View Full Version : Redrawing MAPS for Kids

Patrick
11-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Looks like the school district is considering re-arranging funds for MAPS for Kids. As many of you know, there's a ballooning Hispanic population in South Oklahoma City. But, meanwhile, population in the NE side of the city continues to fall.
Under the original MAPS for Kids plan, many of the schools renovations planned for the NE side of town, would've left oversized schools. But schools on the south side would've been too small for the surging Hispanic population. District officials are deciding whether to redraw districts or just shift funds. Personally, I hope they just shift funds and make the south side schools larger and downsize plans for the schools on the NE side. Redrawing district boundaries would require more busing, something I think most of us would like to get away from. Strong neighborhood schools are important to the future success of the OKC Public School District.

-----------
"Redrawing MAPS for Kids

By Michael Bratcher
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City school district officials will rethink an almost $700 million plan to improve schools after a surge in the south Oklahoma City Hispanic population in the past five years.

The MAPS for Kids plan passed by voters in November 2001 calls for the renovation of district schools and construction of new buildings. But enrollment at some schools has changed so much that current plans will leave buildings over capacity and others under when the projects are completed in 2011.

Officials must now decide whether to shuffle funds, redraw school boundaries or change the number of grade levels taught in each school.

When the plan was designed in 2002, money was divided among schools to add classrooms based on need. The growing Hispanic population in south Oklahoma City and the development of charter schools weren't expected, district officials said.

An analysis by district officials now shows enrollment at most northeast schools will be well below capacity and south Oklahoma City schools will be too small.

"There's only 'X' number of dollars in the plan. It's not like you can write blank checks and the money is there," said George Kimball, district planning director.

Plans show U.S. Grant High School, 5016 S Pennsylvania Ave., could reach 1,700 students by 2011 -- about 200 more than it is designed to hold. Officials twice already have added classrooms to meet rising enrollment.

Reaching Out: Forums expected
Planning director George Kimball said town hall meetings will be arranged to seek input from local residents about possible plan changes.

He hopes to bring a new proposal to the school board and Oklahoma City Metropolitan Area Public Schools Trust by February.

"The changing demographics do not create roadblocks but do make it necessary for district, city and trust officials to step back and seek solutions and input from the community as we progress with new and additional construction," Superintendent Bob Moore said.

In the case of U.S. Grant, MAPS program manager Eric Wenger said it would be better to add classrooms before construction gets too far along. The foundation is expected to be poured in the coming weeks, he said.

"They're extensive foundations, so it's one of those things that's going to take several months just to build the foundations," Wenger said.

About eight classrooms -- each holding 25 students -- would be needed to bring the school to the 1,700-student capacity. Wenger said each room could cost from $60,000 to $80,000.

Jennifer Garner, executive director of the Oklahoma City Public Schools Foundation, said it would be much easier for the district officials to stick to the plan.

"But this shows a lot of long-term wisdom to continue to review it," Garner said.

When MAPS for Kids plans were published two years ago, district officials did not account for such a large growth in the southern area of the city.

Kimball said more than 2,800 students now enrolled in charter schools weren't projected to be away from their neighborhood schools. He said many of these students left schools in northeast Oklahoma City.

Northeast Oklahoma City: Too few students
While several south Oklahoma City schools face crowded classrooms, Planning Director George Kimball points to possible half-empty buildings in the Douglass High School area.

F.D. Moon Academy's boundaries show about 510 students in prekindergarten through eighth grade, but the school is being designed to hold twice as many -- 1,020 students.

Projections show other area schools in the area, including Martin Luther King, Thelma R. Parks and Edgemere, to be larger than needed.

Only one Douglass area school -- Dunbar, which also is home to Knowledge is Power Program Reach College Preparatory School -- is expected to exceed capacity.

Kimball says the best solution would be to shuffle money to schools needing more space. He says redistricting school boundaries will be necessary in some cases.

"Nobody likes to do it, and we certainly don't like to," he said.

School board vice chairman Joe Clytus last month recommended the district take suggestions to the public, but he also said the district should not be afraid to make necessary changes.

Officials may even consider leaving a school open that was set to close, if it's located in a fast-growing part of the city.

District spokeswoman Sherry Fair said the plan calls for the closure of 22 schools because of decreased enrollment. About 30 years ago, enrollment was nearly 70,000. Today, it's roughly 40,000.

Kimball wouldn't specify which schools would be considered to stay open, but he said they'd likely be in south Oklahoma City.

What's done: Buses, other work
As the district celebrates the third anniversary of the MAPS for Kids passage, leaders boast about positive changes.

In September, Star Spencer High School opened, the first high school to be renovated under the plan, and the first phase of Wheeler Community Learning Center was finished.

The second phase of Wheeler and the new Douglass High School are under construction. In 2005, more than 15 other schools will undergo construction or renovation and design plans for 14 others will be completed.

MAPS program manager Eric Wenger said 80 new school buses drive along city roads each day and another 80 are expected to be bought in the spring.

"We're extremely pleased with how well the program has gone, obviously with the spirit of the community and all the community meetings that have been held to date," Wenger said. "Excellent involvement of citizens and PTAs have really contributed to the success of the program."

City leaders speak at events across the nation about the MAPS for Kids passage. Jennifer Garner, executive director of the Oklahoma City Public Schools Foundation, this weekend is in Washington to address the plan.

"We all know it was a monumental event that passed," Garner said. "I think it just shows a huge commitment and investment in our kids. You don't see very many school districts, if any, pass bond issues and sales tax projects like this."

But the city district isn't the only one to benefit from MAPS for Kids. The plan also gives millions to 23 suburban school districts for capital improvements, transportation and technology.

Tax projections show about $153 million will be dispersed to suburban districts, with Putnam City, Moore and Edmond school districts receiving the most.

Tulsa School District officials said there are no plans for a similar project in their district. The Vision 2025 plan passed by voters a year ago, though, will provide some classroom supplies.

Renovation begins
The start of renovation of Oklahoma City's Telstar Elementary was recognized last week by school staff, students, parents and community leaders.

The $3 million renovation will convert the school to offer kindergarten through eighth grade for about 445 students. The project includes new classrooms, a gymnasium and maintenance upgrades.

Principal Patricia Watson-Hunt said the Telstar community has looked forward to the renovation ever since voters passed the MAPS for Kids plan in 2001.

------
Progress report

On Nov. 13, 2001, Oklahoma City School District voters passed a $512 million sales tax and $180 million bond issue for school improvements across the metro area. Among the changes were building renovations and new schools to be built over the next decade. Over the past three years, several building projects have started; some even have been completed.

Finished projects
Star Spencer High School

Wheeler Community Learning Center, phase one

Now under construction
Douglass High School

U.S. Grant High School

Ridgeview Elementary

Telstar Elementary

Wheeler Community Learning Center, phase two

Scheduled for construction or renovation in '05
John Marshall High School

Cesar Chavez K-8 School

Martin Luther King Jr. K-8 School

Willow Brook Elementary

Heronville Elementary

Bodine Elementary

Edgemere Elementary

Gatewood Elementary

Horace Mann Elementary

Wilson Elementary

Britton Elementary

North Highland Elementary

Adams Elementary

F.D. Moon Academy

Putnam Heights Elementary

Quail Creek Elementary

Scheduled for design work in '05
Kaiser Elementary

Green Pastures Elementary

Columbus Enterprise Elementary

Pierce Elementary

Capitol Hill High School

Classen School of Advanced Studies

Edwards Elementary

Coolidge Elementary

Fillmore Elementary

Lee Elementary

Nichols Hills Elementary

Dunbar Elementary

Thelma R. Parks Elementary

Rogers Middle School

1adam12
11-15-2004, 01:34 PM
This doesn't surprise me. In south OKC (just south of downtown), you can't hardly spit without hitting a hispanic person. I will tell you this though, that they are some of the friendliest people I have ever met, and they are very hard workers. They can't speak a lick of english, but I believe a :) is the international sign of friendliness, and they do smile a lot.

Their kids go to the schools and learn english, and then when you talk to their parents, they have to interpret for you. Like I said, I think hispanics are some of the nicest people I have met.

Patrick
11-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Truth is hispanics are here to stay, and we as a city are going to have to adapt to their presence. My brother taught at Columbus Elementary for awhile.....on SW 25th St. just west of Capitol Hill. For the most part, he enjoyed teaching his mostly hispanic class. Sure, he had to have an interpreter for some of his newer students, but it all worked out well, and his students picked up the English language quickly.

People always tell me that Hispanics coming over from Mexico hurt the local economy! Hello people! It isn't like us Americans would do some of the jobs they're doing anyways! We're too lazy of a culture to spend hours on top of a hot roof! Please note, I'm not referring to all Americans, but most. Anyways, without the hispanic population, there would be a lot of people begging to get new roofs put on their homes and landscaping work done! Hispanics work hard and I give them all the praise! They deserve every penny they earn!

Anyways, back to the topic. I'm all for shifting the funds where we need them on the south side. For years now, the hispanics have gotten the worst schools on the South side. Heck, my brother taught out of a portable building at Columbus Elementary for several years! They have more classroom space in the form of temporary buildings than in the actual building itself. The actual building is condemned in spots.

Anyways, the hispanic population on the south side deserves better, and I hope that MAPS for Kids accomodates them!

GrandMaMa
05-07-2006, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=Patrick]Looks like the school district is considering re-arranging funds for MAPS for Kids. As many of you know, there's a ballooning Hispanic population in South Oklahoma City. But, meanwhile, population in the NE side of the city continues to fall.

Do you ever wonder just how "ballooning" the Hispanic population would be if the undocumented children and their parents were not included in the school system? Or, for that matter, if the welfare offices and the emergency rooms and the maternity hospitals could legally excercise the same discretion? Something that I think falls within that same category is the fact that as an English speaking country, we have to pay extra to be able to provide bilingual teachers and duplicate books and printing in English and Spanish? This goes for any other language, I'm not just singling out this particular population..but, illegal is illegal..and I don't know why there is such a taboo on calling what is illegal, illegal. I may be out of line here, maybe I should have started a new thread, but it does seem to have a large bearing on the topic.

GrandMaMa
05-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Truth is hispanics are here to stay, and we as a city are going to have to adapt to their presence. My brother taught at Columbus Elementary for awhile.....on SW 25th St. just west of Capitol Hill. For the most part, he enjoyed teaching his mostly hispanic class. Sure, he had to have an interpreter for some of his newer students, but it all worked out well, and his students picked up the English language quickly.

People always tell me that Hispanics coming over from Mexico hurt the local economy! Hello people! It isn't like us Americans would do some of the jobs they're doing anyways! We're too lazy of a culture to spend hours on top of a hot roof! Please note, I'm not referring to all Americans, but most. Anyways, without the hispanic population, there would be a lot of people begging to get new roofs put on their homes and landscaping work done! Hispanics work hard and I give them all the praise! They deserve every penny they earn!

Anyways, back to the topic. I'm all for shifting the funds where we need them on the south side. For years now, the hispanics have gotten the worst schools on the South side. Heck, my brother taught out of a portable building at Columbus Elementary for several years! They have more classroom space in the form of temporary buildings than in the actual building itself. The actual building is condemned in spots.

Anyways, the hispanic population on the south side deserves better, and I hope that MAPS for Kids accomodates them!

Patrick, I totally disagree with you, but am veering off topic , so will begin a new thread. I haven't been online for a few days, I'd better check first, there may already be an appropriate one started.

CaptainAmerica
05-07-2006, 12:19 PM
agree with grandmama, all of a sudden there would be quite a bit less children if the illegal ones were gone, and not forcing our governement to pay for there students to go through school, when they arent paying taxes on their income.