View Full Version : Bricktown Featured on HGTV

writerranger
04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
My wife was just watching "OffBeat America" on HGTV and they featured the coolest loft - in Bricktown! It is owned by a blues-loving/playing orthodontist and the entire interior is BLUE! It was really a nice segment that showed Bricktown living at its best. He lives in the Oklahoma Hardware Building at 29 E. California. In fact, he also co-owns the building. His loft/home is huge!
Bricktown Blues Pad (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_hoba/episode/0,2496,HGTV_22456_45785,00.html)

I found a neat article from the Shawnee paper. It's in the Google cache at:
Doc Blue Article (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:W-8yOEql01QJ:www.news-star.com/stories/062306/ent_20060623044.shtml+hickman+orthodontist+brickto wn&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us)
(Otherwise you have to sign-up.)

He also owns the Biting Sow Blues Club at 1 E. California. Anybody ever been there?

Surely the show will re-air at some point. Nice segment.

---------------------

okclee
04-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I have been to the Biting Sow a few times and really enjoyed the atmosphere with the live music, very cool place. It is kind of a hidden spot in Bricktown and I believe one of the original bars in Bricktown as well.

writerranger
04-16-2007, 10:45 PM
I never knew the club was there....I think I will plan a visit soon. I wish everyone here could have seen his loft. It was nice to see a bricktown spot picked for a segment on HGTV. It showed it in a very positive light. The guys all-blue interior sounds weird, but it worked!

----------------------

okclee
04-16-2007, 10:52 PM
I have heard rumors of a few lofts that are in Bricktown and have been there since the very beginning. It is always good to see positive on Okc.

As far as the bar goes, it is kind of a hole in the wall type of place. You will see all types in there (bikers, suits, young, and old), which is something that I liked about the place.

BDP
04-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah, he (or maybe it was more his wife) was the one who was so vocal against the Flaming Lips getting an alley named after them.

CuatrodeMayo
04-17-2007, 12:02 PM
It was a Rand Elliott project.

Elliott + Associates Architects (http://e-a-a.com/reside/doc.html)

Okalahoma City?

jbrown84
04-17-2007, 12:22 PM
ranger, did they show much of Btown or just the inside of the loft mostly?

metro
04-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah I saw this episode a few months back. Doc Blue has lived their quite some time actually. His old partner (which name escapes me, but you could go to the thread on the block that was purchased by Moore {former Factory property}) and he both co-owned the Oklahoma Hardware and another building. After their bitter split a year or so ago, that freed his partner to go in on the project across the street. Anyhow, yeah it was good coverage for downtown OKC nonetheless, I think Downtown OKC magazine did a spread on him last year as well.

writerranger
04-17-2007, 01:56 PM
ranger, did they show much of Btown or just the inside of the loft mostly?

Just a few quick shots of Bricktown, the canal, signage, that kind of thing and then the camera panned up to Doc Blue's loft. But it made it look like a very vibrant area. Nice.

--------------------------------