View Full Version : NBA Go Vote

Karried
04-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Poll on who should get the next team.. go vote.. lower Right hand side at the bottom:

We're doing okay but Kansas has us beat.. go vote!

ESPN.com: NBA Index (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index)

Intrepid
04-15-2007, 08:14 AM
UPDATE:

At the time of this post, Las Vegas was ahead with 48%, then OKC with 23%, then KC with 16% and London was last with 12%.

dcsooner
04-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Can't find the poll, must have been removed

Karried
04-15-2007, 10:10 AM
It's on the Far Right at the bottom.. below the latest podcasts...

Go Vote everyone.. people do read these polls.. hopefully Stern does too.

jbrown84
04-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I thought we'd do better than this. We are only winning in Oklahoma and Arkansas. No love from Nebraska--we're 3rd place. I guess Omaha's jealous.

CCOKC
04-15-2007, 03:15 PM
It's pretty interesting to see the Louisiana resuluts. We're almost tied with Las Vegas there

dcsooner
04-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Expansion says Las Vegas and Oklahoma City and I believe that is exactly what will happen

Millie
04-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Forgive my ignorance- I don't follow sports too closely.

What's the timeline for expansion? Is the NBA looking to add teams in the next 5 years or so?

Watson410
04-15-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure what the timeline is..... Hopefully less than 5 years. It would definitly be a toss up between OKC and Las Vegas IMO. Maybe stern should give us both a team.. Put Las Vegas in the western conference and OKC in the eastern conference. Once Clay Bennett gets the new arena built in Seattle, he could sell the team for much more than 350 million... come back home and build a team from scratch.

mranderson
04-15-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure what the timeline is..... Hopefully less than 5 years. It would definitly be a toss up between OKC and Las Vegas IMO. Maybe stern should give us both a team.. Put Las Vegas in the western conference and OKC in the eastern conference. Once Clay Bennett gets the new arena built in Seattle, he could sell the team for much more than 350 million... come back home and build a team from scratch.

I do not see Las Vegas with any major league team other than AFL in the forseeable future. The leagues are hesitant because of the gaming laws. The money would be on Oklahoma City for the next NBA franchise, be it relocation (most likely) or expansion.

Intrepid
04-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Stern has said in the past that he doesn't see the league expanding beyond the number of teams it currently has and therefore the most viable opportunity will come in the form of relocation. Granted, all of that can change when $$$ are involved.

Personally, I'd hate to see the NBA, or any of the major leagues, expand beyond their current numbers. But again, it seems to be more about $$$ these days rather than the love of the game.

mranderson
04-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Stern has said in the past that he doesn't see the league expanding beyond the number of teams it currently has and therefore the most viable opportunity will come in the form of relocation. Granted, all of that can change when $$$ are involved.

Personally, I'd hate to see the NBA, or any of the major leagues, expand beyond their current numbers. But again, it seems to be more about $$$ these days rather than the love of the game.

League commisioners have said that before and what did the public get? Three are the Charlotte Bobcats, the Houston Texans, and the Cleveland Browns. Typical say one thing and do another. Mark my words which are usually on target... If the Sonics do not relocate here or a trade deal made with the Hornets, I bet within a couple of years we get special expansion.

HOT ROD
04-15-2007, 10:46 PM
It is nice to see that OKC is number 2 in most states but is surprising that OKC is not as high in MO or NB. Like was said, I suppose those in OMAHA are jealous of OKC - which will get a franchise regardless of what order this poll has it in.

I predict the HORNETS will relocate to Las Vegas and the SONICS WILL relocate to Oklahoma City. I suspect those who voted either did not realize that the SONICS are owned by OKC or are jealous that this is the case.

Nevertheless, we do need to get any OKC people regardless of where they live - to vote. It is impressive and interesting that OKC was number 2 in LA and WA, meaning that both markets do recognize OKC's potential but think Las Vegas might better support due to it being an entertainment capital.

I dont see anything wrong with that, as it might be true. But one thing's for sure, OKC definitely is on the top of getting a new team - most likely, the SONICS.

HOT ROD
04-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Another point, notice the name of the poll -

"Which City will be the BEST Home for a Relocated or Expansion NBA franchise."

It thinks Vegas is the best with OKC number 2.

The poll IS NOT stated, "Which city will be the NEXT Home for a Relocated or Expansion NBA franchise." I bet if this were the poll, OKC would be the number 1 choice.

Its always nice to refer back to the title of the poll to determine what is really being said by the poll. In this one, its not that OKC is not next in line to get an NBA team by relocation or expansion - its instead saying OKC would be the second best location for a team but that Vegas would be the best.

Maybe, ESPN will post the correct poll next time; which City is next in line for an NBA team via relocation or expansion. I bet OKC tops that poll, Vegas number two - a flip of the current poll; with even Nebraska and Missouri voting for OKC as first.

metro
04-17-2007, 10:01 AM

Not sure where you've been but Seattle isn't going to build a new arena. Read yesterday's press release. Sonics will move within 2 years, probably sooner. Hornets won't last in New Orleans. I too agree Las Vegas would be the top spot for an expansion franchise, just because of all the tourist traffic (although season ticket holders might be lower), however Stern has said publically he won't even consider Las Vegas until they get the NBA off the gaming books. Las Vegas says it won't take it off. I imagine they'll have a franchise within 10 years, but not right now.

HOT ROD
04-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I agree that Vegas is a great place to have a finals or all star weekend, but I dont think it is great place to have a permanent team. Vegas is way too transient and relatively poor to be able to fill an arena regularly with any confidence.

Sure, they will sell out the cheap seats - but Im not sure the boxes and suites will be such a regular hit. OKC has a much more stable population with a larger market when you consider our region.