View Full Version : The gym next door--BodyWerx Fitness

bandnerd
04-09-2007, 04:50 PM
So I visited the gym that is located in the Legacy Arts complex. I was really impressed! They don't have a website yet, so here are the specs:

24/7 keycard access
Personal training, tanning, and massage available
Brand-new awesome Cybex equipment--weight machines, arc trainers, treadmills, and stationary bikes, all with their own tvs mounted right on the machine!
Group classes, price included in the membership fee
No contracts
Full shower--single person, with shampoo,conditioner and shower soap provided in a little dispenser and a blow dryer in the bathroom
Lockers
Free weights
That nice "new gym" smell
And a very friendly owner! She gave me the very quick tour, as it is a small space. But it's really nice. The owner, Shelly, used to work at the Y for 6 years.

EFT (I don't know what that means) membership is $45+tax for one member, $80+tax for 2 in the same household. You can include the tanning in the membership price.

$65/hr for massage--which is comparable to what I've priced elsewhere for massage, and you can get hot stone, shiatsu, and deep tissue massage. It's $75/hr if you are not a member. You only have to give 24hrs notice.

There is street parking along R.S. Kerr, and at night I'm pretty sure those meters are going to be free. I, of course, don't have to worry about parking because I can walk that whole 1/4 of a block to get there ;)

Hubby's interested...but not ready to give up his membership to the Y because they have raquetball at some locations. Anyone know of a place where you can just get a raquetball membership? But the 24/7 thing could be helpful to him.

I'm afraid to give all this information, though...I don't want *everyone* to be going there ;) Haha!

I think I'm going to let my dinner digest and then head on over to sign up. I like the no contract thing. Oh, and you pay $5 for the card and a $75 sign-up but you pay a sign-up everywhere.

Here's to good health!

bandnerd
04-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Okay, so I went, I signed up, and was able to work out. You can only get in with a card at all times. The doors are never unlocked...which is nice since it's downtown and all :)

Today was their official first day, so I got my entrance fee half off!

All the people there were employees except for maybe one or two people who were there to work out. I worked out on the arc trainer next to the owner heh. Very nice lady. Then I started lifting on the machines. One of the trainers gave me some pointers, which is nice because I know they do that kind of stuff for free. Then he made me leg press 100lbs. I've never pressed that much. Ever. And I haven't done a leg press in a year. Go me!

And most of the time while lifting weights, I was all alone while the trainers were in the next room experimenting with some martial arts stuff.

Soon they will start classes. I'm thinking about the bootcamp and toning classes. They will be at 5:30 so I can just eat a lighter dinner and the hubby can have an extra snack when he gets home ;)

So far, so happy! They will have a website up soon. Their host has gone MIA for a few days.

metro
04-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Sounds good. I'm glad more gyms are coming online downtown. A little pricier than Aspen but hey, it's downtown and convenient! I'm doubting, but do you know if they have a pool/sauna/steamroom/ or hot tub? I sure would like to switch closer to downtown but I hate giving up alot more amenities elsewhere.

You might have Mid checkout this place on Wilshire just east of Rockwell. It's changed names so many times, I don't know what its called now but you can get just a raquetball membership there. Not very close to downtown though.

bandnerd
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I've seen that raquetball place. And no, it's nowhere near us :( He'll probably just keep his Y membership. Oh well.

No sauna/pool/steamroom that I know of. It's not a large place but it is friendly, clean, and quiet.

metro
04-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah for now. Hopefully the owners will keep it clean once its been there a few years unlike most gyms. I imagine the noise level will pick up once some residents move in to Legacy. Please keep us updated throughout the months. My wife and I may join once my free membership is over at Aspen this summer.