View Full Version : where OKC ranks on a longevity poll

metro
04-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I was reading my newest copy of Men's Health magazine and according to their poll which also used CDC and US Census Bureau stats, OKC ranked 98 and Tulsa ranked 96 of the top 100 cities for men's longevity. #1 meaning that men live the longest and #100 meaning they live shorter lives. San Francisco took the #1 spot.

Karried
04-23-2007, 07:13 PM
It's no surprise. With the weather and active lifestyle, the Bay Area always ranks ahead of other states and areas. SanFran is often foggy in the morning ( great for jogging and walking) no humidity, winters are very mild .. perfect weather ( something I never appreciated until moving to OK) people walk and ride bikes everywhere (of course there is a high pedestrian fatality rate too -it's really congested traffic wise too).

Physical fitness is easily attainable there if you make even a bit of effort.. ie walk to the corner market instead of drive. There is always so much going on outside.

Well, add this to the Fast Food per capita survey, along with our state vegetable - the healthy low fat watermelon and we're on our way to quite the reputation here in OK. Beautiful.

Spartan
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
I really hate to make a joke out of this, and I'm not making it into a laughing matter at all, but were they aware that San Fran has AIDS?

bandnerd
04-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Um, AIDS is everywhere. Even here.

HOT ROD
04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
SF has a higher rate of it than does OKC tho.

I hate these surveys/polls because they never say anything new. It seems as if they take the popular cities and always rate them high for ... this or .... that.

SF also has a much higher murder rate than OKC, but I bet the survey didn't take that into account either. :(

mranderson
04-23-2007, 09:26 PM
I really hate to make a joke out of this, and I'm not making it into a laughing matter at all, but were they aware that San Fran has AIDS?

You keep mentioning some place called San Fran. I have never heard of it. Where is it?

Karried
04-23-2007, 09:49 PM
You keep mentioning some place called San Fran. I have never heard of it.

That's not surprising.. For those of us born in CA and residents of 'San Fran' it's a no brainer. Even those who travel frequently have figured it out.

No worries, usually those who are truly 'in the know' of the Bay Area refer to it as such.. ie Locals and Lifetime residents.... someone, like yourself, who was born and raised in OK and just visits occasionally, wouldn't understand the terminology.

To make it simple, it's an abbreviation that most of us who have lived there our whole lives use.

Now you can say you have heard of it.

If it is still confusing to you.. think of it this way.. people call Oklahoma City 'OKC' .. and those of us born and raised in California call San Francisco 'San Fran' or
(gasp) 'Frisco' on occasion.

BG918
04-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Physical fitness needs to be better promoted in OKC. More bike lanes on roads, more fitness programs for kids and adults, and more healthy restaurants. It's amazing what eating most of your meals at home and getting at least 30 min. of exercise a day will do for you. And by eating at home I mean not frying your food or cooking with butter but grilling and baking instead, using olive oil, and eating fruits and vegetables. Simply jogging/walking around the block can be your exercise for the day.

mranderson
04-23-2007, 10:35 PM
"To make it simple, it's an abbreviation that most of us who have lived there our whole lives use. "

I was being sarcastic. As a Bay Area native, I am quite shocked that you allow people to insult that city. I doubt St. Francis would appreciate being called St. Fran. The city is San Francisco, NOT "San Fran," and (for the record) NOT "Frisco."

writerranger
04-23-2007, 11:07 PM
"To make it simple, it's an abbreviation that most of us who have lived there our whole lives use. "

I was being sarcastic. As a Bay Area native, I am quite shocked that you allow people to insult that city. I doubt St. Francis would appreciate being called St. Fran. The city is San Francisco, NOT "San Fran," and (for the record) NOT "Frisco."

You find something wrong with EVERYTHING!

-------------------------------

Spartan
04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
You keep mentioning some place called San Fran. I have never heard of it. Where is it?

It's right by San Jose

Do you know the way to san jose?
Ive been away so long. I may go wrong and lose my way.
Im going back to find some peace of mind in san jose.

L.a. is a great big freeway.
Put a hundred down and buy a car.
In a week, maybe two, theyll make you a star
Weeks turn into years. how quck they pass
And all the stars that never were
Are parking cars and pumping gas

Theyve got a lot of space. therell be a place where I can stay
I was born and raised in san jose
Im going back to find some peace of mind in san jose.

Fame and fortune is a magnet.
It can pull you far away from home
With a dream in your heart youre never alone.
Dreams turn into dust and blow away
And there you are without a friend
You pack your car and ride away

Ive got lots of friends in san jose
Cant wait to get back to san jose.

Karried
04-24-2007, 05:34 AM
Here we go again.... I too, was being sarcastic.

Didn't we cover this before? Something along the line as Fruits and Nuts?

You are not the authority on California. Please don't think that because you've visited a few times that you are. You really can't know the first thing about what locals and residents think, say or do, based on a few visits to Sacramento.. which btw is a few hours away from the Bay Area.

Where in all of your experiences did someone tell you that Californians or San Fran residents think it is insulting to have their city name shortened??

NOWHERE! Because it's not true.. something else you made up in your head....

mranderson
04-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Here we go again.... I too, was being sarcastic.

Didn't we cover this before? Something along the line as Fruits and Nuts?

You are not the authority on California. Please don't think that because you've visited a few times that you are. You really can't know the first thing about what locals and residents think, say or do, based on a few visits to Sacramento.. which btw is a few hours away from the Bay Area.

Where in all of your experiences did someone tell you that Californians or San Fran residents think it is insulting to have their city name shortened??

NOWHERE! Because it's not true.. something else you made up in your head....

Maybe YOU do not care, however, one, I care, and THAT is the most important, and two, I have had numerous (too many to count) people from the Bay Area tell me it bothers them. Plus. "A few?" You do not know how many times I have been to anywhere, let alone, anywhere in California.

Karried
04-24-2007, 06:19 AM
I have had numerous (too many to count) people from the Bay Area tell me it bothers them.

Ahh, the always popular 'unofficial poll' and 'statistics' argument again.

I'll back up what I say with facts. I have lived in the Bay Area for 40 years and never, ever, nada, nowhere have I talked to or heard that people are offended and insulted by the abbreviation.

You, are the only one who has decided to feel offended. I have better things to do than take offense to something so silly.

But, I do feel offended that you ( never even having lived in CA ) call out our members on a perceived and unfounded 'insult' just because you don't like it.

Maybe YOU do not care, however, one, I care, and THAT is the most important,

THAT is most important???

You forgot to tip your hat to yourself again. lol

San Fran San Fran San Fran San Fran San Fran

Frisco Frisco Frisco Frisco Frisco Frisco Frisco

* Yes, I feel better now.

CMSturgeon
04-24-2007, 06:24 AM

Actually, it's a small shopping section inside of Wally World.

Easy180
04-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Another great thread by the defender of everything UNIMPORTANT and UNECCESSARY

Highly entertaining...And no I'm not talkin about you karried :pat_head:

writerranger
04-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey Metro, Aren't you glad we're talking about the Men's Health ranking? Sorry, we've had to take some time to deal with a poster who insists on disrupting (seemingly) every thread.

As for those rankings, I find it sad that Oklahoma, as a state, consistently ranks so low in anything to do with health. I know they're doing some things, especially at the state government level, to deal with this - but I'm afraid they've got their job cut out for them.

By the way, I don't think we can blame the messengers on these rankings. They are telling us something that we need to pay attention to and wake up.

-------------------------

metro
04-24-2007, 12:58 PM
I am glad we're talking about it. Furthermore, yes the state and local governments have their work cut out for them on this issue, but I have noticed we are making a difference and implementing changes. Unfortunately these things will probably take a few years before they are noted as change in a poll. The Mayor's Fitness Challenge in both OKC and Tulsa will help as well as Corporate Challenge continues in its 19th year, The OKC Memorial Marathon and other marathons, and the Governors Healthy Oklahoma initiative will help us on this front, but we do need mroe.

jbrown84
04-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Nice (not) to see that High Lord Semanticus has hijacked another thread.

Tim
04-24-2007, 01:20 PM
I am glad we're talking about it. Furthermore, yes the state and local governments have their work cut out for them on this issue, but I have noticed we are making a difference and implementing changes. Unfortunately these things will probably take a few years before they are noted as change in a poll. The Mayor's Fitness Challenge in both OKC and Tulsa will help as well as Corporate Challenge continues in its 19th year, The OKC Memorial Marathon and other marathons, and the Governors Healthy Oklahoma initiative will help us on this front, but we do need mroe.

Agreed. I find this particularly amusing because I got my e-butt handed to me on another thread for supporting bicycling in Oklahoma! Seems like a lot of us want to rank higher on fitness, but darned if we'll actually change our lifestyles!

jbrown84
04-24-2007, 01:23 PM
By the way, I don't think we can blame the messengers on these rankings. They are telling us something that we need to pay attention to and wake up.

I would agree, but I'm not convinced these surveys are completely unbiased.

jbrown84
04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Agreed. I find this particularly amusing because I got my e-butt handed to me on another thread for supporting bicycling in Oklahoma! Seems like a lot of us want to rank higher on fitness, but darned if we'll actually change our lifestyles!

BIKES?? You crazy Hillary-loving liberal! I'll run you over if I see you on the road.

Tim
04-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Love you too pumpkin!

Karried
04-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Speaking of... can't we please make the pumpkin our state veggie?

I'm still in denial over the sugar/carb (yeah, yeah, it's a good carb) filled watermelon actually being considered as our state vegetable.

jbrown84
04-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Love you too pumpkin!

:was joking:

Karried
04-24-2007, 01:40 PM
jbrown84... I'm pretty sure Tim was joking too... otherwise, I'm worried about the two of you... with all of these terms of endearment floating around .. lol

Tim
04-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Well of course! Hey, wait a minute...some jerk in a land rover is honking at me, wait...he's speeding up! AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH (sound of Tim being crushed under jbrowns wheels)

y_h
04-24-2007, 01:54 PM
For those interested in the article, it can be found here . . .

Where They Never Say Die - Men's Health (http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=health&category=metrogrades&conitem=928896cf917d1110VgnVCM20000012281eac____&page=1)

Not a whole lot of details regarding the depth of their research, the total breakdown of relevant criteria and the scale used to assess the grades. Perhaps the print article has more substance.

Articles like this seem quite pointless to me. Frankly, I think it's safe to say that OKC is a much less stressful place to live than many of the cities far ahead of it on this list and anyone who knows anything about men's health knows that stress is a huge contributing factor to major heart attacks. I'll take the relative ease of transportation, generally newer public infrastructure and lower stress lifestyle of OKC over San Francisco every day. Throw in the lower cost of living and I'll be able to save enough money to pay for a nice SF vacation here and there.

wsucougz
04-24-2007, 02:34 PM
In my experience depth of research and Men's Health don't typically belong in the same sentence.

On a side note, pm me and I'll tell you how to get six pack abs in 4 days.

Spartan
04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
I'll be sending you a PM....

jbrown84
04-24-2007, 04:01 PM
sending who?

BDP
04-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Frankly, I think it's safe to say that OKC is a much less stressful place to live than many of the cities far ahead of it on this list and anyone who knows anything about men's health knows that stress is a huge contributing factor to major heart attacks.

Actually, i think you'll find that the death by heart disease rates are close to double in Oklahoma City what they are in San Francisco. If it is less stressful in OKC, diet and lifestyle more than make up for it.

I'll take the relative ease of transportation, generally newer public infrastructure and lower stress lifestyle of OKC over San Francisco every day

Having lived in both, I found San Francisco a lot less stressful than Oklahoma City, but that does depend on where you live in SF. I probably would not be saying the same thing if I lived in the East Bay. Getting around the city is much easier than getting around OKC and, while the infrastructure is older in some parts (MUCH newer in others), San Francisco has a much more comprehensive infrastructure than Oklahoma City for sure.

Sure, there are moments of stress that occur with Bay Area living that don't occur here, but day to day life in San Francisco is much more relaxing than it is here, imo.

Throw in the lower cost of living...

Can't argue with that one. $800,000+ median house price. Though you do get a higher degree of access to services, natural beauty, and lifestyle options (no AIDS jokes, please), so it's really just a matter of what you're in the market for. A Ford Focus will cost you less and still get you there for sure, but it will have a bit fewer amenities than a Mercedes. :)

While no study is without flaw or bias, I do think that it is hard to make a case that Oklahoma's culture is a realtively healthy one.

Spartan
04-24-2007, 05:17 PM
sending who?

Cougz promised me six-pack abs in four days with his new method!!! Ladies, here I come. :demonslay

Tim
04-25-2007, 01:12 PM
My abs were developed with the aid of numerous six-packs. Does that count?