View Full Version : Urban Outfiters coming to Omaha's budding North Downtown entertainment district..

Omaha Cowboy
04-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Something that can work in OKC as well..From today's Omaha World-Herald:

'Urban Outfitters will open a store this fall in the Saddle Creek Records complex at 14th and Cuming Streets, marking the first time in two decades that a major national clothing retailer will operate in Omaha's downtown area.

The Philadelphia-based company - known for selling hip clothes, shoes, accessories, gifts and home décor in college towns and major cities - will occupy an 8,500-square-foot, two-story space between the locally owned Blue Line Coffee and an unleased restaurant space in the independent record label's north building.

Landing an established national retailer in the developing area is a major coup for both Saddle Creek Records and the city, label executives and the mayor's office said.

"As we redevelop north downtown, we're hoping for a lot of mixed-use projects that will include retail, office and living spaces," said Paul Landow, chief of staff to Mayor Mike Fahey, who was traveling Thursday and unavailable for comment. "That's what makes the Urban Outfitters' move so important - they're a major national retailer who will serve as an anchor for future development."

Two national retail analysts say the decision by a company with a successful track record shows that Urban Outfitters sees promise in the developing urban area.

"I'm sure they're going to Omaha planning on being wildly successful," said Doug Fleener, president of the Lexington, Mass.,-based Dynamic Experiences Group, a retail consulting firm. "It sounds to me like they could revitalize that area."

Urban Outfitters, which signed a lease in January, will open its Omaha store sometime this fall, said Saddle Creek Records President Robb Nansel and label manager Jason Kulbel.

An Urban Outfitters spokeswoman confirmed that the store will be in the Saddle Creek complex but was unable Thursday to provide further details.

Kulbel and Nansel said Urban Outfitters gives the complex a national presence and a stamp of approval for people like west Omaha parents who might have worried about dropping off their kids in a part of town with unfamiliar businesses.

"They could've gone elsewhere, to Village Pointe," Nansel said. "But they came to this area."

Urban Outfitters operates 106 Urban Outfitters stores in the United States, Canada and Europe, according to the company's Web site. It also has 93 Anthropologie stores. Free People, its wholesale segment, sells to about 1,500 specialty and department stores and eight Free People stores. Each brand also sells its products through a catalog and Web site.'..

Omaha's budding North Downtown entertainment district:

'What's happening on 14th Street
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plans are shaping up for the Saddle Creek Records complex south of 14th and Cuming Streets. Here's a rundown:

South building, 14th and Webster Streets

• Saddle Creek Records offices and warehouse: opening late May. The independent record label's headquarters will have enough room for its eight employees and future expansion.

• Slowdown: opening late May. The music venue will feature concerts accommodating several hundred people.

• Ruth Sokolof Theater at Film Streams: opening late July. The nonprofit group Film Streams will operate two screens - one showing first-run independent, foreign and art-house films, the second showing retrospectives of older and classic films.

• Live-work spaces: unleased, available starting in late May. Two two-story bays offer flexible uses for potential tenants such as an artist operating a studio or gallery downstairs while living upstairs.

North building (14th Street, south of Cuming)

• Blue Line Coffee: opening late July or early August. The Dundee coffee shop's second location will serve coffee, cafe fare and alcohol, and plans to be open after-hours.

• Urban Outfitters: opening fall 2007. The Philadelphia-based company will sell clothes, shoes, accessories, gifts and home décor in a two-story space.

• Restaurant: unleased, opening late summer or fall. A 3,700-square-foot space will house a restaurant.

• Apartments: unleased, available in September. Of the seven apartments, five are one-story apartments above Urban Outfitters, and two are two-story apartments above the restaurant.'..

The complete World-Herald story link:

Omaha.com Lifestyles Section (http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1219&u_sid=2364758)

I thought some of you would be interested in what's happening in your neighbor to the north..:smile: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

jbrown84
04-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Definitely confirms that they might be interested in an Automobile Alley location, or at least Bricktown.

Omaha Cowboy
04-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Definitely confirms that they might be interested in an Automobile Alley location, or at least Bricktown.

I completely agree!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

metro
04-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Not to mention the email I posted from them awhile back saying they were looking for a location in OKC.

Spartan
04-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Well we've all been advocating that Cheesecake Factory, IKEA, Urban Outfitters, and Whole Foods were just around the corner. Cheesecake Factory opened last year and Whole Foods may be just around the corner. Urban Outfitters would probably be next.

y_h
04-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Not unless more retail (of any stripe - local or national) gets there first. I can tell you from experience that Urban Outfitters will locate in a retail district but they won't necessarily start one of their own initiative.

Urban Outfitters spent five or so years scouting the St. Louis market for a location. It was first believed that they were going into the Delmar Loop, a trendy, youth-centric cultural district where the City of St. Louis meets the eastern suburbs of St. Louis County. It would have been an extremely logical choice, however the district is keyed more toward entertainment and dining venues (most of which don't generate their heaviest traffic until after 8 p.m.) and has very little soft-goods retail presence. Accordingly, they never moved in. Other options they were looking at included the Central West End and the downtown Loft District, each of which would have made a lot of sense given the foot traffic of their intended market, however not unlike the Delmar Loop, much of that foot traffic is generated after traditional retail hours.

When UO finally opened up shop in St. Louis they did so at the Galleria, a suburban shopping mall about a ten minute drive from the Loop and CWE and about 20 minutes from downtown - still reasonably close to the outposts of their target market but even closer to where the most pocketbooks jingle from 9-9.

Seems to me that a Bricktown or Automobile Alley location would only make sense if there's going to be other retail tenants in the vicinity. If not, be fully prepared to visit your local Urban Outfitters at Penn Square Mall.

jbrown84
04-17-2007, 01:40 PM
But it seems in Omaha they are entering a development in an up and coming area as the first retail tenant.

metro
04-17-2007, 03:32 PM
exactly what jbrown said, this area in Omaha is very similar to Automobile Alley and the NW 10th Midtown corridor. Don't forget there is a CD Warehouse and Red Prime Steakhouse opening up, Java Daves, and others in the works.

jbrown84
04-17-2007, 03:43 PM
There's also a bike shop coming online, and very likely groud floor retail in Banta's buildings.

y_h
04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
But it seems in Omaha they are entering a development in an up and coming area as the first retail tenant.

Very true, however the industry expert interviewed in that article also indicated that it would be very unusual for them to go in there unless there was an understanding that they would not be going in alone. They may be the first to open up shop, but clearly there's an understanding that more retailers will be coming later on.

Look, I think it would be great to see Oklahoma City develop an urban shopping district - just understand that this wouldn't be the first time UO has come extremely close to leasing in an emerging area only to pull out when no other retailers made similar commitments. Even though Urban Outfitters holds no appeal for my tastes (I tend to hew more towards the Harold's and Mr. Ooley's schools of apparel) this would be a very nice addition to the OKC retail scene and hopefully will spark an urban retail renaissance in what looks to be a very promising and exciting area. I hope it works out!

jbrown84
04-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Frankly, there isn't room in Penn Square, so it's either a downtown/midtown location or Edmond.

Patrick
04-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, Penn Square currently has a waiting list a mile long.

jbrown84
04-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Any ideas who's on that list, Patrick? I know there appears to be a good size empty space on the northeast corner on the upper level of the rotunda--there are a couple others with stores moving around (Limited Too, Bath & Body Works), but this one doesn't say what will take the space. Also the Cold Stone Creamery closed and that space is open.

I would love to see the theatre close and that space be taken by H&M. It's the perfect size.

HOT ROD
04-18-2007, 12:08 AM
^ that would be awesome, as would having UO anchor in A-Alley.

I suspect, if OKC does get or should I say - when OKC does get the SONICS and STORM, it will be MUCH easier to land these higher end and upscale retailiers.

But it is a little dissappointing that OMAHA (500K less than OKC) would be considered first. Hopefully, this will all change soon (no offense to Omaha).

Spartan
04-18-2007, 01:11 AM
You're right. And Omaha's a great city, but .... so is OKC.

We only have one problem: Major lack of retail space. Penn Square, Quail Springs, Downtown, Edmond, Norman, they're all full. There is very little available retail space for something like this. Ideally I think UO will end up on Oklahoma Avenue or on Harrison, but there's no telling because they are NOT currently in any contact with the city, the chamber, nor DT OKC. I can attest to that.

jbrown84
04-18-2007, 08:30 AM
There's a glut of available retail space. It's just not upscale enough for UO.

metro
04-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Spartan, what is your justification saying that downtown retail space is full? There is plenty of space left in downtown, as well as Quail Springs not to mention all the space coming online in AA and Midtown. Also, I've personally emailed UO several times and they said they are seriously looking at the OKC market. Perhaps its time we email them again for an updaet.

jbrown84
04-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah, there's plenty of good spots for them in downtown or midtown, but our upscale retail space is pretty full elsewhere.

Omaha Cowboy
04-18-2007, 08:49 AM
But it is a little dissappointing that OMAHA (500K less than OKC) would be considered first. Hopefully, this will all change soon (no offense to Omaha).

According to the US Census 2006 MSA population estimates, the actual MSA popualtion difference between the 2 cities is 349,790. When you add Lincoln NE into the mix, only 50 miles away (which by the way, most in the retail industry do these days) the popualtion of the combined Omaha-Lincoln area is 1,142,690..

The point is, Omaha performs like a 1 million plus metro and is looked upon by the most in the retail industry as being in the same metro classification as OKC..Which is why Whole Foods Market opened in Omaha 2 years ago..California Pizza Kitchen over one year ago, and Omaha's Cheesecake Factory about the same time as OKC's..And why UO plans to open in Omaha this year..

I know OKC is larger, but not significantly larger than Omaha..Certainly not significant enough to generate much differece in the eyes of most in the retail industry..Both cities 'perform' at the same level..

There's no reason to be dissapointed with that..

Besides, it looks like OKC will get an NBA franchise well before Omaha will. I'd be more estatic with that to tell you the truth..

:tiphat: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

jbrown84
04-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Besides, it looks like OKC will get an NBA franchise well before Omaha will. I'd be more estatic with that to tell you the truth..

Fair enough.

Luke
04-18-2007, 09:38 AM
You're right. And Omaha's a great city, but .... so is OKC.

We only have one problem: Major lack of retail space. Penn Square, Quail Springs, Downtown, Edmond, Norman, they're all full. There is very little available retail space for something like this. Ideally I think UO will end up on Oklahoma Avenue or on Harrison, but there's no telling because they are NOT currently in any contact with the city, the chamber, nor DT OKC. I can attest to that.

There's plenty o' room at CrossRoads.

;)

HOT ROD
04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
According to the US Census 2006 MSA population estimates, the actual MSA popualtion difference between the 2 cities is 349,790. When you add Lincoln NE into the mix, only 50 miles away (which by the way, most in the retail industry do these days) the popualtion of the combined Omaha-Lincoln area is 1,142,690..

The point is, Omaha performs like a 1 million plus metro and is looked upon by the most in the retail industry as being in the same metro classification as OKC..Which is why Whole Foods Market opened in Omaha 2 years ago..California Pizza Kitchen over one year ago, and Omaha's Cheesecake Factory about the same time as OKC's..And why UO plans to open in Omaha this year..

I know OKC is larger, but not significantly larger than Omaha..Certainly not significant enough to generate much differece in the eyes of most in the retail industry..Both cities 'perform' at the same level..

There's no reason to be dissapointed with that..

:tiphat: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

OmahaCowboy, dont wet your shorts - Im not disappointed with Omaha.

In fact, I am amazed, impressed, and probably a little jealous at Omaha's successes. But in reality, Im quite upset with Oklahoma City actually. My comments were toward OKC moreso than any disdain for Omaha.

The fact that it takes forever for OKC to attract upscale and/or national retailiers for such a large metropolitan area makes me sick. My point in saying Omaha vs. OKC was not meant to say that Omaha should not have what it has - but instead I meant that OKC should step up to the plate and get what she deserves.

It appears that people here dont know how to effectively use their clout or demographics to get retail in here. That is disappointing and was the point of my posts.

Kudos to Omaha, but OKC needs much better improvement!!!

Oh, and 349K or 500K or thereabouts is pretty significantly larger to me. It's a shame OKC isnt doing better.

jbrown84
04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I think part of it may be the increased competition from neighboring cities. Omaha doesn't have a Dallas or even a Tulsa.

writerranger
04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
These figures, those in-the-way demographics, also play a part in Omaha's success at the retail level:

Median Income:
Oklahoma City ---------- $37,375
Omaha ------------------$40,484

Education (% with Bachelor's degree or higher):
Oklahoma City ---------- 24.0%
Omaha ----------------- 28.7%

Percentage of residents living in poverty:
Oklahoma City ----------- 18.7%
Omaha ------------------ 15.3%

These things do matter.

-------------

jbrown84
04-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Again, not a significant difference, but enough to give them a slight edge.

HOT ROD
04-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Omaha does have Lincoln and Des Moines nearby tho. But it appears their situation ist different from ours with Tulsa and Dallas.

As Cowboy said, Lincoln is sometimes considered an exurb of Omaha and really sort of adds to it unlike Tulsa which often siphons anything away from OKC it can. And Des Moines is a non-factor to Omaha unlike the bohemith to out south is to us.

Yeah, I'd say Omaha has No-Competition other than KC and it is far away enough for Omaha to still be viable in its region. Here, we have two (at least) major players to contend with but nonetheless I would expect OKC to be more creative because of the competition.

The really only thing we've done uniquely is Bricktown, but some argue it is a follow of Dallas's West End or deep Ellum.

What I'd like to see, is A-Alley truly emerge as the gritty yet upscale urban retail leader with Midtown and Flatiron as the two local town centers. I'd like to see the Arts district become a true arts district and not just a collection of municipal halls, and I'd like to see Downtown South and West Downtown develop;

All along with the CBD expansion and Bricktown (and a more urban/dense LOBRICK) not to mention a more verticle deep Duece. Add to that uptown, asia district, paseo, cap hill, capitol campus, plaza, ocu, 23rd-Eastside, Adventure District, and OHC - all should become true urban neighbourhoods with individual character, class, and amenities that make them viable.

While we have a great start with what we've done in Bricktown we should not become complacent - because we only need to look to cities smaller than us (like Omaha, Tulsa, and Little Rock to an extent) to see that we have a while to go now before we can separate ourselves from our Tier III former brotheren.

OKC is burgeoning Tier II but we really need to Continue this Renaissance (and speed it up in many cases) so that we can differentiate ourselves. I think the SONICS and the NBA will assist with that - because although the NBA brand might not be as stellar as it was 10 years ago, it is nonetheless major league and provides national exposure.

I suspect when it is announced that the SONICS are indeed moving to OKC - lots of these retailiers will open up to OKC much easier than before, ala Salt Lake City; but we need the blue prints in place to make our central city as urban and progressive as possible. Only then will OKC truly become the same league as the Denvers and Dallas's of the world.

metro
04-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Don't forget Film Row and Uptown too!

HOT ROD
04-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi Metro.

I said Uptown, and I also said West Downtown - which you could dump Film Row into part of.

metro
04-19-2007, 07:28 AM
true......oh well I'll just throw those names out there since most people aren't familiar with those districts.

BDP
04-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Is the Centennial's retail space all spoken for?

That could be a good place for Urban Outfitters, imo. It certainly would help Hogan make his stuff more legit and more like the developments he's alluded to in the past. I think it would also increase the demand to develop the other pad between Toby's and Earl's.