View Full Version : Festival of the Arts 2007

metro
04-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Since 1967, the Festival of the Arts has been Oklahoma City's rite of spring. The Festival is a community celebration of the visual arts, performing arts and culinary arts.

The 2007 Festival of the Arts takes place April 24-29, 2007 in Downtown Oklahoma City at the Festival Plaza, Stage Center and the Myriad Botanical Gardens. Hours are Tuesday – Saturday 11 a.m.-9 p.m. and Sunday 11a.m.-6 p.m. Admission is free. Pets are not allowed.

For more info go to: Home - Arts Council OKC (http://www.artscouncilokc.com)

http://www.artscouncilokc.com/Websites/41/Images/FA%2005%20Glass%20lookers.jpg

Misty
04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
One of my favorite OKC events! For the 7 years I was in Austin I always flew back to attend this with my friends, it's one of our traditions! And you just can't miss The Jewels of the Nile (bellydancers). They didn't perform last year for the first time in years, anyone know why? The lady that runs the group is a hoot, her
"grand finale" is always fun to watch.

Spartan
04-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Some of you may not know this but the Festival of the Arts is one of the nation's 3 largest arts festivals.

AFCM
04-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Some of you may not know this but the Festival of the Arts is one of the nation's 3 largest arts festivals.

I remember hearing something like that when I was a kid, but I always took it for granted. Now that I'm older, I can better appreciate having such a successful event that so many can enjoy.

Before I left for the Air Force, I was an annual performer and I'm hoping to make my return next year. I have nothing but good things to say about our Arts Council. It's hard to top the Festival of the Arts, from year to following year, but Opening Night just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to see the improved Crystal Bridge.

Spartan
04-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Well it's funny you say that because there ARE those people even in this metro that say that nothing compares to the Paseo Arts Festival.

John
04-12-2007, 01:42 AM
The best part about the Festival of the Arts is that I know what my lunch AND dinner plans are for that week! :)

jbrown84
04-12-2007, 08:14 AM
I did a news package on the Festival of the Arts in college. I interviewed several out of town artists and they all agreed that this is one of the top festivals in the country and one of them said that she sells more art here than anywhere else.

Take that, Tulsa! ;)

metro
04-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Just wanted to remind everyone the Festival started on Tuesday. Hence the rain this week!!

MadMonk
04-26-2007, 09:15 AM
I didn't realize the Festival was that old. It would be interesting to see some pics from those early events.

jbrown84
04-26-2007, 09:37 AM
It predates Myriad Gardens for sure. Where was it held in the early years?

ksearls
04-26-2007, 11:44 AM
In front of the Civic Center in what is now called Bicentennial Park.

jbrown84
04-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Oh, interesting. Thanks Kim.

CCOKC
04-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Went to the Arts Festival this evening to have my obligatory yearly Indian Taco. The crowd was good the art is good and the music was good. I went to a supposed Arts Festival in the Fall in another city and was so disappointed. It should have been called a Crafts Festival. I guess I took our Festival for granted. The artists are so diverse, come from eveywhere in the country as well as Oklahoma. I even talked to an artist from Toronto who does paper cutting. Check his booth out. There is a booth at the South end of Hudson that celebrates the Indian and Cowboy traditions of Oklahoma. Most of the art is out of my price range but it is fun to look and to talk with all of the artists and get there impressions of our fair city.

Easy180
04-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Went last night as well...Perfect weather, but not too crowded...Fish tacos were excellent as usual...Want to highly recommend the fried chicken bowl at the Boulevard Steakhouse tent....Direct ripoff of the KFC bowl w/ chicken strips, corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, but it is well worth the $6

Happy to say the food was excellent and sad to say a decent sized piece of art will still run you at least $1,500 :omg:

Martin
04-27-2007, 07:55 AM
dang... guess yesterday was the day to go. i popped by after work myself and had an excellent time. unfortunately, i'd eaten a late lunch and didn't get to experience any of the food... but the art, of course, was great. diverse is definitely the right description. there did seem to be a couple artists whose work i looked forward to seeing that were missing this year, but it was great nonetheless. -M

Turanacus
04-27-2007, 08:01 AM
everyone raves about the food... i don't get it.

Easy180
04-27-2007, 08:20 AM
everyone raves about the food... i don't get it.

It's simple really turanacus...Some rave about it cause it's good

Hope that helps :tiphat:

Turanacus
04-27-2007, 09:35 AM
well, that certainly makes sense.

Stinger
04-27-2007, 10:08 AM
there did seem to be a couple artists whose work i looked forward to seeing that were missing this year, but it was great nonetheless. -M

Bodyscapes?

Jack Wonder
04-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I drove by the festival a couple of times in the past week, but never had time to stop. What kinds of goods do they sell? I saw a lot of furniture goods. What about flee market stuff like weapons, toys, food, etc...??

jbrown84
04-27-2007, 11:40 AM
It's not a flea market.

Martin
04-27-2007, 12:27 PM
bodyscapes?

nope... i wish i could remember the artist's name, but the one i missed most seems to specialize in doing vintage era signage. -M

jbrown84
04-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Was up there briefly on my lunch break to see my friends' band play. Seemed very crowded considering the rain.

John
04-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm drawing a blank on the artists name, but the kinetic sculptures this year are awesome.

I think OKC needs to buy or comission a few of the larger buffalo to place in the Myriad Gardens or Bricktown

Jack Wonder
04-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm drawing a blank on the artists name, but the kinetic sculptures this year are awesome.

I think OKC needs to buy or comission a few of the larger buffalo to place in the Myriad Gardens or Bricktown

LMAO! That's hilarious!! ...OKC's gonna have a whole friggin' herd of fake Buffalo roaming around by the time they finish the canal!