View Full Version : Favorite U.S. Vacation Spots

CMSturgeon
03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Although the water isn't clear blue like I dreamt it would be, I had a lot of fun vacationing in Galveston before my cruise. South Dakota is also a nice place to go, especially to see Mt. Rushmore, although it rains a lot. Been to Branson, New Orleans, Omaha (not vacation), Dallas.... not too many places I suppose.

My favorite so far is Galveston.

Karried
03-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I like Galveston also.. the water is murky but warm and fun.. we spent a lot of time in the Hilton pool (had a swim up bar of course!)

I love Branson because I love roller coasters.

But my favorite is Santa Barbara - all along the West coast .... it's so funny, I took CA so much for granted when living there.. now I can't believe I wasn't at the beach all the time! We lived 35 min away!

Of course, Northern California beaches are freezing cold but so gorgeous.. Carmel was my favorite .. again, I can't believe I was so close..

If I could rewind my life and had to do it again I would have bought a home 20 years ago in Monterey or Carmel and lived happily ever after - on equity.

Easy180
03-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I am an avid outdoorsman so.............

Have to go with Vegas!!

escan
03-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Key West! Tons of fun, although not wonderful beaches. Also love the Pacific NW...the Pinots in Oregon are incredible. Vegas is fun, of course, but NO relaxing there.

Favorite in the States, has to be Key West, though for overall vacation fun.

Tim
03-22-2007, 01:20 PM
At the moment, my vote goes to Tuttle with Vegas running a tight second. Taking a trip to Napa in the Fall so I may have to revise later.

Karried
03-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Trust me, you will revise.. Napa is stunning. Since you ride, you will love, love it! In fact ,if you go missing in action and we never see you again, we'll know where you moved.

I can't believe I forgot the Inside Passage.. but technically, it's al little out of the area.. I don't care.. I love it there.. I love Orcas, Eagles and the scenery was to die for.. why, oh why did we start this thread.. now I'm having vacation withdrawals.

Where is the most exotic locale you've ever visited?

Tim
03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
10 days in the Machiavelli family hunting lodge in Tuscany. Farmhouse in Tuscany, accommodation in Tuscany Castello di Bibbione apartments in Villa (http://www.castellodibibbione.com) . We stayed in La Turetta.

Angelicfly
03-22-2007, 02:12 PM
I can say a LEAST favorite vacation spot: Navarre Beach, Florida.

We don't really vacation in the states much... most of my family is in Germany so we always scrape money together to see my cousins, aunts n uncles, & Oma n Opa.

I don't vacation in Branson... my Grandma lives there so I visit her. I stay for free! whooopee! Plus she gets discounts since she's a resident.

Karried
03-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Most exotic for me.. Grand Cayman, Rum Point.. my favorite, I love snorkeling there.

Belize cave tubing was pretty cool.. tropical paradise.. St Thomas & all the Virgin Islands ...Jamaica is a trip but amazing scenery and gorgeous beaches...I like Cozumel - Paradise Beach..Haiti is poor, poor, poor. Mexican Riviera is nice but I don't like Puerto Vallarta.. but I love all the other beaches along the west coast. Mazatlan is nice.

Traveling is my passion. I love the tropics.. if I could move to Hawaii tomorrow I would. I can't wait to go to Fiji, Australia, Greece, Tahiti, Bali, Costa Rica, Acapulco, Italy, Ireland too etc etc..I just need to win the lottery first..

Tim
03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Karried, try this one Puerto Vallarta Rentals: Villas and Condominiums (http://www.vallartavillas.com/htmlads1/myrna.htm)

CCOKC
03-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I visited Charleston SC last summer and loved it. I had just visited my dad in Hawaii a couple of weeks before and can honestly say the water was warmer in SC than in Hawaii. Very surprising. The town is also full of history. I also love New York. Everybody should visit Ellis Island once in their lives. But hands down my favorite place to visit is Washington DC. I lived there for four months about fifteen years ago and was amazed at how much there is to see. Most things are free (courtesy of our tax dollars of course). Not to miss is Arlington National Cemetery and JFK's burial sight. This is truly the best view of DC.

Tim
03-22-2007, 03:14 PM
DC is pretty awesome! There's a killer Lebanese restaurant in the Crystal City area.

CMSturgeon
03-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Speaking of foreign food. Has anyone bought from a Mediterranean market? I was wondering what might be good to try. I noticed one recently opened over here off of 38th & N. May in the same shopping center as Pole Position.

Karried
03-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Tim that is awesome.. very beautiful..

I don't know what it is.. I've been there three times and all three times, I didn't have good experiences. From the overzealous Federales who tried to blackmail all the tourists to the family whose child fell in and the dad tried to rescue her - they both drowned in Mismaloya River to one of the people staying at our hotel being gored by a Boar and having to be airlifted out.. plus the stinging jellyfish and rocky beaches just didn't do it for me.. usually, it takes a lot for me to not like something on a vacation.. give me a Tecate w Lime, all is forgiven but not in Puerto Vallarte... something about sitting on the side of the road for 45 min with rifles being pointed at my children left a bad taste in my mouth..

I prefer Hawaii or the Caribbean.

escan
03-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Karrie-You MUST go to Costa Rica...we LOVE it there. Are planning our retirement there (and I"m only 30).

Karried
03-22-2007, 03:48 PM
That's where I want to retire!! With some friends.. we talk about it all the time!

But I went on line and read some strange stories about real estate so I got a little scared but when I heard about the cheap plastic surgery, I was all over it! ha,ha.. what better place to retire??

No, but seriously, I am honestly looking into buying land there now and holding onto it.

Have you found something? Let me know, we'll be neighbors.

Tim
03-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Tim that is awesome.. very beautiful..

I don't know what it is.. I've been there three times and all three times, I didn't have good experiences. From the overzealous Federales who tried to blackmail all the tourists to the family whose child fell in and the dad tried to rescue her - they both drowned in Mismaloya River to one of the people staying at our hotel being gored by a Boar and having to be airlifted out.. plus the stinging jellyfish and rocky beaches just didn't do it for me.. usually, it takes a lot for me to not like something on a vacation.. give me a Tecate w Lime, all is forgiven but not in Puerto Vallarte... something about sitting on the side of the road for 45 min with rifles being pointed at my children left a bad taste in my mouth..

I prefer Hawaii or the Caribbean.

Bummer! I guess I'm more the John Huston type. Great restaurants, beaucoup local bars and no spring-breakers make it to Mismaloya. Oh well, I guess it's Tuscany for you. You have your orders, get moving!

Lauri101
03-22-2007, 04:08 PM
I love to travel, particularly car trips!

Santa Fe, NM, Las Vegas (in short spurts), Tennessee - Smoky Mountains, North and South Carolina, San Diego, San Francisco - those are some of the car trips we've taken in the last 5 years. This year, we're heading west again -one week in Santa Fe and three days in Vegas. I'm going to be working in Vegas - union training, but I'm sure I'll get in a bit of nickel slots. We'll also stop at Laughlin for a day of $5 blackjack!

We also went to Oahu 4 years ago, but couldn't drive to that one! :)

And last year's trip to Germany and Venice, Italy was divine!

dismayed
03-22-2007, 04:52 PM
I like South Carolina a lot too. Charleston is great, especially taking the day to look at all the old houses and touring the big ships out in the dock. I've been a lot of places, both on the east and west coast, and I think Mertyle Beach, SC may be my favorite beach. It's very clean, the people are friendly, and there's a lot of great touristy stuff to see like the pier and "Barefoot Landing." Also there are more golf courses and Putt Putt courses there than just about anywhere else I can think of.

Karried
03-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Guess where I'm driving this summer?

Ohio.

Thanks to whoever reminded me of Cedar Point - Home of the best roller coasters.. I'm so there. I know it's not exotic or tropical and I can't drink because I'll throw up on those rides..

Wait, why am I going again?

CMSturgeon
03-22-2007, 05:09 PM
lol. Remember how a couple of weekends ago I went to Dallas? Yeah I have never drank and went to the club, or done so at a club. I quit drinking that day like 2 hours before we went and about 5 minutes into dancing I wanted to puke. How do people do that? I guess I really get a work out when I go to the club and dance so I don't see how you could do that drunk. Or, ride roller coasters drunk.

PUGalicious
03-22-2007, 05:09 PM
With gas prices on the rise, I'm going to stick to Oklahoma destinations and explore more treasures this state has to offer.

CMSturgeon
03-22-2007, 05:10 PM
You sound like Metro in regards to the Dallas trips.

mranderson
03-22-2007, 05:13 PM
California and Florida.

escan
03-22-2007, 05:43 PM
We want to live in the Nicoya Peninsula...it's wonderful. Remote enough that it's not totally commercialized, but still close to San Jose by plane (30 min). Be careful...it's hard to buy land there...or actually hold onto it. They have VERY liberal squatter's rights.

floater
03-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Funny to see this thread, as I just came back from a vacation yesterday. The destination for my friends and me was South Beach in Miami. It was an instant favorite for a bunch of guys who have widely ranging interests.

What's not to like? Sandy beaches fronting clear blue seas, palm trees, the Cuban/Latino flavor, the beautiful people, pastel Art Deco architecture and busy pedestrian walks. My friends went to Miami hoping to check out college coeds, but instead they found models galore. We patrolled Lincoln Road Mall for a late Sunday night dinner and found a very hopping scene.

But Miami isn't my absolute favorite. I agree with Tim: I will never turn down an opportunity to go to DC, except my excuse is a coffeehouse in Adams-Morgan called Tryst.