opening his own business, combining it with his passion for bicycling.

"In 2004, I felt that Oklahoma City was getting to a spot where we didn't need just a basic bicycle store anymore. We're growing up like Dallas and Kansas City, where we are closer to the tier-one cities. So we need to bring something new and exciting into the bicycling community and help us become a healthier community.”

Enos promotes a "healthier lifestyle” as the goal of his new store, saying it's not just about bicycles.

"Bicycles are just what provides the health benefit,” Enos said. "It's easy on the knees, easy on the back, as long as the fit is proper.”

And that's why Enos does more than sell bicycles. The store includes a special computerized fitting area that allows its crew to custom-size bicycles for customers.

The store's stock includes bicycles designed for urban living and outdoor enthusiasts, an area tailored for women and a full range of clothing and accessories. The selection includes retro-style Cruiser bicycles for casual neighborhood riders, Felt brand bicycles (which Enos says are "undersold” in Oklahoma), off-road and mountain bikes and Breezer bikes for urban enthusiasts.

"I didn't locate in the suburbs because I've lived in Heritage Hills for 21 years,” Enos said. "I live five blocks from here. This is my community, this is where I've worked, and this is where I will continue to work. With the resurgence of downtown and Bricktown, all the apartments and condominiums going up, there are several hundreds of units coming on line. And the president of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. has predicted there will be several thousand more residents in 10 years.”

Showers planned, too
Enos envisions his customers riding bicycles from their homes to work, to Harkins Theater in Lower Bricktown, to downtown restaurants and attractions, and of course, to his shop. Enos promises his current location, which includes a waiting area with flat screen television, is just a hint of what's to come this summer.

Within the next few months, Bicycle Alley will move to a permanent storefront on the first floor of 1015 N Broadway, the former home of Habitat for Humanity's Renovation Station. The building, being renovated by Enos' landlord Steve Mason, will allow the shop to include showers, bicycle lockers and a coffee bar.

"There is a lot of change going on,” Enos said. "All the way from downtown Oklahoma City to past 13th and the Mercedes Benz dealership, you can see BMI's wonderful add-on next door, Mr. Mason is doing this block, and you have the Oklahoma City Community Foundation's beautiful new building across the street. The Oklahoma City downtown revitalization is just moving north. You're going to see more retail like myself, more offices. ... Parking is a little more available here, and that's very important.”

metro
04-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Thanks Malibu, yeah but I never started an official thread. I kept meaning to. Great to hear they are incorporating coffee bars and bagels into their stores as well as showers and commuter stations. This is what this city needs!! I drove by both bicycle shops in Automobile Alley and took pictures and will try to post them this weekend, in the meantime here is a pic from today's Oklahoman.

http://static.newsok.biz/sites/newsok/images/business/a27biz.jpg

Terry Enos, owner of Bicycle Alley, thinks downtown Oklahoma City is ready for retail. His store opened this week at NW 9 and Broadway. By CHRIS LANDSBERGER, THE OKLAHOMAN

CCOKC
04-27-2007, 10:41 PM
I was driving down Broadway today and noticed this store was open. It looked like it had quite a few customers at the time.

metro
04-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Which one CCOKC? There are two and they are right across the street just caddy corner.

CCOKC
04-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I only noticed the one on the west side of the street. Not sure which one it is.

Tim
04-30-2007, 01:55 PM
That would be Bicycle Alley. Don't know much about the owner, but I do know that Steve Schlegel has been a fixture in the Oklahoma bicycling community for many years. At present his plan is to fully stock and staff the new store downtown and keep his Southside Bicycle Store Too open as well. I sure hope there is enough business downtown to keep them both going!

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Tim, my dad was thinking there was a Schlegel's Bicycles in Norman? Not true?

metro
04-30-2007, 02:44 PM
jbrown, his other shop is in south oklahoma city.

Tim
04-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Tim, my dad was thinking there was a Schlegel's Bicycles in Norman? Not true?

Nope. Hope you had some beer riding on this! Steve's shop is on the SW corner of SW 59th and Western. It's currently called the Bicycle Store Too, but I think he's planning to rename it Schlegels Bicycles.

jbrown84
04-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Hmmm. Not even in the past?

Tim
04-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Not to my knowledge. That said, I got here in '89, so maybe waaaayyyy back?

Pete
05-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Businessman changes gears, opens bike shop
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record
5/2/2007

Journal Record Photo
OKLAHOMA CITY – After 20 years in the corporate world, Terry Enos decided to stop just pedaling around downtown for fun and do a complete career shift to peddling bikes on Oklahoma City’s Automobile Alley.

Enos opened the Bicycle Alley bike shop last week in a building on Automobile Alley based on the growth and momentum in the area and the anticipated influx of new downtown residents in the coming months and years.

He also wanted to offer a fun, healthy option for downtown dwellers or those just in the area during the day.

“The downtown market was void of something that made their life better,” he said. “By riding a bike you can lower your blood sugar levels, lower your cholesterol levels, build stronger muscles and also lose weight.”

The store is in a temporary space at 1001 N. Broadway, two doors away from its permanent location, which is under renovation.

In the permanent space, Enos said bike storage, lockers and showers will be available for those who want to store their bikes during the day and even possibly take a spin around town at lunch, then shower and return to work.

He said he hopes the bike storage will also appeal to urban dwellers who don’t have space in their homes to store a bicycle but still want access when they want to go for a ride.

Enos said he first came up with the idea in 2004 while still working as a regional manager for NuVox Communications, which kept him on the road a great deal of the time.

In June 2006 he left NuVox and started working on a business plan for a bike shop. By September he secured the financing to start the shop and signed a lease in November.

At that time Steve Mason, owner of the building and who is sinking more than $3.5 million into its renovation, offered Enos the temporary space while his spot on the ground floor at 1015 N. Broadway Ave. was completed.

Enos plans to be in his permanent space by late summer.

Among the offerings at the shop, Enos has a staff of four that do everything from build bikes to sell them. He and the staff also custom-fit each customer to a specific bike based on their specifications and body dimensions.

Using a program called Body Scanning, each customer is measured for height and body width to pair them with the perfect bike.

Prices range from $300 up to $7,500 for the casual to the serious bike rider.

“I’ve got the beginning bicycle, the commuting bicycle and I’ve got the really-really-go-fast bicycle,” Enos said.

Plans call for a large counter area where customers can sip coffee and have wireless Internet access while they talk shop with bike professionals.

Plans also call for a road condition simulator for cyclists. The device will allow bikers to ride a stationary bike while watching a simulation of a road or trail in front of them.

Enos also plans to install a neon sign that will extend more than seven feet from the shop’s permanent space that will be visible to downtown traffic on Broadway Avenue and NW 10th Street.

Enos said he was excited at the prospect of opening his business with a downtown address and still close to his home in the Heritage Hills neighborhood.

“I’ve always lived and worked in or near downtown,” he said. “It was perfect. I wanted to move downtown (and) Automobile Alley is the newest upcoming corridor in north downtown.”

BailJumper
05-02-2007, 08:32 AM
This will be great. I hope they make it an do well. I'd love a good bike shop to visit. The last time I was in an Al's it was a joke.

BailJumper
01-06-2008, 08:01 AM
I just saw an ad for Bicycle Alley in downtown OKC. They promote certified technicians with "body geometry degrees." I googled "body geometry degree" and couldn't find anything. Does this degree really exist or is this a misleading ad? I honestly have no idea.

soonerkev
01-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Yes it does exist. Its basically a high tech way of fitting you to the bike. What they do is take a bunch of measurements and then input them into a computer so they can get the best fit for the rider. I believe Schlegel bikes has something similiar.

BailJumper
01-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I understand what they do - what I was asking is if a DEGREE actually exists - as they claim in their ads. If it exists, can someone point me to a link with info.

Karried
01-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Professional Bicycle Fitting Services from Fit Kit Systems (http://bikefitkit.com/)

Bicycle Fitting Instruction/Training
We have developed instructional DVDs and materials (http://bikefitkit.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/23) to go with our bicycle fitting kits. These will get you and your staff up to speed with the professional fitting skills necessary to confidently fit your bicycle customers. We have a number of training options available:
• Consulting with you over the phone
• Putting a package together to do an on-site fit training
• for your employees
• Attending a bicycle Fit Training Seminar
• Online bicycle fitting tutorials for you and your staff
Please go to our dealer support area (http://bikefitkit.com/dealer/index.php) for the latest information on these support options.

ultimatesooner
01-07-2008, 10:44 AM
I understand what they do - what I was asking is if a DEGREE actually exists - as they claim in their ads. If it exists, can someone point me to a link with info.

body geometry is a specialized term, and this shop is a specialized dealer

here is a link to body geometry stuff from specialzed's website

http://www.specialized.com/bc/techlab_bg.jsp

MadMonk
01-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Heh, if that constitutes a degree then I hold Automotive Tire Design, Offset Printer Optimization and Cellular Telephone Repair "degrees". ;)

Not to say that it's a bad thing. It sounds a little like getting fitted for golf clubs.

metro
01-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Cool MadMonk, and I probably hold a "goofing off on the internet expert degree".

metro
03-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Automobile Alley News
Bicycle Alley is holding its GRAND OPENING Thursday, April 3rd in their new store located at 1015 N. Broadway. Events will include the introduction of their new coffee shop called Coffee Slingers, a cycling fashion show, and purchases that day will benefit American Diabetes Association.

For more information, visit Home - bicyclealleyokc.com (http://www.bicyclealleyokc.com)

betts
02-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Is Schlegel's moving across the street? Today while I was on Broadway, I noticed that the space right next to the new Hideaway had several large posters in the window with the Schlegel logo. Has anyone heard anything about this?

OKCTalker
02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Yes - Steve Schlegel is EXPANDING across Broadway - this will be a second location. The PRESENT location will be dedicated to racers, teams and meat-eating triathletes (a/k/a "tri-geeks") like Brzycki. The SECOND location will cater to families, kids and the typical recreational cyclist. The west location will have offices, showers for commuters, mechanic workstations, shipping/receiving, etc. Incidentally, the buildings are now owned by Meg Salyer - Chris Salyer is apparently out. This may be in another thread, but I just learned it last week.

Dustin
02-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know if they sell trikkes?

okclee
02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
How about bicycle rentals?

After Project 180 and all of the bike lanes downtown, it would be great to rent out bicycles for the day and cruise all around downtown, Bricktown, Oklahoma River area, etc.

okclee
02-28-2011, 09:42 PM
I seem to recall that there was some type of bicycle grant that the City received to set up bike rack rental stations in various places throughout downtown. Does anyone else remember this as part of Project 180?

If so that would be good, but I also like the idea of "the lone bicycle store" in downtown to have rentals too. There are many people that would rather rent a bike from a bicycle store than would rent from a bike kiosk or the like.

I ride my bike, just for recreation, all over downtown, midtown, bricktown, deep deuce, and all along the Ok river trails. It is very enjoyable to ride as is but, it will be awesome once Project 180 is complete and there are actual bicycle lanes for this type of recreation.

BoulderSooner
03-01-2011, 07:02 AM
I seem to recall that there was some type of bicycle grant that the City received to set up bike rack rental stations in various places throughout downtown. Does anyone else remember this as part of Project 180?

If so that would be good, but I also like the idea of "the lone bicycle store" in downtown to have rentals too. There are many people that would rather rent a bike from a bicycle store than would rent from a bike kiosk or the like.

I ride my bike, just for recreation, all over downtown, midtown, bricktown, deep deuce, and all along the Ok river trails. It is very enjoyable to ride as is but, it will be awesome once Project 180 is complete and there are actual bicycle lanes for this type of recreation.

that project is coming .. they are looking at partnering with OCU to run the system .. but it should be here this summer they had a report about it 2 or 3 council meetings ago

OKCTalker
03-01-2011, 08:46 AM
There are at least three approaches to this that I know of. The first is bike rentals to the public via vending racks, but they are problematic due to vandalism and theft. The Paris Velib system uses sturdy bikes that cost $500 apiece. They announced 20,000 bikes and initially rolled out 15,000, of which more than half quickly disappeared. Some were simply stolen, others were discarded in canals, and some ended up on YouTube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afE44cHNkEg&eurl=http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archives/2009/2/9/4087228.html The head of the program stated that replacement and maintenance costs are "so high that a private business cannot handle it alone." How would OKC citizens feel about a public subsidy of bike rentals?

The second type of rentals exist today - contact Schlegel Bikes and arrange to rent one. I rode with a guy 10 days ago from Southern California who was in town for a few days, and he rented a bike from Schlegel. I don't think that it's much of a money-maker, and it would take a lot of time for paperwork, bike fitting, equipment checkout, etc., and there is the personal injury liability aspect - the bike shop's liability coverage could easily eat any profit they'd make. That said, I'm planning a trip to NYC later this year, and I'll be renting a performance road bike while I'm there (the airlines are too expensive and unreliable for me to ship my own bike). But NYC has the bike rental demand that OKC does not.

The third type of rental is a semi-public one as run by UCO in Edmond, in conjunction with Al's Bicycles and Flat Tire Burgers. I understand that the bikes are owned and managed by UCO, sold and maintained by Al's, sponsored by Flat Tire, and available to university students and employees. I don't know the latest on that program, but it's been underway for about three years.

Tedski
03-01-2011, 10:03 AM
The Chesapeake boathouse offers bicycle rentals

okclee
03-01-2011, 10:33 AM
The Chesapeake boathouse offers bicycle rentals

Nice to know, but that is a little out of the way for people in the downtown area, and right now it is very difficult to bicycle from the boathouse area over into Bricktown or downtown.

BoulderSooner
03-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Can you PM me contact info for the people working on it?

i will look through the council min and see what i can find

BoulderSooner
03-01-2011, 10:58 AM
the Feb 8, 2011 council min .. ITEM X ...c bike share program .. http://okc.gov/AgendaPub/meet.aspx middle of page .. then at bottom of council min

BoulderSooner
03-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I am just getting directed to the meeting schedule main page

right scroll down to the FEB 8, 2011 City council min click on the agenda .. and go to ITEM X letter C

BoulderSooner
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Oh sheesh. Thanks!

no problem