View Full Version : Relocating to OKC..Good and Bad !

6foot3
04-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey everyone...i'm going to be relocating to OKC in about a month or so. Can anyone compare to where i live now in Albuquerque good or bad. Middle class (not rich or poor) areas to live and good gyms to lift weights. Best mall(s). Nite life. Any water recreation/state parks close by to jet ski/ water ski , camping etc..etc...i think you see where im going on this and i'd really appreciate any and all advice and answers. Take Care !! 6foot3...

RealtorJoe
04-24-2007, 04:49 PM
I would go with Norman or Moore. Close to a couple good lakes, pretty good night life in Norman. Oklahoma City has quite few really nice areas. Do you like newer homes or older homes?

Spartan
04-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Norman has a very nice stock of both old and new.

6foot3
04-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks R-joe and Sparten...On another city forum alot of people rave about Edmond?? As far as Normon goes ....since OU is there is it purely a college town. I'm 40 and although i think i'm still hip and all and love my 80's/90's rock music and am highly active in all sports and can fit in easy with all crowds is Normon more than just a twenty something place .......

Thanks! 6/3

metro
04-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Welcome to OKC! It really all depends on many personal preferences and factors. Budget, type of residence (single family, multi, condo, townhouse, loft, etc.) as well as if you want to live in suburbs, downtown, etc. Would depend on how close you want to be to your work, etc. Give us more info and we can assist you better. Also there has been numerous posts like this by others who have moved to OKC asking the same questions. You may want to do a search and see what people have advised them as well. Again, welcome!!!

6foot3
04-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome Metro....I work in the apartment industry so i can live where i work if i choose to do so. Always more of a suburbia type. What is Bricktown. Is that where the AAA baseball team plays (stadium) or is that the entertainment district. I was also reading on here about the Underground? And i see you have a nice arena where the Hornets played at. And where's the largest Mall in the metro?

I know that Oklahoma doesn't have mountainns like the rockies but i see on the vacation magazine the Arbuckle? mountains with a large water fall and swimming. Also is there biking, hiking and camping on these. I think another is the wichita mountains not to far from OKC....

I know lots of questios but i really want to be somewhat prepared when i get here and i'm really excited about it....6/3

CMSturgeon
04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
At 40 I would say Edmond is the ideal place.... mainly upper middle & above class people and it is growing quite quickly. There are a lot of restaurants and businesses and easy access to the city due to being near the big interstates and a turnpike.

metro
04-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah, if you're a suburbanite wanting malls, lakes, and suburbia, then Edmond seems your best fit. Quail Springs Mall is the area's largest mall and close to Edmond, although I prefer Penn Square Mall its smaller but the most upscale mall in the metro. It's more in the center city area. Bricktown is one (and the most popular entertainment districts that is on the east southeast side of downtown. The AAA ballpark is also in Bricktown as well as our canal, restaurants, clubs, concerts, movie theater, etc. The arts district, film row, Midtown, Automobile Alley, Deep Deuce, Flat Iron, and the Triangle are also up and coming downtown districts. Paseo is also a nearby arts district and Uptown/23rd street area is pretty cool. The Underground is a newly renovated (formerly called ConnCourse) series of underground tunnels downtown that connect most downtown buildings. It also has art galleries, etc. under there.

The arbuckle mountains are a little over an hour's drive south of the city and a good weekend getaway. If you're thinking more of real mountains (although not the rockies, I'd head to the Wichita Mountains in Lawton, these will be closer to what you are used to and are good for camping, biking, fishing, rock climbing, rappelling, etc.

Feel free to keep asking us questions. I highly recommend you pick up a copy of the Gazette when you get a chance. It's the free independent weekly paper and will keep you in the know for starters.

brianinok
04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Here are my thoughts:

Norman: South of OKC. At over 100,000 people, there is quite a bit more than just a college town. People who live there generally love it, but it can be an long commute to OKC (for OK standards-- still better than larger cities) sometimes because of the I-35 traffic and never ending construction. It would be an easy drive down I-35 to the Arbuckles for camping, etc. Close to Lake Thunderbird ("Dirtybird"). A lot of middle and upper class areas. Nice mall is Sooner Mall, although it is fairly small. They are building a "lifestyle center" in Norman as well, but it remains to be seen exactly how nice it will be when completed.

Moore: Between Norman & OKC on I-35. Generally middle class. Easy to get south on I-35 to the Arbuckles. Closest nice shopping and mall is in Norman (Crossroads Mall in south OKC at I-35 & I-240 is not good at all).

Yukon: West of OKC on I-40. Mostly middle class, but more upper class is appearing. Easy to get to I-44 heading southwest toward Lawton for the Wichita Mountains (which are also a great camping area-- google it and you can find more info easily). Closest mall is probably Penn Square Mall in "inner northwest" OKC near Nichols Hills, which is a very ritzy suburb. Penn Square is the nicest mall in the city.

Northwest OKC: Middle class and upper class. Loads of shopping areas. Penn Square Mall and Quail Springs Mall will be close by. Lake Hefner is here, which is popular for sailing, and has a nice trail all the way around it.

Edmond: North of OKC. Edmond is mainly upper class and upper middle class, but has some middle class parts. There are lots of nice shopping areas, but no mall currently. It is close to Quail Springs, though. Quail Springs is a good mall, but does not have the expensive store selection that Penn Square does. They are building a lifestyle center in north Edmond on I-35 that is supposed to bring in retailers that are exclusive and not currently in the Oklahoma market. Lake Arcadia is in east Edmond.

Midwest City: East of OKC on I-40. Mainly working class and middle class. No close mall (unless you count Crossroads). But is getting better from what I hear.

It is easy to get around OKC because we have so many freeways and turnpikes, and very little traffic compared to other cities our size. A lot of people don't realize how much outdoor stuff there is to do in Oklahoma. We have more shoreline on our lakes than the east and gulf coasts combined. You should visit travelok.com for more info on all the outdoor activities you can do here.

Hope that helps!

Karried
04-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Edmond has Arcadia Lake where we jet ski. It could use some work.. but it's close.

We have many, many gyms here as well. (Transformation is nice.. I belong to that one and go not nearly as often as I should.)

There are plenty of eating establishments here. Tons actually. We have the usual, theaters, bowling, golf, shopping, music, plays... Edmond is only 20 min to OKC/Bricktown.. I like it here.. great place to raise a family with lots of professional, educated people.

Do you have kids? Schools are great.. we love the schools.

I love Norman too.. If I didn't live in Edmond, I'd be in Norman.. beautiful city.

Anyway, check out different websites... Reply.com is good to compare cities, crime rates, schools, etc etc..

I think you should plan a trip and check it out for a week.. .drive around, get a feel for different areas.

Welcome to OK!

6foot3
04-24-2007, 08:35 PM
The arbuckle mountains are a little over an hour's drive south of the city and a good weekend getaway. If you're thinking more of real mountains (although not the rockies, I'd head to the Wichita Mountains in Lawton, these will be closer to what you are used to and are good for camping, biking, fishing, rock climbing, rappelling, etc.

Right on Metro....great info on the downtown district and on edmond. I'll research the Wichita's as the outdoor events you listed are what i like to do including the Rappeling.....

The tallest building is the Bank One?? How many stories...

And whats your thoughts on Tinker AFB?? Is it a major employer and how do the people of Oklahoma think of the military. Is the Defense dept upgrading the base housing and modernizing the base or is it already nice. And the area around the base is it good or higher in crime??? Thanks...6/3

6foot3
04-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Brianinok...thanks for all the info on all the surrounding areas as you guys are giving great advice and all. O.k. i've heard about the upper areas and middle class areas but how about the bad areas. Every city has them as i would recommend anybody moving to albuquerque to not live below Interstate-40 as an example.

And what about OKC proper as i've heard about the suburbs but the city itself is quite large so any thoughts on this....thanks again...6/3

SoonerDave
04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Okay, here's my pitch for southwest Oklahoma City....

If you check out a map of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City is smack-dab in the middle of the state in Oklahoma County. Oklahoma City is a huge city in land area, and extends south out of Oklahoma County into Cleveland County, where you'll find Moore, and farther south, Norman.

Nestled in that southwest region west of Moore and northwest of Norman is southwest Oklahoma City - some might consider it "far" southwest OKC, based on how long you've lived in the area.

Southwest OKC features some of the nicest, newest housing in all of Oklahoma City ranging from upper-middle income to executive-caliber homes in areas known as (but not limited to) The Fountains, Lakeridge Run, Legacy, Cascata, Vinehaven, and Rivendell. Most people coming to Oklahoma find housing to be astonishingly affordable - even at the high end.

One beauty of this area is that it lies within one of the top school districts in the state - Moore Schools - and in a region that will be served, at least in part, by a new high school facility for the coming school year - the third in the district, supplanting Westmoore and the original Moore High School farther southeast (in Moore proper). Additionally, if you're interested in a health facility, one of the best and newest YMCA facilities in the region opened at Earlywine Park, just at the west end of most of those additions.

Despite Oklahoma City's great land expanse, our inter- and intrastate highways and general grid-based layout make cross-city navigation quicker than you might imagine. The additions I mentioned above are just minutes away from a network of interstate highways (I-240, I-35, I-44) that put you perhaps 12 minutes away from the home of the Sooners in Norman, or a shade over 20 minutes away from the extreme north side of Oklahoma City and Quail Springs Mall, and maybe 15 minutes from downtown and the Bricktown entertainment district.

This region of OKC is an underappreciated gem. A former neighbor of mine who had opted to move to Oklahoma from California to be close to his grandchildren - but had never been here - was stunned at the size and quality of home he was able to buy. His daughter had faxed him some MLS entries of some prospective houses, and when he saw the size and price, he called her and told her the fax machine must have cut off part of the price. When his daughter told him it was no mistake, he bought one of the houses sight unseen, and after living here only a few months told me Oklahoma was one of the most marvelous places he'd ever lived.

Welcome to our state, wherever you choose to live!

-soonerDave

6foot3
04-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Edmond has Arcadia Lake where we jet ski. It could use some work.. but it's close.

We have many, many gyms here as well. (Transformation is nice.. I belong to that one and go not nearly as often as I should.)

There are plenty of eating establishments here. Tons actually. We have the usual, theaters, bowling, golf, shopping, music, plays... Edmond is only 20 min to OKC/Bricktown.. I like it here.. great place to raise a family with lots of professional, educated people.

Do you have kids? Schools are great.. we love the schools.

I love Norman too.. If I didn't live in Edmond, I'd be in Norman.. beautiful city.

Anyway, check out different websites... Reply.com is good to compare cities, crime rates, schools, etc etc..

I think you should plan a trip and check it out for a week.. .drive around, get a feel for different areas.

Welcome to OK! I thought about checking it out but i'm set on the move and i also want to be closer to family in Kansa but not live there. I was hooked when i seen all the water in Oklahoma as that really caught my eye. Also the economy is strong by what i see in the paper and the cost of living is lower than most cities in the USA. You even have a Six Flags amusement park...how cool...

Anyway i've saved my earnings so can take time off to explore the city and state for a while and being in the apartment community for 12 years now i know i'll have no problem for employment....Thanks Karried....

P.S. Didn't forget about you either ''CmSturgeon''....thanks for your response...

okcpulse
04-24-2007, 09:34 PM
6foot3, Bank One Tower is now known as Chase Tower, and is 36 stories tall, or 500 feet in height. I remember when I was in Albuquerque, the highrises downton were very short in comparison.

If you want some interesting info. about the Wichitas, Arbuckles and Kiamichi Mts, I'm sure you will find this interesting-

These three mountain ranges are among the oldest in the world. They formed 800-600 million years ago during the pre-cambrian era, and are the result of a failed continental break-up. If you have Google Earth on your computer, you can see the strange formation from space over southeastern Oklahoma's Kiamichi Mt. range, with its strange gentle curves, as well as the Arbuckle Mts. ancient fold line on the south side of the ridge, a small mimick of how the Himalayas were formed. The Wichita range is believed to at one time be a part of the foothills of the Rocky Mts. before the Ice Age.

BG918
04-24-2007, 10:11 PM
If I were moving to suburban OKC I would go for Norman, mainly because it's a suburb but also a unique college town all in one. Lots of older homes and walkable areas around the campus, good nightlife scene in Campus Corner, and newer areas all around. And then only a 20 min. commute to downtown OKC. Edmond is very suburban but is probably the nicest suburban community, lots of really nice neighborhoods there. I'd stay away from Midwest City, Del City, Yukon, Mustang, Moore, etc. unless you have to.

For OKC, there's lots of nice newer homes on the north and westsides and if you want an older home (and good buy) there are plenty of those too. Penn Square is the nicest mall at Penn and NW Expressway in OKC and is huge and fairly upscale. Nichols Hills is the nicest area in the city, similar to Dallas' Highland Park on the northside along Western Ave. The Lake Hefner area on the NW side of OKC is great with lots of jogging/biking trails, sailing, and several restaurants overlooking the lake.

Some great urban neighborhoods exist just to the north of downtown in Midtown around Heritage Hills (very nice old homes), the Paseo (cool arts district), Putnam Heights, and Crown Heights. The Midtown area has Western Ave. running through it and a good mix of local shops, restaurants, and bars, also the Asian District (tons of Chinese/Vietnamese shops and restaurants) along Classen and the gentrifying 23rd Street corridor from Oklahoma City University to the domed state capitol.

Downtown is pretty active with Bricktown offering lots of places to eat, some overlooking the canal, and the most places in the city to go out i.e. bars and clubs. There's also a large movie theater and the ballpark where the AAA RedHawks play. The Ford Center arena and its events are right by Bricktown, and there's an outstanding art museum, music hall, and central library next to each other in the Arts District on the west end of downtown. The Oklahoma River south of downtown has miles of jogging/biking trails along its banks and is the main future growth area for urban OKC (you'll hear Core to Shore mentioned a lot, it's the plan for developing the rundown area from downtown to the river as an urban mixed-use district with a giant park in the center). The huge Oklahoma Health Center is just to the east of downtown and Bricktown and is rapidly developing its own skyline with lots of new buildings going up. A large and interesting Hispanic neighborhood, Capitol Hill, is to the south of downtown; go here for some comida autentica.

CMSturgeon
04-24-2007, 10:16 PM
P.S. Didn't forget about you either ''CmSturgeon''....thanks for your response...

:tiphat:

Oh and if our theme parks are one the things luring you here, take them off your list.

BG918
04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
You'll miss the NM mountains but the Wichita Mountains are pretty scenic by Lawton about an hour and a half away down I-44. There are lots of trails and the mountains are full of big boulders for climbing and rappelling. The Arbuckles are interesting as well just south of OKC on I-35 by Davis. Turner Falls is a neat place to go in the summer, but it gets really crowded. Also the Ouachita Mountains are more of a drive but bigger and cover more area across SE Oklahoma. The local lake are okay, Thunderbird by Norman being the biggest (but very RED because of the red clay). Much better to drive to Lake Eufaula to the east (biggest lake in Oklahoma), Lake Texoma to the south (huge lake, lots of Dallas money/boats), or to the lakes up by Tulsa like Grand and Tenkiller that are surrounded by Ozark hills.

Wichita Mountains
http://www.bikeusa.com/wichita/treasuresmall.JPG

Turner Falls/Arbuckle Mountains
http://academic.emporia.edu/aberjame/struc_geo/ouachita/ouac26.jpg

Lake Texoma
http://k43.pbase.com/v3/39/13739/1/44714892.IMG_0276.jpg

chuckdiesel
04-25-2007, 12:14 AM
My favorite is the Kiamichi's in SE OK. None of the "mts" in Ok are "real" mountains but pretty close.http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/tejas/map/engraphics/kiamichi_valley-lg.jpg

As for lakes I would recomend Texoma like someone already mentioned.

Tenkiller is nice too.http://members.tripod.com/jeepgirl_2-ivil/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dsc00514.jpg

AFCM
04-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Welcome 6/3! It seems nearly everything has been covered so far, and like metro mentioned, you can probably find some really good threads with a fair amount of information. I seem to remember one thread taking up several pages of great material...stuff I didn't even know about.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the little gem just south of Bricktown called OKC Rocks. Some people may not dig it, but it's a great place to practice and stay in shape if you're in to mountain climbing. A lot of people tend to forget OKC Rocks when talking about Bricktown, but it's one of the better things to do in B-town besides dining and dancing. I guess that's about it. If I can think of anything else, I'll come back and let you know.

Now, should we warn him about the roads?

HOT ROD
04-25-2007, 02:37 AM
I'd have to say, OKC has lots to offer - you just need to look for it sometimes. But really, no matter what you might be into - this amazing city has something for ya.

That is pretty rare considering the location of OKC and the fact that it is an outwardly appearing conservative city - but once you come in, there's LOTS to tickle your fancy. Like was said, OKC has some nice but gritty urban districts as well as some suburban expanses with both extremes growing and becoming more connected actually. OKC was on a suburban expanse for the longest time (perhaps since the 1970's) but now attention is returning to the inner city gems.

OKC also has a pretty nice diversity and that is reflected in the food. You can find just about anything, although sometimes it may not be exactly where you'd expect. We mostly complain about the zoning in OKC that has created a concrete jungle of sorts - but this is "slowly" changing as the city recognizes it can expect better / greener developments - this is one compliment of Edmond by the way, they ALWAYS mandate green "fixtures" of sorts in their development.

Also, it seems that people in OKC are more willing to live together now than ever before. OKC used to be quite segregated especially with the so-called "white flight" to the suburbs. That is changing with lots of gentrification taking place in the inner city - and these projects are almost all upscale at the moment, in an effort to bring-up the market no doubt.

Another thing that is changing is OKC's mindset in general. It used to be that OKC was content on being a Tier III city but that has definitely changed really since around 2000 and certainly getting the Hornets and the probable relocation of the NBA Sonics has allowed OKC to develop a swagger of sorts - and this is noticed by the pride in MOST residents of the city. Not an arrogant swagger, but people nonetheless defend OKC now, which even 15 years ago was NOT THE CASE.

OKC is a fantastic city and I among others welcome you and hope that you help to make the city even better. (I sound like the mayor or something, but that is really how people feel about OKC now).

Good luck on your search for housing, there's TONS to chose from - it really depends upon what it is you are looking for and where you'd like to be. Oh, if you get the chance - please use our non-stop flights from ABQ on ExpressJet, now is a great time to come visit OKC in that our largest festival is taking place downtown!!

6foot3
04-25-2007, 05:17 AM
You guys really ROCK !! Thanks to the other posters also OKCpulse, Soonerdave, BG918, AFCM, Chuckdiesel and Hotrod. You guys ought to work for the Chamber of Commerce or the State Tourism office. I'm making copies of everyone's posts and will keep them in a folder so i can refer to them and be ahead of the game when i get out there. Cool pictures too.......

So its the Chase tower at 36 stories tall.....and i'll check out OKC Rocks. Wow didn't even know that the Sonics are thinking of relocating to OKC. So i take it that Six Flags isn't to great? They are crying here in ABQ to get a Six Flags...

Yeah i like the mountains in NM but there's hardly any water...I can't beleive all the water recreation all over the state in Oklahoma and the number of shore miles as water is my favorate fun whether its jet sking, intertubing, swimming, camping out next to lakes and/or rivers. Here in ABQ its a 2 hour drive min to just one lake in any direction as NM, Arizona and West Texas areas i've lived in is very sparce when it comes to water recreation.

Any thoughts on Tinker AFB.....Is it a major employer and hows the area around it ...good or bad. The AFB here ''Kirtland'' is in the bad part of town and is mainly a R&D base meaning they test on Nuclear and Laser type weapons but rare to see any planes (fighters, bombers etc.) so it doesn't feel like an AFB....

I also read the newspaper on line so i'm aware of the current events and even listen to an OKC radio station on line 107.7 Classic Rock (radiostationworld.com) Later on everyone !!

soonerguru
04-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Quail Springs is not the largest mall. Penn Square is larger -- with better tenants, also. It is the second largest mall in the state behind Woodland Hills in Tulsa, but it is by far the nicest.

Edmond is a bore; move to OKC.

soonerguru
04-25-2007, 06:57 AM
None of the "mts" in Ok are "real" mountains

That is not correct. "Real" mountains have more than 2,000 feet of vertical lift. There are dozens of "real" mountains in Oklahoma. Have you been to Southeast Oklahoma?

metro
04-25-2007, 07:43 AM
soonerguru, I seriously don't think Penn is bigger than Quail but I could be wrong, unless you're counting the Belle Isle as part of Penn. He is right though, Edmond is the nicest but it is a bore with a fairly dead nightlife, even with a major university there. But it is the furthest north so it would be a quick trip to your family in Kansas.

6/3 as far as Tinker AFB goes, yes it is a major employer. At one time it was one of the main staples of our economy. Granted it still is, but since the early 1990's our economy has diversified dramatically so Tinker wouldn't be as of a devastating blow if it were to ever be apart of BRAC and shut down. In fact, the last BRAC expanded our military bases here in Oklahoma. You will see a lot of planes flying in and out of here. It is also a base for maintenance and is the only one in the U.S for the AWACS planes. This is their headquarters. The area around the base used to be seedy but is rapidly changing. Just across I-40 from the base is an entirely new mixed use development and new houses are being built in the area like never before. While it still has a ways to come, MWC is on a comeback.

kevinpate
04-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Should I ever think of leaving Norman for somewhere else in the metro, my main exclusionary criteria will be quite simple - avoid known tornado alleyways.

Whatever else Norman does or doesn't have in its favor, I do like where it sits weatherwise, so I doubt I'll be moving anytime soon.

Easy180
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Only takes one F4 to make it a known tornado alleyway pate...Dodged it so far, but being just south of Moore doesn't make it completely safe by any means

Just as long as one doesn't mess with Memorial Stadium!

Saberman
04-25-2007, 09:04 AM
As you can tell by some of the posts, we are all proud of the areas we live in, there is something for eveyone.

I would agree with earlier post, come and look around, check out the different areas of the City.

I grew up in the Midwest City/Del City areas, lots of change and rebuilding, but as one might expect it's a military town, and proud of it. People are just as friendly as you'd expect anywhere else in Oklahoma. They are actually larger then most towns around bases, guess being close to OKC doesn't hurt. Alot has happened and grown up around there in the 35 years since I lived there.

jbrown84
04-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Welcome!

I live in Edmond and highly recommend it for reasons already posted. SoonerDave's far SW OKC has a very similar housing market, but the disadvantage is an [unfair] lack of retail options. Just as an example, the southside has no Barnes & Noble or similar bookstore. The northside has just fared better with getting a better variety of retail.

A little more info on OKC proper:

The "bad" neighborhoods are mostly the inner Northeast, some areas directly south of I-40, and the inner Southeast. Some of the nicer inner city historical neighborhoods are Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Crown Heights, and Lincoln Terrace. These all have a variety of historical homes, some in better shape than others. These areas are all in the vicinity north of Downtown.

More outdoors recommendations:

Red Rock Canyon is a nice surprise in western Oklahoma an hour or so west of OKC. It's Oklahoma's best rapelling, with great verticals and overhangs up to 100 feet.

http://www.oklahomaphotography.com/redrock/images/redrock1.jpg

Roman Nose State Park will feel a bit more like NM than some other areas. It is a small lake surrounded by buttes and there are several natural springs, including the Spring of Everlasting Waters, the biggest spring I have ever seen anywhere. It's like water spewing out of a 10 foot wide opening in the ground. It's very cool.

Chickasaw National Recreation Area is near Turner Falls in the Arbuckles and less crowded. At 100 years old it is one of the oldest national parks. It is filled with natural springs, small waterfalls, and hiking trails. Great place for camping. Lots of shade. Also in the park is the Lake of the Arbuckles, a really good lake for waterskiing and fishing. Much clearer than Thunderbird or Arcadia.

Lake Murray State Park Is another great lake-based park and a bit closer than Texoma. It's surrounded by rolling hills and forest and has a big stone castle overlooking it on a cliff.

Robbers Cave State Park is probably my second favorite in Oklahoma. It's in the San Bois Mountains, part of the Ouachita Mountains (which are the highest between the Appalacians and Rockies). There is a nice small lake there, lots of historic CCC cabins, lots of hiking (did a 10-mile there once), and the main feature is a rocky, mazelike area where outlaws like Belle Starr used to hide in caves. Also good for rapelling and some climbing.

Ouachita National Forest covers some of the best parts of the Ouachitas, including the Winding Stair Mountains, home of the Ouachita trail, which goes from eastern Oklahoma all the way to Little Rock. This area is sometimes called the Little Smokies because of the resemblence to the Appalacians. Lots of forest--mostly pine. Not what people imagine for Oklahoma, thats for sure.

http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/images/talimena.jpg

Beavers Bend State Park is easily the best State Park in Oklahoma. It's a 3-4 hour drive from OKC, but well worth it. Surrounded by national forest land, the park includes Broken Bow, Oklahoma's most scenic lake, where steep mountains rise out of the water. Downstream, the river takes a wide slow bend through the park where just about every kind of recreation you can imagine is available. Further downstream is some great Class III+ whitewater. Pretty exciting if you are in a canoe.

http://www.lasr.net/images/attractions/OK01lk004a005.jpg

http://www.mountaineercabins.com/OK-BrokenBow1.jpg

http://photos16.flickr.com/21790610_3d655b68b1_m.jpg

The Wichita Mountains
http://www.oklahomaphotography.com/images/wwr2.jpg

okclee
04-25-2007, 10:01 AM
This thread is making me want to move to this fantastic place that everyone is writing about, sounds like a great city in a great state!

Oklahoma really is an excellent place to locate to it is definitely a hidden gem in the US. I do think that word is starting to get out though. As far as my recommendation for what part of the city you should move to, I would have to suggest you look at downtown Okc in and around Mid-Town. You then would be a close drive to all of the great surrounding areas as well as there is just something about living in the core of a city. I don't think that you would want to isolate yourself to one side or the other side of a Oklahoma City. If you locate in the middle then you can have it all.

metro
04-25-2007, 10:23 AM
great post jbrown, I do have to disagree with one thing though. I don't think Roman Nose is the best place for rappelling in Oklahoma though. While it is good, the Wichita Mountains have far better rappelling and there are many spots with over 300+ foot drops.

jbrown84
04-25-2007, 10:26 AM
I said that about Red Rock Canyon. I said it because it's a rappelling only place. You really can't climb there, so it's not crowded with climbers. The Wichitas are a true rock climbing mecca, but the irregularity of the rocks and few 90 degree verticals make it not quite as ideal for those that just want to rappell.

RSA
04-25-2007, 02:38 PM
I don't recall if you said you were married or had kids. At 43 years old, I find Norman to make me feel a little out of place. Now I am sure there are 43 year old Normanites but, after all, it is a college town.
In my opinion, Edmond requires a family for membership or at least some sort of shared custody of children. I do not live in MidTown but I am very partail to what it has to offer. Also, Heritage hills and Mesta Park to the north and the Paseo Arts district just north of that. Which has an AWESOME Arts Festival every May which blows away the Downtown festival, in my opinion. Mid Town offers variety.

Patrick
04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Actually, concerning malls, you guys are both wrong.

Crossroads is actually the largest mall when it comes to square footage (1.23 million sq feet), although it's also the worst mall in the metro. Quail Springs is second in size (1.21 million sq feet), and Penn Square is third (1.18 sq feet). They're all over 1 million square feet though, so it doesn't matter. They're all large, two level malls.

That being said, Penn Square Mall is by far the nicest mall in the metro, with the most upscale stores! It has the upscale stores like Whitehouse Black Market, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, Williams Sonoma, Georgiou, Coldwater Creek, Bachrach, Mr. Ooleys, Jos A Bank, Ann Taylor, Rockport, J. Crew, Coach, Apple, Banana Republic, etc. I'd compare Penn Square to Cottonwood Mall in Albuquerque.

Quail Springs is more your general mall with general family mall type stores like Gap, Sears, and Express. It's more like Coronado Center in Albuquerque.

Avoid Crossroads Mall on the city's south side. It's a known gang hangout.

NE Oasis
04-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey everyone...i'm going to be relocating to OKC in about a month or so. Can anyone compare to where i live now in Albuquerque good or bad. Middle class (not rich or poor) areas to live and good gyms to lift weights. Best mall(s). Nite life. Any water recreation/state parks close by to jet ski/ water ski , camping etc..etc...i think you see where im going on this and i'd really appreciate any and all advice and answers. Take Care !! 6foot3...

For one size fits all - Northwest OKC has Quail Springs Mall with apartments all around, plus restaurants and Home Depot/WalMart, etc.
Coming soon 15 minutes north of there is a land locked wave park for jet skis.

Welcome!

Patrick
04-25-2007, 03:49 PM
For one size fits all - Northwest OKC has Quail Springs Mall with apartments all around, plus restaurants and Home Depot/WalMart, etc.

Home of look-alike strip centers sprouting up out of no where. If you like to be bored, you'll enjoy the Quail Springs area.

Millie
04-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Oasis- what's this jet ski park you're talking about?

Karried
04-25-2007, 05:51 PM
It's the new wakeboard park in Guthrie..

It all depends on what you are really looking for in your environment. For some, quality schools are of utmost importance, others, it's the nightlife ....

I live near Quail Spring area and I don't find it boring at all. But, of course, I have kids so that is where I prefer to be at this stage of my life.

The area does offer a lot of choices, but it does cost a little bit to get out and enjoy the offerings in the area. I imagine if you are on a tight budget, it would be very boring.

There are not a lot of walking trails or biking trails in the immediate vicinity..but there are lots of gyms. Most of the time I see walkers walking through their neighborhoods.. pretty safe area.

The restaurants are abundant and a lot of chains (but most are more pricey than the average Ihop or Sonic) You have PF Changs, Bravo, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, a few blocks west on Memorial, Mahoganys, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Abuelos, Carrinos, Panera, Mimi's, etc etc ...more restaurants and shopping than anyone could ever need, the movie theater, shopping at the mall, Barnes and Noble, Books a Million, going to the Baker Street Pub or to Friends Nightclub to dance.

The location and convenience is what I absolutely love. Everything is so easily accessed, Pikepass and we're anywhere we want to go in 10 min or less. Lake Hefner Pky.. we're at the airport in 20 min.. and 235 drops us into Bricktown in less that 20 min....

Even though we head to Bricktown for sporting events and concerts, we hang around here for the most part. Kids love to swim in the backyard and hang with their friends (great neighbors!) and they love to play around the creek on the greenbelt, so like I've said, it all depends on where you are in your life. I like the area a lot.... Lake Arcadia is so close.. we jet ski there a lot. I've never lived anywhere else in OK so I guess I'm biased.. but based on the schools and the people here, it works for us and I love raising a family here.

There are things to do in the area... might not be everyone's cup of tea, but you just have to know where to look.

foodiefan
04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Re: Midwest City/TABF area. . . you asked about it 2X, so I'm presuming your have an interest in that area. . . perhaps a mil/civ employee. . . or working for one of the majors that have located here to do business with Tinker/Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center or the MRO Mall.

Disclosure: I lived in MWC and worked at the base for many years, but moved after I retired because most of the activities I am interested in/involved in are in the OKC "core". If the area was where it is at today when I moved, I'm not so sure I would have made the effort to move. . . .

TAFB/OC-ALC is actually the largest single site employer in the State. . . probably over 25,000 mil/civ employees. Not sure of current figures, but they used to say that the yearly ecomonic impact of the base was larger than the budget for the State of Oklahoma. . . people tend to think of Tinker as a "blue collar" workforce, but the administrative/managerial workforce is probably the larger of the two. . .so don't be mislead when someone indicates that they could close Tinker and it wouldn't be a death knell to the economy of not only the OKC metro area, but the state as well. Many mil/civ employees live in the Mid/Del area, but the commuter population is larger. . . they drive from OKC, Edmond, Moore, Norman, Yukon, Mustang, Shawnee. . .and some even further.

MWC is, indeed, "moving up" in the scheme of things, and , while they have a way to go, there is a lot to be said for the MWC, Choctaw/Harrah area. Housing in Eastern Oklahoma County can match some of the very upscale areas in OKC and Edmond (350,000 and up) and it's a quick trip via the interstate to downtown, Norman, Penn Square. . probably 20 minutes max to anywhere "cool". If you are in MWC proper, that would be 10-20 minutes.

If you think about what Edmond was like in the 70s -80's, your looking at the MWC area . . .and they are on the move.

If you will be working in the TAFB area, I would definitely look closely at Eastern Oklahoma County. . . if not, then. . . no.

OUman
04-25-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm not a city expert, but having lived here since '97 and having been around the metro, I can definitely say I like it here. Especially where I live, in Norman. Norman has been able to combine the college town atmosphere with the city-like feel and small-town feel all in one. If you choose Norman, night life here can be found on campus, at a historic area called "Campus Corner"-it's where you'll find great bars and restaurants, also on the west side of town, plenty of options as far as dining goes along the Ed Noble Parkway. As far as apartments go, Norman is still in the midst of a building boom, and the latest addition is an apartment/store area coming up on the east side called the "East Village." I believe it will also have a few condos. The building boom also spills over to homes as well, there have been more than a thousand new homes built here over the past 5 years. Norman has an excellent road system, most streets are laid out in a grid-like manner here as well and there are a million ways to get to where you want to go. Only thing is, some of them are not maintained that well, and you'll always find construction year-round.

The thing about the "east side" and "west side" is that Norman has pretty much expanded more in an east-west fashion than north-south, so pretty much any location other than downtown/central is referred to as being on the "east" or "west" side. Also, the older part of town is on the east side, the newer part is the west side.

6foot3
04-26-2007, 04:44 AM
Some more general ???'s

I may want to increase my skills in HVAC (air conditioning/fefrigeration) so how's the community college system there or trade schools. Although not needing any medical care what is the main hospotal incase i ever was sick or got hurt. I see OU has a large one but i think its a medical school hospital. Where do i go for drivers liscense and plates and who is the utility providers ??? Oh yeah are the cooling systems all refrigerated air. Do you evaporative cooling like out here in New Mexico..

Thanks again......

mranderson
04-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Some more general ???'s

I may want to increase my skills in HVAC (air conditioning/fefrigeration) so how's the community college system there or trade schools. Although not needing any medical care what is the main hospotal incase i ever was sick or got hurt. I see OU has a large one but i think its a medical school hospital. Where do i go for drivers liscense and plates and who is the utility providers ??? Oh yeah are the cooling systems all refrigerated air. Do you evaporative cooling like out here in New Mexico..

Thanks again......

OKlahoma City Community College is one of the best Community Colleges in the nation, and one of the largest by enrollment. Our Vo-Tech system, I feel is good.

It is good that you want to hone your skills, because Oklahoma requires HVAC people to be licensed.

Drivers license, you go to DMV (Oklahoma calls it DPS). To change your vehicle registration, go to any tag agency. And the cooling systems? Refrigerated air.

Karried
04-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Technology
http://www.metrotech.org/full-time/flag.gif (http://www.metrotech.org/college-credit.html) (http://www.metrotech.org/college-rose.html)OSU-OKM (http://www.metrotech.org/college-OSU-OKM.html)
RSC (http://www.metrotech.org/college-rose.html)

Program Description
Install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain residential, commercial and industrial equipment. Learn air conditioning, refrigeration and heating applications. Specialized training for EPA certification in refrigerants is also offered. After completing both programs and completing one year of verifiable work experience in the HVACR
industry, applicants may apply to take the Oklahoma Journeyman Refrigeration test. Day or evening classes available.
The following programs are available:
Refrigeration Technology prepares students for refrigeration technician.
Air Conditioning/Heating Technology prepares students for HVAC technician.

Metro Technology Centers Full-Time Program - Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Technology (http://www.metrotech.org/full-time/cd-hvac.html)

You might also try Francis Tuttle

jbrown84
04-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Some more general ???'s

Thanks again......

Nope, no swamp coolers here. Too humid. Seems we've covered tech schools. You have a lot of options with OKC Community College, Francis Tuttle Vo-Tech, OSU-OKC, and other smaller ones.

Hospitals: OU Medical Center is strong, and semi-public. The major private hospitals include St. Anthony (midtown/downtown), Integris Baptist (inner NW), Mercy (far NW), Deaconess (inner NW), and Integris Southwest (inner SW). I recommend St. Anthony because they aren't as money-grubbing as the others and have a strong commitment to Midtown and to the poor and homeless.

Patrick
04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
There are two main vo-tech centers: Francis Tuttle Vo-Tech on the city's far northwest side, and Metro Technology Centers on the city's northeast side. Both have HVAC programs.

You can also consider our main community colleges: Oklahoma State University-OKC campus, Oklahoma City Community College, and Rose State College in Midwest City.

Main hospitals have already been listed. The largest is probably OU Medical Center, also the home to Oklahoma's only Trauma 1 Center. All of our hospitals are generally good, although I'd say the Integris Hospitals (Baptist and Southwest) and Mercy are probably more money-grubbing.
I'd typicaly stay away from the regional hospitals like Edmond Medical Center, Midwest Regional Med Center, Norman Regional, Canadian Valley Hospital, etc., because if you have a major problem, you'll just be transferred to OU Medical Center anyways.

We actually were transferred a patient recently from Midwest Regional. She had fever of unknown origin. Midwest Regional had her in the hospital for an entire month and couldn't determine the cause of her fevers. Patient was transferred to OU Medical Center FINALLY, and we found out she had a pulmonary embolism the first day. Took us one day, something they couldn't determine in 1 month.

AFCM
04-26-2007, 05:25 PM
If you're interested in getting some training and experience with HVAC, you can earn while you learn with the Oklahoma Air National Guard. I'm not a recruiter, and I don't want to sound like one, but consider the following:

- Instead of paying to receive training at some Vo-Tech, the Air Force will PAY YOU to learn a new skill.

- In addition to the skill you'll learn at AF Tech School, you'll be receiving college credit torwards your Associate's Degree. The AF is the only branch of service to have it's own community college. Check into the Community College of the Air Force. Whenever you enlist, you're actually enrolling in school, and all the training you receive goes towards your degree. All you have to do is get credit for your general core classes and you'll have a degree. How do you do that? Well, CLEPS are free to military members, so you can take that avenue. Don't feel like taking CLEPs? Well, you can always...

- ...Go to state funded school with 100% tuition assistance paid. While you're attending school for free, you can also collect nearly a thousand dollars a month from the GI Bill. When I start playing baseball again, I'll be attending college for free and pocketing the GI Bill to pay for bills and live.

- Also, when you sign up for the Air National Guard, you're entitled to a $15,000 bonus upon the successful completion of your training.

- Plus, with all of that training, schooling, and experience...what more could a potential employer want out of an applicant? The answer...MILITARY. Having a military background is a huge plus to many employers, especially government jobs. Having prior military service on your resume makes you very marketable!

- What about deployments? Well, they are always a possibility, but this isn't the Army National Guard we're talking about here. The Air National Guard almost always asks for volunteers first, and you will rarely ever deploy. They understand you're a civilian first, and will try everything in their power to keep you from unwanted deployments.

- Now, add up free training, experience, college education, $15K bonus, marketability, and pride in what you do...what do you owe the ANG? Just one weekend a month, and two weeks a year. I challenge you to find ANY part time job like that offers these benefits, especially while requiring so little of you.

I'm not a recruiter, but I am a big advocate of military service. I'm sorry to take this so far off base, but if you're interested in getting some skill, you should look into joining the Oklahoma Air National Guard. If you're interested, PM me and I can get you in contact with a recruiter. If you're not, that's fine. Good luck and have a safe trip.