View Full Version : More proof that a new arena will need to be on the table soon, rightly or wrongly...

Theo Walcott
04-26-2007, 02:17 PM
From Chris Sheridan, ESPN insider:

"There is a very, very small chance that the SuperSonics have played their last game in Seattle. I'm told that at a meeting Tuesday with more than 100 Sonics employees, owner Clay Bennett said he was "99 percent" certain the team will be back in Seattle for the start of the 2007-08 season. Now, the last time I recall anyone in the NBA saying they were 99 percent certain of something, it was when Michael Jordan retired from the Chicago Bulls. And we all know how permanent that ended up being. I also heard it is not a slam dunk that Bennett will move the Sonics to Oklahoma City, even though every single member of his ownership group is from there. Apparently, Kansas City is so eager to get a flagship tenant for its new arena, signals have been sent to Bennett and a handful of other owners that the deal they could get in K.C. would be far superior from an economic standpoint to whatever deal any of them might make elsewhere."

jbrown84
04-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Sure would piss alot of people off if they went to KC instead of OKC.

Easy180
04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
From Chris Sheridan, ESPN insider:

"There is a very, very small chance that the SuperSonics have played their last game in Seattle. I'm told that at a meeting Tuesday with more than 100 Sonics employees, owner Clay Bennett said he was "99 percent" certain the team will be back in Seattle for the start of the 2007-08 season. Now, the last time I recall anyone in the NBA saying they were 99 percent certain of something, it was when Michael Jordan retired from the Chicago Bulls. And we all know how permanent that ended up being. I also heard it is not a slam dunk that Bennett will move the Sonics to Oklahoma City, even though every single member of his ownership group is from there. Apparently, Kansas City is so eager to get a flagship tenant for its new arena, signals have been sent to Bennett and a handful of other owners that the deal they could get in K.C. would be far superior from an economic standpoint to whatever deal any of them might make elsewhere."

Interesting...He would need to find him a home in KC if the Sonics do end up there

Let me also say...Our city leaders will come up with something to counter KC with IF it ever comes down to it...OKC is just as eager to have our own

PUGalicious
04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Interesting...He would need to find him a home in KC if the Sonics do end up there
Why would he need to do that?

Let me also say...Our city leaders will come up with something to counter KC with IF it ever comes down to it...OKC is just as eager to have our own
You mean like a bigger and better, new arena!

Easy180
04-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Why would he need to do that?

You mean like a bigger and better, new arena!

Well he could stay here, but he would be treated like scum of the earth

And I would cancel my subscription to the paper in protest!!!....Yeah take that Clay!!

jbrown84
04-26-2007, 02:56 PM
It would be one thing if it worked out to stay in Seattle, but if Bennett moved the team to somewhere other than OKC, there would be hell to pay.

PUGalicious
04-26-2007, 02:59 PM
It would be one thing if it worked out to stay in Seattle, but if Bennett moved the team to somewhere other than OKC, there would be hell to pay.
Like what??? It's their money. They are, afterall, as MrA has so correctly pointed out, businessmen first.

Easy180
04-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Like what??? It's their money. They are, afterall, as MrA has so correctly pointed out, businessmen first.

Can't just assume that is the case with sports owners pug...Lot of other factors in owning a sports team...Some buy them just cause they can and they love the sport

Just ask Steinbrenner and Cuban...Can't even picture how many zeroes on the end of the figures they could have sold their teams for but havent

jbrown84
04-26-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm just talking about how the people of this city are going to feel. Bennett may not be effected directly by OKC consumers, but I'm sure his investors would.

Patrick
04-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Bennett better watch his back if he moves the team elsewhere. That's what we're trying to say.

John
04-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Bennett better watch his back if he moves the team elsewhere. That's what we're trying to say.

Is that a threat from Patrick? ;)

Kerry
04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Bennett is not moving the team to KC. I am sure the heads of MidFirst Bank, Dobson Communications, and Bob Howard would suffer greatly if the team goes to KC instead of OKC. Look, it is this simple. The people that own the Sonics have a vested interest in seeing OKC grow. Whatever money they make off the Sonics pails in comparrison to what they make in their day jobs. Bringing the Sonics to OKC would reap rewards way beyond just the Sonics. Unless someone can explain to me how MidFirst Bank benefits with the Sonics in KC more than OKC then there is no way I would believe the Sonics are going anywhere other than OKC.

I can't blame KC for spreading rumors and doing anything they can to wiggle in. After all, they tried the "build it and they will come" plan but it doesn't look like anyone is coming. If I was KC I would be starting to develop an inferiority complax also. They spent the last 100 years playing second fiddle to St Louis and now they are being passed by OKC in the region. That has to hurt a little.

okclee
04-26-2007, 07:02 PM
The commissioner of the NBA, David Stern, was asked point blank on ESPN news in a one on one interview.

"if you had one choice of anywhere in the world to place a franchise, which city would you choose?"

He answered without hesitation, "Oklahoma City."

That interview took place last tuesday on ESPN news the Hot Spot. The interviewer threw out the cities of Kansas City, London, Las Vegas, and Oklahoma City.

The next team to move be it the Sonics or whoever will land in Okc. David Stern is not a man that speaks double talk. Anyone who follows the NBA knows that if David Stern says something that he sticks to it.

chuckdiesel
04-26-2007, 09:34 PM
The commissioner of the NBA, David Stern, was asked point blank on ESPN news in a one on one interview.

"if you had one choice of anywhere in the world to place a franchise, which city would you choose?"

He answered without hesitation, "Oklahoma City."

That interview took place last tuesday on ESPN news the Hot Spot. The interviewer threw out the cities of Kansas City, London, Las Vegas, and Oklahoma City.

The next team to move be it the Sonics or whoever will land in Okc. David Stern is not a man that speaks double talk. Anyone who follows the NBA knows that if David Stern says something that he sticks to it.

London? I don't see that one happening.
I will say OKC as well as KC, Vegas, and probably St. Louis will all have a franchise within the next decade. If we don't get the Sonics it doesn't mean we are instantly off the NBA map, although it would slow things down incredibly.

metro
04-26-2007, 10:23 PM
I suspect San Diego will have a franchise before St. Louis. Sonics or expansion will probably come to OKC and Hornets will probably go to KC.

AFCM
04-26-2007, 10:47 PM
London? I don't see that one happening.

Actually, the Oklahoman reported that the NBA is considering expanding to Europe, which would be why OKC needs to land this team ASAP.

okclee
04-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Here is what David Stern said Wednesday in Toronto about the NBA in Europe.
Stern promises to bring NBA to Old World (http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=a7c346a7-2281-404c-b870-886665b71441)

Stern promises to bring NBA to Old World
Expansion to Europe; 'In 20 years, five franchises playing in NBA' Adam Gonshor, National Post
Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 Article tools
Printer friendly

Font: * * * * TORONTO - Having four NBA teams hold their training camps in Europe next season is a giant step for the league in its continued efforts to globalize its game.

NBA commissioner David Stern said it is just the beginning.

"NBA in Europe. Write it down. In 20 years, five franchises playing in the NBA," Stern, who was in town to present the coach of the year trophy to Toronto Raptors coach Sam Mitchell, said before last night's game against the New Jersey Nets.

The league announced in March that the Raptors, Boston Celtics, Memphis Grizzlies and Minnesota Timberwolves would all hold their training camps in European cities in October.

"The opportunities are coming to us," Stern said. "We just have to stay the course and take them on."

Oklahoma City is first on the list and we will be the city to land a team next.