View Full Version : Where have all the plumbers gone?

Lauri101
04-15-2007, 03:18 PM
We are now in our 20th hour of no water and the earliest a plumber can get here is tomorrow at noon. I spent the better part of this morning and early afternoon calling plumbers, with no luck.

Our conclusion - there aren't enough plumbers who work all hours, weekends, etc and those who do are swamped with work. Since plumbers seem to make pretty good money (this job will probably run $600-800), why aren't more people working as plumbers? Or electricians? Or "handymen"? Is the work too hard? Training not available?

Thoughts?

Watson410
04-15-2007, 03:56 PM
What exactly is your problem? Why is your water off?

windowphobe
04-15-2007, 04:13 PM
One need not have a college degree to be a plumber; therefore, by the perverse criteria of contemporary culture, it is not a position worth pursuing. (Which is why we're awash in art historians and we can't find people to fix our damn cars.)

Kerry
04-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks to Lowes, the internet and the DIY Network - most people do their own plumbing now. The last time I called plumber they wanted $480 for what ended up costing me $3.25 in plastic parts at Lowes. He still charged my $70 to tell me what I already knew.

Lauri101
04-15-2007, 05:59 PM
What exactly is your problem? Why is your water off?

Our main water line broke last night. I think it just aged out on us - the line is probably OED from about 50 years ago. One of the hazards of dealing with an old house.

Windowphobe - you're right on target, I think. Maybe an art historian could find me a picture of an intact water line.

I wish we could do it ourselves, but this is way more than either of us can handle. I've changed toilet parts and faucets, but a main line? 'Taint happening.

Watson410
04-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah a main water line is a lil' more work than changing toilet parts. It would be very difficult to find any plumbing company that would do that kind of job on the weekend. Even if you did find a company to do it they would probably charge you out the butt. Depending on how long the line is and what kind of obstacles are between the house and city meter your probably going to be paying between $700-$900. Some companies may try to charge you more... so i would definitly get a few estimates. Do you already have a plumber in mind?

Kerry
04-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Here you go

HOME IMPROVEMENT : Pipes & Fittings : Fixing a Leaking Pipe : DIY Network (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pl_pipes_fittings/article/0,2037,DIY_14190_2268542,00.html)

dirtrider73068
04-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Our main water line broke last night. I think it just aged out on us - the line is probably OED from about 50 years ago. One of the hazards of dealing with an old house.

Windowphobe - you're right on target, I think. Maybe an art historian could find me a picture of an intact water line.

I wish we could do it ourselves, but this is way more than either of us can handle. I've changed toilet parts and faucets, but a main line? 'Taint happening.

If its before the meter the city has to fix it, if after the meter you will have to, it shouldn't be that hard pending on the type of pipe they used when it was first installed, if it was 50 years ago they didn't have codes to go by when building houses. If there was a set standard they may have used a cast iron pipe, but doubt it due to it rusting and contaminating the water, it could be pvc, if thats the case thats a easy fix, just need the parts to replace where it broke. Or could have used copper pipes all the way up but don't know if they did or not. MOst jobs like this can be done by homeowners if they have a basic knowledge of handy man things, I am that type of person can fix anything thats broke if I have the stuff laying around to do it.

Kerry
04-17-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm like you dirtrider. I try to fix everything myself first. If I break it more, so what, it was already broken and I am out $20 or less. If I actually fix it then I save big money. Built my own screen patio at our home in Jacskonville. Lowest bid was $5,000. I did it myself over 3 weekends for $750. The first part looked like crap after I was done so I did that part again. Looks professional now plus I get to keep the tools I bought to do the work.

You should try to do it yourself - whats the worst that can happen? Don't cover the hole when you are done and for a week or so, turn the water off at the meter when you are not home. That way you will be at home if something does go wrong.

Lauri101
04-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I appreciate your comments and suggestions. We were able to get a plumber out and now have water. The cost wasn't near as bad as I feared - about $200.

I wish I was young and agile so that I could crawl under a house, but I can't do it anymore. The S.O. is 70 with a heart condition, so, unfortunately, we now have to pay someone to do what one of us could have done 10 - 15 years ago!

Kerry
04-17-2007, 04:11 PM
$200 isn't bad. Glad you could get it done for a reasonable price.

CMSturgeon
04-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Just to throw it out there, I have 3 plumbers in my family so the next time anyone is in need just ask me. And, Blackmon Mooring is on call 24 hours in case you didnt know. Brandons Plumbing also does a lot of work, Some members of my family work there.

windowphobe
04-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Never dealt with Blackmon Mooring for plumbing issues, but they've done good HVAC work for me in the past.

Lauri101
04-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Just to throw it out there, I have 3 plumbers in my family so the next time anyone is in need just ask me. And, Blackmon Mooring is on call 24 hours in case you didnt know. Brandons Plumbing also does a lot of work, Some members of my family work there.

Good to know! Wish I had known Sunday morning - that's probably the one I didn't call