View Full Version : Eddie Sutton to speak at Ethics seminar

metro
04-24-2007, 06:02 PM
I thought it was a bit odd but Eddie Sutton is speaking at an Ethics seminar tomorrow sponsored by the Oklahoma Ethics Consortium.

Home | okethics (http://www.okethics.org)

PUGalicious
04-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Why is that odd?

okclee
04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Eddie also just won the Tulsa World , sportsman of the year award. Now that is really odd.

Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/article.aspx?articleID=070415_1_A2_spanc20848)

SOONER8693
04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Maybe, pissing in the parking lot of an elementary school, driving while so intoxicated, he almost kills a woman. I don't know, is that a matter of ethics or strictly morals?

Lauri101
04-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Makes about as much sense as Mensa inviting GWB to be a keynote speaker!

okclee
04-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Makes you wonder, who the other finalists that were up for the Tulsa sportsman of the year award. Maybe Pac-Man Jones from the Tennessee Titans.

TStheThird
04-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Kind of like when Kelvin Sampson was the head of the NCAA Ethics Committee. Some of you gooners need to let it go. Coach Sutton will always be a respected man in this state. He made a mistake. I would imagine that many on this board have been behind the wheel after a few drinks.

Anyways... move on.

John
04-25-2007, 02:18 AM
Will Boone's Farm fine wine be served at the event? ;)

metro
04-25-2007, 07:52 AM
TStheThird, I think you're taking it too personally, it wasn't meant and no one stated it as a OU vs. OSU ordeal, it was a matter of irony. And BTW Eddie was caught more than once. I'm a huge Sooner fan and will openly admit Sampson made his fair share of mistakes. He's not as "respected" mainly because he hasn't been around nearly as long as Eddie. Not to mention OSU is more of a basketball school and OU is obviously more of a football school.

SOONER8693
04-25-2007, 08:52 AM
TStheTHIRD, I don't think it matters who you are a fan of, those things that Saint Eddie did are pretty darn serious. I think he has been unfairly Sanctified by the media in this state, considering what he has done. With that said, I will move on when I darn well please, not when you tell me to. Have a good day.

okclee
04-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Seriously though, Sportsman of the Year, Eddie Sutton.

What is the deal with comparing Eddie and Kelvin, and their off the court issues last year?

Kelvin broke NCAA rules in regards to phone calls.

Eddie broke many laws that would have put me or you in jail. Now he is Sportman of the Year.

I guess I can look forward to George W Bush winning the Nobel Peace Prize next.

RSA
04-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Kind of like when Kelvin Sampson was the head of the NCAA Ethics Committee. Some of you gooners need to let it go. Coach Sutton will always be a respected man in this state. He made a mistake. I would imagine that many on this board have been behind the wheel after a few drinks.

Anyways... move on.

I agree he will always be a respected man. It just seems a little soon for people to be forgeting about why he resigned from OSU.

Don Imus is or was a well respect radio personality and he made a mistake and look what happened to him. (Granted, it was a huge stupid mistake)

Also, I am not defending his actions in any manner! Just for the record.

TStheThird
04-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Make what you want out of it... I was responding to the claim that he has bad ethics. You OU fans will be whining about this for 20 years.

RSA, you are comparing apples to oranges. Look what Tony LaRussa did... what happened to him? You guys will praise Dust Devorchek for being an alcoholic and nearly beating people to death because he set out a year and got a medical redshirt for being an alcoholic. He comes back and plays and he is some sort of hero. Give me a break. Move on...

Martin
04-26-2007, 06:16 AM
personally, i've little respect to dvoracek and while we're talking apples to oranges, how does one compare a twenty-something student athlete to a seventy-something ncaa head basketball coach? other than being seen as a good player on the field, i can't seem to remember anybody praising dvoracek for being an outstanding citizen.

but... if a man who was forced into retirement after being involved in an accident while driving with a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit is tsthethird's idea of a hero and an ideal candidate to give a speech at an ethics seminar, that's his business... as backwards and near-sighted as that may be. -M

okclee
04-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Don't forget about the alleged incident at the stillwater elementary school, and the missing video tape.

Nice going Eddie, you are now our Sportman of the Year.

jbrown84
04-26-2007, 09:30 AM
i can't seem to remember anybody praising dvoracek for being an outstanding citizen.

No one asked him to speak at an ethics seminar either.

TStheThird
04-26-2007, 10:29 AM
You guys are right... Eddie is a criminal... a liar, a thief, and a cheat. He hates children and he is trying to destroy the state we live in. We should march on city hall and demand he be thrown in jail.

TStheThird
04-26-2007, 10:30 AM
There is no way he will ever learn from his mistakes and he will never be respected again.

jbrown84
04-26-2007, 11:20 AM
OH WOW.

I think you are blowing this a bit out of proportion.

SOONER8693
04-26-2007, 12:14 PM
TStheThird, Gee guy, that's pretty intense. Don't take it so personal.

jbrown84
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Seriously, I would have the same opinion on the subject if he had been an OU coach.

TStheThird
04-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I just think it is funny. He made a bad decision. He drank too much like most of the world has on some occasion and made a horrible decision to drive. He has paid his price, yet some will never let it go.

Confession, there was a time that I got behind the wheel when I shouldn't have. Does that mean that I have poor ethics? Or was I just an idiot that night? If I have poor ethics, remind me to never speak at a like organizations dinner.

I just find humor that we as Americans for some reason hold public figures to a different standard than everyone else. You see... I think Eddie was an idiot for driving that day. I am glad he had to resign, but I don't judge his character on that stupid decision.

Martin
04-26-2007, 03:30 PM
ahh, but the problem with your logic is that we're not just talking about one isolated incident, one mistake, but a pattern of behavior. -M

Jack Wonder
04-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I thought it was a bit odd but Eddie Sutton is speaking at an Ethics seminar tomorrow sponsored by the Oklahoma Ethics Consortium.

Home | okethics (http://www.okethics.org)

Is that the stench of irony I smell or is it alcohol??

RSA
04-26-2007, 05:21 PM
I think it sux that there is one standard for those of us who win a bunch of games for the home team and a complete different standard for us regular folks. It's not about "moving on" or "letting it go". If you are some sort of celebrity, you get special treatment. Things get overlooked. Oh, he just messed up that one time. If you or I mess up that one time, it will follow you around FOREVER!

That is what makes it not right and ironic and odd.

dismayed
04-27-2007, 08:15 PM
I missed this past week's OK Ethics seminar, but was able to attend one on the company dime last month. It was quite nice, it was held at the Petroleum Club. I understand that this past week's all-day event was held in one of the Skirvin Hotel ballrooms. I would have liked to have gone to that.

By the way, these events really are a place to see and be seen. At the last one I saw Burns Hargis, Kari Watkins, the site director of Dell, and others.