View Full Version : Brewer Made $286,549 on Just One Parking Lot Owned By City

Pages : [1] 2

bricktownlife
04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
City didn't get all its share for parking
March 25, 2007
By John Estus
Staff Writer

A development company that has a deal with Oklahoma City to operate a parking lot near the Ford Center has made nearly $300,000 parking cars since late 2004, but failed to share about $44,500 of the income with the city until The Oklahoman asked about the missing payments.

City officials accepted blame.
"The buck stops with me,” city special projects manager Tom Anderson said. "It's an obligation I owe the citizens and my superiors. I failed in this case.”
Bricktown Real Estate LLC paid the $44,513 tab this month after The Oklahoman asked city officials about the outstanding debt.
The city owns the lot and has leased it to the company since 1999 — before the Ford Center opened. It's now a popular parking spot for Ford Center, Cox Convention Center and Bricktown patrons.

Paying dividends
The lease was renewed in 2004 with an added requirement that the company share 35 percent of parking revenues with the city.
According to the lease, the company is to pay the city:
•$2,000 a month to rent the portion of the lot north of Interstate 40 near the rail depot.
•35 percent of gross parking income minus rent and sales tax for the portion of the lot north of I-40, paid annually.
•$1,200 a month for the portion south of the interstate, beginning in February 2005.
But the company never paid, nor was asked to pay, the percentage of income made from the 110-space lot north of I-40 or the rent for the south lot.
"That was where I fell short,” Anderson said. "We've identified a problem, and we're trying to work it out.”
Bricktown Real Estate owner Jim Brewer said city officials told him that paying to rent the south lot wouldn't be necessary until the city learned how the I-40 realignment project would affect it. He said Anderson also told him not to worry about the income share payments, either.
"He (Anderson) just said hold off until we find out,” Brewer said. "We didn't think it would be very long.”
A boulevard is to replace the existing I-40 once it is moved south in 2012. A portion of E.K. Gaylord Boulevard eventually will have to be reconfigured to accommodate the new boulevard. That could affect the portion of the lot south of the interstate.
As a result, the lot hasn't been approved by the city for parking use as was planned when the lease was signed, which is why the company hasn't been asked to pay rent for it, Anderson said.
Still, Brewer said his company has occasionally charged people to park in the south lot during large events.
"It's not been approved by the city for parking. It's going to have to be brought up to code and improved by the city for parking,” Anderson said.
Brewer said money made from parking cars in the south lot was included in the total income amount listed in a report he delivered to the city this month.
The report says the company made $286,549 parking cars on the lots from November 2004 until February. An independent auditor will confirm that amount in the next three months, Anderson said.
The city has no record of how much money the company made off the lots from 1999 until the lease was renewed in 2004 because the original lease didn't require Bricktown Real Estate to provide that information.
Brewer said about $100,000 in improvements were made to the lot after council members approved the lease in 1999. Brewer said it was "just a mud lot” then.

Proposal questioned
The 1999 lease required the company to make those improvements, and also created a stir at City Hall when some council members questioned whether it was a better business decision to have the city operate the lot.
"It was public property where a private individual would benefit,” said Ward 6 Councilwoman Ann Simank, who voted against renting out the lot in 1999.
Bricktown Real Estate received the contract without a competitive bidding process, and Simank said city officials need to do a better job of honoring the contract.
"The city has a fiscal responsibility to enforce all contracts and leases with anybody when it involves public property,” Simank said.

jbrown84
04-13-2007, 10:48 PM
this has already been discussed (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/9513-city-brewer-screw-up-parking-revenues.html?)

bricktownlife
04-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Where's the accountability?

Tom Anderson simply forgot to ask Jim Brewer to make $44,500 worth of payments owed the City of OKC. Does the City of OKC let you go without paying your water bill for 26 months? Mr. Anderson may be a nice guy, but this is absolute malfeasance. Was Mr. Anderson reprimanded or disciplined for this oversight?

Jim Brewer is permitted to pay City of OKC its portion of the parking lot proceeds 26 months late (and only after the Daily Oklahoman asked him about the non-payments). Was Mr. Brewer required to pay a penalty for his late payments? (Anybody that knows the time-value-of-money realizes how much interest he made on the $44,500.) Does Mr. Brewer let his tenants go 26 months without paying their rent?

Where's the outrage?

johnnyboyokc
04-28-2007, 04:24 AM
first of all that is alot better ROI than COPTA could of given the city.

bricktownlife
05-01-2007, 12:32 PM
first of all that is alot better ROI than COPTA could of given the city.

Johnnyboyokc:

Does your lease with the City of Oklahoma City include any provisions concerning delinent payments?

johnnyboyokc
05-04-2007, 11:31 PM
No but, like i said that is a great return for the city of okc......If it were copta they could not charge a price of 10 dollars however the garage at the marriott sets prices too.....with a price of 20 dollars a car in a garage that was built by the city of OKC for the city so help you the people who only have time to discuss parking prices seriously learn how to spell delquient.

bricktownlife
05-06-2007, 08:44 PM
1. There's no way the City of OKC drafted a parking lot lease that doesn't address delinquent payments. Are you sure?

2. Are you sure the City of OKC owns the parking lot next to the Ford Center? I thought the Courtyard Marriott owns it.

johnnyboyokc
05-10-2007, 12:31 AM
no the courtyard parking is subsidized by the city......yet they still charge a fair market value......."5 to 20 dollars" proximity matters, along with demand.....BPI followed the lease as planned, delinquency was not an issue....it stated 2000 a month and with an annual audit of 35 percent......2000 a month was always paid and BPI was gladly to pay the percentage anytime......BPI is in a wonderful situation with the city so why would BPI try to hinder that....Mr. Brewer has done many wonderful things for OKC from beginning to end, If it was'nt for his sacrifice, along with many others that created MAPS, downtown would be nothing............

AFCM
05-10-2007, 04:05 PM
The people of Oklahoma City invested in downtown, which is why Bricktown and the surrounding areas are thriving. Brewer simply saw a golden opportunity to make the most out of that investment. One can argue that Jim truly wants what's best for Bricktown, but when you penetrate the smoke screen you'll notice that his interest in seeing the area succeed is merely for personal gain. For example: A nice parking garage would be great for the area, but that would cost too much money for Brewer. First he would have to construct the garage, then he'd lose out on all of the revenue he would generate with parking lots. He's all about the supply and demand. Result: Plenty of surface parking and a story coming out about extra money being pocketed.

Now, does Brewer have an interest in seeing Bricktown succeed? Yes, he does. But you have to ask yourself why. When you put the pieces of the puzzle together, you'll see he's concerned about the financial aspect of it all and not about making Bricktown a better place.

bricktownlife
05-14-2007, 11:25 PM
no the courtyard parking is subsidized by the city......yet they still charge a fair market value......."5 to 20 dollars" proximity matters, along with demand.....BPI followed the lease as planned, delinquency was not an issue....it stated 2000 a month and with an annual audit of 35 percent......2000 a month was always paid and BPI was gladly to pay the percentage anytime......BPI is in a wonderful situation with the city so why would BPI try to hinder that....Mr. Brewer has done many wonderful things for OKC from beginning to end, If it was'nt for his sacrifice, along with many others that created MAPS, downtown would be nothing............

Three thoughts:

1. How is the Courtyard Marriott subsidized by the City of OKC? JQ Hammons paid for the hotel and parking garage. So, Brett, you're wrong.

2. Wait a minute. You said that "Brewer Parking Incorporated followed the lease as planned." The City of OKC signed a parking lot lease that didn't specify when you were supposed to remit its percentage of revenues? Let's get Tom Anderson to chime in. Seriously, can somebody ask Tom Anderson to respond to this discussion. (He is a public servant, this is public property, and we are OKC citizens, right?) If the City of OKC signed a lease without a reference to penalties for delinquent payments, then somebody should be fired.

3. "Mr. Brewer has done many wonderful things for OKC..." Did you seriously just refer to your father as "Mr. Brewer"? Come on, Brett, enough with the formalities. Next time, you can just call him "dad."

bricktownlife
06-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Any response, johnnyboyokc? :whiteflag

Midtowner
06-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I agree with johnnyboy -- while perhaps Brewer's plans aren't the "best" possible for the city, they're the best IN the city. COTPA, for example, can't even turn a freakin' profit on their Santa Fe garage (still operating in the red after 20 someodd years due to exorbitant administration fees and expenses paid to friends of the Trust). I doubt the city which can't even remember to collect the rent on time would do a much better job.

I've dealt with the city attorney's office -- they're a bunch of money grubbing sharks (and for you citizens, that's a good thing!). I find the explanations to be believable in that the I-40 thing was expected to happen faster and that often once the deal is done, no one really examines anything too closely again.

Bricktownlife, if you really want answers, I'm pretty sure a lease with the city would be a matter of public record. If you really care, you can fill out an FOI form and find out for yourself. Honestly, I wouldn't mind knowing myself. I can't imagine Brewer would do anything to queer the deal he has with the city for the reasons johnnyboyokc mentioned. There are any number of explanations which come to mind for this situation though. While the city does have a duty to answer for these sorts of things, unfortunately, we the people don't get to specify the time and place which they do so -- but you know that :)

soonerborn
06-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Is there any area of Bricktown development that isn't questionable? We could go down the line, starting with Bass Pro. Sure, things are looking up downtown, but why are a handful of businessman/politicians allowed to benefit from our taxpayer dollars?

Midtowner
06-14-2007, 01:56 PM
That's how public investment works SB. Do you think COTPA or a city parking entity could handle the parking situation in Bricktown as well as a for-profit entity? I really doubt it.

Brewer's company has done a pretty good job managing the parking out there. Before they managed these lots, the city wasn't making a dime off of all the cars parking in the field under I-40.

bricktownlife
06-18-2007, 04:14 PM
That's how public investment works SB. Do you think COTPA or a city parking entity could handle the parking situation in Bricktown as well as a for-profit entity? I really doubt it.

Brewer's company has done a pretty good job managing the parking out there. Before they managed these lots, the city wasn't making a dime off of all the cars parking in the field under I-40.

Midtowner:

I'm not familiar enough with COPTA to tell you who would run Bricktown's parking lots better. But I'm wondering why every city parking lot has to be "profitable." Aren't there are certain public services that can be provided without having to generate a profit? How many fewer families, for example, would enjoy city parks if they were charged admission to enter?

Midtowner
06-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Midtowner:

I'm not familiar enough with COPTA to tell you who would run Bricktown's parking lots better. But I'm wondering why every city parking lot has to be "profitable." Aren't there are certain public services that can be provided without having to generate a profit? How many fewer families, for example, would enjoy city parks if they were charged admission to enter?

There is abundant free parking in Bricktown -- either on the streets actually next to the restaurants or in the CBD and just a quick walk or trolley ride away.

Pay-to-park serves multiple policy interests of the city. Of course, first and foremost, it makes money for them... lots of it. That's pretty big.

Aside from that, the lots are maintained, a modicum of security and safety is provided (how many robberies are going to occur when there is a parking lot attendant on duty?), the best parking is not taken by employees of the Bricktown area, people don't abandon cars there, the lots are maintained, and the lot attendants ensure that the lots are filled to capacity.

Brewer's operation is different from COTPA. COTPA is the Central Oklahoma Transit and Parking Authority. They operate all of our public transportation and all of the public parking garages, the Santa Fe garage, the new garage by the court house, etc. While Brewer turns a profit on all of his parking lots -- and a healthy one at that, you'd think these city lots would do the same...

Not the case. The Santa Fe parking lot, while being a HUGE parking structure which gets plenty of business from the Chase Building employees as well as most of the East side of the CBD has never turned a profit. This is primarily due to exorbitant contracts for "management," hugely expensive contracts with cleaning companies, essentially, it's an organization much like many of our public trusts -- quasi-public entities which use the city's legitimacy to milk the taxpaying public and line their friends' pockets. It's as simple as that.

Brewer's operation on the other hand, is quite straight forward -- it's for lining his own pocket. Also, unlike the COTPA garages, instead of being money-pits, these garages are also generating a significant income for the city.

In my world, that's a win-win.

Folks have to get past the fact that for a quality urban entertainment district, you might have to pay to park (unless you're okay with walking a little bit). Go check out Greensville during OU-Texas weekend (closest thing to Bricktown in this region)... parking spots were hard to find, even for $15-$25 last time I was there.

bricktownlife
06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Midtowner:

Since I knew very little about COPTA, I appreciated your response. But it still doesn't address the fundamental question: Aren't there are certain public services that can be provided without having to generate a profit? From an urban redevelopment standpoint, maybe the more appropriate question should be: Are there certain public services (i.e. parking) that must be provided without a profit?

Unfortunately, I don't agree with your reference to Greenville (Dallas) during OU-Texas weekend. Simply stated, Oklahoma City isn't comparable to Dallas, or Los Angeles, or New York City, or any other large, metropolitan city that the Brewer's like to reference. If we're sincere about debating urban redevelopment, we have to select models more comparable to OKC, relative to population, geography, and other pertinent economic drivers.

Ft. Worth would be a much more accurate comparison. According to the 2000 Census, Ft. Worth's population (534,694) is close to OKC (506,132). (Neither figure appear to include the cities' greater metro area.) Both target travelers from the same surrounding states (Arkansas, New Mexico, Kansas). Both have a rich, western history.

I would encourage anyone interested in an honest debate about entertainment district parking should take a look at Ft. Worth's entertainment district:

Sundance Square Fort Worth - maps (http://www.sundancesquare.com/maps/maps_directions.aspx)

Both public and private parking lot owners recognize the importance of free and affordable parking in an urban entertainment district, and they've sacrificed personal gain (profit) for the greater benefit of the merchants in the district. (For example, a large number of Sundance Square parking lots are free after 5 p.m.)

Visit their website. You'll see several trends that Bricktown will never achieve, at least not while Jim Brewer controls the city-owned parking lots: National clothing stores, bookstores, and restaurants. (I'm not a huge advocate of national chains, but they do compliment local tenants.)

Does anyone disagree with the Ft. Worth comparison?

Midtowner
06-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Not really -- In Bricktown, sure, there are pay lots, but as I said before, if you want free parking, it's not too tough to find.

I was just in Bricktown last night. Found a spot right behind the movie theater -- reasonably close to everything I wanted to do. Could I have been closer for $5.00? Sure.

Brewer's parking attendants only really charge for the choicest lots... and in times when parking is going to be tight, they charge a premium. This allows people who value the better parking to be able to get that.. and the folks who don't care to still be able to park for free (in the CBD or vicinity) and walk or ride the trolley in. There are hundreds of spaces downtown available even on the busiest nights and the trolley runs all the way down to the museum. I can't imagine that there every wouldn't be free parking available to someone who wanted it.

I liken the situation to a concert... those who are willing to pay the money will pay a premium for the best seats in the house. I approve of that -- it works to everyone's benefit. Imagine if everything were just general admission? Why would anyone be in favor of that?

I think you might have a serious argument if there were no other parking options in Bricktown than Brewer's lots, but that simply isn't the case.

bricktownlife
06-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Not really -- In Bricktown, sure, there are pay lots, but as I said before, if you want free parking, it's not too tough to find.

Midtowner: Other than Lower Bricktown (i.e. south of Reno Avenue), name one place in Bricktown where there's free parking?

I was just in Bricktown last night. Found a spot right behind the movie theater -- reasonably close to everything I wanted to do. Could I have been closer for $5.00? Sure.

Brewer's parking attendants only really charge for the choicest lots... and in times when parking is going to be tight, they charge a premium. This allows people who value the better parking to be able to get that.. and the folks who don't care to still be able to park for free (in the CBD or vicinity) and walk or ride the trolley in. There are hundreds of spaces downtown available even on the busiest nights and the trolley runs all the way down to the museum. I can't imagine that there every wouldn't be free parking available to someone who wanted it.

Midtowner: Name one parking lot in the CBD that is free? What time do the trolleys stop running on weeknights? Do the trolleys run on Sundays?

I liken the situation to a concert... those who are willing to pay the money will pay a premium for the best seats in the house. I approve of that -- it works to everyone's benefit. Imagine if everything were just general admission? Why would anyone be in favor of that?

Midtowner: I don't support banning all paid parking, especially in privately-owned parking spaces immediately adjacent to event venues, restaurants, etc. I'm focused on city-owned parking lots that have been leased to Jim Brewer (and his various partners). Respectfully, I don't believe concert seats and Bricktown parking are analogous. After having spent $500 million in tax-dollars, I would assert that city-owned parking lots are more analogous to parking lots in your neighborhood park. Provide sufficient free parking to permit residents and visitors to enjoy the amenity.

Midtowner: How does your concert seat analogy apply to retailers (i.e. not restaurants or nightclubs)? If you're a retailer looking at locating in Bricktown, how do you build paid-parking into your business model? How do you convince the casual shopper to spend $5-$10 to park in Bricktown, when that same shopper can park for free at Penn Square Mall, Western Avenue, or Spring Creek Plaza? Unlike eating, shopping frequently involves browsing, it doesn't necessarily involve buying. (You can leave a mall without buying anything, but you don't often leave a restaurant without eating, right?) The fact is, most people don't pay $5-$10 to simply browse. If we don't provide free parking above Reno Avenue, then Bricktown's merchant mix will never change: restaurants and nightclubs only.

I think you might have a serious argument if there were no other parking options in Bricktown than Brewer's lots, but that simply isn't the case.

Midtowner: Other than Lower Bricktown, which city-owned lot does Jim Brewer not control?

Midtowner
06-19-2007, 06:31 PM
[quote]Midtowner: Other than Lower Bricktown (i.e. south of Reno Avenue), name one place in Bricktown where there's free parking?

Along all of the streets as well as the area north of Spaghetti Warehouse/City Walk. All of those meters are free after 6PM. Also, a parking bus (or more than one) makes runs all over those parking lots delivering folks to their destinations.

Midtowner: Name one parking lot in the CBD that is free? What time do the trolleys stop running on weeknights? Do the trolleys run on Sundays?

Trolleys stop running at 11PM on weeknights. I agree, that's an issue, however, street parking is free all over the CBD after 6PM and it's really not that much of a walk. With all of the hotels and other venues down there, I don't feel bad walking around there at night. I actually live on the western edge of the CBD and have made frequent walks to bricktown... no big deal.

Considering what I eat/drink in Bricktown, I'm sure the exercise doesn't hurt.

I don't support banning all paid parking, especially in privately-owned parking spaces immediately adjacent to event venues, restaurants, etc. I'm focused on city-owned parking lots that have been leased to Jim Brewer (and his various partners). Respectfully, I don't believe concert seats and Bricktown parking are analogous. After having spent $500 million in tax-dollars, I would assert that city-owned parking lots are more analogous to parking lots in your neighborhood park. Provide sufficient free parking to permit residents and visitors to enjoy the amenity.

People are going to Bricktown regardless of the cost of parking (so long as it's within reason. Why should the city not recoup some of that investment from the people who actually utilize it? It's a lot like a toll road in that respect. I see no problem with this.

How does your concert seat analogy apply to retailers (i.e. not restaurants or nightclubs)? If you're a retailer looking at locating in Bricktown, how do you build paid-parking into your business model? How do you convince the casual shopper to spend $5-$10 to park in Bricktown, when that same shopper can park for free at Penn Square Mall, Western Avenue, or Spring Creek Plaza? Unlike eating, shopping frequently involves browsing, it doesn't necessarily involve buying. (You can leave a mall without buying anything, but you don't often leave a restaurant without eating, right?) The fact is, most people don't pay $5-$10 to simply browse. If we don't provide free parking above Reno Avenue, then Bricktown's merchant mix will never change: restaurants and nightclubs only.

That's why the retail that's down there is built to either be destination retail -- as in if you're going to drop $200 on a pair of jeans at Firefly, who cares what you pay for parking... or there's retail which compliments the club/restaurant scene, such as the Painted Door.

I don't think Bricktown yet has the tourist traffic (get a Hyatt Regency down there and it will) to support full scale shopping. I think once the foot traffic is there all day long, we'll start to see a decent mix of upscale clothing and gift shops. None of those sorts of places will be in competition with what we see on Western Avenue, Spring Creek, etc. Bricktown isn't aiming to compete with those types of places. It is, and ever should be a tourism/entertainment district.

Other than Lower Bricktown, which city-owned lot does Jim Brewer not control?

That I'm not sure about. I'm sure a certain member here would have been happy to answer that question for you, but I'm not sure he's willing anymore.

I personally visit Bricktown a lot more often than the average Oklahoma Citian.. I *NEVER* pay for parking. It's just a matter of being willing to walk a few blocks sometimes.. That's life in the big city for ya.

johnnyboyokc
06-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Bricktown Parking only has one city lot all 8 of the others are owned by Mr. Brewer sorry...............

bricktownlife
07-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Bricktown Parking only has one city lot all 8 of the others are owned by Mr. Brewer sorry...............

Johnnyboyokc:

Are you saying that your Jim Brewer only controls one city-owned parking lot? That's absolutely untrue. For starters, let's discuss the 700+ parking spaces in the city-owned lot immediately north of Main Street in Bricktown (aka North Parking Lot).

Does Jim Brewer have an ownership interest in the investment group that leases the North Parking Lot from the City of Oklahoma City?

Yes or No?

johnnyboyokc
07-05-2007, 12:44 AM
that is strickly an investment to help bricktown....which he has no control of, Don Karchmer runs the BPI lot north of btown.

maestro
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Until / unless the City gets control of the parking lots, and manages them in a much more user-friendly (read less expensive) manner for visitors, the Bricktown parking issue will continue to be a thorn in it's side.

johnnyboyokc
07-22-2007, 01:44 AM
the lots north of bt are irrelevant.....we are a mall society and we like to park at the front door.........lets talk about the ones he own in the heart of bt......should we give away free enchiladas at chelinos of course not business is business

johnnyboyokc
07-22-2007, 01:50 AM
http://www.colliersmn.com/prod/cclod.nsf/publish/0C03DB24F2A5EFDE852571B0006CC392/$File/ParkingRateStudy.pdf

AFCM
07-22-2007, 03:21 PM
the lots north of bt are irrelevant.....we are a mall society and we like to park at the front door.........lets talk about the ones he own in the heart of bt......should we give away free enchiladas at chelinos of course not business is business

Yeah, I have a response. Uh...what?

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/r6geico/caveman/caveman3.jpg

maestro
07-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Not arguing the free-market system. Fact of the matter is that the current model isn't working - mostly due to what some would call the raping and pillaging by parking lot owners. If those owners were truly interested in the success of Bricktown, we wouldn't see the price-gouging that we have seen in the past.

Until the lots are City-owned or unless a reasonable price is charged for parking, even during special events, Bricktown will continue to struggle with the image created by the current parking situation.

metro
07-23-2007, 08:01 AM
what about possible option number 3. MidTown and Automobile Alley start rapidly developing into entertainment districts and Bricktown realizes it needs to stay competitive so they are forced to drop their parking prices. Sadly, I don't see this happening despite how successful AA and MidTown become. Bricktown may have to go the way of West End a little before they realize their mistakes.

Midtowner
07-23-2007, 09:00 AM
metro, for that reason, I'd imagine that the interests controlling the Bricktown parking lots are pretty keen on expanding their influence over the parking in the districts you mentioned. It would make perfect sense for them to do it as they are already very experienced at what they do.

-- anything beats COTPA.

johnnyboyokc
07-27-2007, 01:44 AM
no its all about jim cowan taking over and the parterships between the plots and the merchants..............plot owners have always wanter to work together but never had a leader............fixbricktownparking.com doesnt mean poop its all about everybody working together

betts
07-27-2007, 04:54 AM
I'd rather pay $10 to park in one of the lots than to risk a parking ticket. The parking meter police are vultures in Bricktown.

maestro
07-27-2007, 06:03 AM
........ its all about everybody working together

When everybody works together they are shooting for win/win. Paying $20 to park is win/lose no matter how you spin it.

Further, what we're talking about is image here. As silly as it may seem, parking prices in excess of $5 presents a negative image of the cost to come to Bricktown to buy a burger or see a movie.

johnnyboyokc
07-29-2007, 04:07 AM
well burger or no burger everyday is not big 12 weekend so quit harping on it, rascal flatts is 80 parking 10 they dont give free burgers at the brewery

Midtowner
07-29-2007, 09:26 AM
I'd rather pay $10 to park in one of the lots than to risk a parking ticket. The parking meter police are vultures in Bricktown.

Meters are free after 6PM. Further, you could probably use the exercise. Park on the street over on Main or Park. There is always free parking over there when I visit -- I even found free parking on Rascal Flats night.

People don't visit Bricktown just to buy a burger. If that was their goal, they could very easily visit the McDonald's or Chili's which is probably closer to home. Folks go to Bricktown for the entertainment experience only Bricktown can offer.

I don't value close parking, so I don't pay for it. I park and walk in.. no big deal.

If you don't like the parking prices, you don't have to pay them. It's the convenience of being close which you're paying for. If street parking was to be taken over by some parking authority, I might have issues, that not being the case though, I don't see where anyone can really complain.

maestro
07-29-2007, 12:22 PM
well burger or no burger everyday is not big 12 weekend so quit harping on it, rascal flatts is 80 parking 10 they dont give free burgers at the brewery

Could you be more unintelligible?

johnnyboyokc
08-10-2007, 02:39 AM
well maestro what do you own????????? Who's unintelligible?

maestro
08-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks for making my point.

johnnyboyokc
08-11-2007, 01:52 AM
always a pleasure maestro!

jbrown84
08-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Punctuate please!

bricktownlife
08-12-2007, 09:50 PM
well maestro what do you own????????? Who's unintelligible?

Dear Johnnyboyokc (aka Brett Brewer):

Do you really judge a person's intellect by the amount of property that he owns?

You work for your father's parking company. You drive around Bricktown (an entertainment district created by a sales tax paid for by average citizens who probably don't own much property) in your $70,000 Cadillac Escalade picking up parking revenue (paid for by people who probably don't own much property) from your parking lot attendants (who probably don't own much property either). Your lucky there's so many unintelligent people like us around, or you and your family couldn't afford to drive around in all your expensive cars.

If your father didn't own parking lots, Brett, I wonder what you would be doing right now?

maestro
08-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Um...actually, the word was unintellgible... which could describe the majority of Johnny's posts.

metro
08-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Dear Johnnyboyokc (aka Brett Brewer):

Do you really judge a person's intellect by the amount of property that he owns?

You work for your father's parking company. You drive around Bricktown (an entertainment district created by a sales tax paid for by average citizens who probably don't own much property) in your $70,000 Cadillac Escalade picking up parking revenue (paid for by people who probably don't own much property) from your parking lot attendants (who probably don't own much property either). Your lucky there's so many unintelligent people like us around, or you and your family couldn't afford to drive around in all your expensive cars.

If your father didn't own parking lots, Brett, I wonder what you would be doing right now?

hilarioius, I love it. and yeah johnnyboy, your posts are always vague and don't make sense.

johnnyboyokc
11-01-2007, 12:34 AM
allow me to apologize, i forget sometimes about my lot in life! apparently i should sit on the sidelines and never do anything with myself such as you! keep reading these blogs and one day you may be able to hitch a free ride on a water taxi..........

kevinpate
11-01-2007, 02:39 PM
You reopened a thread that's been quiet for over two months, one which most recently did little except portray you as a semi-illiterate runner for your daddy?

Perhaps your detractors are not the folks spending a tad too much time cruising the boards.

wsucougz
11-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Being from another city of similar size, it's always been interesting to me how OKC retains that small town feel, particularly with the way word gets around and how it's much easier to get your name out there than other cities. Brett, based on the fact that your reputation is already a bit tainted(just ask the help at the brewery), has it ever crossed your mind that it might not be a good idea to be shooting your mouth off on this message board?

Karried
11-11-2007, 09:11 PM
One thing to remember with anyone posting on these boards ..... you never really know if the person truly is who they say they are.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-12-2007, 10:41 AM
One thing to remember with anyone posting on these boards ..... you never really know if the person truly is who they say they are.

Exactly.

I may play an idiot on these boards, but I'm really Mick Cornett.

bricktownlife
01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Johnnyboy:

What ever happened to the "Free Tuesday Night Parking" that your dad announced at a press conference this past year?

jsenter
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Quit picking on Jim Brewer. He purchased land, and set up a parking company. It was a pretty smart investment, in my opinion. Why should he allow people to park on his land for free when he can turn a profit from charging people to park there? Jim Brewer is business man, and he's out to turn his investments into dollars. Many of you here have the wrong concept when it comes to running a business. Running a business is not about purchasing things and giving them away for free. It's about making smart investments that will turn into cash flow.

jbrown84
01-31-2008, 04:43 PM
But he is not helping his long-term profit potential by running people out of Bricktown and sitting on his buildings.

solitude
01-31-2008, 05:42 PM
But he is not helping his long-term profit potential by running people out of Bricktown and sitting on his buildings.

Totally an aside here....

Jbrown, every time I see your avatar I think of the Texas School Book Depository building. Looking up from the limousine.

Patrick
01-31-2008, 06:08 PM
I agree with jbrown.....he could make so much more money if he fixed up his buildings, lowered his rents, and lowered his parking charges. Why? Because it would attract more people to Bricktown, who currently aren't willing to pay the price to park.

jbrown84
02-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Totally an aside here....

Jbrown, every time I see your avatar I think of the Texas School Book Depository building. Looking up from the limousine.

That's the Court Plaza building at Harvey and Kerr.

johnnyboyokc
02-03-2008, 01:36 AM
free tuesday's are still going on however most restaurants dont pay their bill............amazing how you try to help and get nothing in return.

Midtowner
02-03-2008, 09:30 AM
I agree with jbrown.....he could make so much more money if he fixed up his buildings, lowered his rents, and lowered his parking charges. Why? Because it would attract more people to Bricktown, who currently aren't willing to pay the price to park.

On the weekends, his parking lots are completely full. How exactly would he make more money by lowering the rates?

There's a finite amount of good parking in Bricktown. He seems to be charging what the market will bare.

The rents are another issue entirely. Of course, it may be those rents keeping chains like Chili's from opening up in Bricktown.

bricktownlife
02-10-2008, 10:41 AM
free tuesday's are still going on however most restaurants dont pay their bill............amazing how you try to help and get nothing in return.

Johnnyboy:

Wait a minute. When your father and Jim Cowan held their "press conference" last summer, they announced "free parking" on Tuesday nights. But if you were simply shifting the costs on to Bricktown merchants, then it wasn't "free" after all, was it?

johnnyboyokc
02-10-2008, 11:49 PM
its all about working together........However the parking lots are taking the same loss while they are gaining a ten dollar meal or better...........

johnnyboyokc
02-10-2008, 11:52 PM
the lots are full every weekend............wow must mean restaurants are too........

News2me
03-13-2008, 10:41 PM
The people of Oklahoma City invested in downtown, which is why Bricktown and the surrounding areas are thriving. Brewer simply saw a golden opportunity to make the most out of that investment. One can argue that Jim truly wants what's best for Bricktown, but when you penetrate the smoke screen you'll notice that his interest in seeing the area succeed is merely for personal gain. For example: A nice parking garage would be great for the area, but that would cost too much money for Brewer. First he would have to construct the garage, then he'd lose out on all of the revenue he would generate with parking lots. He's all about the supply and demand. Result: Plenty of surface parking and a story coming out about extra money being pocketed.

Now, does Brewer have an interest in seeing Bricktown succeed? Yes, he does. But you have to ask yourself why. When you put the pieces of the puzzle together, you'll see he's concerned about the financial aspect of it all and not about making Bricktown a better place.

That is our free-market society at it's finest. Would you rather a system where nobody can make money off of their capital investments? Sure we all pitched in to make Bricktown, but this guy had the foresight to own property there before we did.