View Full Version : New Okc Lake

okclee
03-29-2007, 07:54 AM
While driving around Okc on the southside, I noticed a HUGE hole being dug that to me looks like it will be a lake. It is near s.w. 29th and Santa Fe, you can not miss it on the south side of 29th street. Their has been houses and streets all removed and the hole in the groung is as big as I have ever seen.
I have seen the new lake that Okc is building on the eastside of the city and this looks twice as big as that project.

Does anyone know of what this is?

oudirtypop
03-29-2007, 08:01 AM
what lake are you referring to on the east side? also, is it at that park? I would call that a pond not a lake? i thought meant the size of lake hefner or something.

okclee
03-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Here is the new lake on the east side of Okc, Edwards Park Fishing Lake, 1515 N Bryant (opens in 07). I guess some call it a pond, some call it a lake.

oudirtypop
03-29-2007, 08:28 AM
didn't know about that one. Can you see it pretty well from highway? That will be nice in that area...hope it doesnt get trashed out.

okclee
03-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Yes you can see the Edwards Lake from I-35.

Nixon7
03-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Speaking of lakes, are there any that you can go around OKC for swimming?? I know you can't at Draper and Hefner. I come from Southern OKLA and we had Lake Murray. Is there any place like that where you can actually get in the water if you don't own a boat or jet ski?

Martin
03-29-2007, 09:13 AM
you can swim in lake thunderbird... -M

Karried
03-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Lake Arcadia has a swimming area for kids ... have to wear a lifejacket under 12.

I like it because they have a separate area for jet skiing which is good for younger boaters.

Lake Murray is much more clear and a lot bigger but Arcadia works for day trips.

okclee
03-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Lake Thunderbird, Lake Arcadia, Lake Overholser, and the Oklahoma River.

Martin
03-29-2007, 09:44 AM
i didn't know you could swim in the river... whereabouts?

-M

jbrown84
03-29-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't think you can swim in Overholser or the Oklahoma River.

Yes you can see the Edwards Lake from I-35.

I believe there was already a pond there and they simply expanded it.

okclee
03-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know about the extremely large hole in the earth on the south side near sw 29th and Santa Fe?

metro
03-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Lake Thunderbird, Lake Arcadia, Lake Overholser, and the Oklahoma River.

Yeah dude, you can't swim in Overholser or the River, especially in the river you will get a huge fine. And I don't think I'd want to swim in either if you could!

And if the city was building a new man made lake, you'd know about it. You're probably seeing a pond (probably by a private developer) being built. No plans are in the foreseable future of any decent man made lake for Central Oklahoma.

jbrown84
03-29-2007, 06:06 PM
And I don't think I'd want to swim in either if you could!

It's the same water.

metro
03-29-2007, 06:09 PM
yeah I know, thus me saying, you wouldn't want to swim in either.

JIMBO
03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
okclee
The area you refered to is in Oliver Park. It appears to me to be a retention pond.
Since the mothers day flood of 93 the city has built one or two of them.
My only question is; What is the city going to do with the mountain of dirt they have piled up?

Kerry
03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
okclee
mothers day flood of 93

My wife and I got caught in that flood. We were stuck on the I-240 off ramp at May Ave for 2 hours. We were stuck at the top the exit ramp and just watched the water rise and rise and rise. The water made it up to the front wheels of the car in front of us before it started going down, only to reveal all of the cars that were underwater on May Ave. Throw in the hail, tornado warnings, and the fact we still had to drive to Norman - it is the most scared I have ever been due to weather.

Surprised it has taken 14 years to do something. Didn't they clean out Lightning Creek to deal with some of the flooding?

JIMBO
03-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes. They cleaned out Lightning Creek. They built a large retention pond south of SW44 near I-44. They have also expanded and rebuilt much of the drainage canel system throughout the south side.
My wife and I had spent the day at my brothers. When it finaly quit raining, about 6pm, we headed home. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get from 19 and N Macarthur to 38 and S Villa. You just couldn't get there from here.

okclee
03-29-2007, 07:59 PM
okclee
The area you refered to is in Oliver Park. It appears to me to be a retention pond.
Since the mothers day flood of 93 the city has built one or two of them.
My only question is; What is the city going to do with the mountain of dirt they have piled up?

Jimbo, so you have seen what I am reffering to. That is a huge hole in the ground, and you are right about the mountain of dirt.

Also I was just joking about swimming in the Oklahoma River. Last week I was driving along the river downtown and I did see a large in-bred looking family with about fourteen kids, they were enjoying a nice swim along with their home-made pontoon boat and fishing rods. It looked like they were having a great time at the watering hole. I got a good laugh out of it.

JIMBO
03-29-2007, 08:56 PM
The Oklahoma River (North Canadian River) is a handy place to go fishing, but I don't think I would want to swim in that ugly brown water. Any fish we catch, we release.
I come from upper Michigan, where the waters are cold and clear so my standards may be a somewhat higher,but brown water does not look very hygenic to me.