View Full Version : Al Gore Outed as a Hypocrit

BailJumper
04-14-2007, 07:43 PM
You gotta love it!

The biggest inconvenient truth is that Al Gore's home uses 12x more energy than the average American's home. Bush on the other hand lives in a very Earth Friendly dwelling.

Link to Snopes Article (http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/gorehome.asp)(but there are many other articles out there.

dismayed
04-14-2007, 10:15 PM
This has already been talked about in another thread. His house does use a lot of energy. But some of the mitigating factors include the fact that he is paying a very large premium for his energy because much of it he buys from windmill farms and other green power sources. He also purchases "carbon offsets" from a company that sells a carbon neutral lifestyle. The basic idea is you reduce your energy consumption as much as you can, but past that point you basically buy carbon offsets, kind of like donating to a charity that takes your money and invests it back into the environment through research, forestation, etc. Gores carbon offset is actually zero when you take this into account. Some feel this is "cheating," others feel this is fine. Gore actually talks about his family purchasing carbon offsets and what that means in his movie.

Maybe he's a hypocrite, maybe he isn't. It doesn't really change the message.

BailJumper
04-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Damn - i did a topic search. Guess I didn't look close enough.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-14-2007, 11:02 PM
I will agree we need to take care of our planet. We need to our best to conserve our resources and find cleaner ways to do the things we do everyday.

I disagree with acting like chicken little and behaving in such a manner as if we will all die in ten years if we do not save the planet. Going into panic mode is never the answer when it comes to solving any problem.

On the other hand for all we know ten or twenty years from now the sun could explode or the earth could stop turning without warning and we would all be dead in just a few hours if not days.