View Full Version : Lofts at Maywood Park

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

wsucougz
09-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Great news!

Is it really any surprise how much faster the Lofts are filling up as opposed to the Brownstones (or worse yet, The Hill)?

The Brownstones are awesome. I am surprised that there hasn't been more interest.

Steve
09-12-2009, 04:45 PM
If the Brownstones were Dallas-style homes like the thousands built in far nw and sw OKC, they'd be sold out. But then they wouldn't be very special, now would they? I think the developers of the Brownstones would be the first to admit they're not for everyone. But there have been some buyers and they seem pretty happy owning homes that aren't like anything else in this city.

gsan
09-12-2009, 04:54 PM
The Brownstones are all over 600k. They will sell and they are a great addition to Downtown. There are just less buyers that can afford that price of home.

Steve
09-12-2009, 06:04 PM
gsan, I'm not sure you're right on that.

OKCDrummer77
09-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Floor Plans :: The Brownstones at Maywood Park (http://www.reinventokc.com/floorplans.asp)

The prices are 645K, 695K, and 883K. IIRC, they were closer to 500, 600, and 700 originally.

gsan
09-12-2009, 06:18 PM
gsan, I'm not sure you're right on that.

What do you mean?

Steve
09-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I believe they repriced several of their brownstones below $500,000.

Steve
09-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Edition: CITY, Section: BUSINESS, Page 6B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reaction to the Maywood Park development has been mixed: the lower-priced lofts were quickly reserved before construction even started, while only three of 20 brownstones are sold even though they were completed earlier this year.

Five of the units are being placed by the Realtors' multi-listing service at reduced rates. Drops include a 3,436-square-foot unit originally priced at $924,000, now at $800,000, and units averaging just under 2,400 square feet dropped from $715,000 to $500,000.

“We have four show houses that are finished, and we have a model, and they are all finished,” Bradshaw said. “We want to get people living downtown, so we're doing a little stimulus here to sell the next five.”

Bradshaw added the finished units have “a lot of extras” added when they were included in the Symphony Show House tours earlier this year. He said the reduced rates add up to about $208 per square foot, compared to the lower-end Leslie, ($200 a square foot) announced Tuesday.

“We recognize we have a high-end, large-sized product here. We know there has been a slowdown in the economy and there are problems with jumbo-mortgages. I'd rather have people living down here than having them continue to sit vacant. The more we have living down here, the more we build these products.”

jbrown84
09-12-2009, 08:41 PM
The Brownstones are awesome. I am surprised that there hasn't been more interest.

I don't disagree. They are actually worth their high prices, but they are having to compete with all the other high priced development. I'm simply pointing out that the lower end stuff is selling much better, and we've all been saying it would.

betts
09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Six of the brownstones are now occupied. I think part of the problem is that most people in that price range aren't used to thinking about downtown as a place to live. Also, that's probably the demographic most interested in a nearby grocery store, pharmacy, etc, and that just doesn't exist yet. There seems to have been a lot more activity recently, in terms of people looking, so maybe that will translate to more sales, despite the economy.

Most of them were just framed, not finished, and I think also that requires more vision than a lot of buyers have as well. It gives you more flexibility in terms of finish, but you have to be able to envision how it's going to look, and pick out finishing materials yourself. They've decided to finish some of them, and they're even rearranging floor plans to give buyers more choices, I've been told.

I was also told 17 of the lofts have been sold. I think the more "lights on" in the neighborhood, the more attractive it will look to potential purchasers.

king183
09-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Why have only 17 of the 57 or so lofts sold?

metro
09-14-2009, 09:45 AM
M-O-N-E-Y. Not too many people buying $500K plus houses every day in OKC and have you tried to get a Jumbo loan in this economy?

king183
09-14-2009, 11:00 AM
M-O-N-E-Y. Not too many people buying $500K plus houses every day in OKC and have you tried to get a Jumbo loan in this economy?

As far as I know, none of the lofts, which were the subject of my question, even approach $500k.

betts
09-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Why have only 17 of the 57 or so lofts sold?

I think twice as many had contracts, but with construction taking longer than planned, and the economy tanking, some of the people who'd put down deposits had either moved on or could no longer afford to purchase. I think anyone with new construction in that price range (high $100,000s to $300,000) nowadays would be happy to have 17 new sales.

Richard at Remax
09-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Also, I'm sure if the people showing the place weren't huge jackasses, they might have more sales

metro
09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
As far as I know, none of the lofts, which were the subject of my question, even approach $500k.

Oops. I was thinking brownstones for some reason, but if you've actually seen some of the lofts, they are overpriced and not urban feeling with some of the finishes.

warreng88
09-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Good article by Steve:

NewsOK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-developer-believes-project-will-be-successful/article/3403260?custom_click=lead_story_title)

betts
09-23-2009, 06:37 AM
I found this interesting, and it's potential to inhibit development of multifamily residences worrisome:

"There were regulations put in place by the government, the Department of Housing and Urban Development and Fannie Mae in 2008 that has prohibited lenders from selling loans into the secondary market until a project is 70 percent sold or under contract.

But, I'd heard Bradshaw worrying about the effect of MAPS 3 on the Triangle area, and I'm pleased he now seems to be supportive of it. I do think that development near the park will attract a different type of buyer, and that if we can create more demand for downtown living, we will need both of these areas to develop further.

betts
07-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Today I noticed lots of orange spray paint on the open lot between Walnut and Oklahoma, 2nd and 3rd. Interesting.

onthestrip
07-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Today I noticed lots of orange spray paint on the open lot between Walnut and Oklahoma, 2nd and 3rd. Interesting.

Most likely from someone marking utilities, which usually means someone is about to dig or move some dirt.

Spartan
07-28-2010, 01:12 PM
That's interesting because didn't Steve say there should be another announcement about this time of year (late summer)?

warreng88
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know what is going on across the street from the lofts? It looks like they added a metal type of extended roof on top. County assessor lists it owned by Stillwaters LLC.

Spartan
07-28-2010, 01:24 PM
http://www.leaseokcdowntown.com/

Richard at Remax
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
that building was the main reason I didn't buy a loft across the street because that third story took out the view of bricktown. and also cause the woman showing the place was an ass.

Spartan
07-28-2010, 01:56 PM
that building was the main reason I didn't buy a loft across the street because that third story took out the view of bricktown. and also cause the woman showing the place was an ass.

That's interesting, especially in light of other recent Maywood Park projects.. you might not have had the best angle to view Bricktown from, but there would have been other significant urban scenes that you'd have a view of..Devon (above the skyline), Aloft, future residential apparently, and so on..that you might not have known about at the time.

Richard at Remax
07-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I understand all that other stuff but they were starting to just build that third story and it was directly across the street and the view of bricktown was surprisingly good. I went at dusk and you could see all the way to harkins but once that third story was there it wiped it all away. no big deal though, saved myself some $$$

betts
07-28-2010, 02:36 PM
There was an odd truck out in the middle of the lot today with a lot of equipment on it that made no sense to me. The name on the truck was clearly an acronym, with three letters, but none that I recongized. There is definitely something going on there.

betts
08-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Yesterday and today they were boring holes in the lot between Walnut and Oklahoma, 2nd and 3rd. A group called AI was doing it. Initially they had drill bits that were about six inches in diameter, but yesterday they were using drills that looked like they were about a foot in diameter. There are a bunch of drums of stuff sitting there and I saw them mixing what looked like sacrete at one point. We walked onto the lot last night and there was a little sign on one that said "bore hole". It was filled up with concrete, or something like that. Anybody have any idea what all this activity might mean?

BG918
08-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Yesterday and today they were boring holes in the lot between Walnut and Oklahoma, 2nd and 3rd. A group called AI was doing it. Initially they had drill bits that were about six inches in diameter, but yesterday they were using drills that looked like they were about a foot in diameter. There are a bunch of drums of stuff sitting there and I saw them mixing what looked like sacrete at one point. We walked onto the lot last night and there was a little sign on one that said "bore hole". It was filled up with concrete, or something like that. Anybody have any idea what all this activity might mean?

Sounds like soils testing. Typically done before civil and structural drawings can be completed.

soonerguru
08-25-2010, 04:02 PM
A group called AI was doing it.

That sounds sinister.

Urban Pioneer
08-25-2010, 09:40 PM
That sounds sinister.

HaHaHa Gotta find those old Benzine tanks!! lol

Urban Pioneer
08-25-2010, 09:41 PM
AI is so intentionally innocuous sounding it makes me think of the Coyote cartoon and ACME. lol

king183
12-27-2010, 02:14 PM
I've just found out that the first business is going to be opening within the next two months in the Maywood Lofts building, in the retail ground floor. It's going to be a salon owned by a downtown couple.

To me, this sounds like good news, as amenities like that in a neighborhood location are needed very much. It should be pretty successful with the new hotel and apartments being built there.

Has anyone else heard what businesses might be moving into the ground floor? I know they were trying to attract a restaurant.

Spartan
12-27-2010, 04:09 PM
It would be an awesome spot for a little Indian or Thai restaurant, or something interesting.

betts
12-27-2010, 04:36 PM
At one point I'd heard a wine bar was locating there. I'm pretty sure some of the space is going to be occupied by a law firm and a business.

dankrutka
12-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Are the spaces already spoken for or are businesses waiting for the new apartments and aloft hotel to go in? When those two structures are built and open these spaces should do well.

Spartan
12-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Don't think anyone is waiting to see the rest of the street built-out. I understand that either there is very strong interest or actual deals made on a lot of the spaces. It won't all be retail though, as betts already said in this thread.

The apartments aren't breaking ground until Jan and the hotel won't break ground until March, construction may take longer than a year. That's a lot of waiting, especially when Bradshaw already has opportunities to make deals on the space and get tenants in there, and get closer to his ultimate goal, moving on to another project.

dankrutka
12-29-2010, 12:51 AM
The apartments aren't breaking ground until Jan and the hotel won't break ground until March, construction may take longer than a year. That's a lot of waiting, especially when Bradshaw already has opportunities to make deals on the space and get tenants in there, and get closer to his ultimate goal, moving on to another project.

You make January sound so far away... ;)

Spartan
12-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Of 2012, yes. You said: "or are businesses waiting for the new apartments and aloft hotel to go in?"

soonerguru
12-29-2010, 10:53 AM
At one point I'd heard a wine bar was locating there. I'm pretty sure some of the space is going to be occupied by a law firm and a business.

Geez. More "ground level retail" for OKC.

dankrutka
12-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Of 2012, yes. You said: "or are businesses waiting for the new apartments and aloft hotel to go in?"

I didn't realize that this project wouldn't even start next year. I thought it was supposed to start in 2011. My bad.

king183
12-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I didn't realize that this project wouldn't even start next year. I thought it was supposed to start in 2011. My bad.

No, there's a bit of miscommunication here. Construction begins in January 2011 (i.e., in a few days), at least according to McKown's plans as stated a few months ago. Spartan is speculating they may not be completed until January 2012.

mcca7596
02-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Any info as to when offices/stores will be going in here?

king183
02-16-2011, 07:48 PM
I was told by one of the business owners that they'd start moving in late February or March.

mcca7596
02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks.

That utility grate that Steve brought up in his blog is certainly going to be a real issue soon...

Spartan
02-20-2011, 09:18 AM

No, no..sorry I'm confused by this, but I think I just meant that I think waiting for the project to be FINISHED will be a lot of waiting. I didn't mean they're breaking ground next year, hell, LEVEL is already broken ground as you well know.

I just don't know what difference it makes to wait for them to break ground, if we're suggesting that short-term conditions are causing potential leasees to pause. I mean, the big difference on 2nd Street will come when these projects are FINISHED, which is still a ways off.

BG918
02-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks.

That utility grate that Steve brought up in his blog is certainly going to be a real issue soon...

What issue is that?

mcca7596
02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/page/4/ Towards the bottom of the page there are several entries going back regarding an above ground utility access grate for Maywood lofts which essentially takes up the sidewalk.

As more pedestrians will be strolling in that area with the addition of Aloft and Level, it will be a true impediment.

ljbab728
02-27-2011, 11:51 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/page/4/ Towards the bottom of the page there are several entries going back regarding an above ground utility access grate for Maywood lofts which essentially takes up the sidewalk.

As more pedestrians will be strolling in that area with the addition of Aloft and Level, it will be a true impediment.

Even with more pedestrians, I don't see it so much as an impediment as I do an unattractive nuisance. It certainly can easily be walked around but does nothing to enhance that area at all.

mcca7596
02-28-2011, 12:26 AM
You're right, nuisance is a better word.

Honestly, the more I think about it, most people from Deep Deuce aren't even going to be going down further west of it anyway (I mean it will be at the end of what is hopefully a very active couple of blocks). Conversely, if one is coming from the CBD, they will be on the other side of the street. Still, it sure is ugly lol.

Pete
03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
A building permit was just issued for 3,000 square feet of law office space at Maywood Lofts.

SkyWestOKC
03-14-2011, 02:45 PM
New construction?

Pete
03-14-2011, 04:37 PM
No, someone bought one of the empty bays at street level in the condo complex.

SkyWestOKC
03-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Ah, okay.

soonerguru
03-19-2011, 05:19 PM
What a bad use of the "ground level retail" component. I realize these developers need to make money, but geez.

betts
06-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Walked by the Lofts tonight and saw them setting up the salon. I cannot remember its name, however.

Rover
06-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I think everyone will be amazed at how much more retail will be possible with the Level apts. and the hotel across the street. The Lofts retail was going to struggle due to lack of people walking by.

metro
06-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Walked by the Lofts tonight and saw them setting up the salon. I cannot remember its name, however.

Just drove by and the salon is open, but I forgot the name as well. I guess you could say it's forgettable. Still good to finally see some retail.

mcca7596
06-23-2011, 02:28 PM
For what it's worth, it's called Flux Salon http://www.facebook.com/fluxsalonokc

Urbanized
07-15-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure retail will be so tough there after Level and ALoft open, plus more move-ins in Maywood. Once that area is teeming with people, I don't believe the above-street-level retail will be quite the impediment it currently is perceived to be.