View Full Version : Rock the Vote today!

metro
04-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Don't forget to vote if you live in these areas.

Polls will open at 7 a.m. for today's elections

Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. today for metro area voters to decide on various city races, sales tax issues and school bond initiatives.
School bond issues are on the ballot in the Harrah, Mustang, Piedmont and Western Heights school districts, while school board races are up for vote in Kingfisher and Earlsboro.

Town trustee and city council races include: Ward 5 in Oklahoma City; Ward 3 in The Village; Ward 2 in Spencer; Ward 3 in Harrah; Ward 2 in Jones; Ward 1 in Bethel Acres; Ward 1 in McLoud; and Office 5 in Forest Park.

Voters in Harrah will also choose a mayor, while residents in Jones will vote for three trustees.

The town of Pink has a permanent 3-cent tax on the ballot. The tax would be used for town operation and improvements.

jbrown84
04-03-2007, 08:04 AM
How did you forget the Edmond mayoral election?

metro
04-03-2007, 08:28 AM
I didn't forget it, this is an article from the Daily Oklahoman. (enough said)

jbrown84
04-03-2007, 08:30 AM
How did they forget it? It's a pretty heated race, and includes disgraced former State Rep. Wayne Pettigrew.

Tim
04-03-2007, 08:37 AM
As well as an Edmond Ward 1 rematch between incumbent Wayne Page and challenger LeRoy Cartwright (who's minions were out knocking down signs at 5:00 this morning) and a Ward 2 battle between Elizabeth Waner and Mark Hoose. Funfunfun!!!

jbrown84
04-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Unfortunately I keep forgetting to change my registration back to Edmond.

Tim
04-03-2007, 08:56 AM
That's OK, just make your check payable to "Page4Council" or "Citizens of Edmond PAC". Or just PM me and I'll come pick up cash!:tiphat:

Spartan
04-03-2007, 05:32 PM
I just can't wait for the GOP primary...

Giuliani: Check.

PUGalicious
04-03-2007, 06:20 PM
I just can't wait for the GOP primary...

Giuliani: Check.

Crook: Check.

Spartan
04-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Oh, you should have said so.

Christian Conservatism: Check.

Puking: Check.

mranderson
04-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Don't forget to vote if you live in these areas.

Polls will open at 7 a.m. for today's elections

Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. today for metro area voters to decide on various city races, sales tax issues and school bond initiatives.
School bond issues are on the ballot in the Harrah, Mustang, Piedmont and Western Heights school districts, while school board races are up for vote in Kingfisher and Earlsboro.

Town trustee and city council races include: Ward 5 in Oklahoma City; Ward 3 in The Village; Ward 2 in Spencer; Ward 3 in Harrah; Ward 2 in Jones; Ward 1 in Bethel Acres; Ward 1 in McLoud; and Office 5 in Forest Park.

Voters in Harrah will also choose a mayor, while residents in Jones will vote for three trustees.

The town of Pink has a permanent 3-cent tax on the ballot. The tax would be used for town operation and improvements.

If the tax issue in Pink is approved, I wonder what they will do with that extra one dollar per year.

Easy180
04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
If the tax issue in Pink is approved, I wonder what they will do with that extra one dollar per year.

Good one mranderson :Smiley051

SoonerDave
04-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Upset:

Newcomer Brian Walters has upended favorite George T. Washington for the Oklahoma City Ward 5 seat vacated by Jerry Foshee. Walters defeated Washingon in today's runoff by a 2,001-1,790 count.

-soonerdave

mranderson
04-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Upset:

Newcomer Brian Walters has upended favorite George T. Washington for the Oklahoma City Ward 5 seat vacated by Jerry Foshee. Walters defeated Washingon in today's runoff by a 2,001-1,790 count.

-soonerdave

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:

That prooves my point that ward five does not like Jerry Foshee.

andy157
04-03-2007, 10:41 PM
mranderson you've proven yourself to be wrong once again. Not all of Ward dislikes Jerry Foshee,unless of course your all of Ward 5. Hey I've got a great idea why don't you run against Jerry in the next Senate race. Didn't I read somewhere that you had planned to challenge him for his Council seat but something kept you from it? I cant recall what your excuse was, nows your chance to step up and take him out once and for all. Just curious, did Jerry beat you up when you were kids?

metro
04-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Newcomer takes Ward 5 seat

By John Estus
Staff Writer

South Oklahoma City voters picked a spirited newcomer Tuesday over a City Hall veteran to be their next city councilman.
Brian Walters, 31, an optical outlet operator, narrowly defeated former Ward 5 Planning Commissioner George Washington.

"Government is supposed to be of the people, by the people and for the people, and I'm just one of the people,” Walters said. "I just want to be the same guy that I was before.”

Walters had 2,001 votes, or 52.8 percent, to Washington's 1,790 votes, or 47.2 percent.

The win shocked political observers who thought Washington would easily succeed his friend and former Ward 5 Councilman Jerry Foshee.

Washington lost despite an endorsement from Foshee — who didn't draw an opponent in his 14 years on the Council — and a sizeable lead in campaign donations.

"I want to wish Brian the best of luck and I hope that south Oklahoma City will continue the growth that it's accustomed to,” Washington said.

Walters championed himself as a voice of the people instead of a business-as-usual politician during the campaign, while Washington used his experience on the planning commission and high-profile endorsements to woo voters.

Walters said he has a steep learning curve ahead.

"This is new to me. I'm not a politician,” he said

Last month, Washington was just 12 votes shy of winning the seat without a runoff.

"I've never seen anything like this. He goes from 12 votes to getting beat,” said Ron Black, a political analyst and Washington campaign supporter. "It was surprising.”

metro
04-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Good one mranderson :Smiley051

Yeah, I gotta give that one to mranderson. pretty funny. how could the Oklahoman cover the town of "Pink" in metro area elections when its not even in the metro, yet they forget Edmond??? I knew I don't subscribe for a reason.

Tim
04-04-2007, 08:08 AM
The watch party fog is lifting, and the results are as follows; Mayor-Dan O'Neil, Ward 1 City Council-Wayne Page and Ward 2 Council-Elizabeth Waner. By all accounts the negative campaign tactics really hurt Pettigrew, Cartwright and Hoose. Nothing against them as individuals, but I really think people are sick and tired of mudslinging!

jbrown84
04-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Are those 3 all the anti-development ones? I know O'Neil is.

Easy180
04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
A win for us 30 somethings!!...Time for us to start doing all this grown up stuff like politics, benefitting society, being responsible etc...

All those non - fun things

Congrats Brian...Way to take down tha man

Would be funny being a fly on the wall in the Washington house when the results came in

mranderson
04-04-2007, 04:02 PM
mranderson you've proven yourself to be wrong once again. Not all of Ward dislikes Jerry Foshee,unless of course your all of Ward 5. Hey I've got a great idea why don't you run against Jerry in the next Senate race. Didn't I read somewhere that you had planned to challenge him for his Council seat but something kept you from it? I cant recall what your excuse was, nows your chance to step up and take him out once and for all. Just curious, did Jerry beat you up when you were kids?

When a person lives in a different district it is illegal to run. So, I think I will pass on your suggestion. Plus. I am not "wrong." Nor am I incorrect. I lived in ward five many years and know the area a lot better than most. Trust me. Like it or not, I am quite correct. Very few people like Jerry Foshee, and they proved it last night. If they liked the guy, they would have elected his puppet, George Washington.

By the way. The ONLY reason I did not run against round boy is because I want a MAPS III and the increase in the hotel/motel tax was being planned. Plus, MAPS for kids is not paid yet. The time was not right. I took many polls and found I could have beaten him by a landslide.

I only met Foshee once. And he lied like a dog when we did meet. He is several years older than me and was not raised in my neighborhood. So, you do the math on your rediculous thought of his pugilistic talent... IF he had any.

You may choose not to believe me, and that is your right. However, you are not me, you do not have my mind, therefore you can not read my mind. So, please keep your accusations against me to yourself. Thank you.

mranderson
04-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I gotta give that one to mranderson. pretty funny. how could the Oklahoman cover the town of "Pink" in metro area elections when its not even in the metro, yet they forget Edmond??? I knew I don't subscribe for a reason.

Actually, I believe Pink IS in the metro area. It is near Shawnee, in fact, I think slightly west, which places it metro.

jbrown84
04-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Actually, I believe Pink IS in the metro area. It is near Shawnee, in fact, I think slightly west, which places it metro.

But the argument still stands. Pink (pop. 1,165) gets mentioned and Edmond does not???

Tim
04-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Are those 3 all the anti-development ones? I know O'Neil is.
GRRRR! OK, let me explain this one more time. Dan, Wayne and Elizabeth are not "anti-development". They are "anti-stupid development". The natural order dictates that developers must try to build as cheap as possible and sell as high as possible. That's just business. Community activists and public servants must ensure that the developers adhere to community standards and force them to build quality projects. That's their job. The balance must exist, or very bad things happen. These three have spent years struggling to ensure that citizens voices are give the same respect as the developers. Sorry 'bout the grrrr, the opposition has spent a fortune trying to convince our voters that these candidates will cause the destruction of Edmond and it just ain't so!

PUGalicious
04-04-2007, 05:05 PM
GRRRR! OK, let me explain this one more time. Dan, Wayne and Elizabeth are not "anti-development". They are "anti-stupid development". The natural order dictates that developers must try to build as cheap as possible and sell as high as possible. That's just business. Community activists and public servants must ensure that the developers adhere to community standards and force them to build quality projects. That's their job. The balance must exist, or very bad things happen. These three have spent years struggling to ensure that citizens voices are give the same respect as the developers. Sorry 'bout the grrrr, the opposition has spent a fortune trying to convince our voters that these candidates will cause the destruction of Edmond and it just ain't so!
:congrats::congrats::congrats: EXACTLY!

andy157
04-04-2007, 10:49 PM
mranderson, If a person truly wanted to run for an elected office in a particular Council ward or a certain senate district, I would think they (you) could always move their primary residence into the appropriate boundry lines prior to the filing period. Now your legal. By the way, my idea that you run against Jerry was really more of a challenge than a suggestion.

I never claimed you to be incorrect. I said you were wrong. And based on your "proves my point that ward 5 does not like Jerry Foshee" statement, I'll stand by mine. Your wrong. You may have once lived in ward 5, but I still do. And have done so consistently since 1954. I will agree there are a few people that don't like Jerry, but I know quite a few that do. Me for one. So, like it or not you are in fact incorrect. Trust me. It does seem that you know a lot of things better than most, at least you seem to think you do.

Frankly mranderson had I voted for Mr. Walters which I did not, I would be insulted for you to suggest my vote was cast against Jerry and not for Mr. Walters. You really should give the man some credit for his hard work and for running a good race. You do realize Jerry wasn't running don't you?

George Washington is a good man,a good husband and father who has served the citizens of ward 5 and the City by actually contributing his time unlike your lip service. Regarding your referring to George as a puppet I could get mad and say a lot mean things but why waste time on the pitiful comment of a pitiful person

I guess I was right by thinking I had read somewhere of your plans to run for City Council. It's true what they say "timing is everything" what a tragic loss to we citizens that the ONLY reason(s) that kept you from becoming a great leader had to occur all at one time.(over a 10 year period). I assure you Jerry is totally unaware of just how close he was to the complete and total pounding he escaped had fate not kept you out of the race.

The "did he beat you up" question was uncalled for and I apologize. Your right I failed to take age difference into consideration before asking my question. Pertaining to the one and only meeting you had with Jerry where you claim he lied to you, since you've not offered any details and as you stated I do have the right to choose if I believe you or not. Not.

I'm not you. I'm glad. I do not have your mind. I'm more glad. Don't care to read your mind, never cared much for fiction anyway. Dont confuse observations with accusations. Your welcome.

PUGalicious
04-05-2007, 04:29 AM
:omg: MrA, you just got served! :cool18:

mranderson
04-05-2007, 05:20 AM
"I never claimed you to be incorrect. I said you were wrong. And based on your "proves my point that ward 5 does not like Jerry Foshee" statement, I'll stand by mine. Your wrong. You may have once lived in ward 5, but I still do. And have done so consistently since 1954. I will agree there are a few people that don't like Jerry, but I know quite a few that do. Me for one. So, like it or not you are in fact incorrect. Trust me. It does seem that you know a lot of things better than most, at least you seem to think you do."

In the eyes of the majority of people, the word "wrong" MEANS incorrect. I am neither wrong nor incorrect. I have been around politics longer than most on this site have been alive, and was taught by numerous politicians how to track (follow), predict, and stage poltical races. There is no huiman alive that can or has the authority to tell me how to do this. I do not "think" I know more than most, I KNOW I know more than most. I learned from people ranging from my dad who handled numerous VERY successful politicians, all the way to the late UNITED STATES SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE, the late Carl Albert. Every one of these people taught me more about poltics than any series of University professors ever could imagine.

I could care less about how long YOU have claimed to follow a certain ward. I was raised around these people. I doubt you were.

I say Foshee has been disliked for a long time, and will be wiped out poltically when he tries to run for Senate. I know of no other reason he could have asked for a meeting with me to try and talk me out of running against him other than he knew he could and probably would lose. Did his ploy work? No. He and people like you probably think so, however, it did not. I had already made the decision not to run.

And on your comment about moving into his Senate district. I am perfectly aware that I could move. I do not need a novice telling me that. It happens to be that I choose not to sell a home that is worth three times what I paid for it 16 months ago, plus in a much higher income area than anywhere in Foshee's district.

Easy180
04-05-2007, 07:26 AM
"

And on your comment about moving into his Senate district. I am perfectly aware that I could move. I do not need a novice telling me that. It happens to be that I choose not to sell a home that is worth three times what I paid for it 16 months ago, plus in a much higher income area than anywhere in Foshee's district.

3X as much over a year and a half?...Are you part of the Make Yourself Rich infomercials?....Do you have ads in newspapers across the country that bring in $20,000 a month for you as well??

Possibly a slight exaggeration there MrA unless your house is in San Diego or Frisco...Good old Oklahoma prices just don't do that....Think you may want to check the credentials of the realtor that told you that

(I say this knowing you have lived longer than I)

jbrown84
04-05-2007, 08:19 AM

I hope you're right. I'm all for it, I just don't want to see every development shot down by the new administration. Can you give me an example of a development they were not opposed to?

metro
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM
But the argument still stands. Pink (pop. 1,165) gets mentioned and Edmond does not???

exactly my point jbrown!

actually Pink is directly west of Norman, SSW of Shawnee. I don't believe this area is counted in MSA populations but I could be incorrect. Either way that wasn't my point. You rarely if ever hear the town of Pink mentioned as a metro suburb ( I never have heard it considered as a suburb).

andy157
04-05-2007, 08:30 AM
mranderson, WOW, What was I thinking? Had I not been such a politicle novice I would have known to, and done a little bit more due dilegence research on your extensive background. I never knew just how powerful and well connected you really are. I am truly humbled. And congratulations on your resent financial/real estate ventures. Quite a succsess story coming from a one time dog catcher.

mranderson
04-05-2007, 05:10 PM
mranderson, WOW, What was I thinking? Had I not been such a politicle novice I would have known to, and done a little bit more due dilegence research on your extensive background. I never knew just how powerful and well connected you really are. I am truly humbled. And congratulations on your resent financial/real estate ventures. Quite a succsess story coming from a one time dog catcher.

I have never been a "dog catcher.' I was an animal control officer. There is a difference. Try looking in a dictonary or an internet research and you will see.

mranderson
04-05-2007, 05:13 PM
3X as much over a year and a half?...Are you part of the Make Yourself Rich infomercials?....Do you have ads in newspapers across the country that bring in $20,000 a month for you as well??

Possibly a slight exaggeration there MrA unless your house is in San Diego or Frisco...Good old Oklahoma prices just don't do that....Think you may want to check the credentials of the realtor that told you that

(I say this knowing you have lived longer than I)

No exaggeration, nor in San Diego. I do not know where "Frisco" is. The way I got it is private and will not be revealed.

Tim
04-06-2007, 07:14 AM
I hope you're right. I'm all for it, I just don't want to see every development shot down by the new administration. Can you give me an example of a development they were not opposed to?

Depends on how you define "opposed". (I know, I sound like Bill Clinton) An example would be the ENA involvement in the Spring Creek Plaza project. The original site plan was developed WITH ENA input. This development is constantly held up as an example of what can happen when developers work with community members to produce quality projects.

Easy180
04-06-2007, 07:29 AM
No exaggeration, nor in San Diego. I do not know where "Frisco" is. The way I got it is private and will not be revealed.

Well either you screwed over someone or you are embellishing the truth

Won't say which of the two options I am going with

Congrats on your outstanding investment

MadMonk
04-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Does anyone have a link that shows the results of all the elections around town?