View Full Version : Buying a used boat

CMSturgeon
04-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Thinking about it, what should I know?

What should I make sure I get from the owner before I hand over the cash?

BailJumper
04-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Personally, I'd go with an outboard motor if buying a used boat. Easier to have work done. That is unless you are talkng about a sail boat.

Really, the rest depends on how 'used' your budget is set for and what type of boat you are looking for (ski, bass, pleasure, pontoon, sail, etc.).

If going for a ski boat, I'd stear away from the ones previously owned by the family of 6 who have put hundreds of hard hours on a boat.

We and the rest of our family are the lake type and have bought lots of boats.

Personally, I prefer one large pontoon boat for pleasure crusing, sunning and BBQ's onboard. Then hook the a couple of seadoos to the sides and those that wanna ski and fly around can do so while the rest relax.

CMSturgeon
04-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Personally, I'd go with an outboard motor if buying a used boat. Easier to have work done. That is unless you are talkng about a sail boat.

Really, the rest depends on how 'used' your budget is set for and what type of boat you are looking for (ski, bass, pleasure, pontoon, sail, etc.).

If going for a ski boat, I'd stear away from the ones previously owned by the family of 6 who have put hundreds of hard hours on a boat.

We and the rest of our family are the lake type and have bought lots of boats.

Personally, I prefer one large pontoon boat for pleasure crusing, sunning and BBQ's onboard. Then hook the a couple of seadoos to the sides and those that wanna ski and fly around can do so while the rest relax.

Lol, a pontoon is certainly not fitting my budget at this time. We're looking at a 88' Bayliner for $2000. It has some problems: 85hp motor is the biggest you can put in the boat, could use some reupholstering... But those are things we can deal with. My hubby isn't a skier and I've never skied before myself so a really fast boat isn't a big deal to me. The owner is including a tube and all life jackets and a cover. He is also sailing a really nice camper for $2000 as well. I would like to buy that too but hey we only have one truck. Plus, I would feel kind of lame thinking I needed a camper to make it one weekend at the lake.

BailJumper
04-23-2007, 06:49 AM
If this is your first boat purchase or you are not hard cvore boaters, I think an older lower budget boat is the way to go. Try it for a season and see if you really get use out of it. If so, you can probably always sell it for what you have in it and upgrade. If you decide a boat is alot of work and expense you were not considering, then at least you didn't over invest.

SoonerBent
04-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Lol, a pontoon is certainly not fitting my budget at this time. We're looking at a 88' Bayliner for $2000. It has some problems: 85hp motor is the biggest you can put in the boat, could use some reupholstering... But those are things we can deal with. My hubby isn't a skier and I've never skied before myself so a really fast boat isn't a big deal to me. The owner is including a tube and all life jackets and a cover. He is also sailing a really nice camper for $2000 as well. I would like to buy that too but hey we only have one truck. Plus, I would feel kind of lame thinking I needed a camper to make it one weekend at the lake.I agree with bailjumper that this would be in the ball park for a first boat. 85HP is fine. Pay no attention to all the 225s you see unless you feel the need to do 60 mph. We used to ski behind a 17 footer with a 55 and noboby had trouble except the 200lb + guys in the family. Unless the seats just aren't usable drive the thing for a summer and see how it goes, then redo or sell and upgrade.

Tim
04-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I agree with bailjumper that this would be in the ball park for a first boat. 85HP is fine. Pay no attention to all the 225s you see unless you feel the need to do 60 mph. We used to ski behind a 17 footer with a 55 and noboby had trouble except the 200lb + guys in the family. Unless the seats just aren't usable drive the thing for a summer and see how it goes, then redo or sell and upgrade.

My brother always said "The two happiest days of a man's life are the day he buys his first boat, and the day he sells the damn thing." Of course, my brother is kindof a dork.

Misty
04-24-2007, 03:53 PM
I bought my first boat brand new and it was heavenly bliss for the first several years. Once it started needing work/maintenance I thought I was going to go insane. THANK GOD one of my best friends is a mechanic AND lives on Lake Travis & has a boat slip in Austin. I got so tired of dealing with it that I just gave it to him and his wife with the agreement that I can just use it when I want to. My advice-have a good mechanic look at the engine first and BE PREPARED to put some money and work into it. It will break down at the beginning of every holiday weekend. Ha ha. As far as the camper goes, I always just sleep on my boat. It doesn't have a cabin but I love sleeping in the open air under the stars. There is NOTHING more fun that being on a boat at the lake but be prepared for the work, gas and upkeep money it will take. Oh yeah, and your friends will love joining you at the lake but will not be around to help clean it or put gas in it!

RealtorJoe
04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Buying a used boat is always tough! Get it checked out b/f you buy it.

CCOKC
04-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Any ideas about renting boats? I have a trailer at Lake Texoma and have looked at boats for years but decided that it might be more cost effecient to rent instead of buy. Has anybody ever rented a boat for a weekend?

Misty
04-27-2007, 07:36 AM
If you just want to use a boat a few times a year I would go with renting! Just rental fee and some gas then someone else cleans it, maintains it, ect! You just get to enjoy it for the day and then forget about it.