View Full Version : Attn all who have any pride in OKC!

Easy180
04-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Please check out the following quote from the Ways and Means Comm Chairwoman in Washington!.....Few things get me riled up but for a senior congresswoman to say this is inexcusable

Ways and Means Chairwoman Margarita Prentice, D-Renton, said those who criticized the plan because it does not provide assurances that the team will not pull up stakes ten years from now are underestimating the strength of the region.

"Why would anybody leave here and go to Oklahoma City? Have you ever been to Oklahoma City? I have," Prentice said.

Here is the link to the story if you would like it verified first

Sonics bill makes progress in Legislature (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/311529_sonics13ww.html)

Here is a link to a form you can email to her...I've already sent one to let her know that we have been following the Sonics situation closely and I have seen numerous derogatory shots at us from Sonics fans, but for a Committee Chairwoman to say that is over the line

E-mail Senator Margarita Prentice (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/memberemail/MailForm.aspx?Chamber=S&District=11)

I have requested a response back so if I do get one I will post it....Let's let her hear from us that are stuck here in this crappy city :fighting3

Karried
04-13-2007, 03:06 PM
This was said about Seattle a few paragraphs above her rude remark:

"This is so insane," said Sen. Rodney Tom, D-Medina. "I can not see how we in the Legislature can subsidize Ray Allen for $16 million a year when we cannot pay a starting wage starting wage for a teacher of $34,000…we talk about state of the art facilities but when it comes to education, we have 2,000 portables in this state. We have schools where you can't drink the water."

What did you write to her Easy180?

Easy180
04-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I just let her know that I didn't appreciate her classy remark and that it was totally inappropriate for a Ways and Means Chairwoman...Couldn't believe it when I read it...Just pissed me off

Just thought others may like to fill in the form and let her know we appreciate her lovely sentiments

NE Oasis
04-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Here is a link to a form you can email to her[/B]...I've already sent one to let her know that we have been following the Sonics situation closely and I have seen numerous derogatory shots at us from Sonics fans, but for a Committee Chairwoman to say that is over the line

Thanks for the link. My letter (with request for reply) is in her "IN" box. I told the Senator I have been in the Seattle area many times and although I tok the ride road and did not offer any direct comparisons I mentioned our full access to all the cultural activities they have, varied economy, affordable housing, etc.

jbrown84
04-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Ms. Prentice,

I'm sure you pride yourself as a Washingtonian on being classy and cultured. I must say you really proved yourself just wonderfully with your recent hateful, childish comments towards the City of Oklahoma City.

"Why would anybody leave here and go to Oklahoma City? Have you ever been to Oklahoma City? I have," Prentice said.

Who do you think you are, Ms. Prentice, to act like a 5th grader while working as a senator? Your comments show your immaturity and you lack of education on the subject. I'm guessing if you have been to Oklahoma City, it's been quite some time. Would you like someone to make blanket judgements about your city or state based on a decades old first impression? I THINK NOT.

Did you know that Oklahoma City has a philharmonic, a ballet, a world class dance company, one of the largest arts festivals in the country, and a university famous for the performing arts? Did you know that the Oklahoma City Museum of Art has the largest collection of Chihuly glass in the world on permanent display? Did you know that that same museum will host an exhibit from the Lourve next year that will be visiting OKC, Indianapolis, and Seattle? Did you know that Oklahoma City will soon be home to the largest collection of bronze sculpture in the country? Did you know that Oklahoma City is home to the International Photography Hall of Fame? Did you know that Oklahoma City has seen over a billion private dollars invested in its downtown in the last 10 years?

I'm guessing you didn't know any of these facts, and formed your opinion based on what you saw from your car as you turned your nose up to us Oklahoma country bumpkins. Perhaps next time you will choose a more diplomatic way to state your opinion.

Jason Brown
Oklahoma City

Pete
04-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Not only are her comments insulting, they are completely idiotic considering all the owners of the Sonics choose to live in OKC.

BDP
04-13-2007, 04:13 PM
I wish I could say that all Oklahomans were above such comments (have you ever been to the hornetscentral boards?), but let's take her question seriously for a second:

Why would anybody leave here and go to Oklahoma City?

Well, if you're an NBA team, you leave Seattle and go to Oklahoma City because NBA teams lose money in Seattle and they make money in Oklahoma City. It's as simple as that and her distaste for Oklahoma City won't make the Sonics more money, nor will it convince the legislature to give her city 300 million in tax payer money for a new arena.

Easy180
04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
bdp...It's one thing talking smack behind a computer screen on hornetscentral and another to say it in a legislation session

I know worse things have happened in life, but that just plain pissed me off and was totally uncalled for from an esteemed congresswoman

Nicely put jbrown...Sure our emails won't exactly ruin her day, but I feel a little better after taking a few minutes to call her an idiot :tiphat:

trison
04-13-2007, 05:10 PM
I also sent a letter Senator Prentice. I invited her to visit Oklahoma City so that she could educate herself on the benefits Oklahoma City has to offer. Unfortunately her views are similiar to many people who have never been to OKlahoma. It is our job to better inform the nation of the many qualities that exist here. A few examples are.....low utility rates, abundant water, low property taxes, highly educated work force with a strong work ethic, easy commutes, low cost of living and our best quality.....the people that live here. Oklahoma City is the best kept secret in the country. Let's share it with the rest of the nation.

okcpulse
04-13-2007, 07:09 PM
What's histerical about this entire ordeal is that Seattle keeps tooting their horn about how much more lucrative their market is. I could care less about lucrative markets based on 'more companies' and a 'larger population base'. That doesn't mean s#!t in a country where preferences are everything. I could sell an item in a larger market that wouldn't sell much because the majority just isn't interested, but make a fortune in a smaller market full of people wanting to buy what I have to offer. This isn't the 20th Century anymore.

Like I have said before, I don't want the Sonics in Oklahoma City. Why? Because the hot heads in Seattle have made this entire experience completely sour with their insults and high horse attitude. And the press be with them. Bury your face in a John Steinbeck novel and keep your two-bit salt-water baked brain to yourselves, west coast.

(Hot Rod, you're exempt from the above said. We are just getting tired of Seattle's rude remarks from the press and local leaders)

Kerry
04-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Not quite Don Imus stupid - but close.

dcsooner
04-13-2007, 08:01 PM
All,
I am a native Oklahoman and I have been to Seattle on a couple of occassions and will be going on an Alaska cruise in late July leaving from Seattle. Seattle is a "world class" city no doubt. Oklahoma City is certainly on the rise but it really cannot compare with Seattle in certain areas such as: Sheer beauty of the place, closeness to Canada, mountains, Ocean, world class cuisine etc. The lady's comments were insulting to Oklahoma City and unnecessary, but we need to stop becoming incensed everytime someone says something negative. The best way Oklahoma and Oklahoma Citians can change perception is to get involved in improving on what we have, education, quality of life, entertainment etc. ITime would be better spent writing our leaders in the State demanding they appropriate funds to support growth in areas that attract people to places. Natural beauty is a nice to have but not necessary to build a great city. Dallas is not pretty, Las Vegas in not pretty, even Phoenix is not pretty unless you like the dessert. My point is let's stop talking about being a great city and start building one.

Kerry
04-13-2007, 08:36 PM
DC Sooner - we also can't compete with Seattle on homelessness, suicides, schools without drinkable water, or the number of portable classrooms. Sure Seattle is in a very beautiful setting but give me Toby Keith over Courtney Love anytime.

Millie
04-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Since when is "closeness to Canada" a selling point?

Karried
04-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Why would anybody leave here and go to Oklahoma City?

Maybe if you were an NBA team and wanted the love and support of frenzied fans .. aka The best fans in the NBA, you just might want to move to OKC. If you wanted to sell out arenas you might consider a move.. if you wanted a city to embrace and welcome you instead of trying to force you out of town, you might feel the need to relocate. Just depends on what is important to you.. living in Seattle might be nice.. but playing here to sold out crowds is even better.. especially if you're a NBA team needing some attention.

Talk to Shinn, Byron Scott and the Hornet's players.. they can give you some reasons why someone might want to come here. They did and they don't want to leave.

jbrown84
04-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Nicely put jbrown...Sure our emails won't exactly ruin her day, but I feel a little better after taking a few minutes to call her an idiot :tiphat:

Thanks. It definitely was. We'll see if she has the balls to respond. She has my email.

dcsooner, I think we would all agree that we are doing those things, but when someone that should be more diplomatic as well as educated says something like this, I think we must respond. I'm sure Kelly Ogle won't pay her a visit this time. I'd like to see Bennet respond though.

sdsooners
04-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Maybe the City of OKC can invite her to a game in a few years after we steal her beloved Sonics?

NE Oasis
04-14-2007, 09:52 AM
All,
I am a native Oklahoman and I have been to Seattle on a couple of occassions and will be going on an Alaska cruise in late July leaving from Seattle. Seattle is a "world class" city no doubt. Oklahoma City is certainly on the rise but it really cannot compare with Seattle in certain areas such as: Sheer beauty of the place, closeness to Canada, mountains, Ocean, world class cuisine etc. My point is let's stop talking about being a great city and start building one.
DCSooner-you appear as guilty as the Seattle Legislator!
1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
2. Close to another country? We're closer to Mexico
3. Geographic features? We have the Great Salt Plains, WIchita Mountains, etc
4. World class cuisine? All over the OKC Metro!!!

We have a great city, and it just keeps getting better

dcsooner
04-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Ok folks, I agree. I am glad to see my fellow Oklahomas beginning to show genuine Pride in our State. Oklahoma is a great State and I am certainly ecstatic that Sooners are beginning to define themselves rather than let others do so!

writerranger
04-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Ok folks, I agree. I am glad to see my fellow Oklahomas beginning to show genuine Pride in our State. Oklahoma is a great State and I am certainly ecstatic that Sooners are beginning to define themselves rather than let others do so!

I'm glad you agree. I was just going to post about our being closer to the Caribbean. ;

----------------------

AFCM
04-14-2007, 11:34 PM
We'll see if she has the balls to respond.

Something tells me you're just setting her up for failure here.

Unless...

aintaokie
04-15-2007, 06:27 AM
They say it always rains in Seattle. So, all being said, "may a golden shower rain upon the head of Ms. Prentice". May showers of prosperity always rain upon the fine people and the great city of OKLAHOMA CITY.

HOT ROD
04-15-2007, 07:57 PM
What's histerical about this entire ordeal is that Seattle keeps tooting their horn about how much more lucrative their market is. I could care less about lucrative markets based on 'more companies' and a 'larger population base'. That doesn't mean s#!t in a country where preferences are everything. I could sell an item in a larger market that wouldn't sell much because the majority just isn't interested, but make a fortune in a smaller market full of people wanting to buy what I have to offer. This isn't the 20th Century anymore.

Like I have said before, I don't want the Sonics in Oklahoma City. Why? Because the hot heads in Seattle have made this entire experience completely sour with their insults and high horse attitude. And the press be with them. Bury your face in a John Steinbeck novel and keep your two-bit salt-water baked brain to yourselves, west coast.

(Hot Rod, you're exempt from the above said. We are just getting tired of Seattle's rude remarks from the press and local leaders)

No problem PULSE.

I also emailed Prentice and spoke up about OKC on the SeattleTimes and PI forums. Fortunately, the majority of people here think well if not highly of OKC. The most fanatical and hysterical people are those who are die-hard SONICS fans, like Prentice.

Besides that, she is a Senator from Renton - which is where the new Arena would be built - so she has an EXTREME vested interest. But yes, I did speak up of the rather ignorant and distasteful comments made by some people on the forums and in our government.

But as some have said here - those comments are made by those ignorant of what OKC actually has to offer and/or those who are jealous of what OKC has become - equal in many aspects to cities like Seattle.

One more week fellows - then we'll see who comes out laughing at this whole matter. The Hornets are GONE but the SONICS will call Oklahoma City home.

As someone rightfully pointed out on this thread, the owners of the SONICS live/work/plan from/in Oklahoma City and NO BODY has moved to "paradise Seattle" or even set up an office here! That should indicate that OKC is viable, especially because OKC is the subject of at least two NBA franchises.

There are some in Seattle who are stuck on the 1980's, when OKC was not in the 500k major city club. Well, OKC is there now and almost has as many people in its city as the city of Seattle! That scares some, especially since OKC will take something away from venerable Seattle.

Trust me, they would not complain at all if the SONICS were to relocate to Chicago or Vancouver or Saint Louis. But because OKC is just now becoming Tier II, we're easy pickin's for a while - until we get the SONICS and continue to improve our city, which will be shown on television more and more, and more and more visit the city for business, pleasure, and "dare I say" - culture.

One thing is for sure, OKC is definitely much more mature in general with regard to the SONICS than the "vocal" Seattle has been. Dont you all recognize some "similarities" in Seattle's behaviour to that from NOLA?

Times are changing - and Oklahoma City IS the next great city!

Continue the Renaissance!

Kerry
04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
HotRod - your comparison of Seattle and NOLA was right on.

mranderson
04-15-2007, 09:30 PM
"Like I have said before, I don't want the Sonics in Oklahoma City. Why? Because the hot heads in Seattle have made this entire experience completely sour with their insults and high horse attitude."

It seems to me this would be a very GOOD reason to WANT the team here. We can prove to the people to whom you refer how incorrect they are, thus "putting egg on their faces."

HOT ROD
04-15-2007, 10:34 PM
It doesn't matter what the Hot Heads say, they are in minority - both in NOLA and Seattle.

Most people here don't think that way - they know OKC is in the middle and is a formidable regional city with big energy companies. They may not know anything else, and that is where OKCians can improve.

The fact that a "high profile" (which is debatable by the way) state senator said what she said only illustrates her (and other SEATTLE SONICS fans) disdain for OKC getting the SONICS, nothing else. This is very similar to the vocal minority in NOLA who would bash OKC at every chance even tho the same OKC is the reason why the Hornets and NOLA even exist today.

Why shouldn't the Hornets change their name to OKC, they were based here! And New Orleans benefitted from it - but they only care about name recognition - which is why they all of sudden started "supporting" the Hornets. We'll see how long the Hornets remain in NOLA. I predict, two years; next year with a loss but with hopes of improvement due to the All Star game being hosted there, only to have year 2 a complete disaster due to the LOW and POOR population of NOLA. Corporate support will go to the NFL Saints, so the Hornets will be looking for a new city in 2 years, most likely Oklahoma City IF the SONICS were not to relocate (1% chance of that not-happening), second probably Las Vegas. I predict in 2 years, Las Vegas HORNETS!

As for the SONICS, Im almost certain there will be no private support for them here - and no public either. Im hopeful that Bennett will go to the NBA board after Apr 22, and ask them for an exemption. No one wants to keep losing $$ or allow the NBA brand to further sink. And given OKC's and Bennett's reputation, they should allow him an exemption to move the team for 2007 as long as Key Arena is taken care of. That is a drop-in-the-bucket compared to what lies ahead in profit as well as pride from OKC. Oklahoma City is a HOT sports market and I think the NBA experience will be very similar to that found in Salt Lake City.

In fact, I think OKC itself is very similar in many ways to the SLC area and Portland, both successful NBA small markets. I think the city needs to be meeting NOW to determine what improvements/lease agreements/zoning to improve retail/civic-public improvements will take place over the summer/early fall. We need to get ready for the SONICS and take steps to improve the downtown experience as a major league destination. We're almost there - but now lets put it into full steam; the SONICS are coming, the SONICS are coming!!

Spartan
04-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Ms. Prentice,

I'm sure you pride yourself as a Washingtonian on being classy and cultured. I must say you really proved yourself just wonderfully with your recent hateful, childish comments towards the City of Oklahoma City.

Who do you think you are, Ms. Prentice, to act like a 5th grader while working as a senator? Your comments show your immaturity and you lack of education on the subject. I'm guessing if you have been to Oklahoma City, it's been quite some time. Would you like someone to make blanket judgements about your city or state based on a decades old first impression? I THINK NOT.

Did you know that Oklahoma City has a philharmonic, a ballet, a world class dance company, one of the largest arts festivals in the country, and a university famous for the performing arts? Did you know that the Oklahoma City Museum of Art has the largest collection of Chihuly glass in the world on permanent display? Did you know that that same museum will host an exhibit from the Lourve next year that will be visiting OKC, Indianapolis, and Seattle? Did you know that Oklahoma City will soon be home to the largest collection of bronze sculpture in the country? Did you know that Oklahoma City is home to the International Photography Hall of Fame? Did you know that Oklahoma City has seen over a billion private dollars invested in its downtown in the last 10 years?

I'm guessing you didn't know any of these facts, and formed your opinion based on what you saw from your car as you turned your nose up to us Oklahoma country bumpkins. Perhaps next time you will choose a more diplomatic way to state your opinion.

Jason Brown
Oklahoma City

Actually we are currently approaching $3 billion in downtown bucks. Or you all can where around the 2,500 (downtown units) number.

jbrown84
04-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Actually we are currently approaching $3 billion in downtown bucks. Or you all can where around the 2,500 (downtown units) number.

I couldn't find the exact figure, so I undershot it.

bombermwc
04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I sent her a nice long educational experience as well. If only politicians wouldn't go and be stupid all the time....lol

jbrown84
04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
bomber, cc us on that!

BDP
04-16-2007, 03:00 PM
It doesn't matter what the Hot Heads say, they are in minority - both in NOLA and Seattle.

Exactly. This woman is lobbying for 300 million dollars of state tax money to be placed in her backyard. She's just pissed that if she doesn't get it, her target will move to a place she doesn't like. The reality is that it could have been anywhere, USA and she would have probably made some disparaging remark to appeal to the pride of the locals, as in "you can't let us lose this to them, can you?" That's all any of this is. The majority of people in Seattle are actually shrugging and saying "so what? if it costs us $300 million in revenue and untold amounts in opportunity cost, they can have it."

I mean, really, how many of us had heard of Renton, WA before 6 months ago and now we care what a desperate politician with her hand out says?

My point is let's stop talking about being a great city and start building one.

Well, put dc.

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 07:01 PM
One thing I wanted to say.

it is GREAT to see this out-pouring of support for Oklahoma City. You can sense the renaissance that has taken place here in the pride everyone has on the city today. While OKC may not be perfect, it is clear that no one will sit around and let someone mistakenly put down our city (unlike was the case just 15 years ago).

I have to say, Kudo's to Oklahoma City - now I think our civic leaders can take a point from those of us on this and other forums, STAND-UP FOR OUR CITY.

It would have been nice for some city official and/or Bennett himself to respond to WA Senator Margarita regarding her public disdain of Oklahoma City (which was really an attempt to rally the "troops" really). Although she didn't really say anything bad about the city, she implied that it is not-desireable given she has "been here."

That said, perhaps OKC's response or lack thereof really is appropriate and shows class and the truth to which such responses about OKC really are - nothing but inuendo that should not be given the time-nor-day or acknowledged.

Maybe OKC is not only a community with new pride in itself, but MAYBE OKC has grown-up too. We're too confident in ourselves and what we have to offer - to respond to such petty and ignorant claims from such insignificant people as a WA State Senator from Renton WA of all places.

OKC dances lightning years ahead of her hometown, yet she has that Seattle elitist attitude and wanted to use that to get people behind her cause.

Seattle might be better than OKC in some dimensions, but I see NOTHING that Renton has that's better than OKC other than its close to Seattle. I think she should stick to defending HER community instead of leaching on to Seattle in order to put down a community who will be the home of their major league team.

She should have talked up what Renton has to offer, Oh, wait - maybe she did not due so because Renton has NOTHING TO OFFER.

Doug Loudenback
04-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Here is a link to a form you can email to her...I've already sent one to let her know that we have been following the Sonics situation closely and I have seen numerous derogatory shots at us from Sonics fans, but for a Committee Chairwoman to say that is over the line

E-mail Senator Margarita Prentice (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/memberemail/MailForm.aspx?Chamber=S&District=11)

I have requested a response back so if I do get one I will post it....Let's let her hear from us that are stuck here in this crappy city :fighting3
Thanks, Easy. I've sent my message to her:

You're comments about Oklahoma City are actually appreciated by me since you are (once were) a primary proponent for keeping the Sonics and Storm in your area ... sorry you don't care for my town, but your remarks should help influence the Sonics/Storm owners you are supposedly trying to work with, but perhaps not in the way you might prefer. I'm sure that, as an educated person, you know what I mean without further elaboration. I assume that you've done your homework and you know that Mr. Bennett is a major leader in the Oklahoma Heritage Association (which annually names members to Oklahoma's Hall of Fame) among his other civic interests in that place you say "you've been to."

Thanks, though, for helping out my little town that you apprently think little of even though you may not have intended to be helpful ... we'll be glad to have wherever we can find it, regrdless of intention. And, like we did to Charles Barkley last year, you have an open invitation to come on down! We've got some mighty fine chickens and donkeys and such things ... we'll make you feel right at home!
Hope this will do.

Doug Loudenback
04-17-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm glad you agree. I was just going to post about our being closer to the Caribbean. ;

----------------------
Ahhh ... you hooked me ... what does Okc have that Seattle doesn't? It is closer to the Gulf and warm oceanic waters ... not as close as I'd like, but I'd sure as hell not want to have to travel SO far to get to those Gulf beaches!

Spartan
04-17-2007, 01:35 AM
So has anybody figured out what's happening here?

This is my best guess: Chris Van Dyk is upset about how his interview with HornetsCentral Patrick Nelson went and got dressed up in a wig and decided to bash OKC. Am I wrong?

http://www.realchangenews.org/2006/2006_06_07/Images/VotersontheRebound.jpghttp://www.historylink.org/db_images/Margaritaprentice.jpg
Chris --------------------------------------------- Margarita

I guess that makes Chris (aka Margarita), a Van ..... yeah.

BDP
04-17-2007, 11:37 AM
That said, perhaps OKC's response or lack thereof really is appropriate and shows class and the truth to which such responses about OKC really are - nothing but inuendo that should not be given the time-nor-day or acknowledged.

^^^^^^^ Either that, or we just make dyke jokes ^^^^^^^^

jbrown84
04-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Lol Bdp

okclee
04-17-2007, 11:56 AM
That is the worst looking man/woman that I have ever seen. There is no doubt that is the same person, I mean look at the cheesy smile.

y_h
04-17-2007, 12:12 PM
I find it quite ironic that a state senator from the home of Microsoft has failed to realize that a snide, provincial wisecrack meant to pander to the homers within their own political district is now readily and immediately accessible to the entire world (including the region intended for belittlement) via that newfangled contraption known as the internet. Her remarks betray either a gross lack of foresight or a serious lack of political sense. And I agree with the prior posters who have pointed out her stupidity in hurling an ill-informed, condescending lightly veiled insult at the home base for the Sonics' entire ownership group.

Although she may have figured her comments would have minimal local political downside, if Bennett and his group cite her dismissive comments as one of the principal reasons why they felt the deck was stacked against them it could come home to haunt her. Suddenly she'll be the face behind the repudiation of Seattle.

And really, that'd be a shame now, wouldn't it?

bombermwc
04-18-2007, 03:04 PM
That is the worst looking man/woman that I have ever seen. There is no doubt that is the same person, I mean look at the cheesy smile.

Easy there. Remember that she is still someone's mom, maybe grandma too. We wouldn't like it if someone called our relatives names, so let's be better than that. Besides, that's not the point here.

Spartan
04-18-2007, 04:43 PM
We wouldn't like it if someone called our relatives names,

You do know what she said about me and you, right?

Karried
04-18-2007, 04:47 PM
She drew first blood...

ha,ha.. I'm kidding.. I just pictured her for a minute in Rambo gear hiking through the Seattle forests..lol