View Full Version : Applications being taken for new Downtown Review Committee

Pete
04-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Some of you locals should apply!

If I still lived in the area, I would definitely take a crack at this. Looks like the proposed composition is right on the mark.

OKC mayor spearheads new Downtown Review Committee

Heidi Rambo Centrella
4/4/2007

Mayor Mick Cornett is seeking applicants to participate in a Downtown Review Committee which will change the organizational structure of the city’s Urban Design Commission.

On May 1, Cornett says the newly formed committee will be in place to give the design criteria for the geographical area stretching from Classen Boulevard to the west side of Interstate-235 and from the north side of Oklahoma River to one-half block north of NW 13 Street.

Bricktown will be excluded as it has its own design committee. However, MidTown, which currently falls under Urban Design Commission’s domain, will be included.

“The Urban Design Commission stays in effect, but MidTown is coming out of it and going into the Downtown Review Committee,” he said. “Almost, if not all of the people, who were on the Urban Design Commission were really MidTown people, so we’re having to come up with new members for both because those people are no longer appropriate to be on the Urban Design Commission.”

Urban Design Commission will still include Capitol Hill, Plaza District, 23rd Street and Asian District, Cornett said, but not the Central Business District nor the areas surrounding the CBD.

“We will also be coming up with a design commission for the river,” he said. “That will probably be later this year.”

Cornett says he is seeking more architects to be on the new design committee in an effort to “raise the standards of design.”

Three members would be a combination of registered architects, landscape architects, urban planners or licensed civil engineers; two members would be licensed real estate professionals; one member would be a member of the Urban Design Commission; and one member would be a resident of Oklahoma City. Terms would last three years and meetings would be held monthly.

jbrown84
04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm a little confused. Why isn't the CBD including in the Downtown Review Committee??

And what is the Urban Design Commission?

Pete
04-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Urban Design Commission is the existing organization that will continue on for Capitol Hill, Plaza District, 23rd Street and the Asian District.

The new Downtown Review Committee will encompass the CBD & Midtown but not Bricktown, which has it's own review committee.

Both organizations need members.

jbrown84
04-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for straightening that out. I found it very confusing in the article.

metro
04-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Urban Design Commission is the existing organization that will continue on for Capitol Hill, Plaza District, 23rd Street and the Asian District.

The new Downtown Review Committee will encompass the CBD & Midtown but not Bricktown, which has it's own review committee.

Both organizations need members.

Yes, exactly as Malibu has said. And thanks for posting this by the way. It's been on the city's website for almost a month now and I keep forgetting to post it. I applied. Hopefully one of us OKCTalker's will get on!:congrats:

okrednk
04-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Good luck Metro, maybe drop some hints or let the voices be heard. :)

metro
04-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Feel free to nominate an OKCTalker and fill out the form as a nomination or send an email to the lady handling these applications if you don't feel called to run all. A fresh voice with a concerned, involved perspective is what we need. I'd love to have one of us on there!

HOT ROD
04-06-2007, 05:10 AM
Yes, I do hope that many of you apply. If I were a city resident, I would.

We need to get some new, young blood in the planning of Downtown Oklahoma City. We can not continue to settle for mediocracy. I dont care if downtown is not as vibrant as our peer cities yet. None of them would settle for the laxadazical (sp) development that has been built in the city centre.

Im all for residences and rooftops, but they should look urban in the downtown core - and I have YET to see anything yet built that's urban.

Pete
04-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Go get 'em, Metro!

As writerranger pointed out in another thread, you are to be commended for the way you back up your words with actions.

If more of us did the same, OKC would be a better place for it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

metro
04-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks, and I encourage/support anyone else who applies as well. It's not a matter of who gets on, just that someone passionate and visionary and that will follow through with action does!

jbrown84
04-06-2007, 03:20 PM
If anyone here should/would get it, it would be you metro.