View Full Version : Name change to Myriad Gardens

Patrick
07-20-2004, 10:45 PM
I pesonally feel that it's time we change the name of the Myriad Gardens. Te name "Myriad" Gardens was fine when it was next to the "Myriad" Convention Center, but the name just seems to feel out of place now with the name change to the nearby convention center.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on name changes?

I guess you could go with something less creative like "Oklahoma City Botanical Gardens" but I think we can do better than that. floater, what do you think?

I suggested a name change to my council woman, Amy Brooks, a fw years back, and she was against the idea. Not sure what the current council thinks, or whether they've even considered the idea of changing the name. If we come up with some names, I'll contact my councilman, Sam Bowman, and tell him what we come up with.

floater
07-21-2004, 06:13 AM
I do think Oklahoma City Botanical Gardens would be a dry name. I would stick with Myriad if only because of history. The gardens (and convention center) were one of the only fruits of Urban Renewal. Now that the convention center has changed its name, I feel less inclined to change it. It's such a unique word, myriad. People ask what it means.

For alternate names, I kind of like the Oklahoma Botanical Gardens to lend it a state feel. After all, the four quads of the grounds represent the flora of the four quads of the state.

mranderson
07-21-2004, 06:33 AM
I have said for years that we need to honor the first women ever elected mayor of a major city in this country... Oklahoma City's first and only female mayor... Patience Latting.

Patience Latting Botanical Gardens.

Patrick
07-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Hmmmm. That would be an interesting name! Patience!!!! :)

Yeah, maybe we should just stick with Myriad Botanical Gardens, at least for now! I had thought about maybe Cox Botanical Gardens to go along with the convention center, but we're getting too many corporate names on public facilities as it is. Besides, Cox sounds too close to Coles!

Anyways, I guess the "Myriad" name still applies because there are a myriad of gardens there. In a way, I still wish our convention center had the Myriad name on it. I always thought that name was unique and it represented our convention facility well......afterall, you can have a myriad of different events there!