View Full Version : Frontier City

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

okcpulse
07-20-2004, 12:31 AM
While I wear my Oklahoma City pride on my sleeve, always upbeat about the change happening in our community and the fact that Oklahoma City is on the move, I couldn't help but express my frustration toward Frontier City Theme Park.

Some of you may not be aware, but five years ago Frontier City bought and dismantled a steel roller coaster from Astroworld in Houston. Today, it still sits in pieces at Frontier City on their storage premises. The roller coaster was called the Excalibur, and if erected would have been Oklahoma's tallest, largest and fastest steel roller coaster (although not much taller than the Silver Bullet). Furthermore, the park, owned by Oklahoma City-based (at the park) Six Flags, had another 80 acres of undeveloped land. Just what in the hell are park officials waiting for on this ride... or any other potential new roller coasters?

I am a coaster enthusiast. Spending my life (I'll soon be 26) in Oklahoma City, I as well as many other locals have grown tired of the same four roller coasters Frontier City has offered for THE LAST TEN YEARS! Not to mention the number of rides always closed visit after visit.

It is no surprise, that with park attendance dwindling (and don't give me that post 9/11 crap, or "it's been a slower season because of weather"), and what is in my opinion high admission fees for rides I have ridden a thousand times, Frontier City officials have ignored my letters of complaints, refusing to communicate regularly with roller coaster magazines and sharing no information with the local press.

Frontier City Theme Park has lost its appeal as a community attraction and citizen, which no doubt contributes very little to Oklahoma City as an entertainment option, and presents itself as a cheap "kiddie park" with no sign of any drastic improvement or major expansion plan down the road. If any of you Frontier City officials are reading this... are you catching my drift? Get the hint? You have short-changed me as a customer, let me down as a roller coaster enthusiast, and let this community down by keeping to yourselves out there on I-35. Six Flags has in no way benefitted Oklahoma City by being based here, other than to keep its investments going out of state.

So, I will no longer spend my money or time at Frontier City, and will no longer purchase a season pass. Oklahoma City's renaissance has left you behind, and so have I.

floater
07-20-2004, 06:19 AM
Six Flags is having problems; they're not meeting expectations:

Six Flags down on revenue slump
Attendance at amusement parks off in first half of year
By William Spain, CBS.MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 4:10 PM ET July 16, 2004
E-mail it | Print | Alert | Reprint | RSS

CHICAGO (CBS.MW) -- Shares of Six Flags flew down more than 25 percent Friday after the company reported slumping revenue and attendance at its amusement parks.

Late Thursday, Six Flags reported that park-level revenue for the first six months of the year is down almost 1 percent, while attendance dropped 4 percent to 12.8 million.

Six Flags (PKS: news, chart, profile) need with a loss of $1.60 at $4.72 after scraping as low as $4.62 during the session.

Revenue for the six months ended June 30 is expected to come in between $400 million and $402 million, down approximately $3 million and $5 million from the same period in 2003. Earnings before interest, taxes depreciation and amortization will be about $30 million, down almost $11.8 million, the company said.

Chief Executive Kieran Burke said in written release that "while our performance in the initial part of our season has been uneven, we were generally tracking slightly ahead of prior year through mid-June."

However, the company "experienced a sharp decline in the last two weeks of June" and was "negatively affected by the later Memorial Day holiday which resulted in significantly fewer operating days in the 2004 period."

He also cited bad weather in certain key markets for the decline, although "the attendance shortfalls we have experienced have been offset somewhat by very strong per capita spending growth through June 30."

The company's Northeast parks were hit by bad weather in 2003; while conditions have been markedly better there this time around, Mother Nature turned her ire to Illinois, Georgia and Texas in 2004.

Things have picked up slightly in July with a 0.5 percent blip in revenue for the first few weeks of the month, Burke added.

The declines come in the face the company's most aggressive ad campaign in years.

In a note to investors, Bear Stearns analyst Glen Reid wrote that results were a disappointment as the "the trends were softer than expected. Despite the improvement in the economy, the new ad campaign and the better weather in certain key markets, clearly we underestimated the negative effects of certain other factors."

mranderson
07-20-2004, 05:49 PM
The biggest problem with Frontier City is that it is not in good enough condition to be in the big leagues. Oklahoma City needs a big league theme park. Disney or Universal would be ideal.
Frontier City, to me, is a dump. They need better rides, better shows, and to be updated and remodeled, as well as a major expansion program.
A Universal walk concept or the Disney equvilant would be good. Plus rename it Six Flags-Oklahoma City, and incorporate some of the same attractions as the other Six Flags parks across the country.
Get rid of the Frontier City concept.

floater
07-20-2004, 06:34 PM
From a PR point of view, naming the park Six Flags Oklahoma City would be a two-fer. More out-of-state visitors would be interested (because of the brand name), and Oklahoma City would look much more major league.

But Six Flags usually doesn't name parks after cities. What about Six Flags on the Great Plains , Six Flags Oklahoma, or Six Flags Native America?

Patrick
07-20-2004, 10:10 PM
I think the reason Six Flags hasn't changed the name of Frontier City, is because they're drawing so many Oklahomans to Six Flags in Arlington.

You know, I've had several friend in the past that were managers out at Frontier City. They said the rumors were always the same....that Six Flags was holding on to the 80 acres of land to the west of the park to someday expand the park.
Well, I have to say, I've been hearing this crap for too many years now. It's about time Six Flags did something with that land and make Frontier City a better theme park.

I know Tulsans would tell us we shouldn't complain because Frontier City is a heck of a lot nicer than Bells Amusement Park (or should I say carnival park!!!! :D ) but I still think we could do better. The international headquarters for Six Flags is at Frontier City, for crying out loud. Seems like they'd want their nices park to be where there headquarters is located.

OKC Pulse, I was fully aware of the Excalibur ride that you were referring to. It is sitting in storage on the grounds of the park. And my friends out there told me that it was supposed to be part of the redevelopment plan at Frontier City. But you know what? I was told that about 4 years ago, and I haven't hear anymore about it since.

I think it's kind of strange that Six Flags bought Excalibur from Astroworld, because they now own astroworld! :) But, I guess they bought it back when they didn't own Astroworld. Beats me why the ride is sitting in storage now!

You know, I read an article similar to the one that floater posted, only it went further to say exactly why Six Flags was in the financial problems they were in. For the past few years now, Six Flags has been pocketing the profits instead of reinvesting it in new rides and attractions. Theme park-goers have grown tired of the same old rides and have simply stopped going.

I think OKC Pulse hit the nail on the head when he said that he was tired of going to Frontier City and seeing the same 4 roller coasters out there. If Six Flags expects to make money off of their parks, they're going to have to invest in them. And I don't mean by buying little sucky rides like he Tomahawk either.....I mean new coasters, bigger thrills.

Back in the days when Six Flags was still owned by the original Six Flags, and not by OKC based Premier Parks (the old name of the OKC-based corporation), they used to have a new major ride at their parks every season. Doesn't seem like OKC-based Six Flags has kept up with that tradition.

I don't think getting someone in here like Disney is necessarily the answer. I think Six Flags is a good brand and name in theme park entertainment. I think they're currently just in a phase of pure mismanagement. They're stock is showing it.

Until management changes their attitude about all of this, nothig is going to change.

You know...this reminds me a lot of the fall of old Shepherd Mall. You know...a lot of people blame the fall of Shepherd Mall on the expansion of nearby Penn Square Mall! Or some blamne it on the declining neighborhood around Shepherd Mall. Although both of those factors played some role in Shepherd Mall's demise, they aren't the main reason the mall died. At the time Penn Square was going through expansion (1986-1988), Shepherd Mall was still the main shopping destination in town. Problem was the mall was owned by a guy from out of the country that cared little about the mall, and cared mostly about his pocket book. He charged high rents, pocketed the money, and didn't reinvest any of the money into the mall. If he had taken the profits he was making from high rents, and reinvested it back into the mall, he could've added on a second floor at Shepherd, updated the mall, and been able to compete with Penn Square.
Well, he pocketed the money, and in the meantime, all of the tenants moved to the newer and better Penn Square Mall, and Shepherd Mall became history.

Well, currently, Six Flags is Shepherd Mall. If they don't get their act together soon, they're going to be history!

Oh.....and people could care less about ads. Face it.....people know the parks are there. Why do they have to spend the money advertising so heavily. I think people would rather they take the money they spent on advertising and divert it to improving their parks!

Face it.....back in 1992....OKC could've put on as many commercials across the country as it wanted to, promoting our attractions. But it wasn't going to change the fact that back in 1992 OKC sucked! Instead, OKC was smart and reinvested money into itself! Look at the results! People around the country know about OKC not because we've spent a lot of money on ads, but because we've invested money into our city and made it a premier destination.

Patrick
07-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Just wanted to add...I think OKC Pulse's message clearly states Six Flags' problem.

"Frontier City Theme Park has lost its appeal as a community attraction and citizen, which no doubt contributes very little to Oklahoma City as an entertainment option, and presents itself as a cheap "kiddie park" with no sign of any drastic improvement or major expansion plan down the road. If any of you Frontier City officials are reading this... are you catching my drift? Get the hint? You have short-changed me as a customer, let me down as a roller coaster enthusiast, and let this community down by keeping to yourselves out there on I-35. Six Flags has in no way benefitted Oklahoma City by being based here, other than to keep its investments going out of state.

So, I will no longer spend my money or time at Frontier City, and will no longer purchase a season pass. Oklahoma City's renaissance has left you behind, and so have I."

That's the exact reason Six Flags is losing customers. They're not offering their customers anything new. They're choosing to pocket their money instead. I would say it's just Frontier City, but it's not. I went to Six Flags in Arlington awhile back, and it wasn't nbearly as nice as I had remembered it prior to Premier Parks buying it.

OKC Pulse, you might consider sending your post to the Six Flags Headquarters. Mail it to them, Six Flags, Attn. Kieran Burke, CEO, 11501 NE Expressway, Oklahoma City, OK 73131
Or you can call them at (405) 475-2500

okcpulse
07-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Thank you very much for the suggestion, Patrick. I will do just that, and I hope that in some way it will get their attention... let them know that their poor management is currently being discussed on a growing forum.

Patrick
07-21-2004, 11:39 AM
You might put c/o Frontier City on the envelope if you decided to send them a letter! I'll try to send them a letter to. The more letters (and complaints) they get, the better!

Nuclear_2525
07-21-2004, 11:26 PM
The reason Frontier City will never change, and should never change its name is because Six-Flags claims it as their original park. So the name is never going to change for that reason. I am really not sure why everyone on the forum wants to see a generic, non-unique name come to the theme park. Every single Six-Flags is almost exactly the same...I would hate to see our uniquely themed park change into something tasteless and boring like Dallas, Atlanta, and others are so proud to show off.

I'll try to find the story, but I can't believe none of you heard, especially since you are so sensitive to this subject. Anyway, the story was announced by Six Flags, and I even emailed them a few months ago in response to their story and got a reply. The story stated that Frontier City does have current plans to begin expansion onto the 80-acre site, adding several new roller coasters and other rides, along with the purchase of even more land for more future expansion. It was the best theme-park news I had heard in a long time. I live close to Tulsa, and I really enjoy coming to Frontier City, it puts Bells to shame(one wooden roller coaster, few other rides, and the fear of ending up like the people who rode the wildcat!) Although I think the price is currently a little steep, there is nothign to be ashamed of in Frontier City. Almost every time I drive by there, it is so packed that people have to park on the grass in front of the park to fit in.

I don't think OKC needs "six-flags" to move into the big leagues...I don't even think OKC needs a major theme park for that. Take Austin...to me Austin is a city that is making real progress...even over the almighty Dallas...but I couldn't tell you the name of the Austin theme park, or even if they have one. OKC needs to focus on the attributes that will make it different from other cities...not the ones that will make it the exact same. Forget the theme-park, and forget all the major league sports(even though it would be nice). OKC needs to focus on city-wide beautification, cleaning the trash off the streets(paper trash, not people) and more downtown improvements. Once it can accomplish these things, and do it without copying other cities, then OKC will becom major-league. A park alone will not attract tourists and young entepreneurs, but a unique, cosmipolitan, vibrant city will.

okcpulse
07-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Wow, thanks for the update and info, nuclear 2525. And again, welcome to the Oklahoma City forum.

okcpulse
07-21-2004, 11:37 PM
P.S., does anyone know what happened to the skin options. I personally preferred the plasma skin!

Nuclear_2525
07-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Glad to be a part of the "Rennaisance"...especially since this will be my city too for the next 5 years! Maybe longer! I guess I am probably the perfect example of what OKC and Tulsa should be fighting for. When I get out of college, I will go for the city that has the most to offer. Right now? It would be OKC, but the recent Vision 2025 is going to put Tulsa right up there, especially since Tulsa followed OKC and investors are being more risky early on with Tulsa's vision. It took OKC a while to get everyone interested when Tulsa's took right off...but like I said, that is only because OKC was the pioneer and Tulsa followed suit. Anyway, back on subject, OKC and Tulsa will forever compete for the young professionals along with every other city, so I guess it's an eternal race to see who can put up the best fight!

okcpulse
07-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Looks like you've got a split decision there, nuclear (he-he)!

Continue the Renaissance!

Nuclear_2525
07-22-2004, 12:07 AM
That was a very confusing post, even when I was typing it! Oh well...just hoped it would come out better than what I was thinking...guess I really didn't accomplish anything with it!

okcpulse
07-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Actually, it made sense to me.. and I'm three beers sour! But, I better hit the sack soon, or my wife's gonna kill me for staying up so late! Our two year wedding anniversary was on July, 20, so things have been both busy and celebrating.

Patrick
07-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Hey OKC Pulse....congrats on your 2 year annniversary! She actually put up with you that long??? Just kidding!!!
I just got engaged, and I still can't believe she said yes!!!!! LOL Just kidding! We've been dating or 8 years, and if I didn't ask her there was going to be a homicide around the NW 63rd and May Ave. area (I live around that area)!!!

Nuclear, you are so true when you say OKC needs to strive to be unique. It's just so easy at times when you'e thinking big, to want to copy off your bigger neighbors.

I guess the main reason many here in OKC have really pushed to get the Six Flags name stamped onto Frontier City is for national recognition. People in this city are really trying to put OKC on the national radar screen! That's why we're pushing for pro sports teams, nationally known theme parks, and even theme restaurants in Bricktown like Hard Rock Cafe and the like (although Randy Hogan, developer of Lower Bricktown has recently changed his mind---he originally proposed a Dick Clark's American Bandstand Grill for Bricktown---but now he fels that such attractions would ruin Bricktown's unique local flavor, so he has moved away from those concepts in favor of more local concepts......like the Toby Keith restaurant and theater for example!

In regards to Frontier City, that's great news to hear. I knew Six Flags had plans of one day expanding Frontier City, but those have been rumors for many years now. I'd love to see the story you're referring to! I'm sure Steve Lackmeyer, with the Daily Oklahoman, a frequent reader of this site, would probably like to see the info as well!

From reading this, it might give him a tip on a news story, as he sometimes gets ideas from forums such as this one.

Yeah, I know Frontier City is way nicer than Bells, but you know how things go.....you always want something better and you covet what your neighbor has. Well, as some Tulsans look to OKC and KC for ideas, we (not me, but Oklahoma Citians in general) look to Dallas and San Antonio for ideas! It's like trying to keep up with the Jones's.

One thing I do wish.......the 40 or so acres to the west of White Water Bay were recently up for sale....the land were on the market for 5+ years! I thought for sure that Six Flags would buy the land! There's a strip mall sitting there now. I think Six Flags missed an opportunity there for future expansion of White Water Bay!

Anyways, if you can fnd that story on Frontier City, we'd love to see it!

floater
07-22-2004, 06:43 AM
Welcome to the forum, nuclear. Good to have some Tulsan perspectives. Thanks for the contributions you've made already.

Todd
07-22-2004, 11:06 AM
okcpulse,

Sorry about that. We had to narrow down the skin selection because most of them were not compatible with the forum software upgrade.

Take Care,
oktalk

okcpulse
07-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Darn it :rolleyes: Oh well, at least it wasn't the hybrid skin :p

russellc
09-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I just heard that Six Flags AstroWorld in Houston is closing, and they are going to be sending their rides to other Six Flags around the country. I hope they send a few up this way.

Patrick
09-13-2005, 04:43 PM
If my mind serves me correctly, I think we have one of their rides already here in storage. okcpulse, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't really see Six Flags expanding Frontier City anytime soon, especially since they're in such huge debt. They'll probably send the rides to larger parks with open space already available that won't need clearing out.

okcpulse
09-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Patrick, you are correct. A roller coaster that once belonged to Astrowold, the Excalibur, is in pieces at Frontier City's storage grounds. And, unfortunately, no sign of the park resurrecting the ride.

Well, now that we'll be leaving for Houston in 3 1/2 months, I am going to be living in the country's fourth most populated city with.... no theme park. How about those apples!

Patrick
09-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Maybe!

-------------
"What does the Six Flags sale hold for Oklahoma City?
by Brian Brus
The Journal Record
9/15/2005

Even with Six Flags' planned divestment of Houston's AstroWorld announced this week, industry analysts said they are no closer to determining the most likely buyer of the Oklahoma City-based amusement park giant.
However, the sale of the single Texas park, seen by many as an attempt to cash in on real estate values over diminished park ticket returns, suggests Six Flags may be willing to sell off individual, smaller properties instead of a full, 30-park sweep, said Amusement Today magazine publisher Gary Slade and Motley Fool senior stock analyst Rick A. Munarriz.

Slade believes that puts Oklahoma City's own Frontier City in a bad position. The park on Interstate 35 has served as Six Flags' nominal headquarters since the company was bought from Time Warner by Premier Parks in 1997, even though Six Flags also operates out of New York.

"It's one of the properties that should be sold. Absolutely," Slade said. "It just doesn't have the attendance; it can't produce more than a half million people a year; and it takes too much time and effort to run a park like that when you could be concentrating on a park that's doing 1.5 million people or 2 million people a year. The smaller properties should be cut loose."

Munarriz agreed in part: "I don't think all the smaller parks are at risk. It's the parks that are sitting on valuable real estate and aren't producing that well. When you look at AstroWorld, for example, they realized that land in the middle of the city had appreciated in value and they hadn't put a lot of money into it.

"But in Oklahoma City? I just don't see that happening for the same reasons. It would almost be a symbolic surrender to give up Frontier City, and I don't think they're ready for that," he said. "Oklahoma City may actually even get an old AstroWorld ride or two for next season."

Market watchers are still unsure of stockholder Dan Snyder's intentions. The Washington Redskins owner prompted Six Flags' move to the auction block last month by trying to secure a 34.9 percent stake in the company, effectively giving him control. Snyder has aggressively pushed for Kieran Burke's ouster as chairman and chief executive of Six Flags.

"It's almost like they're two people playing poker, and now that Six Flags has called his bluff - if it is a bluff - they're waiting to see if they can get a third person to join the game," Munarriz said.

Munarriz told The Journal Record that although Disney might seem a logical choice to consume competitor Six Flags, in truth the Mickey Mouse empire can't afford to dilute its current brand nor risk converting a park to its own standards of quality. At most, Disney might look at a single park in Maryland to develop an American Heartland theme.

Dennis Speigel, president of the International Theme Park Services Inc. consulting firm, also put Disney at the top of the list - and promptly dismissed the company as a buyer.

"Really, we have no idea. It's not a highly desirable company as it's currently operated. The major operators in the industry are not clamoring at the door," Speigel said. "If I had to guess, I'd say you're looking at private equity firms such as Blackstone and Apollo. They've been in the business; they know how to operate a company."

Like others in the industry, Spiegel said he expects to see parts of Six Flags fall away before the company decreases its $2 billion debt load to a more defensible position. That's not necessarily a bad thing for a smaller park - it could still be profitable in its own right as a local venue, he said, just not necessarily at the national level as part of Six Flags' chain.

Other big names considered potential suitor material include: Cedar Fair, a smaller theme park competitor; Time Warner, the entertainment media conglomerate; and Anheuser-Busch, which already owns Sea World and Busch Gardens and could use the parks as marketing venues for its other products.

"It's going to have to be some investment-minded person or group from outside the industry that comes forth. I just don't see it being anyone from within the industry," Spiegel said.

Munarriz agreed: "In the end, I don't know if someone is willing to absorb the entire 30-park chain and pay the $3 billion to $4 billion it would take to close that deal. If Six Flags wanted to, they could find suitable buyers for many of their properties and still stay in the game. Or maybe it'll be a private equity firm that will come in and break off parts piecemeal for them," he said.

New York investor Simon Glick recently upped his own investment in Six Flags to nearly 10 percent, Securities and Exchange Commission filings show. Over the past three weeks, Glick paid $64.4 million for a 9.7 percent stake, placing him among the largest 10 shareholders. Snyder is the company's largest investor, currently with 11.7 percent. Other major investors include Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Omaha investor Wallace Weitz's investment fund.

HOT ROD
09-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Gates is a major investor in Six Flags. Hm, I only wish he would revolutionize the parks in the same way he as done with computers. Can you imagine?

HOT ROD
Oh, and leave the hq in OKC.

HOT ROD
Oh, and up Frontier City into a full theme park - maybe move it downtown!!! Like Denver did with their Elitch Gardens.

jbrown84
09-16-2005, 06:44 PM
This has been discussed elsewhere, but I don't think it's practical at all to move Frontier City. As bad as people think it is, it's actually pretty well established and it should just be expanded at that location. Also, if the entire company is sold, the headquarters will go. Count on it. I just hope they will sell some parks off like the article suggests and continue to operate under this same ownership.

Patrick
09-17-2005, 01:02 AM
We'll be lucky if Frontier City stays where it is in its current location. If it wasn't for the HQ being located here, Frontier City probably would've been closed already. Frontier City simply isn't drawing enough revenue to justify it staying open. I have to be honest here....as a business it makes no sense to invest more into Frontier City.

okcpulse
09-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Time for a new theme park! OUT WITH FRONTIER CITY!!!!

jbrown84
09-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Actually in the theme park business, the way to raise attendance is by investing in the park. Trust me, if they take several Astroworld rides and add them to Frontier City, attendance will increase. I haven't been in a couple years, and the main reason is because they haven't added anything new of significance.

jbrown84
09-17-2005, 03:24 PM
As a business decision, it makes much more sense to expand Frontier City at it's current location than to create a brand new park in a new OKC location. Even if they moved most of the rides, that's extremely cost prohibitive.

GrandMaMa
06-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Again, I started following a thread that is a couple of years old, so will not reply to anyone's post, I will just submit a personal comment and suggestion: Frontier City is what it is and I feel is already a good base on which to enrich with "authentic and appropriate" exhibits, games, rides, etc that showcases Oklahoma's rich heritage. Our history and ongoing maturation is nothing to sneeze at and could and should be incorporated into every thread of what's inside the gates of Frontier City. It has been years since I've visited, so again, I may be redundant in my suggestions, but I would like to see Frontier City be an interesting, fun filled, living, breathing, interactive local museum. I don't mean a copy of Branson, but an inviting, teaching, intertaining family friendly, ever evolving place that peaks the interest of all ages, Oklahoma natives or not. It could also use an effective marketing orginization that actively recruites businesses, large and small for their training and recreational needs..'course, I guess they would have to have something to offer if they did that, correct?

Midtowner
06-25-2006, 11:41 AM
My guess is that Frontier City in its current state is worth more as just land than it is as a Them Park. Expect to see an outlet mall or something of that nature take the park's place.

Same for White Water.

jbrown84
06-25-2006, 02:38 PM
White Water maybe, but I adamantly disagree about Frontier City.

It is NOT in bad shape and it is NOT an eyesore. With the state of the development around it, no developer is going to want to put anything nice in there, especially when there's miles and miles of empty land along I-35 to both the north and the south.

All Frontier City needs is a little paint and a new roller coaster and it will be a major draw. People are just tired of it because the current management has not done anything with it in several years. It would be FOOLISH, FOOLISH, FOOLISH, to let it be sold to a strip mall developer or anyone else that wishes to dismantle it. I'm sure the conversion of Wedgewood to a bunch of now dumpy apartments was considered a good thing at the time, but now I think most people would rather have a cool old amusement park there. Same thing with Springlake (now MetroTech), Belle Isle (a stripmall as generic as they come), and Delmar Gardens (a slum).

Pete
06-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Local group acquires theme parks

By Paul Monies
The Oklahoman

A local investment group said Thursday they have emerged as the new owners of Oklahoma City theme parks Frontier City and White Water Bay, although current owners Six Flags Inc. said the sale remains ongoing.

An investment group led by McAlester native Franklin Boyer and Oklahoma City businessman Ed Lynn said they reached a tentative agreement Tuesday with the theme park chain, which put the parks up for sale in January.

The group did not release financial details but expects the sale to close next week. However, Six Flags spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg said the sale process is ongoing.

"We have received multiple bids, which we are evaluating," Goldberg said. "We are expecting other offers to come in."

Goldberg said the company has not put a timetable on the sale of the local parks. However, Six Flags previously said it would keep the parks operational through the remainder of the season.

Luke
06-29-2006, 04:51 PM
So far, so good.

Let's see what he does with the parks.

HOT ROD
06-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Its about time

Pete
06-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Possible agreement reached on local Six Flags parks: Local group reports tentative deal to buy White Water, Frontier City by Brian Brus
The Journal Record
6/30/2006 OKLAHOMA CITY – An investment group led by McAlester native Franklin Boyer and Oklahoma City businessman Ed Lynn announced Thursday they have “reached a tentative agreement” to purchase the Frontier City and White Water Bay theme parks from Six Flags Inc.

But Six Flags spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg provided a subtly different perspective: “We’ve received multiple bids; we’re evaluating a number of offers; and we’re expecting more offers to come in,” she said from the company’s corporate offices in New York. When asked for elaboration on the deal, Goldberg said to take her initial comments “at face value.”

Neither side would reveal details of the offer. Boyer and Lynn said in their prepared statement that the agreement, reached Tuesday, is still subject to a comprehensive review of each park’s financial operations and physical plant, a process expected to be complete the first week of July.

Six Flags is still trying to find its way under new management and a changing entertainment industry. After shareholder Dan Snyder led a proxy fight and ousted former CEO Kieran Burke and other executives late last year, Mark Shapiro was named chief executive and president. Since then, the company has been exploring options to refine its business model, without publicly committing to a particular plan.

A week ago, Six Flags management announced the company could face higher operating expenses, making it “extremely difficult” to meet earlier guidance. The company also said it might find itself out of compliance with its bank credit agreement, which Six Flags needs in order to implement a turnaround, Motley Fool industry analysts reported.

The company also reported attendance was down 12.5 percent but that the average guest was spending 14 percent more. Revenues were down 1 percent for the year to date.

Frontier City on Interstate 35 has served as Six Flags’ nominal headquarters since the company was bought from Time Warner by Premier Parks in 1997. Industry experts have not expected the park and White Water Bay on Interstate 40 to remain in the company’s park portfolio following the executive management changes.

Boyer and Lynn could not be reached for comment Thursday, their spokesman Larry McAlister said.

Lynn, owner of the Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Bar in northwest Oklahoma City, was named 2005 Franchisee Marketer of the Year. He serves as a member of the Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Commission and is a director of the Oklahoma Restaurant Association.

Luke
06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Hm, so somebody jumped the gun perhaps?

BricktownGuy
07-17-2006, 03:11 PM
any official confirmation???

Doug Loudenback
07-17-2006, 04:48 PM
As I've reiterated numerous times, I'm an outsider lookikng in. But, I can say this: Ed Lynn is the owner/operator of the NW Expressway Buffalo Wild Wings that has accomodated the presence/needs of www.hornetscentral.com needs so very well.

Aside from that, it would surely be a nice day today if local investors picked some fruit, this as well as other, to result in ownwership that is focused on Oklahoma City as opposed to to having other consdirations in mind.

Go for it, Ed Lynn!

diesel
07-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Going from running the NW Expressway Buffalo Wild Wings to owning two theme parks, what a jump or addition...

metro
07-18-2006, 11:04 AM
I was going to say. Owning a restaurant to two theme parks is quite a stretch, and a different business.

Patrick
07-18-2006, 11:34 AM
He couldn't do any worse than Six Flags has done. I'm willing to give him a chance.

moinponcacity
07-20-2006, 09:13 AM
I would love to see Oklahoma ownership over the two parks! I worked at White Water back in '88 and enjoyed every minute of it.

writerranger
07-20-2006, 11:57 AM
I was going to say. Owning a restaurant to two theme parks is quite a stretch, and a different business.

So, would the only suitable owner of theme parks be an owner who already owns theme parks? Didn't they have to buy their first theme park at some time?
I know logic can sometimes be so difficult.

Ed Lynn and company will do fine!

------------

ETL
08-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Sorry, but I would like to bring up this subject again. I probably should apologize for my ignorance on this subject, but that is why I wish to discus this now, seeing as how this has been left in the lime light for the past few weeks. Who owns Frontier City and White Water Bay?

jbrown84
08-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Was a new thread really necessary?

As of now, Six Flags, Inc. owns the parks. There was an annoucement that a sale is pending but it may have been premature.

ETL
08-10-2006, 11:50 AM
This probably a dumb idea, but could the city do the same thing as the Bass Pro Shop with Frontier City? What do you mean necessary?

metro
08-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I think he means, why couldn't you continue talking in one of the existing threads already on this topic. By typing in an existing thread, it will bring it to the top of the list of topics, without having to create a new thread on an existing topic.

Luke
08-10-2006, 12:00 PM
I think they had said that the owner of Buffalo Wild Wings (if I'm not mistaken) was the new buyer. However, that announcement came "prematurely."

As for a new thread. Who cares if a new one was started?

keving
08-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Because it throws off people who do it right by actually searching for an existing thread rather than creating a new one.

So you have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who wanders in in the middle of a movie and wants to know. -Walter Sobchak "The Big Lebowski"

ETL
08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh ok, sorry about that.

metro
08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
I think they had said that the owner of Buffalo Wild Wings (if I'm not mistaken) was the new buyer. However, that announcement came "prematurely."

Well for one, I care that an unnecessary thread gets started, and obviously the guy that brought it up did as well. By keeping discussion about the same topic in the same thread, it creates less questioning, and more informed readers.

Secondly, the owner of Buffalo Wild Wings did NOT buy Frontier City. Someone merely suggested he would be a good owner. (Another case and point why it's good to keep things in the same thread).

BricktownGuy
08-10-2006, 03:33 PM
metro...

from what I undertood he was rumored to have bought it. as stated here:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/6893-local-investors-buy-frontier-city-white-water.html?highlight=frontier+city

"Lynn, owner of the Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Bar in northwest Oklahoma City, was named 2005 Franchisee Marketer of the Year. He serves as a member of the Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Commission and is a director of the Oklahoma Restaurant Association"

metro
08-10-2006, 03:56 PM
BricktownGuy, I see where you're coming from and you have a point as well. That was just a "rumor" or someone just jumping the gun as it went on to state. As you can see by company officials and official statements from Six Flags, they have received numerous offers, all of which are still on the table to the public's knowledge. None have been settled on.

ETL
08-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Well for one, I care that an unnecessary thread gets started, and obviously the guy that brought it up did as well. By keeping discussion about the same topic in the same thread, it creates less questioning, and more informed readers.

Secondly, the owner of Buffalo Wild Wings did NOT buy Frontier City. Someone merely suggested he would be a good owner. (Another case and point why it's good to keep things in the same thread).

Ok, sorry, but what do you mean that keeps less questioning?

ETL
08-10-2006, 10:03 PM
What are large theme parks attracted to? I mean we are in a great location (near the center of the US) and there are so many areas around here that don’t have an even amusing area. I think it would be great to see a theme park and water park combined. Maybe they should start anew with a new park. Make the rides a little more exciting and original. Just about everyone I know has been to Six Flags (Dallas). Imagine around 1.2-1.4 million people around OKC going to the park and more from Tulsa and Kansas and from other states. If people are willing to drive 2-3 hours to Dallas then why wouldn’t people from the North do the same to visit us? Also, somewhere I read that OKC gets 12 million visitors a year, without much of a theme park I my opinion. Personally, I would rather drive 2-3 hours to go to Six Flags than Frontier City. I admit Frontier City IS NOT A DUMP but it isn’t the best ether. And not only that, but Six Flags doesn’t want to give up Frontier City and White Water Bay, they want to gouge whoever is willing to buy them. OH, has anyone other than Toby Keith thought of bringing a little Branson to OKC or the area around it (i.e. live shows, tours, and places to just spend money, you know, Branson). If I had the money, then I would do it! Please tell me what you think.

BricktownGuy
08-11-2006, 12:52 AM
BricktownGuy, I see where you're coming from and you have a point as well. That was just a "rumor" or someone just jumping the gun as it went on to state. As you can see by company officials and official statements from Six Flags, they have received numerous offers, all of which are still on the table to the public's knowledge. None have been settled on.

Correct.

metro
08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
ETL
Ok, sorry, but what do you mean that keeps less questioning?

What I was saying, by keeping all discussion regarding the same topic in one thread. It will create a more informed reader, thus someone will be less likely to ask a question that has already been answered. If there is another thread already on the topic that they didn't know about, but had their answer, they might not find it. By keeping the same discussion in one thread, they are more likely to get all the information given about that topic.

Make sense?