View Full Version : Gunman in Johnson Space Center

kmf563
04-20-2007, 02:24 PM
"HOUSTON, Texas — There have been reports of a shooting at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, according to local news reports.

There were unconfirmed reports of shots fired, a NASA spokeswoman told FOX News.

NASA is advising employees to stay put.

Local FOX affiliate KRIV reports that it is not known if a gunman has been caught or if anyone was injured in the shooting. Building 44, which is an engineering building that also houses offices and labs, is currently on lockdown.

The NASA spokeswoman said a call came in from Building 44 around 1:40 p.m. local time, saying there was a person with a weapon seen. Houston police and space center authorities were then dispatched.

NASA spokesman James Hartsfield said the building was one of the smaller structures on the space center campus, where Mission Control is based. He declined to speculate on how an armed person might have slipped past NASA security.

Nearby schools, as well as the four surrounding buildings near Building 44, were also on lockdown. Traffic has been restricted in the area."

WT...??? How exactly can someone with a gun "slip" past security at NASA????

Spartan
04-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Easy. The place is inundated with thousands of tourists at any point in time.

I have a buddy that works at an engineering outfit on the NASA facility and I've slipped in before with relative little ease. Of course they make strangers go through security, similarly to any other gub'ment complex.

My guess is a disgruntled employee.

writerranger
04-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Wonder if he's left a multimedia PR kit? No, unfortunately, I'm not kidding.

-------------------

PUGalicious
04-20-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm sure you'll blame NBC News nonetheless.

writerranger
04-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm sure you'll blame NBC News nonetheless.

Can't good people disagree? Can you not see the other side in that matter? I think there is a major re-evaluation in newsrooms across the country. I know law enforcement and investigatory agencies are incensed at the decision. It was irresponsible, plain and simple.

If someone did do something like what Cho did, and left a full-blown ready-prepared PR kit. Who would you blame? If they had handed it to the police without the need to sensationalize it and make it a ratings winner, nobody would even know. Now, as it is, if there is another nut that copies Cho - yes - the blame in prodding a killer to think he can be immortalized on his own terms lies with the decision of NBC. But, Pug, really - good people can disagree. We'll be agreeing in the next thread about another topic.
---------------

Karried
04-20-2007, 04:50 PM
That is the key, being able to discuss issues respectfully .. even though we are all upset and troubled by these horrible incidents, we can still try to talk about ( and get through) emotional issues together. Maybe we can see the other side a bit.

PUGalicious
04-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Can't good people disagree?
Surely.

Can you not see the other side in that matter?
I can, but I disagree with the other side's position as presented so far. Yet, when I disagree, you continue to treat me as if I'm not "good people."

I think there is a major re-evaluation in newsrooms across the country.
That's a good thing.

I know law enforcement and investigatory agencies are incensed at the decision.
Having worked for a police department for a while, this comes as no surprise to me. I don't fault them for being incensed. But that doesn't change my position.

It was irresponsible, plain and simple.
I disagree, plain and simple.

If someone did do something like what Cho did, and left a full-blown ready-prepared PR kit. Who would you blame?
The blame lies solely with the person who commits the act.

If they had handed it to the police without the need to sensationalize it and make it a ratings winner, nobody would even know.
You're kidding yourself if you believe that it would never be revealed. It can only be kept secret for so long. At some point, it becomes a matter of public record.

Now, as it is, if there is another nut that copies Cho - yes - the blame in prodding a killer to think he can be immortalized on his own terms lies with the decision of NBC.
No, the blame lies solely with the person who commits the act.

But, Pug, really - good people can disagree. We'll be agreeing in the next thread about another topic.
Agreed.

writerranger
04-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Surely. I can, but I disagree with the other side's position as presented so far. Yet, when I disagree, you continue to treat me as if I'm not "good people."

Well, to be honest, I felt it was a little the other way around. Pug, I'm truly sorry if you felt I treated you that way. I only regret my post bringing religion into it, but that didn't concern you anyway. I respect you and would have no reason at all to think you are not a good person. I tried on a couple of occasions to end my posts with respect for your viewpoint. A good debate shouldn't mean either one of us are not, "good people." I have long said, concerning this board, that it would be a boring place if we all walked in lock-step and drank the same Kool-Aid.

----------------