View Full Version : Underground Grand Opening

Pages : [1] 2

okclee
03-28-2007, 03:18 PM
I received an email with the information from DowntownOkc.com

A Grand Opening will be held Friday March 30th at 2:00 p.m.

The location will be in the UNDERGROUND below the 101 Park Avenue building off of Broadway between Main and Park.

Entry locations are in the Broadway Kerr parking garage, Skirvin Hilton at the Santa Fe parking garage & First National Center with parking at the Main Street parking garage.

BailJumper
03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
I think the whole underground remodel is a joke. IMO it looks very tacky. I hear people joke about it often when I'm down there at the bank and post office.

jbrown84
03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Tacky?

I know some disagree with taking away from street life by renewing the tunnels, but I don't think it's tacky at all.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/martymcflyjb/underground1.jpg

BailJumper
03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
I liked the idea of renovating the tunnels, I just think the execution is tacky. C'mon, exposed green and red light bulbs!??!

I hope someone opens a Christy's Toy Box in the red light portion!

Martin
03-28-2007, 04:43 PM
they're like bug zappers... for people. if that's the 'after' pic, then my vote goes for 'tacky'. -M

CMSturgeon
03-28-2007, 04:54 PM
So what else is down there? Any historic photos or details of its previous usage? What exactly do they have down there do draw a crowd?

okclee
03-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Where is the disco ball?

I will need to find my roller skates, it's 70's disco-skate.

metro
03-28-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't think the remodel is tacky. Did you not see it before? And yes there are photo and art galleries throughout it. If you read all the official threads of the Underground and Conncourse, you will find the answers to your questions. I do however wish they would have went with halogen or LED lighting but overall very futuristic and modern looking. Haven't heard anything but good about it other than it might detract from streetlife.

Kim, have the new outdoor entrance signs gone up yet? If so can you post us a pic?

CMSturgeon
03-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks Metro!

Martin
03-28-2007, 05:10 PM
futuristic? yeah... that pic looks futuristic... like straight out of a 1970's sci-fi flick.

i totally agree, halogen or led would've looked alot better. -M

zuluwarrior0760
03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Each of those light fixtures exposed on the wall had a cost
of less than $25.00....

It's about making an effect with very little $$

LED would have been 10x the cost, but would be very impressive.

Overall, I'd say it's a massive improvement, even if it's not for everybody's
taste.........

BailJumper
03-29-2007, 06:00 AM
Well, I'm just glad they didn't settle for "at least it's an improvement" when they redid Bricktown.

There are a dozen ways they could have improved the underground and while this is 'better' it is certainly not impressive.

Easy180
03-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Makes sense to not go too overboard on spending since there is very little traffic underground compared to pre-bricktown days

Nice change and I'm sure more is in store if the underground starts to attract more shops and restaurants

Pete
03-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Tunnel renovations light up debate both pro, Conn
By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

Downtown workers no longer complain about torn carpeting, roof leaks and dark hallways when they venture into the underground tunnels once known as the Conncourse.

Instead, they're debating whether the brightly colored lighting is "cool” and "cutting edge,” or simply a headache that will encourage them to stay above ground whenever possible.

Gone are the Brady Bunch era wall colors, carpeting held together by duct tape, and broken light fixtures. But, after a $1.6 million renovation wrapping up this spring, even businesses along the tunnels are at odds whether the renamed "Underground” ultimately will help or hurt their bottom line.

Vicki Harris, who has owned Vicki's Downtown Style Shop in the tunnels for 33 years, was among those eagerly looking forward to the renovation when it started last year. Now she's given up hope the changes will bring her more business, and only hopes it won't cost her existing customers.

"They don't like it,” Harris said. "None of them do. They say the lighting gives them headaches.”

Another veteran of subterranean downtown argues the opposite.

"Some customers complain about the lights, but a lot more like the changes,” said Varan Bailey, who works at Ricolleto's restaurant and has been employed in the tunnels for 20 years. "I really like it down here. Compared to the way it did look, it is now much better.”

Pedestrians echoed the debate. Clair Fretwell, who works at First National Center, admits the lighting scheme seemed odd at first, giving her skin a colored hue.

"I enjoy it,” Fretwell said. "I really hope this brings more businesses down here.”

Victor Cooper, a downtown employee for 30 years, didn't like what he saw.

"I'm not impressed by the green, and the red is worse,” Cooper said. "It's a little too garish.”

The colored lighting is a specialty for the renovation's architect, Rand Elliott, who isn't surprised or offended by the mixed response.

"It's like any other public/private project,” Elliott said. "There are some who will say it's great, those who don't quite understand it. And we have that, and I'm happy we do ... Anytime we have a project like this and people talk about it, I think that's very positive. The most successful projects are those that create dialogue.”

Elliott recalled overhearing a construction worker responding to remarks about the renovation.

"His comment was ‘if you don't get it, don't come down,'” Elliott said.

Challenges aren't new to Elliott, who had to wait for Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. to create a special assessment district to pay for the project when the original business improvement district funding fell short.

He also had to design directional portals and signs in tunnels that slope, have no straight walls and uneven ceilings.

Elliott is eager to see how many people "get it” when Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. hosts a celebration at 2 p.m. Friday marking the renovation's completion.

The tunnel will feature the first completed art gallery, focusing on the history of downtown. Other galleries will be added in the next few weeks, along with above ground entry signs, flat screen televisions airing local news, including coverage of weather conditions outside, and piped in music.

Elliott notes the celebration is near the entrance of the original tunnel built in 1935 by hotelier W.B. Skirvin to link his hotel with the Skirvin Tower, now known as 101 Park Avenue. The tunnel system as it is known today, however, was developed in the 1970s at the direction of banker Jack Conn.

"I would love to have been a part of the conversations back then with Jack Conn and others,” Elliott said. "There are people on both sides of the fence, as to whether it's valuable or not. There are those who want to fill it with concrete. But on a cold, windy or stormy day, it's busy and it's much appreciated for the service it provides downtown people.”

Elliott visited with some potential restaurant and bar operators before the renovation started who swore they could never see themselves opening a business in the basements that connect to the tunnels. He said those same visitors have taken a second glance at the lighting, new carpeting and wall decor and are intrigued. He suspects business activity will pick up once the tunnels are equipped with flat screen televisions, piped-in music and art galleries.

But Elliott doesn't agree with critics who say The Underground draws people away from street level businesses.

"If you think about it, there is very little retail even possible in The Underground,” Elliott said. "It's more about getting people from point A to point B. ... What we've done is come in, made The Underground a more interesting place to be. We're capitalizing on that you're there, we want to entertain you, educate you, and make it an experience you don't have every day.”

BDP
03-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Well, I'm just glad they didn't settle for "at least it's an improvement" when they redid Bricktown.

Actually, I hear that all the time, especially in reference to lower bricktown. It seems no one can agree that a great job was done there. The only consensus is that "at least it's better than 10 years ago".

This thing was done on a budget and is definately more Euro than Okie. It may be too post modern for many, but at least it's not a toilet like it was before. The underground has long had an identity crisis and I guess this is too different for downtown Oklahoma City, but maybe it will find a niche and some actual success with the new design. If not, then let's just seal it up or find a way to convert it to an underground transit center for the commuter trains. :Smiley053

MadMonk
03-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Ouch. Even the pictures burn my retinas. Can't imagine being down there. On the plus side you have a tan when you emerge. :D

Pete
03-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Frankly, I'm glad to see it renovated (it was an embarrassment before) but glad they didn't spend a ton of money -- and it seems they did a lot with a little.

And I'd much rather try for something a little out-there then more of the same, predictable crap.

There are always going to be people that complain when you try something a little new... I remember a bunch of people complaining about the airport design choices when it first started coming together.

BailJumper
03-29-2007, 09:44 AM
There are always going to be people that complain when you try something a little new..

That's the easy way out for those who wear it on their sleeves.

I'd love to see them have to publish an itemized accounting of new paint, carpet and bare colored bulbs screwed to the wall.

Pete
03-29-2007, 09:53 AM
I'll withhold judgment on the design until I see it in person but that system is almost a mile long and had not be updated in about 30 years.

In addition to carpeting and paint, they installed information kiosks, new signage, artwork and had to make various repairs.

$1.6 million isn't a lot of money for something of that scale.

ksearls
03-29-2007, 09:55 AM
BailJumper,

Please feel free to drop by sometime and we would be glad to share that info with you. The money came from the property owners in a Special Improvment District so it was very closely monitored. We actually came in under budget. I think we got a lot of bang for our buck for the money we spent.

I hope everyone will join us tomorrow for the opening and some technicolor cupcakes! Give the project a chance!

Kim

BailJumper
03-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't doubt the "under budget" claim one bit. It looks it!

Bobby H
03-29-2007, 10:21 AM
I think the city should have worked with some sort of major corporation or something to get a budget to do the lighting effects work in the tunnels correctly.

Exposed fluorescent lamps are not what I would consider tasteful, even if they are colored. Nearly all still have that nasty yellow cast to the color of light emitted. Ultimately, exposed fluorescent lamps just look CHEAP.

I agree LED lighting would have been quite a bit more expensive, at least in terms of fixture cost. However, a well designed LED lighting system would have been far more eye-pleasing and capable of far more dramatic effects. Such a system would be far more effective on attracting pedestrians to the tunnel network.

To see some of the kinds of things LED lighting can do, check out the website for Color Kinetics. Click the "Showcase" link for a galley of the company's most notable recent installations.
Color Kinetics Incorporated - LED Lighting Systems (http://www.colorkinetics.com)

Pete
03-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Since the installed lighting was inexpensive, it wouldn't be a big deal to pull it out if and when more money is available down the road.

For now, I'm glad for the upgrades.

metro
03-29-2007, 11:02 AM
http://static.newsok.biz/sites/newsok/images/business/m29biz1.jpg

jbrown84
03-29-2007, 11:14 AM
I prefer an inexpensive update like this, since we aren't really trying to create an attraction--just make it look nice for people that go down there.

BDP
03-29-2007, 11:15 AM
That shot is very cool, Metro. The more I see of it the more I like. So much better than if they just went the pedestrian "airport" type design.

As for the lights, I think they just got creative with it and I think that's great. It gives it a unique and defined character. If you think about it, there was going to be floresent tubes down there no matter what. Normally, they just use white and stick them up in the ceiling with a plastic cover. This way you get something that looks a feels a little more exciting than the cubicle you just left, and for the same amount of money.

For 1.6MM, I'm just glad that they could fix up the place and give it a new look. Going forward, let's just see if the underground is still a viable concept and, if so, maybe someone can come up with the cash to pay for more expensive lighting and design. As Mailbu pointed out, it can be updated if needed. For now, though, I think it is a very cool concept.

I like the LED uses in that showcase, but looking at it just makes me think that our buildings could use it to spruce up downtown's nightime skyline.

metro
03-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Personally, I still love the new design and colors, even though I wish they would have gone LED. As many said, if you don't like it, dont go down there. It's too Euro or modern if you're looking for Okie. Go to NYC, Miami, or Europe and you'll see stuff like this all over. Keep up the good work Kim.

Any word yet Kim if the outside Underground entrance signs are installed yet or do you have a rendering?

CuatrodeMayo
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
You people need to travel more. Comments like this are exactly the reason everybody thinks Oklahoma is backwards.

Go to e+e+a.com and tell me what you think. Rand is the most avant-garde (google it) architect in OKC be far, and just like any designer that pushes the limits, he work is controversial. Failure to appreciate design the goes outside the box (the "box" being what most people this is "good" lighting) is a obvious sign of closed-mindedness. Why to you think that most people consider Europe=cool and America=bland? In case you never noticed, europe is full of the very things that get shot to pieces here.

Sure maybe halogen or LED would have been better, but could the renovation of a mile-long tunnel be done for 1.6 mil? You would be hard-pressed to build 1 mile of decent paved road for that much $$$. I would like to see an estimate for doing the whole think in LED. I think the difference would be shocking.

I think these comments speak for themselves. Bold design is always going to be controversial.

oumoodman85
03-29-2007, 11:56 AM
You people need to travel more. Comments like this are exactly the reason everybody thinks Oklahoma is backwards.

Go to e+e+a.com and tell me what you think. Rand is the most avant-garde (google it) architect in OKC be far, and just like any designer that pushes the limits, he work is controversial. Failure to appreciate design the goes outside the box (the "box" being what most people this is "good" lighting) is a obvious sign of closed-mindedness. Why to you think that most people consider Europe=cool and America=bland? In case you never noticed, europe is full of the very things that get shot to pieces here.

Sure maybe halogen or LED would have been better, but could the renovation of a mile-long tunnel be done for 1.6 mil? You would be hard-pressed to build 1 mile of decent paved road for that much $$$. I would like to see an estimate for doing the whole think in LED. I think the difference would be shocking.

I think these comments speak for themselves. Bold design is always going to be controversial.

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

ksearls
03-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Thank you supporters! It's art, you either like it or get it; or you don't like it or don't get it. No reason to be a hater. Come to the opening, judge it in person, have a technicolor cupcake.

metro
03-29-2007, 05:40 PM
KIM any word on the ENTRANCE SIGNS YET?

brianinok
03-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Bravo, Mayo! :congrats:

I like it. It's different and modern. I hope it is kept up well for years to come.

Bobby H
03-29-2007, 07:57 PM

Since when did honest criticism suddenly get outlawed?

It doesn't matter to me the same of the architect, design firm or whoever did the work. My feelings aren't a personal attack to them or to Oklahoma either. Yeesh!

The simple fact is exposed fluorescent lamps are not an attractive design feature. Most architects and designers try to hide those kind of lamps and make only the glow visible. Labeling the work as "art" doesn't give it immunity from criticism. In fact, when you call something "art" in professional circles of art and design you invite even more criticism.

I completely accept this is probably the best that could be done with a limited budget. That's also why I made the comment about partnering with some big company to acquire more funding to develop a more visually dynamic solution.

zuluwarrior0760
03-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Rand Elliott provided the most punch possible for 1.6mil which
is a paltry amount of money for the space we're talking about square
footage-wise.

It would have been EASY to drop 10 mil plus in there and a million
plus on LED Lighting.

Rand has used fluorescents with colored filters to great effect on lots
of projects, but when the budget will handle it and when it's right
for the job, he will whip out the LEDs as well.....

Bottoms up for Pops « Route 66 News (http://rwarn17588.wordpress.com/2006/05/05/bottoms-up-for-pops/)

okclee
03-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Did Rand design the Beacon light near the OU med center?

metro
03-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah and frankly that is a joke. Even though they removed the green filter you can still barely see the beam a mile away. It has so much potential though, just need to increase the candlepower.

CuatrodeMayo
03-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Yea...that didnt quite work as invisioned. Oh well. Its still cool close up

ksearls
03-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Metro, still wating on permits from the City for the signs. There also has been a hold-up from one property owner which will most likely result in no sign at his location.

bombermwc
03-30-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm glad it got renovated but the colors are crap. They could have made it look much much nicer without doing it the way they did. Some of the areas are still really dark because of this color scheme. Personally, I'd rather have normal white light and painted walls and some carpet...or at least a laminate floor. I'm not a fan of the concrete look it still has.

Pete
03-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Lighting up the Underground: Oklahoma City Conncourse gets new name, hopes for new tenants
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record
3/30/2007

http://journalrecord.com/APTImages/concorse%201%20-%20jp.jpg

OKLAHOMA CITY – The renamed Conncourse winding below downtown Oklahoma City officially opens today after a nearly $2 million face-lift.

Alison Oshel, formerly with Downtown OKC Inc. and now director of community redevelopment at the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, said the retail space will add to the momentum of downtown and revitalization of shops and restaurants in the area.

“That was always the intent with the Underground renovation and that was how we got the property owners buy-in was to say ‘your basement space is worth something,’” she said. “This effort will help to get the foot traffic down there which then follows the leasing capability.”

Individual retail space is the property of the entity it sits beneath.

And while some of the spaces have stayed occupied for years, others have sat vacant awaiting new interest and new uses.

One of the larger retail areas underground is part of the First National Center.

Including all of the below-grade retail space available at First National, the total comes to about 19,000 square feet, said Zach Martin with Sperry Van Ness, who handles leasing for First National. Of that space, however, Martin said about 13,000 square feet is currently vacant.

One of First National’s longest underground tenants is Vicki’s Style Shop, which has been in its space beneath the city for more than 30 years.

Martin said as other improvements are made to the building as a whole, he sees the demand for the below-grade space at the building increasing.

“Everyone agrees there’s not enough retail downtown and there is a demand for it,” he said. “I think retail in the Underground will thrive, it’s something unique about Oklahoma City and how we’ve gone in and utilized it is phenomenal. It was a wise investment for the future and I think the return on investment will be exponential.”

Another property owner who has a large stretch of retail space is Rick Dowell beneath his Dowell Center building.

Dowell said he has about 7,000 square feet of potential retail space that has not been in use for more than a decade.

The last tenants in the Dowell space were two restaurants that closed when the building closed in 1994. Dowell bought the building in 1996.

And while he has not determined if he will make the space available for retail use, Dowell said he does see more retail popping up to coincide with the renovations and increased foot traffic.

“If you walk down the Conncourse you’ll see a lot of potential retail spaces that are unused at the moment,” he said. “Once you increase the traffic down there one thing feeds off another.”

And while the vision was to get more people below the streets and resuscitate business, not everyone thinks the newly minted Underground is the best place for downtown Oklahoma City to do business.

Downtown OKC Inc. headed up the nearly $2 million project to breathe new life into the tunnels and hired architect Rand Elliott to make the project look fresh and exciting.

Mark Inman, with CB Richard Ellis Oklahoma, said although the Underground is a great place to walk through to get out of the elements, he does not like the idea of it potentially drawing retail off the street.

“I would like to see all the retail opportunities on the street level,” he said. “Any time you have retail space available off the street or below grade it competes with the traditional retail space and affects occupancy at the street level.”

Inman said the space in the Underground could even compete for business outside of the downtown core.

“I would hate to see street-level retail or Bricktown not get a deal because of the Underground,” he said.

ksearls
03-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Bomber, It is carpeted. Please come see it!

BDP
03-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Most architects and designers try to hide those kind of lamps and make only the glow visible.

Which is why I think this is pretty cool. They didn't just try to do what everybody else does. It certainly looks more like a place people would hang out in than a place where poeple are going about their hum drum days at the office. Maybe it doesn't excite everybody, but I'm pretty sure that covered tubes, high traffic airport carpet, and gallons of white paint would have excited no one. I think the problem with the tunnels has long been that they were so drab and boring. This makes them interesting and different.

BailJumper
03-30-2007, 01:45 PM
I was downtown so I stopped by the grand opening.

I would guess about 50 people showed up. Hard to tell in such a tight space. The mayor was there. Kinda funny, I heard some women complaining that they were told they "had" to attend to make a good showing in case media was there. Gotta love it.

I passed on the cupcakes and flavored water being handed out.

I've decided since so many people think the renovation was so great, artsy and urban... I'm going to replace all my garage ceiling flourescent lights with colored ones (and leave them exposed of course) so I can be so very anti okie.

BDP
03-30-2007, 02:29 PM
What does your garage have to do with it? Are you saying they should have consulted your garage first or that the underground should be modeled after a typical garage? Or are you saying that your garage should always be redesigned after public concourses? Random.

Maybe we should see pics of your garage first, so we can give you better suggestions.

BailJumper
03-30-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize what reading level I needed to be writing for.

CMSturgeon
03-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Is there an 'eye roll into back of the head as far as possible' emoticon on here?

BDP
03-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize what reading level I needed to be writing for.

That's okay. I admit I am not very garage design savvy, so I was just unaware of the garage standard for the underground. But if it inspired you, go fo it...

I'm just having fun with you. :)

BailJumper
03-30-2007, 03:01 PM
My wife always says she's going to have the following put on my head stone...

"Didn't Play Well with Others"

metro
03-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Metro, still wating on permits from the City for the signs. There also has been a hold-up from one property owner which will most likely result in no sign at his location.

Thanks Kim! You'd think the city would have sped this through with most of them promoting it, etc. I know you probably can't mention but I'm putting all my chips that the holdup is with Cotter owner of Cotter Tower (aka Chase Tower). That guy sure is annoying and ruined the plans for the originally planned Main Concourse Entrance. That thing would have been sweet. He sure is ruining it for everyone else. That would have been nice to have the signature entrance across from the Skirvin and lit up at night. Now we probably won't even get that entrance sign there as you have mentioned.

Can the city not put one there as an easement of public right of way? It's within 25 feet of the street.

writerranger
03-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Can the city not put one there as an easement of public right of way? It's within 25 feet of the street.

That's a very good question!

----------

ksearls
03-30-2007, 05:50 PM
not cotter
not sure about the right-of-way question

Pete
04-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Has anyone other than BailJumper seen the new Underground in person?

I'm curious to see the feedback.

And I have to say again that even if it doesn't quite come off (which I don't think will be the case) I'm glad to see OKC making some bold choices. It shows confidence and that we are starting to take our own direction, rather than just mimmicking other cities and developments.

BailJumper
04-02-2007, 05:42 AM

Please don't make your decisions based on professional photos and cool angles. Those photographers could even make a Pug look good. :eek:

PUGalicious
04-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Please don't make your decisions based on professional photos and cool angles. Those photographers could even make a Pug look good. :eek:
Now that was just plain uncalled for... and mean... and hurtful...

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/2/westminster_pug.jpg

AFCM
04-02-2007, 10:06 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/2/westminster_pug.jpg

For just 27 cents a day, you can feed and shelter this young extraterrestrial from Galaxy B-2503. With your pledge, you'll also receive a 5 x 7 photograph of the alien you sponsored...

jbrown84
04-02-2007, 11:43 AM

I have not seen much of it, but I was in the tunnel between Chase and First National about 6 weeks ago and the lighting was already in. I'm with BDP. I would much rather have something different and even controversial than a drab, whitewashed corridor.

metro
04-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Yes, I've seen it in person during and after construction. I support it and think it's great. Long overdue. If it's not Cotter, I'm not sure who could be the antagonist. He sure didn't support it (to say the least) when it came to a vote for the BID district. And I'm 99% sure it was because of him, we didn't get the grand entrance across from the Skirvin either.

jbrown84
04-02-2007, 02:31 PM
I really wish they could work out that grand entrance.

Flatlander
04-05-2007, 05:56 PM
I will be downtown friday to visit the undergound can someone tell me where to enter?

jbrown84
04-05-2007, 06:58 PM
First National, Chase, on the Chase plaza, Leadership Square... there are many places to enter.