View Full Version : Old church/night club on Classen demolished

Patrick
03-25-2007, 09:24 PM
OKCBusiness - Oklahoma City Business News (http://okcbusiness.com/article.asp?aID=16987152.9023706.575731.2398297.56 96767.990&aID2=44278)

BailJumper
03-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Lots of high school weekend memories in that place. But, it had become such an eye-sore.

okclee
03-26-2007, 07:14 AM
Does anyone know what will be going up in it's place?

bombermwc
03-26-2007, 07:56 AM
No matter what gets developed there, it surely can't be as ugly.

metro
03-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Does anyone know what will be going up in it's place?

Yeah, we've talked about this before. I'll see if I can dig up the old information of what is going in there.

BDP
03-26-2007, 09:07 AM
I liked the church. Not many like that around today. The inside was cool. I hope they didn't toss those chandaliers with the destruction.

I think we had a thread on this before. I think it will be a strip mall with a "plaza".

okclee
03-26-2007, 09:49 AM
That is in the Asian district, is that correct? If so is there a building design code that goes in the Asian district?

Easy180
03-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Guessing that was the old Infinity club??...Was the place to be in the early 90's....Saw Vanilla Ice play there :omg:

Lots of good memories from there....If only I could remember them :tiphat:

Dave Cook
03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
My first concert - James Brown - was at the old Bowery.

Oh boy...another 'strip mall' to go in its place. Just what this city needs....another strip mall.

Patrick
03-26-2007, 12:31 PM
http://okcbusiness.com/images/photos/Old-Classen-Vert-2.jpg

ksearls
03-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Whaa! Always wanted to make that into a home and live there. I suppose you could never get rid of the stinky bar smell though.

Saw James Brown too. Also, my fav band ever the Violent Femmes. My sister played there with her band Vulgar and the Woodcutter.

Good times.:Smiley053

mburlison
03-26-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm glad its gone, but for different reasons. I've been there for some events, never quite felt comfortable. Something about being there and realizing that building had once been saved up for and then dedicated by a congregation to God's work. Not preaching here, just saying I'm glad its gone.

mranderson
03-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm glad its gone, but for different reasons. I've been there for some events, never quite felt comfortable. Something about being there and realizing that building had once been saved up for and then dedicated by a congregation to God's work. Not preaching here, just saying I'm glad its gone.

Yes. It was a church at one time. When the church moved, it was converted to a restaurant, then a homosexual club. I am surprised it never caught fire due to the imorality of the latter use.

redcup
03-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Wow, I remember when my DH and I would go there to dance.....it had a great music system and wonderful dance floor. That was when it was a gay bar called the Free Spirit. I am sad to see it go, but it has been better days. I think when the balcony fell and some people were hurt...the death knell tolled. Oh, well. I just hope they don't put another starbucks there.

:sofa:

wsucougz
03-26-2007, 08:23 PM
I am surprised it never caught fire due to the imorality of the latter use.

Anderson, you still have that timeshare down at the Habana Inn?

metro
03-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Anderson, you still have that timeshare down at the Habana Inn?:Sperm: :lol2:

Karried
03-26-2007, 08:37 PM
then a homosexual club. I am surprised it never caught fire due to the imorality of the latter use.

If that was the way it worked, we all be charred ashes about now.

Immorality...

Does that include sex without marriage? Living in Sin? Shacking up? Racism? Prejudice? Bigotry?

Just curious ... feeling the heat anyone?

Martin
03-26-2007, 08:42 PM
wsucougz... you should be looking around for somebody to hi-five. -M

BG918
03-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Too bad they couldn't keep it as a club. There is an old church in downtown Denver that was turned into a huge nightclub, one of the most popular in the city and the anchor to their club district. It's aptly named Church.

Do we know what's going in its place? Maybe something urban, or possibly Asian?

redcup
03-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Anderson, you still have that timeshare down at the Habana Inn?

Dang, you made me spit coke zero all over my keyboard and moniter. Stop that!!!

I was gonna say something about that line, but decided to take the high road..glad someone went the other direction!!!!!!:sofa:

john60
03-27-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm really glad to see this place go, too. It looked awful.

On another note, I really wish the Asian district could find some architectural character. The culture there is really cool--the restaurants and markets in that district are a really incredible part of our city that I think is sometimes underappreciated. I just wish that there was something there other than strip centers and generic 7-11s in the Asian district, though. Something tells me we'll just get more of that where the church used to be...hopefully not though.

Dave Cook
03-27-2007, 02:38 AM
"On another note, I really wish the Asian district could find some architectural character."

Architectual character? Are you serious?

This is one reason I like the Oklahoma City version of 'Little Saigon'. It's sort of run down and depressing, which is appropriately reminiscent of places like Ho Chi Minh City and Phnom Penh.

If the city would just allow banana pancake stands and cyclo drivers (Hey Joe, where you go?) on the street corners...it would be perfect.

PUGalicious
03-27-2007, 04:50 AM
Yes. It was a church at one time. When the church moved, it was converted to a restaurant, then a homosexual club. I am surprised it never caught fire due to the imorality of the latter use.
You seem to stay up-to-date on where all the "homosexual clubs" are. Interesting.

PUGalicious
03-27-2007, 04:51 AM
If that was the way it worked, we all be charred ashes about now.

Immorality...

Does that include sex without marriage? Living in Sin? Shacking up? Racism? Prejudice? Bigotry?

Just curious ... feeling the heat anyone?
Karrie, you should know by now after living in this state for a few years that homosexuality is the only sin that really matters. Those other things we just don't talk about...

bombermwc
03-27-2007, 07:41 AM
:Sperm: :lol2:

Wow, I about fell out of my chair laughing at that!!

metro
03-27-2007, 10:55 AM
FYI, we've talked about it before for all who keep asking, as several have again mentioned, it's going to be a generic strip center.