View Full Version : Heard Carl's Jr and Green Burrito Coming to Downtown

BailJumper
03-21-2007, 07:57 PM
A good friend told me that the old Cafe on Main is going to be renovated into a split venue - Carl's Jr. and the Green Burrito.

Anyone else heard this?

Kinda a small space and weirdo combo, but I'm game.

bandnerd
03-21-2007, 08:17 PM
What in the world is a Green Burrito?

The "split" thing has me confused some days, though...A&W/Long John's...Taco Bell/KFC?

I remember once, in high school, stopping at one of those Taco Bell/KFC things, and my boyfriend getting tacos and potato wedges.

SACRILEGE!

John
03-21-2007, 08:58 PM
It's Carl's Jr.'s fast-mex eatery.

The Green Burrito (http://www.carlsjr.com/green_burrito)

Pete
03-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Out here in California, most CJ's also have Green Burrito items on their menus.

I think most in that area don't have them because they bought out Hardees locations.

It's called "dual branding"... I actually worked on a project when I was a management consultant when Arby's and LJS's were planning to merge and put both concepts in almost all the restaurants. But, they couldn't figure out how to accomodate all the deep-frying equipment as well as the huge roast beef slicers. They ended up going their separate was after spending millions trying to merge.

writerranger
03-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Out here in California, most CJ's also have Green Burrito items on their menus.

I think most in that area don't have them because they bought out Hardees locations.

It's called "dual branding"... I actually worked on a project when I was a management consultant when Arby's and LJS's were planning to merge and put both concepts in almost all the restaurants. But, they couldn't figure out how to accomodate all the deep-frying equipment as well as the huge roast beef slicers. They ended up going their separate was after spending millions trying to merge.

The Long John Silvers and KFC lets you mix 'n' match the menu, too. You can substitute a LJS item for a KFC and vice versa. I like it because of that.

All those restaurants mentioned (KFC, Taco Bell, A&W, Long John Silvers and Pizza Hut) are now all subsidiary companies of YUM! brands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yum%21_Brands%2C_Inc.), that's why they are combined in all different ways.

------------------------

metro
03-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Actually most of the Carl's Juniors here DO HAVE Green Burrito's in them or items on the menu. I usually stay away from Carl's Jr. but I do know they have Green Burrito's in them here in OKC. Just curious, where did you hear this info from bailjumper?? is it reliable?? It would make sense considering their regional office is just a few blocks away in the Arts District.

BailJumper
03-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Pretty reliable source. They heard Carl's jr. had purchased parking in the attached garage in the same building. At bit more inquiry revealed the Split venue.

I rarely eat at a Carl's Jr., but I like it when I do.

bombermwc
03-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Crap, I can't believe Carl Jr's is even open. That nasty crap ... yuk. I never see anyone in the parking lot at any of these places. And when there is someone, it's breakfast when they are serving the real food known as Hardee's. Keep that fast food crap out of downtown.

BDP
03-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Metro already started a thread for this called "What's Next for Downtown OKC?".

Haha. Just kidding.

Pete
03-22-2007, 08:46 AM
It's funny that CJ's has a somewhat questionable rep in Oklahoma, and I suspect that's because of their Hardees association.

Out here, they have always been thought of as quality fast food -- a cut above McD's and BK.

metro
03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
I'll still welcome it downtown, it will help create some traffic on that slow but picking up section of the CBD. I very rarely eat there, maybe once or twice a year if that. bombermwc, you said it though, when I drive by one, I rarely see anyone inside or in the parking lot, maybe maybe just one car in the drive thru

BailJumper
03-22-2007, 09:26 AM
I would stop at a Carl's Jr. over Burger King or McD's any day. My problem is I am rarely near one.

I welcome all the fast food giants to downtown. I hope some places in the city will start staying open late.

Karried
03-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Did anyone see Fast Food Nation? I don't think I'll ever eat a 'meat' patty again.

HOT ROD
03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I think downtown needs a mix of retail; high end and mid range, budget and astronomical.

The same should hold true to restaurants. I think there should be a downtown location for most fast food restaurants who will adopt an URBAN model for the restaurant - storefront cityscape, street parking and/or garage (NO SURFACE LOT, or if there is one - a small lot), and perhaps stay open a little later given the urban population downtown.

I dont think there should JUST be the Bricktown restaurants and the LUNCH oriented ones in the CBD, there should be a range of restaurants to fit everyone's budget and taste buds. Such an offering would help make downtown stay alive as well as benefit downtown residents and workers with options - just like downtown should have. The more traffic and pedestrianism downtown has - the more retailers will want to be here, and the higher the land values. (dont believe me? Bricktown is the perfect example).

I for one am happy about the CJ announcement, hopefully more will come - even tho I personally (along with Karried) may never actually eat there.

Tim
03-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Did anyone see Fast Food Nation? I don't think I'll ever eat a 'meat' patty again.

OMG! Read the book and almost went vegan! Now I'm a "Humane Vegetarian". I only eat animals that have died peacefully in their sleep.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-22-2007, 01:40 PM
OMG! Read the book and almost went vegan! Now I'm a "Humane Vegetarian". I only eat animals that have died peacefully in their sleep.

If you think about it everything we eat most likely feel pain. Potatoes are living organisms until you cook them. If you do not believe me leave one setting for a while in a cool dark place. Sooner or later it will start growing roots.

I see human beings a part of the food chain. We eat pigs, cows, chicken and fish just like the lion eats the gazelle. Every nature show I have ever seen shows the gazelle dying in agony. The only thing I hate to see is waste. If your going to kill something for human consumption, use as much of the animal as possible. Put whatever is not fit for human consumption to good use. Do not just kill it for one or two parts.

Karried
03-22-2007, 01:44 PM
If you think about it everything we eat most likely feel pain. Potatoes are living organisms until you cook them. If you do not believe me leave one setting for a while in a cool dark place. Sooner or later it will start growing roots.

I'll never look at a french fry the same way again....

Actually, sorry to go off topic.. it wasn't so much about how the animal died, but what ended up in the patty with the 'meat'.

Let's just say I'll never eat another Big Mac.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I understand where your coming from, for me on the other hand I will continue to eat french fries and Bacon Cheeseburgers.

The way I see it there are two way rules that apply in my life. Number One, moderation is the key to everything. Number 2, I am responsible for the things that happen to me, no person or corporate entity will be accountable for my demise. Unless that person or corporate entity did something like (IE: put something such as poisons or razor blades in my meal.)

Everything else is left up to chance and God himself. I refuse to live in fear because some lobby group tells me I should.

Karried
03-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I love a cheeseburger just the same as anyone and I'm certainly not trying to pick on you.

Unless that person or corporate entity did something like (IE: put something such as poisons or razor blades in my meal.)

Would feces or excrement persuade you? Cuz that is what's hiding in your double cheeseburger..

I'm not judging you.. eat away and enjoy!

CMSturgeon
03-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I think Carls Jr burgers are quite tasty but I never eat there. My husband and I spent 20 minutes waiting in the drive-thru for our food at the 89th & Western location and ended up paying $17 for our meal. We could have eaten at a real restaurant for that. I think the chocolate shakes are like $25 a peice and they just gave us a small discount for our wait. Not to sound five years old or anything but Green Burrito sounds....... well....... like another name for poop.

Lauri101
03-22-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm still trying to figure out location - where on Main?

I can't eat beef, but wouldn't mind a decent chicken taco every now and then.

mranderson
03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
"I spent 20 minutes waiting in the drive-thru for our food at the 89th & Western location"

The reason I will not use the drive thru at fast foods. It is a lot faster to use the dining room counter.

windowphobe
03-22-2007, 05:39 PM
How many cheeseburgers can you get out of one freshly-butchered gazelle, anyway?

Kerry
03-22-2007, 07:44 PM

This means I have to start eating a double now.

bombermwc
03-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Carl's Junior makes my stomach hurt worse than McDonald's. Yuk!

And for you vegan folks....if God didn't intend us to eat everything on the planet, he wouldn't have made them all so good and tastey. Plus, wasn't it Daniel that said that we should eat all things...or that no animal was sacred or something.

Karried
03-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Karried http://www.okctalk.com/images/vbe2blue/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/9397-heard-carls-jr-green-burrito-coming-downtown.html#post89511)
This means I have to start eating a double now.

Speaking of double has anyone feasted their eyes on the Double Fish Filet? Now, that's what I'm talking about.. ha,ha..

For some reason, a little fish crap in my food doesn't repel me as much as cow 'patties' in my meat 'patties'

lol, I love that play on words..

Trust me, I could eat any one of you beef eaters under the table.. I love to eat. Bring on the steak.... it just threw me to see all of the intestines, organs and feces end up on my Quarter Pounder w Cheese. (I'm hoping it was just a story based on very little 'factual evidence')

metro
03-23-2007, 11:46 AM
You got to think it was produced and financed through a lobby organization basically. Either way, that's why you should bless your food before eating it. Hot Dogs/Sausage is made of intestines and other various leftovers anyways and that tastes yummy too. Double Fish Fillet sounds really good. mmm

BailJumper
06-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Okay- heard this deal fell threw. No Carl's Jr. in the Old Street Cafe.

kevinpate
06-02-2007, 05:47 AM
I know some disagreee, but of the (allegedly) fast/semi-fast food places, in order of preference, I'd pick Braums, Carl's, Sonic, Wendy's, MickyD.

Oddly enough, that's also the same order, at least in my experience, of the slowest service to the fastest service. I really do prefer Braum's but I tend to go only on days when I am certain my patience is not already stretched thin, because I have never consistently had slower service in any burger house than I do in Braum's and it doesn't matter the town, it's always a shade faster than backing up, at best. But good burgers, good shakes can get me to forgive the snail's pace, and on days I canna, then it's on to one of the others.

Anyhow I like Carl's and having one as some competition to Sonic in BT wouldn't be a bad thang for me on those days I'm not looking for a leisurely meat based meal.

ksearls
06-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Was in the Carl's Jr. on 23rd and Broadway last week and they are now an offical Carl's Jr./Green Burrito. Didn't have it, but the Green Burrito stuff looks pretty tasty. To bad the deal fell through, I really think the CBD could use a true fast food joint. We miss the Chick Filet!

metro
06-03-2007, 08:35 PM
I was in that one to the other day ksearls, went through the drive through and it took a whopping 30 minutes for only 3 cars in front of me. I about pulled out of line twice because of the wait, but it was close to rush hour traffic and they are doing construction right at that intersection so it was a nightmare to pull back out into traffic anyways. It reminded me of why I never eat there, high prices and extremely slowwwwwwwww service, like kevinpate said, I think Carl's is just like Braums, doesn't matter what location, it's consisently slow even if no one is in line. Most of the Green Burrito combo meals are 7-8 bucks. I'd personally rather go to Qdoba or a mexican restaurant for the same price and get better quality food than Mexican from a burger joint. I ended up going with a chicken sandwich and a shake for a whopping $7.50. That's too much IMO for a average chicken sandwich and a small shake and nothing more.

Midtowner
06-03-2007, 08:44 PM
dayum.. that'd better be some free range chicken in that sandwich and some hormone-free milk in that shake.

$7.50 is preposterous.

JWil
06-05-2007, 01:30 PM
dayum.. that'd better be some free range chicken in that sandwich and some hormone-free milk in that shake.

$7.50 is preposterous.

Now that minimum wage is going to go up, prices like that will be more and more the norm at fast foot places.

The days of $2.99 combos are over.

jbrown84
06-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Arby's and Chick-fil-a have gone up.

BailJumper
07-14-2007, 06:09 AM
The deal is back on!!!! A sign is now up saying "Coming Soon Carl's Jr. and Green Burrito."

However, the consignment shop in the same hall closed up and moved out.

metro
07-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Sweet! That will help bring to life that stretch of Main. Especially with the hotels right there. Anything we can do to help bring more street life is good. Hopefully this will be a win-win for both retailers. Hopefully the consignment store will move to a more prominent space downtown. I did notice however on craigslist.com they were selling their store fixtures. Don't know if this signals they are going out of business or what.....

Doug Loudenback
07-14-2007, 11:50 AM
I echo another's question ... where is this? "Old Street Cafe" doesn't ring a bell with me ... in the 1st National Parking Garage, 1st floor (which I've not visited in months)?

Midtowner
07-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Now that minimum wage is going to go up, prices like that will be more and more the norm at fast foot places.

For 50-cents more, I can hook up just about anything for lunch at the Deep Deuce Grille.

As for meet patties, this thread tells me why in the Midtowner household, we cook with ground sirloin.

BailJumper
07-15-2007, 08:20 AM
The lady who owned the consignment shop got out completely. She was trying to sell it, but had a VERY unrealistic price.

I eat at the Subway on that street often and occassionally look at the magazine store.

metro
07-15-2007, 05:40 PM
That would explain why I saw all her store fixtures for sale on craigslist.com bailjumper. It seemed she was asking too much for even those.

For Doug, HOT ROD, Malibu and others who either don't know where we're talking about, or are out of town, I took pics of the coming soon sign as well as posted other pics of various downtown things. Check out my gallery:

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=204

Lauri101
07-16-2007, 02:44 AM
Glad to hear it! I eat at that Subway regularly, and it'll be nice to have some Mex for a change of pace. Hope they open for breakfast, too - love those biscuits!

metro
07-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Carl’s Jr./Green Burrito set for downtown OKC

July 19, 2007
OKLAHOMA CITY – A new Carl’s Jr./Green Burrito is scheduled to open in downtown Oklahoma City Sept. 5. The dual-themed restaurant will move into a 2,200-square-foot space on Main Street, next to the Subway restaurant, said Randy Newman, executive vice president of Starchasers of Oklahoma. “Downtown is booming,” Newman said. “Our offices are downtown. We said, as much emphasis as the city is putting in downtown, and as much revitalization as we’ve seen, we thought it would be a great spot to be in. We managed to find a great site.”The downtown restaurant is one of three new locations Newman and his partner, Starchasers President Steve Anthony, plan to open in Oklahoma before the end of the calendar year, with two more Carl’s Jr./Green Burrito restaurants slated to open in early 2008. “We’ll have 10 new stores in the state within the next 18 months, and then we’ll have 29 more restaurants converted to Green Burrito within the next 18 months, followed by all-new remodels within three years,” said Newman. Six stores in the Oklahoma market have already been converted from stand-alone Carl’s Jr. restaurants to the Carl’s Jr./Green Burrito format. Newman said his company has made a “sizable” investment in the Oklahoma market, but he would not disclose the amount invested in the expansion plan. Starchasers of Oklahoma – named as a playful nod to the Carl’s Jr. star logo – has 38 restaurants in Oklahoma, having bought out a corporate-owned market one year ago. Newman formerly worked with the Carl’s Jr. brand, a wholly owned subsidiary of California-based CKE Restaurants Inc., before joining with his partners to purchase the franchise. As of Nov. 2006, CKE had 3,113 franchised or company-owned restaurants in 43 states and 14 countries, 1,079 of which were Carl’s Jr. restaurants. Systemwide, the trend in recent years has been toward dual-branding, combining sister restaurants. Carl’s Jr., which has a menu focused mainly on burgers, has been paired with Green Burrito restaurants, which offer Mexican dishes, while Hardee’s have been paired with Red Burrito restaurants. Though the first dual-branded Carl’s Jr./Green Burrito store opened in California in 1994, CKE’s acquisition of the Green Burrito chain in late 2001 has resulted in an increasing number of dual-branded stores.The Oklahoma stores actually offer a three-pronged approach, said Newman, as the Carl’s Jr./Green Burrito locations also offer Hardee’s breakfast items. The variety of menu choices and the quality of the food offered at the Carl’s Jr./Green Burrito restaurants provides the company an advantage in the competitive fast-food market, Newman said.

http://journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labscarls%20jr.jpg
Randy Newman, owner of 38 Carl’s Jr. stores in Oklahoma, poses at an Oklahoma City Carl’s Jr., NW 23rd and Broadway, on Wednesday. Newman will open the franchise’s latest location, which will be paired with a Green Burrito restaurant, downtown Sept. 5. (Photo by Jennifer Pitts)

Copyright © 2007 The Journal Record All Rights Reserved

metro
09-14-2007, 11:52 AM
I believe Carl's Jr./Green Burrito is now open downtown. I drove by the other night and it appeared they were open with customers inside. Can anyone confirm if they have opened? Glad to see more pedestrian oriented fast food options in the CBD

mecarr
09-14-2007, 02:44 PM

The minimum wage was increase started just this year and it only went up less than a dollar. The last time it went up was 1993. I doubt the minimum wage has much effect.

bdub02
09-17-2007, 03:41 PM
OKC needs Boston Market. That is an excellent place. They could start by locating downtown.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-18-2007, 03:19 AM
OKC needs Boston Market. That is an excellent place. They could start by locating downtown.

You must be new here. :D

There are lots of things you can get away with...But suggesting that a CHAIN restaurant put up shop in the downtown area is a lynchable offense.

BailJumper
09-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Ate at CJ's yesterday - yummy! It was pretty packed too. I loved their ATM style order taking.

I'd vote for Boston Market downtown!

Karried
09-18-2007, 08:03 AM
I loved their ATM style order taking.

How does that work?

Misty
09-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Did you have the patty melt? Flat buns....I like flat buns...

BailJumper
09-18-2007, 12:58 PM
They have 3 ATM type machines. It simply walks you through the whole order taking process with a touch screen and lots of photos and even makes a few suggestions (English or Spanish).

You pay at the machine and it gives your a receipt with a number. Place the number on your table and they bring you your food.

They have LOTS of staff on hand and they are very friendly and helpful.

I ate there again today (Fish Tacos, beans, rice, chips and a hand scooped shake!)

They serve their lunch menu all day and have wireless Internet access.

bdub02
09-18-2007, 01:25 PM
You must be new here. :D

There are lots of things you can get away with...But suggesting that a CHAIN restaurant put up shop in the downtown area is a lynchable offense.

I see nothing wrong with a chain opening up downtown IF it is NOT already in the metro AND they have an urban design - i.e. no McDonalds with a drive through. Boston Market, being one of the nicer fast food chains and since its NOT already n the metro might fit in well downtown. They need to keep an urban design though.

Whole Foods is a chain and I don't think anybody would object to them opening up downtown.