View Full Version : Urban Neighbors-Call for Members & Volunteers!

Misty
04-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Urban Neighbors, Downtown’s Neighborhood Association is now official and ready to launch! Our 6-member planning group has been working very hard since January and we are now ready to start recruiting members and volunteers to serve on various committees! We are having a press release & logo unveiling after the City Council meeting Tuesday, May 8th at City Hall. Our first monthly social is Thursday, May 10th at Nonna’s at 5:30 P.M., complimentary appetizers provided by Nonna’s with a cash bar. We have three levels of membership and this is the annual membership fee:

Resident Membership-$25 for members living downtown (includes voting rights)
Associate Membership-$25 for friends of downtown (no voting rights)
Business Membership-$100

We could use some assistance getting the word out to all the current and potential downtown residents. If anyone is interested in membership, serving on a committee, or just helping spread the word please let me know! All are invited to both the press conference and social at Nonna’s, please come join us! We will be having a social at a different downtown location the 2nd Thursday of each month.

Thanks!
Misty Kemp

metro
04-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Misty, I'm all in support of Urban Neighbors, but how come they keep saying its "the official downtown neighborhood association" and only one as well. Call me crazy but the Downtown Residents Association or more commonly DRA has been going for over 3 years now.

Also, I'm a downtown worker and resident and am interested in possibly joining, at least getting more involved.

Pete
04-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Fantastic idea!

Wow, it's exciting to see some of these grass-roots, citizen-driven organizations that have the best interest of OKC at heart.

Are you planning to have a website? Would be a great way to organize and communicate -- plus solicit donations.

Misty
04-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Jeff Bezdek started the DRA and he is our first Urban Neighbors President. When we first started organizing and talking about doing this the Mayor referred us to Jeff and the organizations joined together. The DRA was never incorporated or set up through the Neighborhood Alliance as an “official” neighborhood association. So now we have Articles of Incorporation & Bylaws and basically a new name. We will have a website, urbanneighbors.org (http://www.urbanneighbors.org) It’s still being developed but should be up and running soon. The six member planning board that has put this together consists of Jeff Bezdek, David Remy, Dick & Sharon Rodine, Paige Gregory and myself. We couldn’t have done it without the help of Georgie Rasco at the Neighborhood Alliance. If you have an idea for a committee you’d like to start & head up please let us know! We thought we’d let the new members decide what committees we would have based on interest rather than just creating a bunch of committees and looking for people to fill the committee chair positions.

metro
04-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Yes he did, and I helped him start it up as well as a few others. I didn't mention his last name publically since we try not to mention site members full names for privacy sake, at least not w/o their permission. I'm having lunch with him next week to talk about it since I haven't spoken to him lately. Since the DRA never got too much support, Jeff , myself and others quit having the meetings as often. If Jeff is involved with Urban Neighbors, go ahead and count me in for sure! Count me in for a committee as well!

Just FYI, here is a past post on DRA , doubt it will be helpful, but knowledge nonetheless:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/6328-downtown-residents-association-meeting.html?highlight=downtown+residents+associat ion

Misty
04-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Great! I look forward to meeting you & having you involved!

Misty
04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Doug L. has agreed to head up our History Committee! Alright!

jbrown84
04-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Great choice!

Doug Loudenback
04-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Great choice!

Ha ha! We shall see! :Smiley259 Since I don't live downtown but live in Mesta Park, I won't be eligible to vote, though, so I guess I can't do too much harm! :kicking:

Misty
05-02-2007, 11:50 AM
We're glad to have you Doug! FYI-We decided to start the social at 5:00 instead of 5:30 AND paid members will receive complimentary beverages. Hope we have a great turnout! Don't forget cocktails on the skyline at OKCMOA afterwards!

metro
05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm excited to be heading up the Civic Committee. Hey Misty, I won't be able to be at the first social, I'll be out of town on business.

Misty
05-02-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm excited too! Sorry you won't be able to make the social, if you're available for the press conference please join us.

Doug Loudenback
05-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Urban Neighbors, Downtown’s Neighborhood Association is now official and ready to launch! Our 6-member planning group has been working very hard since January and we are now ready to start recruiting members and volunteers to serve on various committees! We are having a press release & logo unveiling after the City Council meeting Tuesday, May 8th at City Hall. Our first monthly social is Thursday, May 10th at Nonna’s at 5:30 P.M., complimentary appetizers provided by Nonna’s with a cash bar. We have three levels of membership and this is the annual membership fee:

Resident Membership-$25 for members living downtown (includes voting rights)
Associate Membership-$25 for friends of downtown (no voting rights)
Business Membership-$100

We could use some assistance getting the word out to all the current and potential downtown residents. If anyone is interested in membership, serving on a committee, or just helping spread the word please let me know! All are invited to both the press conference and social at Nonna’s, please come join us! We will be having a social at a different downtown location the 2nd Thursday of each month.

Thanks!
Misty Kemp
Soooo ... where do we pay to become a member? Address/link/whatever?

Misty
05-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Eventually you will be able to pay on our website at urbanneighbors.org (http://www.urbanneighbors.org), but it's still under development. You can pay at the door at the social at Nonna's or you can mail payment to us at P.O. Box 2293, OKC, OK 73101. Our new member sign up form should be ready within a day or so. If you do mail a payment we will just need your contact info included with it until we have the form uploaded on the net.

metro
05-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Misty, one thing you may need to clarify to the public is that is the $25 membership per person or household. Alot of us downtown residents, and especially the ones that will move in these newer developments (Block 42, Maywood, Harvey Lofts, Central Ave. Villas, etc.) will be families or couples. What is the plan for that as most Home Owners Associations (HOA's) typically cover a househould and not each individual.

Misty
05-03-2007, 02:52 PM
We did discuss have an individual membership at one price and a family membership at another. We decided to keep it simple and just charge $25 per person. One thing to keep in mind as well is that everything we've done so far is just to get us up & running. As we build a membership base anything can be changed down the road based on member preferences. We will need a few more board members (board members must reside downtown) and committee chairs (committee chairs/members do not need to be downtown residents). We plan to have an 8 member board but only have 4 people so far, so hopefully we'll have some interested people at the social at Nonna's!

jbrown84
05-03-2007, 03:03 PM
I have a friend who may be moving back here and if so we may be moving downtown. What area is considered downtown for you guys, Misty?

Misty
05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Our boundaries are Classen on the West, Highway 235 on the East, the Oklahoma River to the South and 13th Street to the North. My favorite rental place that I've seen so far is Sycamore Square. Lots of trees, flowers, birds, it's really cute and the floorplans are perfect for roommates.

jbrown84
05-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the tip. I really hadn't considered it because of the suburban style, but I guess I should give it a try.

metro
05-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Just wanted to remind everyone the official unveiling is tomorrow at the City Council meeting. From what I understand, you should get there around 9:45-10:00 to get there in time for the official unveiling!

jbrown84
05-07-2007, 11:04 AM
We are leaning towards the Park Harvey or Deep Deuce now.

metro
05-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Go to the Park Harvey, we need more CBD nightlife!!

jbrown84
05-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I really like the Park Harvey (inside) but it may be a little high for us, especially considering that parking is extra.

Anyone know how much a monthly parking pass goes for in the Galleria garage?

Doug Loudenback
05-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Just wanted to remind everyone the official unveiling is tomorrow at the City Council meeting. From what I understand, you should get there around 9:45-10:00 to get there in time for the official unveiling!
I'm bringing my camera!

metro
05-08-2007, 07:22 AM
I'll see you there Doug.

jbrown, I think normally its around $92 a month but I know that Park Harvey has made special arrangements for lower monthly parking rates for their residents. And with the current special that they're running with free utilities for a year, I think that's a good trade off.

jbrown84
05-08-2007, 08:09 AM
And with the current special that they're running with free utilities for a year, I think that's a good trade off.

Whoa, I hadn't heard about that.

metro
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah, they've been advertising it in the Journal Record and such. I think you have to sign a one year lease, but hey, you get free utilities for that year.

FYI, the press conference for Urban Neighbors went great this morning, Doug, Misty, and Urban Pioneer were there. Unfortunately there was a lack of media due to the jail break at the County Jail near the same time. I took pics though and will post soon.

jbrown84
05-08-2007, 10:30 AM
I checked the Journal Record ads and they mention a "move in special", but don't say what it is.

Misty
05-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Today went great at city hall! Thanks so much to all who have helped get this organization up and running! Hope to see lots of you at Nonna's Thursday. There is an e-vite for the event, if anyone wants it e-mailed to them or anyone else just send me a private message on this site with the e-mail addresses listed and I'll forward it out.

metro
05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
pic of the press conference:

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1732/cat/500/ppuser/204

Karried
05-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Who's who... from Left to Right?

Misty
05-08-2007, 01:57 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHH! I look hideous! I hate having my pic taken. I'm the one in the middle. Nice deer in the headlights look on my face.

Karried
05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Not so! You look beautiful!! Was anyone else from OKCTalk there?

jbrown84
05-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Who's who... from Left to Right?

yeah

Cool logo, Misty.

metro
05-08-2007, 03:01 PM
well from left to right: the first girl isn't a member of OKCTalk to my knowledge, then myself (metro), then Misty in the middle, then another guy who isn't a member of OKCTalk to my knowledge, then Urban Pioneer.

Sorry for the vagueness and screennames, I didn't want to post everyone's full name w/o their legal consent although I'm sure you'll see them in the papers later this week.

Misty
05-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Todd Clark did the logo for us, he's the one beside me with the shaved head. We are very pleased with it as well! Todd rocks. Doug and Metro were there and I see that Metro posted that Urban Pioneer was there, I did see him talking to a person I didn't know so that must have been Urban Pioneer. Hopefully he comes to the social too so I can meet him!

jbrown84
05-08-2007, 03:05 PM
No problem, just wanted screennames.

metro
05-08-2007, 03:07 PM
actually Misty our president is Urban Pioneer. the one on the far right. and yes, Doug Loudenback was there, however we didn't get him in the picture although we should have! I'm sure he'll be at upcoming meetings where he'll have the chance though!

Doug Loudenback
05-09-2007, 02:34 AM
No problemo on my mug, Metro ... it's ugly! I'll post a blog post shortlly about this event/organization which is superb!

This is just a graphic I put together in honor of the event and day ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/urbanneighbors/urbanneighborsm.jpg

The background "light" is the city council chamber's fixtures ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/urbanneighbors/urbanneighbors_5_8_07_01.jpg

... though this one would have served nicely, too ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/urbanneighbors/urbanneighbors_5_8_07_02.jpg

metro
05-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Downtown organization seeks second chance

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer
A second attempt to organize a downtown Oklahoma City residents' association begins this week with presentation Tuesday to the Oklahoma City Council and a public gathering Thursday at Nonna's in Bricktown.

Jeff Bezdek, president, thinks an association will succeed because of the influx of owner-occupied housing and an expanded mission the second time around.

"The downtown residents association, as it was called, was basically responsive to issues,” Bezdek said.

"But as those issues went away, we had difficulty maintaining membership. Also, so many of the members were renters. But now that downtown is converting toward ownership, we're finding a more stable ownership base.

"In addition, this organization is designed to foster a quality of life, not only through residential members but also through business members who might support residential life.”

Reorganization of a downtown residential association began with an inquiry by Misty Kemp, a recent transplant from downtown Austin who was house hunting at the Block 42 condominiums in downtown Oklahoma City's Flat Iron district. Kemp said when she was asked about the existence of a residents association, she was encouraged to form one. She then turned to Mayor Mick Cornett, who told her of a previous effort by Bezdek, who lives and works in Deep Deuce.

"I have great friends here,” said Kemp, who is still looking at housing options. "We lived here previously, and like a lot of people, we want to live downtown.”

Bezdek and Kemp say the new organization will at times get involved in issues impacting downtown residents — the concerns faced previously involved streetscapes along Main Street and NW 5.

But this time, social networking and opportunities for residents to discover downtown merchants will be the main focus, Bezdek said.

"We're pretty excited,” Bezdek said. "There are enough people downtown that something like this can work. It's needed, and it was needed before.”

The association has the support of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., and will be seeking to post window decals in the spirit of the downtown organization's "Up” campaign.

Kim Searls, spokeswoman for Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., said the new association coincides with the pending addition of 1,600 housing units downtown.

"I would expect that 1,600 will convert in up to 3,000 more people living downtown,” Searls said. "That almost doubles our population.”

Searls said she expects downtown businesses will embrace the new association.

"It's going to give them an extra sales opportunity,” Searls said. "It will help the developers market downtown living, which helps us. It lets them say, ‘There already is this group, you have social events, and when you move downtown, you'll have this built-in group of friends when you get here.'”

AT A GLANCE
Urban Neighbors to meet Thursday
An Urban Neighbors information meeting will be hosted at Nonna's, 1 Mickey Mantle Drive, 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Memberships run $25 for residents and associates, and $100 a year for businesses. For more information, contact Urban Neighbors at info@urbanneighbors.org or visit Urban Neighbors (http://www.urbanneighbors.org).

Karried
05-09-2007, 08:16 AM
That's wonderful.....kudos to Misty for getting it together. ( and for Doug & metro & anyone else for joining).

I think this will be a great asset for Downtown... putting words into action.. very nice.

J-Dub
05-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Hello all i am new to the forum but would like to attend the social on Thursday, the press release says 6:30 but i have seen 5:00 and 5:30 posted here. Can anyone clear up the time.

Misty
05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
It starts at 5:00. Sorry for the confusion! I look forward to meeting you tomorrow J-Dub!

Karried
05-09-2007, 01:56 PM
AT A GLANCE
Urban Neighbors to meet Thursday
An Urban Neighbors information meeting will be hosted at Nonna's, 1 Mickey Mantle Drive, 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Memberships run $25 for residents and associates, and $100 a year for businesses. For more information, contact Urban Neighbors at info@urbanneighbors.org (info@urbanneighbors.org) or visit Urban Neighbors (http://www.urbanneighbors.org/).

I wonder if the paper can correct it in time??http://www.okctalk.com/images/vbe2blue/misc/progress.gif

Misty
05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I'll give them a call and see if they can run a correction, but we decided that we will keep the social going as long as people are there! If people don't show up until 6:30 it's no problem, I believe we have the room all night. We may end up with a group of folks at 5:00 and a new group at 6:30, but that will be just fine! Again, sorry for the confusion everyone!

Doug Loudenback
05-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Urban Neighbors blog post today: Doug Dawgz Blog: Urban Neighbors (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2007/05/urban-neighbors.html)

metro
05-14-2007, 08:38 AM
How did the social go?? I was out of town on business.

Misty
05-14-2007, 01:20 PM
It was great! We had a great crowd and everyone seemed really excited to join & work together to continue making downtown a great place to live, work and play! Wish you could have been there. the next social will be June 14th at the Skirvin at 5:00.

jbrown84
05-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I've now toured the Park Harvey 3 times. Today I went to see a Studio. I had seen the 2 bedroom before, but my roommate plans have fallen through.

The May special is actually half off utilities for a year. It's a flat rate of $65 for utilities, so it's $32.50 with this deal. They have negotiated for a $50 discount rate at the Galleria garage. There is a gym opening in the basement that will have a discounted membership fee for building tenants. There is also a men's clothing store opening in the former Chick-fil-a space, as well as an attorney's office and possibly a bank on the first floor. They also are painting the sidewalk off white (???). And after 8 weeks they have signed leases for half the building, with the "Grand Studio" floorplan being the most popular.

Anyway, I'm strongly considering it.

Misty
05-18-2007, 02:09 PM
That's great! I haven't been to look at them yet but I've heard they were nice from other people too. Are the 1 bedrooms small or pretty open & spacious feeling?

jbrown84
05-18-2007, 02:13 PM
The 1-bed is actually the only floorplan I didn't see. The studio has a nice kitchen that is just along one wall right inside the door. The main room is pretty big and the bathroom is big and that closet is huge (big enough for a twin bed, haha). The Grand studio has a larger kitchen with a open bar-type counter facing the living room, and then the bedroom doesn't have a door, but there is a wall in the middle seperating it from the living area. The 2-bed has a huge master bed and then a smaller one with no door. It's designed more for a family w/ one kid, rather than 2 roommates.

Misty
05-18-2007, 02:31 PM
And I've been told you can't open the windows, is that true?

jbrown84
05-18-2007, 02:51 PM
I doubt it, but wouldn't that be the case with most highrises?

Misty
05-18-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't really know. Have you looked at the Regency Towers? I think the prices are close to Park Harvey's and they have little patios.

jbrown84
05-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah I dont really care about a balcony that much, but I suppose I could take a look.

Misty
05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Check this out too:

Claremont Apartments (http://www.oig.biz/claremont/)

jbrown84
05-18-2007, 03:36 PM
thanks for that tip. i will check that out too.

Patrick
05-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Have several med students that live at Regency Park. Only complaint was that the building is showing signs of age.......hasn't been updated in many years. Some complain about the homeless soliciting outside, but one of my friends solved that problem by simply offering them a beer in place of money...he figured that would save them a trip to the convenient store.

Misty
05-18-2007, 03:47 PM
I work at OUHSC in the Bird Library building. I was wondering if many students live downtown, I'm having lunch with the coordinator for campus/community life to discuss it next week. I'd like to see more downtown AFFORDABLE housing options for the students.