View Full Version : Heimlick Maneuver

Karried
03-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Okay, I've heard some 'tall tails' before but this one takes the cake. Funny how some people interpret things..

I think Toby just wanted some apple. :bright_id

Woman Says Dog Saved Her by Performing Heimlich Maneuver

Tuesday , March 27, 2007
http://www.foxnews.com/images/foxnews_story.gif

Toby, a 2-year-old golden retriever, really is man's best friend — or in this case, woman's.
Debbie Parkhurst, a 45-year-old jewelry artist who lives in Calvert (javascript:siteSearch('Calvert');), Md., says her dog Toby saved her life last week after she began to choke on a piece of apple by giving her the Heimlich maneuver (javascript:siteSearch('Heimlich maneuver');), the Cecil Whig reported.
Click here to read the Cecil Whig's full report. (http://www.cecilwhig.com/articles/2007/03/27/news/01.txt)
Parkhurst was home alone Friday afternoon eating a snack of sliced apples when one became lodged in her windpipe. After smacking herself against a chair to dislodge it, she started beating herself on the chest, which she thinks alerted Toby to the problem.
"The next think I know, Toby’s up on his hind feet and he’s got his front paws on my shoulders," she told the Cecil Whig. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest."
The apple eventually became loose and Toby started licking her face, possibly to keep her from passing out, Parkhurst said.
"I, literally, have pawprint-shaped bruises on my chest," Parkhurst said. "I’m still a little hoarse, but otherwise, I’m OK."
A friend took Parkhurst to the doctor.
"The doctor said I probably wouldn’t be here without Toby," the married woman and owner of two dogs said. "I keep looking at him and saying ‘You’re amazing.’"

Easy180
03-27-2007, 01:13 PM
I would put up a word that starts with a B and ends with a T and has ULL and an S and a H and maybe an I in it too....But this is a family forum

MadMonk
03-27-2007, 03:35 PM
It's funny how people always try to put human emotions and intentions into their pet's actions.

ksearls
03-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Maybe her cough sounded like some doggie mating call and Toby was just humping her.

Karried
03-27-2007, 04:40 PM
LOL! That was my thought at first too...

CMSturgeon
03-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Humping was my first thought too. But in all reality, the dog was probably really worried about her so it grabbed the cpr pamphlet and went from there. Thank the lord dogs have emotions and can read.