View Full Version : The War Economy

CMSturgeon
04-24-2007, 06:21 AM
I have two things I would like to ask/discuss...

Topic A): Are there any areas of the economy in which we can feel the impact of the dollars being spent on the Iraq War?

If so, will these areas flourish when it is over? And what happened to the good ol' war economy, and society flourishing in those periods.

Oh wait, the majority supported those wars didn't they...?

Topic B): What do you think about the bill that's in front of Congress right now that addresses the government no longer supplying funds for abortions? It's a hard call for me. In strict tax dollars sense, I would rather pay $600 once than for something for 18 years, or usually more. But in regards to my own values, I don't particularly enjoy helping kill babies. And what about rape victims? I am willing to pay for that. I think.

NE Oasis
04-24-2007, 06:52 AM
[QUOTE=CMSturgeon;95442] Are there any areas of the economy in which we can feel the impact of the dollars being spent on the Iraq War?

If so, will these areas flourish when it is over? And what happened to the good ol' war economy, and society flourishing in those periods.

What do you think about the bill that's in front of Congress right now that addresses the government no longer supplying funds for abortions? /QUOTE]

Just my humble opinions-
The "war" economy-In previous wartime environments "trickle-down" occured. In the current situation I see most of the economic impact going to major corporations like Halliburton, who in turn support the "luxuries" industry instead of striving to strengthen our country.

Federal funding for abortion-take it away. I am anti-abortion, no matter what the details are.

Easy180
04-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Hope the abortion bill doesn't pass as it would just be another step in the right wingers' all encompassing attempt to overturn roe v wade

If it's put up to a vote on the state level...Make all those who vote against any abortions go on a list similar to jury duty and if they are picked...They get a new addition to the family...Make them put their money where their mouth is

JIMBO
04-24-2007, 05:27 PM
I have two things I would like to ask/discuss...

Topic A): Are there any areas of the economy in which we can feel the impact of the dollars being spent on the Iraq War?

Topic B): What do you think about the bill that's in front of Congress right now that addresses the government no longer supplying funds for abortions? It's a hard call for me. In strict tax dollars sense, I would rather pay $600 once than for something for 18 years, or usually more. But in regards to my own values, I don't particularly enjoy helping kill babies. And what about rape victims? I am willing to pay for that. I think.

Topic A); Good question! I'll have to think about that.

Topic B); The constitution guarenties life, liberty, and the pursute of happiness
to all men (read persons). We need to come to some agreement as to when
this guarentee starts; at conception, first trimester, second trimester, third trimester, birth, 1year of age, puberty, or age of concent (currently 18 yrs.):tiphat:

dismayed
04-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Usually the 'war economy' thing doesn't work the way most people think it does. Historically periods of war have been bad for the economy, it's the rebound towards the end of a war and thereafter where we usually see big economic growth.

CMSturgeon
04-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Topic A); Good question! I'll have to think about that.

Topic B); The constitution guarenties life, liberty, and the pursute of happiness
to all men (read persons). We need to come to some agreement as to when
this guarentee starts; at conception, first trimester, second trimester, third trimester, birth, 1year of age, puberty, or age of concent (currently 18 yrs.):tiphat:

Good Point. Some people argue that plan B is just an easy abortion but those folks are uneducated, it does not UNfertilize an egg, it just prevents fertilization.

Usually the 'war economy' thing doesn't work the way most people think it does. Historically periods of war have been bad for the economy, it's the rebound towards the end of a war and thereafter where we usually see big economic growth.

When I mentioned those'flourishing' periods during wars, I thought of what my high school history books tought me about the world wars and Rosie the Riveter...etc.