View Full Version : I really need some freaking advice

CMSturgeon
03-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Ok here's the story:

I got a call from a place to come in and do an interview. Did the interview, they told me what I was going to be doing, as in I had the job, sent me to take my drug test and everything. So I went and put in my 2 weeks notice at my current employer and prepared myself emotionally and mentally for the change. Well Thursday I called to make sure they had my test results back and see why they hadn't called and the lady says, "well we havent got the results back yet but we still havent made a decision but we are really interested in you and will call you as soon as we get your results." I said ok and hung up but right after that I was like, um, she just told me I dont have the job for sure, she doesnt know if she's going to hire me. etc, etc, Do you guys think I should call her back today to see if she's decided or not? The place I took the drug test it said it only takes 24 hours to get the results back anyway, so w t h. Would it be too persistent to call? I dont want to harm my chances of getting the job if they really are planning to hire me. I know for sure I passed the drug test so... am wondering what I should do. I really want this job!

Karried
03-23-2007, 03:48 PM
That's a hard call. If you do call it might go one of two ways.. she might get irritated because she told you she would call you and not hire you or she might admire your tenacity and hire you.

It's probably too late anyway, almost 5 o'clock.

If it's meant to be, it's meant to be.. keep saying that.

CMSturgeon
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
My thoughts exactly. I called and left a message, saying I didnt want to be too persistent but I am really interested in the job and am anxious to know their decision, and also told her I put in my 2 weeks notice already so i need to know what to tell them. I left a message because she is in a meeting so hopefully it was a meeting about who to hire, and hopefully they choose me if so. It better not be her just trying to dodge me or I'm going to kill someone.

Karried
03-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I think that was a good call to leave a message. Think positive. Let us know what the outcome is...

u50254082
03-23-2007, 05:39 PM
It may not have been the best decision to put in your 2 weeks before you actually knew you had the job. Unless of course, you getting the new job was contingent upon your drug test results. I think as long as you are polite, it's fine to call them, but you should avoid being "annoying" about it.

BailJumper
03-23-2007, 07:12 PM
I have to agree, never quit a job for one you don't actually have yet.

However, drug screens cost money and I've never heard of compainies paying for drug screens of people they are not ready to hire. Usually a job is offered contingent on the outcome of the drug screen.

Keith
03-23-2007, 07:27 PM
I agree with BailJumper. If a company asks you to take a drug test, that is normally the last step to new employment. If they had any doubt about you, they would not have spent the money on a drug test. I really believe you have the job.

kmf563
03-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Just for future reference - in light of the new customs policies, all larger companies (especially ones that have anything to do with shipping, sales, or even communication with other countries) are required to give drug tests and background checks for all potential employees. That means, you fill out an application, do a pre-interview, take a drug test, and have a background check processed. Drug tests are very inexpensive when you have a contract set up with the testing agency. Background checks can take anywhere from a few hours up to 3 weeks. It just depends on which process the company uses to complete their backgrounds and how many addresses you have had. This is part of what I do for a living during the day, so I'm speaking from experience. Don't feel bad though, I learned the hard way also that you never quit a job until the next one gives you a start date and time. I'm sure everything will work out for you though, one way or the other! Hang in there.

Deni
03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I require drug test and I have a contract with a testing agency. My test run about $15.00 a test. That is pretty reasonable considering.

CMSturgeon
03-26-2007, 12:08 PM
OK, I got it! I start on April 2nd, yay. They're matching my current pay and hopefully I'll receive a raise again after my 3 months. Boy am I excited. Seems too positive of a thing to happen to me though so I'm crossing my fingers.

PUGalicious
03-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Congratulations!

kmf563
03-26-2007, 12:12 PM
whoo hoo! congrats. :congrats:

MadMonk
03-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Congrats! I'm sure that's a big relief to you. :)

Karried
03-26-2007, 12:30 PM
whhhoooo hooooooo!!

For a minute there I had plans to pass the hat around.. just in case.. lol

I knew you would get it.. good job!

CMSturgeon
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
lol. Thanks for all of the support, it really makes me feel good!