View Full Version : Be on TV show "That's Clever"

redcup
04-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Not sure where to post this so let me know if I need to request that it be moved to a better venue. Please read below. I thought someone might be interested and want to apply.

I am a producer for the Home and Garden Television show, "That's Clever!". I'm searching for unique visual artists and crafts people in the Oklahoma City area to profile on the upcoming fifth season of our show, and I thought that you might be able to help us out.

If you're not familiar with us, we are on the cable channel HGTV, and we highlight the contemporary crafting scene all over the US -- from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon. In each episode, we visit three different artists/crafters in their own homes and studios who take us through a favorite (pre-determined) piece. Projects have included glasswork of all kinds, fabric art like quilting and knitting, ceramics, metalwork including blacksmithing, leather, woodworking, mixed media, all kinds of sculpture, paper crafting and more!

I know you work with a lot of local artists, so I was hoping that you would be able to help us get in contact with as many of them as possible. And I should mention that we aren't able to feature poetry, writing, film/video projects, etc. The visual arts we feature are typically 3-D objects, although we also get into some mixed media type 2D projects. Mostly we are looking for engaging artists and crafts people who are obviously high energy and would be comfortable on camera showing us how to make one of their projects. And I'm not necessarily seeking "full time" artists -- hobbyists, art students and up-and-comers appear on our show regularly, along with full time artists.

I wouldn't ask you to give me direct contact info for folks, but perhaps you have a mailing list of artists that you could forward this e-mail to? I've attached an application with all the details an artist/artisan/crafter would need to be on the show. I've also attached a flyer you can post if you have any place for that in your space.

We'll be taping these in May and would love to get all the applications in ASAP.

Please don't hesitate to pass this info on to anyone else, or to post/publish this information in newsletters, bulletin boards, or anywhere else you want. Anyone interested can also send a request to thatsclever@wellergrossman.com to request an Oklahoma City application, and we will e-mail one back to them.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for any help you can offer!

--Lisa*

---------------
Lisa Sichi
Segment Producer, HGTVs "That's Clever"
Let's be friends! www.myspace.com/thatsclevertv (http://www.myspace.com/ThatsCleverTV)
Know folks who would like to be on the show?
Anyone can e-mail thatsclever@wellergrossman.com and ask for an application!
Here's where we're headed in the next few months:
May/June: Reno, NV; Santa Fe/Taos, NM; Oklahoma City, OK; Delaware
June/July: Memphis, TN; New Hampshire; Spokane, WA

OKLAHOMA CITY Application for HGTV’s “That’s Clever!”

Thanks for your interest in being on our show! That's Clever! is a daily, half-hour series that highlights the contemporary art and crafting scene all over North America. In each episode, we travel all over the United States and Canada to visit three different undiscovered artists/crafters in their own homes and studios who take us through the making of a favorite project. Visit HGTV : Decorating, Remodeling, Home Improvement & Gardening Ideas, Videos and more : Home & Garden Television (http://www.HGTV.com) for projects we’ve featured and local airtimes. We also have info at www.myspace.com/thatsclevertv (http://www.myspace.com/ThatsCleverTV)

Complete this application and send to LSichi@wellergrossman.com ASAP.
We fill slots as we get the applications in, and when we’re full, we’re done!
NOTE: The sooner we get your application in the better, but PLEASE make sure you send it, even if it’s a little late. We’ll start going over them and filling slots in early April and hope to get all applications in by April 23rd. But we MAY still be looking for people after that, so if you’re getting this late just e-mail me at LSichi@wellergrossman.com and ask if we still have room in OKC.
Note: we have an aggressive SPAM filter. If you get blocked, just call 818/755-4800 x169 and I can fix it for you.
And if you don’t get a reply to your application e-mail within 3 days, call to make sure it got through.

Wondering what to send? Here are a few pointers!
--Only one person can be on camera per project; no teams or duos. If you’re part of a team, each of you should submit a separate application with different projects for each of you.
--Complex is good! We aren’t necessarily looking for quick and easy projects. We’re looking for projects with interesting techniques that have a little “meat” to them. Send in a few project options using a range of materials and/or techniques, and be sure to include your most complicated project so that we can see how far you can go. We also love projects that combine mediums – for instance, a project with both blown glass and welded metal is always fun to watch someone make!
--Painters: Unfortunately straight painting doesn’t work well for our show. But we do like projects that incorporate painting along with other materials and techniques that are fun to watch you create.
--Photographers: Unfortunately straight photography doesn’t work well for our show. But we do like projects that use photos you’ve already taken that are then incorporated with other materials.
--Jewelry artists: We prefer projects in which some element of the piece is wholly crafted by you out of raw materials. Think metal, clay, glass, or stone that is cast, fused, riveted, enameled, etc.
--Stitchers: The best projects usually involve a few stitching techniques along with other processes such as dying, hand-made embellishments out of other mediums (clay, beads, metal, etc.) or unique construction/assembly that’s fun to watch you do. No-sew options are good too!
--Holidays: Have a clever HALLOWEEN or HOLIDAY project? We want to hear about it! Include it, as well as non-holiday projects, in your application!

Type your answers next to the questions RIGHT IN THIS DOCUMENT
and then e-mail it to us an attached Word for Windows document or RTF document.

EVERYONE: Put your state abbreviation, your city and your own name in the subject line of your
e-mail. For example, if your name is Carrie Ohn, you write “NY, Brooklyn, Carrie Ohn”.

Send completed application to LSichi@wellergrossman.com ASAP.
Note: we have an aggressive SPAM filter – if you get blocked by it, just call 818/755-4800 x169 and I can fix it for you.
And if you send an application and don't hear back within 2 business days, call 818/755-4800 x169 to make sure I got it.

You MUST attach 3 things to your e-mail. (1) your completed application, (2) pictures of your projects and (3) a current photo of you (taken within a year). Simple .jpgs please – nothing fancy!
We cannot move forward with the application process without these items.

NOTE: If you do not live within a ONE HOUR drive of downtown Oklahoma City, please e-mail thatsclever@wellergrossman.com and request an application for your area.

GENERAL INFO
1-Name (only one person can be featured):
2-Age:
3-Website address:
4-Email address you check most (if you don’t check it daily, how often?):
5-Phone numbers (indicate home/work/cell/etc.):
6-Occupation(s) if other than full time artist/crafter:
7-Where do you sell your artwork (if anywhere) – Online, Galleries, Shows/Festivals?
8-Has your work been featured in newspapers or magazines?
9-Have you & your work ever been featured on TV? If so, was it local or national, and what year(s)?
10-How did you find out about this artist search? If online, what site/newletter/group/blog?

LOGISTICS INFO
11-What kind of space do you create your work in? (studio, garage, basement, kitchen table)?
12-FULL address of workspace where we will be filming you, with ZIP CODE:
13-Do you OWN or RENT this space?
14-How long will it take us to drive to your work space from downtown Oklahoma City?
We plan on videotaping in Oklahoma City from May 15th to 29th, 2007.
15-Please list ANY days between 5/15/2007 and 5/29/2007 that you will NOT be available for taping:

PROJECT SUBMISSION INFO:
NOTE: Have a HALLOWEEN or WINTER HOLIDAY project? (Including Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, etc.? We need a few of those too so include them, as well as non-holiday projects, here!

PHOTOS: IN YOUR E-MAIL (not in this document) please attach the following photos, in .jpg format.
(A) a clear picture of yourself taken within the last year, with you facing the camera and smiling ;-)
(B) ONE clear picture of each project you want us to consider. If you have color/size/style variations of the projects, feel free to send up to three variations (one photo of each) that you’d like us to consider.
Make sure the pictures are in focus and that we can see the entire project. We don’t need multiple angles or anything; one picture of each project is fine to start. If we need more, we’ll let you know!
NOTE: Applications without photos cannot be considered.

Please name each type of project you’d like us to consider (such as “Carved and Stained Wood Ottoman” or “Metal and Silk Necklace” or “Fused Glass Mosaic” or “Sgrafitto Vessel”).
Then, please describe the basic steps of how each type of project is made, including major materials and tools used in the project, and a brief description of the major techniques. Just a quick list or a few paragraphs is fine for now; we’ll get more detailed instructions later if your project is selected.
And make sure to describe the most unusual/unique/interesting techniques you use in each project!
Name of Project type 1–
Basic Steps, Tools, and Materials for Project type 1:

Name of Project type 2 –
Basic Steps, Tools, and Materials for Project type 2:

Name of Project type 3 –
Basic Steps, Tools, and Materials for Project type 3:

Please note: Besides letting you know we received your initial application e-mail, I can’t keep everyone individually updated. We will only get back to you if we would like more information on you & your projects. You may hear from us soon, or your info may be kept on file for consideration for upcoming seasons. Thank you for applying, and good luck!