View Full Version : What type of car would you buy?

Pages : [1] 2

CMSturgeon
03-23-2007, 03:26 PM
We're not talking exotics here, unless you just have that much money. My question is, if you were about about to buy a car, what type, realistically, would it be? Or, if you are going to buy a car soon, what will it be?

I REALLY want to buy a Ford Escape and I work at a Ford dealership now so the urge grows stronger every day I come to work. DRIVING ME CRAZY!

BailJumper
03-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Ultimately, whatever car I can pay cash for.

I pay cash for my cars and then put away about $200 a month for when I go to buy a new one and/or for repairs etc.

I would NEVER buy new, such a money waste.

I like a 2-6 year old cars with average to low miles and a good record.

I'm not attracted to any one car or maker. If I see something that I know I could sell in a year or maybe two and get most if not all my money back, then I get it.

My next one will probably be an SUV, like a Pathfinder, Sante Fe, or Explorer.

We like to have an extra car or two around.

bandnerd
03-23-2007, 04:20 PM
I like fuel-efficient cars. Maybe a Honda hybrid or something. We'll see what the hubby gets for me in the future ;) I'm not picky, but I'm not a fan of domestics, either.

Easy180
03-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Will be getting something in Feb. as I have promised mine to my nephew on his 16th

Wife is pushing me to get a 4 dr in case we do get around to having those kid things everyone talks about

Right now...Acura TSX leads the way...Boring I know, but I am a Honda fan

btw CM...Wife drives an Escape and it handles just like a car....Great if you don't need room for 5 or more

SoonerBent
03-24-2007, 05:06 PM
It has to fit the way I will use it.
I have to like the way it looks.
I have to like the way it "feels".
I have to like the way it rides/drives.
The End. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It's my money.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Easy I am surprised you know that the Honda and the Acura are cousins. Most people do not know that. Did you also know that Infinity is the cousin of Nissan and Lexus is the cousin of Toyota?

I am not a fan of the hybrids because none of them have hit 150,000 miles. I think when they start hitting that mileage limit people will have serious problems with them. They developed the technology way too fast and I do not think they have all the bugs worked out. Unfortunately, the people that will be driving them at that time will not be the latte sipping yuppies. It will be the single moms, who will not be able to depend on them to get to work.

If I were you, I would find out what you can afford and then go test-drive as many cars as possible until you find one you love. Some family members of mine when through CarMax to buy a car and loved the experience. They have like new cars in new car condition, at great prices. They do not operate like a typical car dealership. They let you pick the car and the terms of the loan. There is no pressure and no hype. They work hard to get you the best deal possible.

windowphobe
03-24-2007, 06:24 PM
I covet Infiniti's M35, but it's a bit beyond my price range. (I currently drive an older I30.)

Easy180
03-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Easy I am surprised you know that the Honda and the Acura are cousins. Most people do not know that. Did you also know that Infinity is the cousin of Nissan and Lexus is the cousin of Toyota?

I am not a fan of the hybrids because none of them have hit 150,000 miles. I think when they start hitting that mileage limit people will have serious problems with them. They developed the technology way too fast and I do not think they have all the bugs worked out. Unfortunately, the people that will be driving them at that time will not be the latte sipping yuppies. It will be the single moms, who will not be able to depend on them to get to work.

If I were you, I would find out what you can afford and then go test-drive as many cars as possible until you find one you love. Some family members of mine when through CarMax to buy a car and loved the experience. They have like new cars in new car condition, at great prices. They do not operate like a typical car dealership. They let you pick the car and the terms of the loan. There is no pressure and no hype. They work hard to get you the best deal possible.

Will likely try out Carmax next year....Like the no haggle and ability to buy a car from any of their nationwide inventory...Having Dallas so close seems to work for the OKC dealership since they can be transferred for free...Every time I've checked they have had several cars that fit exactly what I will be looking for...Can see why CarMax is so successful

MadMonk
03-25-2007, 11:54 AM
I'd like to buy a pickup. Ford F-150 or maybe a Tundra. I love my Jeep, but I miss having a pickup.

John
03-26-2007, 04:28 PM
I'll more than likely be getting a new Toyota 4Runner within the month. And by new, I mean about a year old. :)

Nabber
07-09-2007, 08:46 PM
I'd probably buy a small pick-up, like a S-10.
Though I really enjoy riding in a small convertible car.
I currently own a Jeep 2000 sport not good on gas,
But will hold up to a wreck better then most.

Life loves lives
Nabber

RealtorJoe
07-25-2007, 06:42 AM
I have my Cobra and an SUV, but no Pickup. So I would buy a pickup truck. Prob an F150 or GMC.

Dark Jedi
07-25-2007, 08:27 AM
My next purchase will be a pre-FUBAR Jeep Unlimited Rubicon. probably next year. I'll find some poor sap that already upgraded bumpers, winch, and underarmor and now can't pay for it.

Then I'll 'help' him out by taking it off his hands.

flintysooner
07-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Lexus. Makes every other car I've ever owned seem shoddy. Also best purchase experience. Only real drawback is scarcity of dealers but offset by lack of need.

betts
07-25-2007, 10:09 AM
I own and will buy another Mini Cooper soon, as mine is 5 years old. I was going to buy a Smart Car, but am worried about how highway worthy it will be and the fact that supposedly now Chrysler is going to make them. The Mini is a fabulous highway and snow car, so there are no worries there.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-25-2007, 11:22 AM
The new Z06.

CuatrodeMayo
07-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Looking for a 4Runner.

Plans:

http://www.mycolorado.org/images/poststockgallery/images/a.jpg

http://www.mycolorado.org/images/4runnin/images/antero3.jpg

http://www.mycolorado.org/images/4runnin/images/italian5.jpg

Rifleman2C
07-25-2007, 12:30 PM
I know it is not nearly as cool as a 4Runner, but I would easily buy another Toyota, too. However, I would buy another Toyota Prius (wait...wait... hold the tomatoes; hear me out). My wife and I have owned and driven a Prius since 2001 (back when they still looked a bit like a Corolla) and it is an excellent buy that is incredibly easy on maintenance and gasoline costs. Sure, it is not the most powerful thing on the freeway, but it will easily do 85+ on the Autobahns when we trip over to Germany. And after 117K miles, we are still getting 45 MPG average (city and highway driving). So, I'm sold, and I hear that Toyota has only improved the design and fuel efficiency... what's not to like about that?

MadMonk
07-25-2007, 03:06 PM
I like the concept behind the Prius - though not so much the styling.

Since I've sworn off buying new cars, I wonder about long-term reliabilty and maintenance (even with Toyota's good reputation in that area). Have you ever had any problems with it? When do the batteries wear out and how much does it cost to replace them? Do you think a used Prius would be a wise investment?

Misty
07-25-2007, 03:15 PM
The best car? NONE! I loved not having one in ATX. My old, but paid cash for, 95 (i think) Honda.....um....Civic? (i think) is fine for the amount of driving I do, but what I REALLY want is a 1964 1/2 convertible baby blue mustang...all original....or a boy that owns one.........HA!

tuck
07-25-2007, 04:26 PM
I need an International Scout in a bad way. Any leads?

windowphobe
07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
The Prius hybrid system (including the battery pack) carries an 8-year/100,000-mile warranty, so I suspect it's probably a fairly-safe used-car buy.

(The battery pack runs about $3000.)

Rifleman2C
07-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Since I've sworn off buying new cars, I wonder about long-term reliabilty and maintenance (even with Toyota's good reputation in that area). Have you ever had any problems with it? When do the batteries wear out and how much does it cost to replace them? Do you think a used Prius would be a wise investment?

I've little doubt that the any Prius would be a good investment... it certainly has been for us. As windowphobe mentioned above, the battery packs are warrantied for 8 years/100K anyway. Even though our battery packs are outside the warranty window, the batteries are not showing any signs of wearing out or degrading. I think the biggest problem you will have is finding a used Prius... most of the Prius owners seem to buy them new, like them, and hang on to them.

As mentioned, we've been driving ours since September 2001 in extremely varied conditions (we've been on trips through the desert southwest, throughout the southeast, and lately through the United Kingdom, France, Belgium and Germany)without any major maintenance issues. Our Prius seems to be roughly equally comfortable and fuel efficient with a 1,000 mile trip or just a trip around town.

CuatrodeMayo
07-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Off-topic:

Rifleman: What did it take to get the car overseas?

Dark Jedi
07-26-2007, 07:15 AM
I need an International Scout in a bad way. Any leads?

Actually, yes. Kinda.

Someone restored a 74 Scout II to a really nice condition, then sold it to a dealer in Amarillo.
No one wants it, mainly because they don't know what it is. I forget the name, but it's right at 45th and I-27.

I'm a Scout lover myself, but I restrict myself to the original Scout series. Last baby is a 69 Scout Ambassador. I have owned 2 scouts, a 66 Scout 800 and the current one. I bought the 66 in 1989, and it finally died a horrible death in California in 1994. So I bought the new one and drove it out to North Carolina where I was being transferred, and enjoyed it until 2 years ago, when I gave it as a gift to one of my old Marine buddies. His car died just before deploying, so his wife and baby needed something reliable while he's gone. I had swapped in a freshly rebuilt I6 engine, so it was gonna last another 30 years or so.

Rifleman2C
07-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Rifleman: What did it take to get the car overseas?

The military shipped it, so all I needed was a clear title, a set of orders, a lot of insurance that was specific to Europe, and more patience than a saint. But when it finally did arrive after a couple of months in transit, it was a snap to pick up and get registered here... but only because we had a long established process to follow. And I knew the pitfalls from already having registered my Subaru...

The Subaru I shipped on my dime, and it was even easier (and faster) to get through a commercial shipping company in Florida, but it did cost me... $$

Back to topic:

Does anybody else that posts here own a Hybrid, past or present? If so, would you consider buying another one?

CuatrodeMayo
07-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Rifleman.

I would definitly consider a hybrid. But what I am waiting for is a hybrid crate motor for retrofitting older vehicles (my 87 Silverado).

OkieKAS
07-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I prefer the Jeep Cherokee. I have 2 of them.

Past vehicles:

Ford Bronco, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Chevy Silverado PU, Park Avenue, Lincoln, my sons own Ford Mustangs & Toyota 4 Runners.

I prefer the Jeep out of all of them. When it comes time to actually utilizing any vehicle, the JEEP is the one that goes anywhere, does all.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Jeep Wranglers are hard to beat for doing what they're good at.

Just don't drive from TX to CA in one with a 6" lift and mud tires on it.

You'll never get the crook out of your neck or the "BWAAWAAWAAWAAWAAWAA" sound from the tires out of your head.

OkieKAS
08-03-2007, 10:25 AM
The other day I saw a pastel pink HUMMER !

EGADS!:dizzy:

Misty
08-03-2007, 10:31 AM
The other day I saw a pastel pink HUMMER !

EGADS!:dizzy:

Fabulous. I totally want a pink car. After I get my baby blue mustang...

OkieKAS
08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I would have to say the HUMMER looked chic. I would stick with the baby blue 'stang, tho. That is just way too sweet, Misty.

http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~sjc42/65%20baby%20blue%20mustang.jpg

fromdust
08-03-2007, 07:02 PM
im with bailjumper down to every detail. that way is the best way.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-04-2007, 12:23 AM
im with bailjumper down to every detail. that way is the best way.

Unless you're like me and cars/trucks and the things you can do with them is a hobby. I use my vehicles as more than transportation, I use them for entertainment. An expensive hobby that I'll continue to pursue as long as I'm financially capable of doing so. Nothing like a buddy coming over with a case of beer, his brand new pickup, and a 3/5 lowering kit. That makes my weekend.

Heck, I've got a 2WD pickup that's been lowered AND lifted in the last couple of years. Right now it looks like a 4x4.

Working on vehicles, tinkering around with them, and DRIVING them is great therapy for me. Gets me unplugged from the computer world (my bread and butter) when I crack a knuckle on an intake manifold.

Bottom line...It's worth the money to me. Although I DO try and pay cash for toys. I've only bought one brand new vehicle in my life, and that's because it was the first year they made them, there weren't any used ones.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-04-2007, 05:14 AM
Coolest car of all time right here.

http://members.cox.net/nukeim/lanbro-lee.jpg

fromdust
08-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Coolest car of all time right here.

http://members.cox.net/nukeim/lanbro-lee.jpg

now that is nice.:bow:

CuatrodeMayo
08-05-2007, 07:24 AM
That is what I call "the best of both worlds".

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Makes me wonder what the horn sounds like. Does it play Dixie with tones from an accordion?

Dustbowl
03-05-2008, 04:27 PM
The best car in the world is ANY company car.

Karried
03-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Have you seen those cars that have Advertisements all over them.. apparently you can drive them for Free .. at least this was the rumor a while back.

I guess the company gets free advertising and the driver gets a free ride for a while... pretty cool.

Chefdavies
03-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I'd like a 65 mustang fastback, with a Boss 302, and a 5-speed ( i know they didnt have those yet), and a "locked" 9in rearend......Red please

Codoria
03-13-2008, 09:23 AM
I will be purchasing a new 3500 Dodge 4DR 4x4 in the next couple of weeks.

mheaton76
03-13-2008, 10:31 AM
I drive a Volvo, S80 - my first was a 1987 240 DL that I had back in college. I have to admit, I really love Volvos. I have been a bit concerned about Ford's ownership, but it's really been a great car, would by another one. Just be sure to by used like I did since they take a MASSIVE hit on the depreciation.

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

CuatrodeMayo
03-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Just got my 87 Silverado SWB back from the shop...I feel like a man again.

FRISKY
03-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Just got my 87 Silverado SWB back from the shop...I feel like a man again.Gun rack in back window?

Karried
03-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Just got my 87 Silverado SWB back from the shop...I feel like a man again.

Ha! Hubbies truck is getting prettified too.

He bought it lifted with giant tires on it and he now need new ones.

You won't believe what big tires cost! Can you imagine this scenario? $1500 bucks for new tires ( I'm having heart palpitations as we speak) then getting a phone call from the Alignment company.... your ball joints need to be replaced because of the huge tires ... how much? $800.00

aaaahhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggggg!

Men and their toys!

CuatrodeMayo
03-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Gun rack in back window?

No. This isn't a hillbilly truck.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Ha! Hubbies truck is getting prettified too.

He bought it lifted with giant tires on it and he now need new ones.

You won't believe what big tires cost! Can you imagine this scenario? $1500 bucks for new tires ( I'm having heart palpitations as we speak) then getting a phone call from the Alignment company.... your ball joints need to be replaced because of the huge tires ... how much? $800.00

aaaahhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggggg!

Men and their toys!

I know the feeling. I just put tires on a truck that I'm selling. THAT was tough. Especially because they're 20" rims. That pretty much adds about 30-40 percent to the price right there. Plus, they've got to be speed rated due to the performance nature of the beast. So I can sell it....SHEESH.

And my other truck...Well...It was lowered, now it's lifted...It's been through a few sets of tires itself.

I'd offer to help out with the balljoints, but last time I did a set of those, I learned 14 new curse words before I got done with the first side.

The things I do for my "hobby".

Thunder
06-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Back in college, I was 18, I've gotten the Chevy S-10 for several months. After a while, it had gotten to small, so I decided to trade for Hyundai Santa Fe. I loved it, but I didn't understand at the time about the upside down cost of trading in too soon. The end result that I ended up losing it. A few years gone by, I've started to get back on my feet and trying to take care of every debt that I've managed to pile up from way back. Mom wouldn't cosign for me, cuz she kept saying that I wouldn't pay for the new car on time. Okay, so I went to Express Credit Auto and I was approved for $12,000 limit, so I got the red Dodge Stratus SXT Coupe. It is nice, like brand new, and saves a lot of gas. Now, it recently hit $40 to fill up the tank from empty, so If I only use it strictly for work, it will last me 2 weeks.

This car costs me $200 every two weeks and the insurance is $175 a month (I do not know why it gone up...). I pay rent, cable, electric, gas, pets food, and some other bills. It has been several months now that I never was able to buy a full load of grocery, so mom can see that I'm struggling, but continues to barely meet ends. She tells me that it is high, $400 a month for a used car. I tell her, well, if she would have just cosigned, I could get a new car for $100 to $200 a month.

I really want the Hyundai Santa Fe. They changed the design and the inside looks so much cooler. I've been thinking about keeping the car for 6 months or so, then try to see if the dealership will accept me without cosigner. I'll have proof that I'm paying $400 a month on this used car each month, so they should definately accept me, since the cost of the SUV would be much less on longer payment term.

Hyundai Santa Fe does save gas. It does better than the S-10. So, I'll bet that it will save great as the Dodge Stratus that I have.

kevinpate
06-13-2008, 06:34 PM
my next car will either be a rebuild of an exister, or another similar. Prior requirements used to be how many lil' darlins can fit and each have a seatbelt (lots of Scouting trips in the day.)m Today's requirements has the focus of does the 3/4 bass fit and also allow the artist +1-2 to also fit.

Angelina
08-09-2008, 12:17 AM
I think the biggest problem you will have is finding a used Prius... most of the Prius owners seem to buy them new, like them, and hang on to them.

Angelina

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
08-10-2008, 10:36 AM
I would have to go with a white lexus ls

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I would have to go with a white lexus ls

You'd need a promotion. :sofa:

Thunder
08-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm considering on getting the Hyundai Santa Fe and wanting to know which is better, FWD or AWD?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-10-2008, 01:38 PM
You don't need AWD here but for (on average) 1 week a year. And front wheel drive would be fine.

AWD will make the vehicle a little heavier and give you a bit more parasitic power loss in the drivetrain...Resulting in slightly worse gas mileage.

Thunder
08-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks! As they say, less is better. :)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-10-2008, 01:47 PM
One of my trucks is AWD...Which makes it easy to launch when I go to the track...But it's a hair slower too...For what that's worth :D

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
08-10-2008, 02:14 PM
You'd need a promotion. :sofa:

not a new one

NativeOkie
08-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I drive a corvette. Good on gas inspite of what people think.
Great car according to a service manager friend is the Hundai. He does not work for one of their dealerships.
Heard good things about the cooper.(mini)
Personally I would never ever buy a ford again.
That's me.
Gave me a Ford i would give it away.

Thunder
08-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Mom is considering what SUV to get and she does not want a Ford, because they force people to have their vehicle serviced only at Ford shops. I dunno if this is true, but Ford just need to drop this whole 'different tools' crap.