View Full Version : State Vegetable=Watermelon

Karried
04-18-2007, 04:10 PM
The state of OK has named watermelon the state vegetable. What do you think?

jbrown84
04-18-2007, 04:26 PM
I didn't know Watermelon was a vegetable...

but I'll take it. Do we even grow watermelon here?

bandnerd
04-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Yes we grow watermelon here ;) Maybe not so much in OKC but I know it's grown in the more rural pars.

And I also did not know watermelon was classified as a veggie. Learn something new every day.

jbrown84
04-18-2007, 04:38 PM
We were so upset this might makes us look stupid that we looked it up and according to watermelon.org, it is both a fruit and a vegetable.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-18-2007, 04:42 PM
I don't care what they say...Calling a watermelon a vegetable is like calling a potato a flower.

*grumbles*

*eats "flower" wedges*

Karried
04-18-2007, 04:42 PM
I've never, ever thought it was a vegetable.

I fear we'll still look stupid.

Karried
04-18-2007, 04:44 PM
A tomato as a fruit doesn't make sense to me either - I put them on my salad. I don't like fruit on my salad.. fruit should be sweet and veggies yucky.. that's the way of the world.

windowphobe
04-18-2007, 05:00 PM
I would have voted for Ernest Istook.

Martin
04-18-2007, 05:08 PM
i don't see how one could even think that a watermelon is a vegetable.

generally, if the leaves, stems or roots are what is being eaten then the classification is vegetable. if the reproductive portion of the plant is being eaten that (usually) contains the seeds, etc is being consumed then it's a fruit. given some plants' physiology, the classification can sometimes be a little fuzzy; but here it isn't. watermelon is obviously a fruit. is this a great state or what?

-M

(p.s. rush springs, ok is famous for their watermelon festival)

BailJumper
04-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Oh my God - We name airports after people who crash their planes, our state flower is considered a parasite and now our state vegetable is considered by most people to be a fruit!

Looking at my yard, I'm surprised they didn't name the Dandelion the state vegetable.

AFCM
04-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh my God - We name airports after people who crash their planes, our state flower is considered a parasite and now our state vegetable is considered by most people to be a fruit!

I think Oklahoma classified watermelon as a vegetable because they were saving the honor of naming the state fruit for one of the Mathis brothers. Yup, we're good with names.

Karried
04-18-2007, 05:40 PM
lol.. you forgot our state bird.. the Scissortailed Fly Catcher.. cuz we have so many dang flies here in OK!

mranderson
04-18-2007, 06:07 PM
I think Oklahoma classified watermelon as a vegetable because they were saving the honor of naming the state fruit for one of the Mathis brothers. Yup, we're good with names.

So, that means there is or will be a Strawberry named in honor of a Mathis brother. Afterall, the state fruit IS the Strawberry.

I have always thought of a watermelon as a fruit, however, the reports I heard said it is a member of the gourd (or squash) family, which would make it a vegetable.

AFCM
04-19-2007, 01:19 AM
So, that means there is or will be a Strawberry named in honor of a Mathis brother. Afterall, the state fruit IS the Strawberry.

I have always thought of a watermelon as a fruit, however, the reports I heard said it is a member of the gourd (or squash) family, which would make it a vegetable.

Ughh...you missed the joke BIGTIME. Of course, if I wanted to do a little research I could google "Oklahoma state fruit" and discover it is in fact, the strawberry. If you had the slightest sense of humor, you wouldn't have read into the post so literally and you would've understood the joke.

Now, did you actually read the reports regarding watermelons and its classification as a vegetable?

mranderson
04-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Ughh...you missed the joke BIGTIME. Of course, if I wanted to do a little research I could google "Oklahoma state fruit" and discover it is in fact, the strawberry. If you had the slightest sense of humor, you wouldn't have read into the post so literally and you would've understood the joke.

Now, did you actually read the reports regarding watermelons and its classification as a vegetable?

I knew EXACTLY what incorrect implication (more accuratly, accusation) you were making.

AFCM
04-19-2007, 10:53 AM
I knew EXACTLY what incorrect implication (more accuratly, accusation) you were making.

My statement was too vague to be considered an accusation, and my implication was not correct because it's only an implication and doesn't require me to cite evidence or statistics.

If I said, "Xxxx, xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx", and intended to pass it off as a fact, then it would be incorrect if there is supporting evidence to indicate the statement is false. However, with an implication, I'm merely giving a hint of something and letting readers, like you, infer your own conclusions. I didn't outright say, "Xxxxxxx", so I don't need to prove "xxxxxx" is true. I can imply anything. My implications are correct, no matter what I imply.

mranderson
04-19-2007, 08:17 PM
My statement was too vague to be considered an accusation, and my implication was not correct because it's only an implication and doesn't require me to cite evidence or statistics.

If I said, "Xxxx, xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx", and intended to pass it off as a fact, then it would be incorrect if there is supporting evidence to indicate the statement is false. However, with an implication, I'm merely giving a hint of something and letting readers, like you, infer your own conclusions. I didn't outright say, "Xxxxxxx", so I don't need to prove "xxxxxx" is true. I can imply anything. My implications are correct, no matter what I imply.

You called one of the Mathis Brothers a "fruit." if that is not an accusation, then tell me what it is. You DID make an accusation. No doubt about it.

AFCM
04-19-2007, 10:07 PM
You called one of the Mathis Brothers a "fruit." if that is not an accusation, then tell me what it is. You DID make an accusation. No doubt about it.

I was implying we could name SOMETHING after SOMEONE; I wasn't naming SOMEONE SOMETHING. It would be one thing to honor Matt Hoffman by naming a sports park after him, but it would be another thing to name Matt Hoffman himself, a sports park. Now I guess you're going to assume Dr. Alzheimers is actually a disease. Do you see the difference? There was no accusation, but rather implication, which can be inferred MANY different ways. As far as I'm concerned, you're wrong even before you log in to okctalk.com. I guarantee you, you're the only one here who will say I made an accusation. Pick up a Websters and look up the word "accusation". I don't expect you to admit your error, but you could certainly use the education.

Now, if you want to see what name calling looks like, check out the thread dedicated just for you in the Nose Bleed Section.

Misty
04-20-2007, 06:43 AM
When discussing this with a group the other day, one person made the comment that we have a lot of fruits and vegetables in the Legislature which really cracked us all up. Our new state vegetable is particularly delicious when filled with vodka.

aintaokie
04-20-2007, 07:12 AM
The Oklahoma state vegitable filed with Vodka? This is Oklahoma, so shouldn't that be Jack Daniels? BTW anyone know what the official state liquor is???

Karried
04-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill

jbrown84
04-20-2007, 08:48 AM
LOL Karrie!

So why is andy rushing to the defense of Fruity Mathis?

AFCM
04-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Are you calling Boone a Strawberry Hill and naming Mr. Daniels a liquor? Whoa, you don't want to go there.

Karried
04-20-2007, 11:29 AM
What exactly are you implying???

I'm not sure I like your implication that I'm implying.. lol

Karried
04-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Our new state vegetable is particularly delicious when filled with vodka.

You know, on second thought it's not a bad idea after all.. straw anyone?

JavaDaves
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
The Oklahoma state vegitable filed with Vodka? This is Oklahoma, so shouldn't that be Jack Daniels? BTW anyone know what the official state liquor is???

We don't have one and we don't need one.

Karried
04-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Actually, I'd say we do need one (or at least a stiff drink) after naming our state veggie a watermelon :Smiley233

JavaDaves
04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
This is the Bible belt. No state drink.

Karried
04-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Welcome to the board... as you can see, we like to have fun occasionally and we do have a Faith Forum that you might find interesting.

I see you're a brand new member. Tell us a little about yourself JavaDaves.....

Misty
04-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Perhaps the only way to really deal with this issue is to all get together and eat a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill filled watermelon vegtable.

AFCM
04-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Okay guys, NO MA'AM voted and we can have a state liquor, but you can only buy it inside a liquor store, and all the other crazy laws still apply.

As NO MA'AM says, so it shall be.

smacketyanne
04-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Why do people use "Oklahoma is in the Bible belt" as an excuse for opinions they do not like.
That's as silly as people in AZ saying "it might be 125 degrees but it's a DRY heat".

JavaDaves
04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Why do people use "Oklahoma is in the Bible belt" as an excuse for opinions they do not like.
That's as silly as people in AZ saying "it might be 125 degrees but it's a DRY heat".
Because both are true statements.

andy157
04-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Whats a Bible belt? And where can I pick one up?

andy157
04-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Maybe the new official State drink could be JavaDaves

aintaokie
04-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill

I rememeber Country Qwencher and Tickled Pink. Might not be liquor, but just as good.....oh yeah. Bring's back the '70s. Wonder how good those would taste in a watermellon?

dismayed
04-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Unfortunately, the Oklahoma Watermelon as a vegetable thing has been getting a lot of internet press today, and none of it has been positive. In fact it keeps showing up under "News of the weird" on most websites.

You know, my experience has been that almost all of Oklahoma's associated negative stereotypes have been transmitted to the world via our wonderful state legislators. Every time I travel I always get questions about something strange our legislature has done or said recently. I don't see how this helps our image.

mranderson
04-20-2007, 07:40 PM

Because both are true statements.

Heat is heat. Not only that, mentioning the bible belt is embarrasing. It makes every one of the nearly four million (more if you count the illegal aliens) people living in Oklahoma all look like holy rollers.

Why do they use it? Because it is the only excuse they have for things they do not want to change. (not reason, excuse)

Easy180
04-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately, the Oklahoma Watermelon as a vegetable thing has been getting a lot of internet press today, and none of it has been positive. In fact it keeps showing up under "News of the weird" on most websites.

You know, my experience has been that almost all of Oklahoma's associated negative stereotypes have been transmitted to the world via our wonderful state legislators. Every time I travel I always get questions about something strange our legislature has done or said recently. I don't see how this helps our image.

You are dead on dismayed..They are having some serious fun with this on the college football boards and the Sonics forums I'm on..Yet another thing to add to their perception of backwoods Oklahoma

Good lord we just do it to ourselves

jbrown84
04-23-2007, 02:00 PM
It's a Scandal: Oklahoma Declares Watermelon a Vegetable

Everywhere else it is considered a fruit, but in Oklahoma the watermelon has been officially declared a vegetable.

And not just any vegetable, Oklahoma's house of representatives yesterday voted to award the watermelon the honour of official state vegetable. The official state fruit is the strawberry.

A bill on the proposal was passed yesterday by 78 votes to 19.

A triumphant senator Don Barrington, who sponsored the bill, said after the vote: "The controversy on whether watermelon is a fruit or vegetable has been officially decided by the Oklahoma legislature."

He told Oklahoma's Lawton constitution before the vote that the watermelon was a fruit, "but it's also a vegetable because it's a member of the cucumber family".

The Republican, who in 1994 won a local contest for spitting watermelon seeds the farthest, said the state vegetable status would be a boost for his watermelon-growing Rush Springs constituency.

Asked whether people shared his conviction that the watermelon was a vegetable, he replied: "It depends on who you ask."

Others were not convinced. Senator Nancy Riley said her dictionary referred to the watermelon as a fruit.

"I guess it can be both," Mr Barrington conceded.

The Oklahoma governor, Brad Henry, must now decide whether to approve the bill.

I think it's just cheap shots really. I mean there is as much evidence for it being a fruit as for it being a vegetable. At least they quote another legislator disagreeing...

Karried
04-23-2007, 03:17 PM
The Oklahoma governor, Brad Henry, must now decide whether to approve the bill.

I'm writing the Governor today... I hope everyone does. Once again we are the laughing stock of the nation.

I simply cannot believe they are wasting time and money on this crap.

On our next thread ' what are you doing this weekend' .. I can see it now.. "I'll be at the Rooster Fights ( with the little rooster gloves of course), and after that I'm attending the Cow Patty throwing contest, where I can sit around on Saturday ( because we can't drink on Sunday) sipping Strawberry Hill out of our State vegetable - the freaking watermelon and spitting seeds for entertainment because there is absolutely nothing better to do in Oklahoma .. oh wait a minute.. I'm sure there's a rule against spitting. If there's not, I'm sure it will be on the next Legislative to-do list ...

I just can't believe it.

Karried
04-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Governor Brad Henry (http://www.governor.state.ok.us/message.php)

I sent him a message, begging, pleading, imploring him to not pass this bill.

I mean, actually, the damage has been done already.

The Republican, who in 1994 won a local contest for spitting watermelon seeds the farthest, said the state vegetable status would be a boost for his watermelon-growing Rush Springs constituency.

Insert bad word here. ... _____ ... !!!!!!

Seed spitting? heavy, heavy sigh.. I'm so discouraged.

kevinpate
04-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Be they fruit, or be they vegetable, tis not my place to whine.
All I know is our Rush Springs neighbors do grow some mighty fine
watermelons on their vines.

jpeaceokc
04-25-2007, 10:06 PM
I am really sure that the state vegetable of Oklahoma is a politician. I'm just not sure which one.

But anyway, I will provide some watermelon trivia. During the Civil War, people in the south boiled watermelons to make sugar. Ever since I read that, I've been tempted to try it to see how it turns out. You probably have to boil it for a long time, let it dry, and then crumble or grind it. My grandmother used to make watermelon rind pickles, and they were pretty good.

metro
04-26-2007, 08:25 AM
I would have voted for Ernest Istook.

I'll second that vote, that's the only way I'd vote for him.