View Full Version : South American restaurants

spasticnapjerk
04-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Hello - would anyone know about South American restaurants in the Metro Area? The only one I know of is Cafe Do Brasil in Midtown. Thanks a bunch.

metro
04-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Unusual post. Yeah there was Gaucho Grill on NW Expressway but it closed. There is a New World (Latin-Fusion) restaurant and an Argentenian restaurant opening up in Midtown as well just across from Cafe Do Brasil. I think there are several others in the metro that I can't think of at the moment.

Karried
04-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Unusual post.

Why?

Karried
04-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Does anyone know of one in Norman.. a South American restaurant?

Karried
04-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Maybe this one:

Tony Marbell's Cantina Web Site (http://yp.yahoo.com/rd?tuid=17182561&t=web&stx=8229007&ck=3643293432&u=http%3a//www.quantumleaphotlines.com/mainalt)

Address: 201 S Crawford Ave, Norman, OK 73069 Phone:(405) 329-8669

kevinpate
04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Tony's was not S. American fare, but a right fair Tex-Mex. Sadly, Tony's closed in late Dec. of 05 or in Jan of 06. To my knowledge, it has never reopened.

I'm not aware of a Gaucho type location in Norman, though I know a few folk who would like to see one.

dismayed
04-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Years ago there was a South American restaurant in Edmond, somewhere on 33rd I believe. I'm not sure if it is still there anymore, and unfortunately I don't remember the name. I believe their fare was Brazilian.

Which reminds me, is Cafe Do Brazil on Memorial Road still open?

metro
04-18-2007, 01:13 PM
no dismayed, Cafe Do Brasil moved to Midtown over a year ago. They are on 11th and Walker.

Dave Cook
06-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Gauchos closed??!! No!

Why is it unique dining experiences struggle in Indian territory?

ksearls
06-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Maybe a Central American place will do? There is a Guatemalan place on 16 and Classen where Cafe do Brasil used to be. Haven't been there, heard it is good.

tuck
06-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Maybe a Central American place will do? There is a Guatemalan place on 16 and Classen where Cafe do Brasil used to be. Haven't been there, heard it is good.

This place is great. We have breakfast there twice a month and I love it. If you go for breakfast, get #7. The family that owns it is wonderful.

metro
06-25-2007, 12:52 PM

I second what Kim said, also there is another Guatemalan place over on Rockwell and about NW 16th or so.

metro
06-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Gauchos closed??!! No!

location, location, location and owners not doing their homework and/or advertising. many think if they open in a certain area or open a certain type of restaurant it will be instant success. they fail to realize you must do your homework on the area and promote their establishment properly.

tuck
06-26-2007, 05:44 AM
location, location, location and owners not doing their homework and/or advertising. many think if they open in a certain area or open a certain type of restaurant it will be instant success. they fail to realize you must do your homework on the area and promote their establishment properly.

Metro, I totally agree. Too many people get into the restaurant biz thinking they will start making a ton of money. Most independent restaurant operators only clear @ 5%...chains are operating @ 20%.

flintysooner
06-26-2007, 06:04 AM
In my experience most who are beginning a new business, and this seems especially true of restaurant entrepreneurs, drastically underestimate their costs, time to reach break even, and debt load And they are overly optimistic about sales, efficiency and interest rates. All businesses look a lot different from the inside than the outside.

John
06-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Gauchos closed??!! No!

OKC was part of 'Oklahoma Territory', just fyi...

HOT ROD
07-12-2007, 11:54 PM
ksearls, tuck, metro, et al.

Great recommendations, BUT - where are the names and addresses of the restaurants?

I would LOVE to visit these S. American and C. American restaurants in the inner city - but I would need an address and preferably a name.

I think that is one great thing about forums like this, we can help spread the word/news about the cultural food offerings of Oklahoma City. This city has LOTS to offer - like was said, you just have to look for it.

Well, since Im an expat now - I need a name and address (since time is limited for me and other tourists/visitors when I come).

By the way - I went to 'Cafe do Brasil' in MidTown on my last visit to the city (Apr 2007) and WOW - we were IMPRESSED. It was like Brasil in the heart of MidTown Oklahoma City! I was expecting the Churrascaria (Brasil BBQ) style of place that we have been to in Vancouver Canada (Samba, which is great by the way) but this was a cafe (hence the name).

Cafe do Brasil was wonderful, my fiance said the chicken appetizer was the BEST she ever had (It was like fried chicken or buffalo sort of style), not to mention the rest of the wonderful courses we had.

We should develop a list of restaurants by cuisine/location, especially for the 'ethnic' or lesser known local eateries!!!

metro
07-13-2007, 09:19 AM
No problem HOT ROD. Also, OKC did have a Churrascaria for awhile, it was called Gauchos Grill on NW Expressway. It closed last year. My theory is it was a poor location. Hopefully we'll get another churrascaria soon.

CCOKC
07-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I agree about the location being the cause of its demise. I'm a vegetarian and I enjoyed it very much. They had a great selection of everything not just meat.

mecarr
07-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Hello - would anyone know about South American restaurants in the Metro Area? The only one I know of is Cafe Do Brasil in Midtown. Thanks a bunch.
My wife and I recently ate at El Portale Cafe Y Restaurant. It is a Guatamalan restaurant. It was spectacular. The food was very authentic and fresh. Definitely not your usual tex-mex meal. The staff was very friendly. The atmosphere was great too. There were lots of big posters of Guatamala on the walls. They were playing this really nice Latin American music...all this makes you feel like you are on vacation!

CCOKC
07-15-2007, 11:07 AM
I made my first trip to Cafe do Brasil on Friday night and it was indeed great. The waiter was very helpful to the three of us in our party in choosing our meal and the food was awesome. I will definitely be returning probably the next time I have out of town guests.

Rifleman2C
11-06-2007, 09:27 PM
I made my first trip to Cafe do Brasil on Friday night and it was indeed great. The waiter was very helpful to the three of us in our party in choosing our meal and the food was awesome. I will definitely be returning probably the next time I have out of town guests.

I made my first trip there this evening... absolutely fantastic food, very attentive service, and a fine atmosphere. Unfortunately for them, it was nowhere near crowded, but I suppose that can be expected on a Tuesday night.

lpecan
11-07-2007, 08:42 PM
El Salvador Restaurante is a diamond in the very rough out on 5th and Rockwell. Food is very good, but you'll have to get past its hideous exterior. I like the pupusas, and the tamales are fantastic. They are much better than a mexican tamale (in my opinion)

eataroundokc.com
11-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Good call on El Salvador, Ipecan. I was just about to post that. We have a whole article about it over on my blog. Click here for the article (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2007/el-salvador-restaurante-y-pupuseria/).