View Full Version : OKC needs a Hostel

jbrown84
04-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Here's a big city thing we don't ever talk about--hostels.

We have put a lot of effort into new hotels downtown, but we need a hostel or two for low-budget travelers.

We may not be a huge draw for long-term hostelers, but being the interstate hub that we are, surely we would be a good location for people on cross-country trips.

I think Midtown would be perfect for couple hostels.

okclee
04-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I think that we have "hostels" all over okc. They may not use the name "hostel" , but they are there.

I am saying that in my opinion we have many, many, low budget places for travelers to stay.

Spartan
04-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Does the Habana Inn count?

They could have the sequel to Hostel right there...

jbrown84
04-17-2007, 08:13 AM
I searched several hostel sites and googled "oklahoma hostel" and came up with NO HOSTELS in Oklahoma.

I'm not just talking about cheap motels. Hostels are a completely different thing.

BailJumper
04-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Hostels? Certainly not on my top 100 things we need in OKC. There are dozens of hotels for $30 and some even have clean sheets. Is a cheap hotel a 'hostel experience?' No. Do I care? No, as it does serve the same purpose though.

Pete
04-17-2007, 08:37 AM
I think it's a great idea.

Usually, hostels are near the middle of town and attractions and are marketed to young people traveling their way across the country.

It could help to bring a younger vibe to downtown and also introduce OKC to people that might not otherwise stop there.

And one of the main features of a hostel is the comaraderie of fellow travelers, with shared spaces, usually a common kitchen and lots of shared information about things to do and see.

Lots of Europeans rent (or even buy used) cars and drive all over the U.S. in the same way Americans buy a Eurail pass. It would be nice to give them more a reason to spend some time in OKC.

jbrown84
04-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Hostels? Certainly not on my top 100 things we need in OKC. There are dozens of hotels for $30 and some even have clean sheets. Is a cheap hotel a 'hostel experience?' No. Do I care? No, as it does serve the same purpose though.

Well some people care. Maybe if you had done any traveling as a college student you would understand the kind of experience you get at a hostel.

Malibu hit the nail on the head.

floater
04-17-2007, 09:09 AM
A hostel would be a nice way to re-orient teens worldwide to Oklahoma City. Having it on the upper floors of one of the Bricktown warehouses would be cool. Before it was torn down, the downtown YMCA would have made a terrific hostel. It even had that International style going for it :)

A hostel could provide tours and attraction information for guests and non-guests and bring some youthful energy to whatever neighborhood it's in. But a trolley/bus stop nearby would be critical to making it work.

Pete
04-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Even though I didn't start using them until I was in my 30's, I've had some of my best traveling experiences at hostels.

I back-packed through Europe a couple of different times and would specifically seek out areas with hostels because it was a way to connect with other travelers. Usually, you'd meet a whole group that had just come from the direction you were heading, and you'd exchange stories and recommendations that were invaluable.

Europeans, Canadians, and Aussies are huge travelers and many stay exclusively at hostels. It would be pretty inexpensive to set one up and promote it. Sounds like another great business opportunity. :)

okclee
04-17-2007, 09:41 AM
I saw this on Cnn a few weeks ago.........

CouchSurfing (http://www.couchsurfing.com/)

It has nearly 200,000 members worldwide, you can stay anywhere in the world for free.

BailJumper
04-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Well some people care. Maybe if you had done any traveling as a college student you would understand the kind of experience you get at a hostel.

Actually I travelled pretty extensively in my youth and still do today.

My first overseas trip was in high school (Spanish summer field trip).

I never used hostels though as i was either with a larger group of students or was able to find many rooms for rent overnight in Europe.

NE Oasis
04-17-2007, 11:04 AM
It could help to bring a younger vibe to downtown and also introduce OKC to people that might not otherwise stop there.

And one of the main features of a hostel is the comaraderie of fellow travelers, with shared spaces, usually a common kitchen and lots of shared information about things to do and see.

The ones I visted in Europe usually had a shared bathroom too. The hostel experience is oh so different from collapsing in a cheap motel for a few hours before hitting the road. Downtown, the Paseo District, and the Adventure District (once the commuter train starts operation) could benefit greatly, and the Chamber of Commerce would not have to spend a dime.

smacketyanne
04-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I have thought about this many times. I think it's a great idea!

writerranger
04-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Even though I didn't start using them until I was in my 30's, I've had some of my best traveling experiences at hostels.

I back-packed through Europe a couple of different times and would specifically seek out areas with hostels because it was a way to connect with other travelers. Usually, you'd meet a whole group that had just come from the direction you were heading, and you'd exchange stories and recommendations that were invaluable.

Europeans, Canadians, and Aussies are huge travelers and many stay exclusively at hostels. It would be pretty inexpensive to set one up and promote it. Sounds like another great business opportunity. :)

Not too far from where you are, I stayed at hostels in San Diego (Pacific Beach) once upon a time. The Banana Bungalow - quite a place!

I agree that a well-advertised (on the web) hostel would be pretty successful for cross-country backpackers and others. It's a whole different experience, especially getting to know the people in the common areas.

Ahhh....memories.

------------------------

JavaDaves
04-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Personal I think Hotel Marion or some of the other smaller older hotels downtown would make great hostels.

jbrown84
04-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Personal I think Hotel Marion or some of the other smaller older hotels downtown would make great hostels.

I agree. They don't have to be large at all.

JavaDaves
04-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Of the many I've been to in New York City, it's actually quite the opposite. Most hostels are smaller.

writerranger
04-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I agree. They don't have to be large at all.

That's true. I mentioned Banana Bungalow in San Diego in a post above, but San Diego also has some small hostels as well. San Francisco has tons of them and some are very, very small. In fact, one was once run from the basement area of a hotel, with its own entrance. I don't know if it's still there or not, but there's a bunch of smallish hostels in San Francisco.

-

jbrown84
04-19-2007, 12:40 PM
We stayed in an apartment last month in NYC that was rented by a hostel. The actual hostel, where we checked in, was a little 3 or 4 story brownstone no bigger than one unit of Maywood Park.

metro
01-19-2009, 03:37 PM
After visiting SoCal last week, both in a 4 star hotel and in a hostel, it reminded me how we need at least one hostel in our city, preferably downtown or MidTown/Uptown. It brings such a diverse international youth culture to the scene you just can't get otherwise. I think OKC can really benefit from opening one and would help on our international exposure scene and help "put us on the map." Heck, the Chamber would be better off spending their money supporting a local hostel than some of the things they do. Any ideas on how we can legitimately get one off the ground?

ddavidson8
01-19-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know, I really doubt I could chop up innocent teenagers.

trison
01-19-2009, 06:12 PM
The Cline Hotel in Midtown might work as a hostel. It use to have 2 common bathrooms on each floor with a common kitchen on the ground floor. I think it had about nine rooms on each floor. Not sure how it is set up now. One concern I would have of putting one in Midtown or near Downtown is if it wasn't carefully managed it would be just a matter of time before it became a flop house for those looking for weekly rent and no bills.

Kerry
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Yep, that is what we need - a place to attract people that can't afford a place to stay.

Dr. Buddy Rydell: In Europe, it's not considered unusual for three of four men to share a bed.
Dave Buznik: That's why I'm proud to be an American.

CuatrodeMayo
01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
It brings such a diverse international youth culture to the scene you just can't get otherwise. I think OKC can really benefit from opening one and would help on our international exposure scene and help "put us on the map." Heck, the Chamber would be better off spending their money supporting a local hostel than some of the things they do.

^^That^^

John
01-20-2009, 12:28 AM
One concern I would have of putting one in Midtown or near Downtown is if it wasn't carefully managed it would be just a matter of time before it became a flop house for those looking for weekly rent and no bills.

One way to partly take care of that would be nobody could stay there with an Oklahoma DL/ID.

Dave Cook
01-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Hmmm....something tells me this isn't a great idea. This is Oklahoma City.....not Santa Fe or Maui. Too many cheap hotels in the metro to make it worth your while.

I stayed at a hostel in San Jose, Costa Rica - very nice place - last year and was the only guest the entire five nights I was there. They were hurting. And this is Costa Rica.

If it's such a groovy idea, why don't one of you cats open one.

Kerry
01-20-2009, 07:49 AM
One way to partly take care of that would be nobody could stay there with an Oklahoma DL/ID.

Can you say housing descrimination lawsuit. Plus, how would you know they had an Oklahoma id if they never showed it to you?

Just how many Europeans are hiking through OKC anyhow. Except for homeless people and drug addicts this place would be empty 99% of the time.

metro
01-20-2009, 07:50 AM
SweetNSour, again, most hostelers/international travelers aren't looking for a "cheap motel", but the experience of a hostel. I've talked to/met many people in just the last week that would like to visit OKC if we had a hostel, let alone talked to tons of people on CouchSurfing.com who would love to visit if we had a more welcoming community. The fact is not in our location so much as it is our invititation or lack thereof. Most US hostels are on the coasts because they have great transportation systems. Most international travelers skip most of fly over country because lack of hostels and mass transit systems. We're a good middle of the country stop on major highways, so if we had a hostel, I'm willing to bet we'd catch a lot of these international travelers on a tight budget much more easy than we would with "cheap motels." As Pete mentioned earlier, most of the appeal is the comaraderie with like minded travelers and getting tips on local hangouts and meeting up in groups and exploring, going on cheap tours, etc. This is something I don't see the local motel 6 providing, despite how cheap it may be.

Jesseda
01-20-2009, 08:55 AM
no hostels for me after i watched tht movie no thanks.

SouthsideSooner
01-20-2009, 09:04 AM
There just doesn't seem to be much demand for something like this but that couchsurfing website is interesting. Maybe some of you guys who feel like this is something our city is lacking could sign up for that so that we can get a feel for what kind of demand might exist...

metro
01-20-2009, 10:43 AM
There just doesn't seem to be much demand for something like this but that couchsurfing website is interesting. Maybe some of you guys who feel like this is something our city is lacking could sign up for that so that we can get a feel for what kind of demand might exist...

Several of us are members and use it. My statements above were also based upon couchsurfing.com demands as stated above. I think all you naysayers would be surprised with what a hostel could do for our city. Would there be slow periods, absolutely, but I think the demand would be worth opening one up and would be interested in helping one get off the ground here.

so1rfan
01-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Can you say housing descrimination lawsuit. Plus, how would you know they had an Oklahoma id if they never showed it to you?

Just how many Europeans are hiking through OKC anyhow. Except for homeless people and drug addicts this place would be empty 99% of the time.

A business has the right to refuse service to anyone.

In some seedy areas of Dallas I'm pretty sure that local residents cannot rent rooms at certain hotels to discourage prostitution.

Personally, I would rather invest my money in something that would attract people WITH money.

John
01-20-2009, 03:54 PM

There is a hostel in Miami Beach who had that policy. And a hostel isn't 'housing'.

Most hotels (and hostels, I would assume) ask for a form of ID along with a CC.

Dave Cook
01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
metro....

I applaud your efforts but just don't see this ever working.

I've stayed at a lot of hostels in the last ten years (Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne, Lugano, Berlin, Paris, Rome, London, Positano, Prague, Kobe, SJ Costa Rica, Granada, Nicaragua, etc, etc) and noticed they were ALL in highly traveled and slightly expensive areas.

True, hostels are about the networking and exchanging of travel info but how many German kids are swinging through Edmond?

Couchsurfing was created partly out of need to provide beds in places like Omaha, Fort Wayne, Winnipeg and Tulsa.......areas that can't support hostels.

Kerry
01-20-2009, 05:50 PM
OK - you guys win. In the spirit of hope and change I encourage someone to open a hostel and see if it works. You never know until you try.

How does this hostel thing work anyhow. Is it basically a room full of bunkbeds that cost like $6 per night?

bluedogok
01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
You'd be surprised at the number of people traveling through on extended vacations or "breaks" as Pete stated many rent cars and drive through the country. I have known several who did that in the US just like many Americans have done that type of travel in Europe by rail or car. One of my former co-workers in OKC is a native of Rome and spent a few years traveling around the US before "joining the real world". He is someone who lived in NYC, LA, Yokohama and is now lives in the OKC area, his wife is a Clinton native.

You never know what that kind of travel will attract, look at how many Europeans come through Oklahoma because of Route 66. I think it would be a good thing.

blangtang
01-20-2009, 11:24 PM
wow some people fear new ideas with out even understanding the concept!

Hostelling International (http://www.hihostels.com/)

United States Hostels to Reserve Online (http://www.hiusa.org/usa-hostels/index.shtml)

the whole mid section is an opportunity for establishing a hostel

as for the comment that you're looking for visitors with $$, hmm.

as for the comment that you're looking for culture, hmm.

Dave Cook
01-21-2009, 04:05 AM
So...there are no hostels in the middle of the USA? Hmmm. That's weird. I mean, so many European, Aussie and Japanese kids rank us right up there with Phuket and Goa in terms of 'must see' places during their off year.

If you build it, maybe they will come.

southernskye
01-21-2009, 04:58 AM
http://www.hostels.com/

http://www.hostelusa.com/

CuatrodeMayo
01-21-2009, 07:37 AM
So...there are no hostels in the middle of the USA? Hmmm. That's weird. I mean, so many European, Aussie and Japanese kids rank us right up there with Phuket and Goa in terms of 'must see' places during their off year.

I love your name-dropping.

metro
01-21-2009, 07:47 AM

I believe it is one of those you build it and they will come. Heck, Austin,TX has one, Ohio has some and a few other flyover cities have them. We're not talking about Edmond, OK to the poster above, but putting one in downtown OKC (where there are plenty of walkable attractions to see). Heck, the National Memorial comes to mind of all kinds of international visitors that come here. Edmond would ironically probably be able to support one too by the university since it has a very large international student population. Alas, unless someone is willing to financially back one (don't have the money sorry) then I suppose we'll have to settle for couchsurfing in OKC.

hoya
01-22-2009, 02:29 PM
A business has the right to refuse service to anyone.

Hotels and motels don't. They're governed by federal law.

so1rfan
01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Hotels and motels don't. They're governed by federal law.

A hotel can refuse to deny accomodations if they reasonably believe a person is unable or unwilling to pay, plan to use the room or premises for an unlawful purpose; or plan to bring a potentially dangerous object onto the premises.

Also if you could prove that having locals stay creates a nusiance (drunk underage kids), you could set a policy based on that, so long as you enforced it without discrimination.

Dave Cook
01-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Underage kids don't need a lick of alcohol to be a nuisance.

Anyone that has been stuck in a room full of German high school kids will tell you how hard it is to get an hour of sleep.

Kerry
01-22-2009, 06:13 PM
It seems the hostel in Portland charges $17 per night. If two people are traveling together they can get a hotel room in OKC for that price.

bluedogok
01-22-2009, 07:17 PM
It seems the hostel in Portland charges $17 per night. If two people are traveling together they can get a hotel room in OKC for that price.
Many who stay in hostels are staying at a hostel for the experience, some have almost a "dorm like" feel and some people really enjoy that and getting to meet other travelers. Most are not going to stay in a hotel even if the price is cheaper because it doesn't come with the same experience. If you are a "private" person the hostel experience is probably not what you would be looking for.

metro
01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Kerry, again what bluedogok says, hostels aren't just about cheap, but about the experience. A couple Japanese or German college kids don't want a cheap fly by night or Motel 6 hotel room in Bethany or S. OKC. They want something in the heart of the action AKA downtown, Bricktown or MidTown where they can easily walk to many attractions and get around.

Matt
01-22-2009, 08:03 PM
You never know what that kind of travel will attract, look at how many Europeans come through Oklahoma because of Route 66. I think it would be a good thing.

I think Paul McCartney would have extended his stay here by a day or two if he had a hostel to stay in.

Dave Cook
01-22-2009, 10:34 PM
I've never understood the desire of some hardcore packers to wanna sleep in a dorm room. Maybe showing my age here.

I traveled with this guy last year in Nicaragua that wanted to stay in a dorm room in Granada because it was $3 vs. the $6 for the two beds single.

Some dodgy and cheap cats sleeping in the dorms.

Kerry
01-22-2009, 11:14 PM
If someone wants to sleep in an open dorm environment more power to them. I am only saying it isnt for me and I don't think a hostel in OKC would be a success, by any standard. If someone with the resources does think it is a viable enterprise I encourage them to give it a shot.

OKCMallen
01-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I think it's a great idea. How can anyone think it's a BAD idea? Man, naysayers! People jsut like to be contrary sometimes, I suppose.

metro
01-23-2009, 11:35 AM
well said OKCMallen, I think it goes back to "resting on our laurels."