View Full Version : O'Connell's to move!

metro
03-21-2007, 10:21 AM
O'Connell's Pub to make move to new location
Owner plans for fun at Campus Corner

By James S. Tyree
Staff Writer

NORMAN — The owner of O'Connell's Irish Pub and Grille said the Lindsey Street location will close Dec. 31 of this year, but not before opening a new O'Connell's this summer on Campus Corner.
Jeff Stewart plans to sign an agreement within the next few days that would put O'Connell's on the Corner at 769 Asp Ave., occupied most recently by Al Eschbach's Sports Bar and Grill.

"We haven't finalized the lease, but we're 95 percent of the way there,” Stewart said.

Once the lease is signed, Stewart figures it would take about two months to get the location remodeled and ready for business. He hopes that will happen in June, though a July opening is possible.

The original O'Connell's will stay open until Dec. 31. Stewart said the University of Oklahoma sent letters about one month ago to him and other tenants in the Lindsey Street and Jenkins Avenue area saying they must vacate by that date.

The University of Oklahoma Foundation bought a 2.3-acre portion of that block last September, on behalf of OU, for $4.5 million.

"I don't know what we're going to do on New Year's Eve,” he said, "but I'm sure it will have one big party.”

O'Connell's had such a party Saturday during its final St. Patrick's Day bash at the original location, where an estimated 8,000 people came and went throughout the day and night. The parking lot and restaurant were continuously filled with patrons, and lines of people waiting to get in often stretched down to Jenkins Avenue.

St. Patrick's Day celebrations are a well-known tradition at O'Connell's, which opened in 1968. Stewart bought the business in 1979, one year after graduating from college.

The business also is a popular pre- and post-game destination for many fans attending OU football games. This fall, there will be two O'Connell's to choose from — the original at 120 E Lindsey St., and O'Connell's on the Corner.

Stewart said he plans to drop the "on the Corner” from the Campus Corner location's name once the original pub closes.

The new O'Connell's will have about 6,000 square feet, compared to the original's 3,700 square feet, and Stewart said the business will become part of the Campus Corner scene. He foresees a "St. Patrick's on the Corner” celebration, for instance, that can include other Campus Corner businesses.

But Stewart said the new location also will retain the same atmosphere as at Lindsey Street. Furnishings, decorations and memorabilia from Lindsey Street, some of which is in storage, will be on display at Campus Corner.

He also plans to solicit e-mails from customers who describe their experiences at O'Connell's over the years, so they can be part of the transition.

Stewart said "we just want to have fun with the transition” while coming to grips with a tradition coming to an end.

"I think for people who have come here regularly, it's going to be a real tough time walking out of here on that last day,” Stewart said,

"And to say goodbye to history.”

john60
03-24-2007, 04:47 PM
I wonder what the University's plans are for O'Connells's current location? They own a LOT of land over there now.

soonerliberal
03-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Boren announced today that it will be a parking lot.... not a garage, but simply a parking lot. Lots of grumbling going on around campus about this...

john60
03-28-2007, 09:22 PM
That's not surprising. I guess it will be needed when Whitewater Bay gets finished, destroying most of the existing parking immediately east of the dorms.

Dekoung
03-31-2007, 05:00 AM
The U certainly needs more parking! However I was wishing for something for the O'Connell's corner other than a parking garage. I will miss the Thai restaurant and hope they relocate.

Intrepid
03-31-2007, 07:30 AM
That's not surprising. I guess it will be needed when Whitewater Bay gets finished, destroying most of the existing parking immediately east of the dorms.

Whitewater Bay? I'm confused....

Dekoung
03-31-2007, 08:24 AM
The proposed new swim complex.

Intrepid
03-31-2007, 09:45 AM
The proposed new swim complex.

In addition to the White Water Bay located on Reno?

This is just the first I've heard anyone mention a new location in Norman.

John
03-31-2007, 10:46 AM
In addition to the White Water Bay located on Reno?

This is just the first I've heard anyone mention a new location in Norman.

It's a little joke. The new swim complex is going to have indoor and outdoor swimming, hot tubs, a lazy river, slides, a competition lap pool, sun deck, etc. There is a big stink about it because professors are saying the money should be spent on them for bigger offices :rolleyes:. It's something like a $38MM project.

oudirtypop
03-31-2007, 01:07 PM
It's a little joke. The new swim complex is going to have indoor and outdoor swimming, hot tubs, a lazy river, slides, a competition lap pool, sun deck, etc. There is a big stink about it because professors are saying the money should be spent on them for bigger offices :rolleyes:. It's something like a $38MM project.

If you have ever seen OSU's swim complex, you would realize how bad OU's is. This is one of the few things left that OSU has better than OU. Time to put that one to rest also. Too bad they wont sell alcohol there. Not only would OU make a killing, tons of college students would show up for sure!

kevinpate
04-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Many an enjoyable time has been spent at the Lindsey location over the past 20 years, and several more will occur before the doors close for good. I only hope Jeff and crew can have as much success at the location on the corner.

Spartan
04-07-2007, 11:20 AM
The swim proposal is RIDICULOUS. I have personally wanted to deface those stupid "uSwim iSwim" signs all around campus ... resisting that desire because I know they'll all get defaced eventually. There is even a Facebook group for OU students that oppose this stupid proposal.

I am glad we can all live happily in the end. O'Connell's is just moving to Campus Corner, more non-surface parking is being added, and there will be new high-rise apartments just east of this property.

MikeLucky
04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
The swim proposal is RIDICULOUS. I have personally wanted to deface those stupid "uSwim iSwim" signs all around campus ... resisting that desire because I know they'll all get defaced eventually. There is even a Facebook group for OU students that oppose this stupid proposal.

actually it's quite on par with most other major university aquatic centers and it's been long overdue at OU..... it will be a great addition for improving student life.....

It's being privately funded so what makes it so "stupid" and/or "ridiculous?"