View Full Version : Ladies! Have MAKEUP advice?

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Yes, I picked the "Health & Fitness" section to post about Makeup.

That is because I've been battling acne for years, NO I haven't seen a dermatologist cuz I'm poor people like that :D I also have a purple-redish birthmark on my face as well as freckles that I try to cover up. My skin is obviously sensitive and prone to break-outs. I've done the "diet-change," drink more water, get more sleep, try to be less stressed--because according to the entire world THAT'S why I have acne problems. I've even used that ProActive stuff and it Destroyed my face, as well as some MaryKay and Avon Products.

I keep turning toward this product that YES I've seen on daytime TV infomercials.

Bare Minerals

Has anyone used this Mineral Makeup? Is it really as good as it appears to be?

I don't want to spend $60 on something that's not gonna improve my skin condition. I firmly believe that a more beautiful Outer Me will cheer up the Inner Me and maybe I will be a lil more confident in meeting new people.

Deni
03-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Bare Minerals is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am addicted to it. I have large pores on my face and most makeup looks caked on.. I love the fact that I can put it on and it looks natural. It dont clog my pores and I dont sweat it off..

Trust me you will addicted also..

Karried
03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
You have a beautiful face!

Anyway, I haven't tried Bare Minerals but looking at the commercials, it wouldn't even come close to the type of coverage I like to have.. it's called Bare Minerals so it looks like bare skin.. I also have small freckles even after wearing 55 Sunscreen... hubby says their cute, I'd sand them off with sandpaper if I thought it wouldn't scar.. hate them, hate them!

Anyway, two things .. I saw an acne machine at Walgreens which kills the bacteria with heat .. it costs about $150..but if you think about all the money you've spent over the years and this works.. it's not much money to have skin cleared.. I'm going to get one if my teen starts breaking out.

A Better Way to Treat Acne: Heat Treatment of Skin Lesions (http://www.myzeno.com/acne_thermo.htm)

Another product I've used and loved is Physicians' Formula.. Check it out.. here is their mineral line: Although I used the old creamy formula foundation.. non clogging, w sunscreen.. loved it..

Physicians Formula (http://www.physiciansformula.com/l_eng/mw_index.asp)

Karried
03-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Sorry Hottcutz.. we were posting at the same time.. like I said, I've never used it so don't listen to me.. I'm not an expert .. hottcutz looks great so maybe you should give it a try.. look on Ebay.. see if you can get a better price.. of course, only get new - sealed in packages, not expired cosmetics on Ebay.. due to cooties and such..

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Another product I've used and loved is Physicians' Formula.. Check it out.. here is their mineral line: Although I used the old creamy formula foundation.. non clogging, w sunscreen.. loved it..

Physicians Formula (http://www.physiciansformula.com/l_eng/mw_index.asp)

You're the second person that's recommended the Physician's Formula to me today! I was chatting with one of my friends back home (she is the "prissiest" friend I have, lol) and she said she swears by that stuff.

I'm thinking I should try it out instead of this whole Bare Minerals thing as that's gonna cost at least $70 with shipping and all. I'm too poor to take that leap but I think I can swing the $10 - $20 at the department store.

Where do you get your Physician's Formula makeup? Calli told me to try Target.

Also, do you use the liquid foundation and the loose powder? Is is a one or the other or both? I didn't have the chance to ask her, she had to go to class.

bandnerd
03-20-2007, 01:50 PM
They put that on my for my wedding day. It was okay, but I don't use it normally.

I know this may seem personal, but have you tried birth control? I didn't have great skin when I was younger...but man, bcp's really can control acne. Plus that whole contraceptive thing...great if you don't want kids right now ;)

Planned Parenthood is cheap, if you are interested. You'll have to get an exam I think to get the pills, but it's about $90 (according to my last visit several years ago) and the pills will cost anywhere from $25/mo to $25/every three months, depending on how they write the script. My doctor writes them for every 3 months at $25, and most doctors will do that for you. If you have health insurance, there are a lot of good gynecologists out there who can help!

Plus, at our age, it's crucial that we make these girly visits every year, anyway!

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Ya, I'm on the pill that's supposed to help your skin clear up but I haven't seen any real changes. My doctor's stubborn so I'm on the same thing I've been on for the past four years.

pepper37
03-20-2007, 02:20 PM
I have used bare minerals and thought it felt very "heavy" on my face. I like to use Clinique Continuous Coverage to cover any "problem areas." I have used it since a teen and have switched to other products since, but kept switching back. It is just meant as a coverage and not as a foundation. I am kind of a big fan of the Clinique product line.....so, I am a bit partial.

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 02:32 PM
I currently use the clinique powder. I like it but I'm still searching for a skin friendly foundation. I tried the clinique liquid foundation but it still felt pretty heavy.

Karried
03-20-2007, 03:17 PM
You can get Physicians' Formula at Walgreens.. matter of fact, they have a sale right now - Buy one get one Half off! (at least it was two days ago)..

CMSturgeon
03-20-2007, 03:19 PM
I used Proactiv for over a year before I gave up and went to the dermatologist. I think the only reason my face cleared at all w/ Proactiv was because it actually motivated me to wash my face in the a.m. and p.m. and before that I think I was just a smelly little teenager. lol. When I went to the dermatologist, he is the PA at Craig Abbott's office, he gave me antibiotics and a prescription of Differin gel. Within a couple of months my face was clear of all the major acne and I just had a break out every once in a while on my chin, that is always my problem area (probably because I touch it all the freaking time). But now that I tan I never break out because of the dryness of my skin. That probably doesnt sound good but I would rather be tan and acne free.

I had microdermabrasion done like 3 times and it really works to rejuvenate your skin and clear it up, but the effects only last about a week or two. I only paid $45 a time when I went to do that. My mom used to have dark discolorations on her face and arms and the same physician used laser treatment to lighten them. They're gone now, it broke up the pigment that was clumping together and now her face is free of the dark spots that once drove her crazy. I was pretty impressed by it.

I don't think there is such a thing as a makeup that helps clear your skin. I feel like that's another reason my skin stays clear now, I dont wear makeup (except mascara and blush or bronzer). As far as looks go, I would like to spend a lot of money buying Merle Norman products, once you go get a makeover there, you will want their products, they have awesome coverage. I would also like to get my hands on some MAC cosmetics.

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 04:50 PM
I have problems with my chin as well (again.. from touching my face). I tanned a couple years ago when I was living with an avid tanner/athletic gal. She had really oily skin and would drag me to tanning. It did help quite a bit. Its just kinda scary too since I've had sun poisoning in the past and I have to take it REAL slow when I start tanning. I can't wait to get back into it though. When I have a steady paycheck and a better grip on all the bills I will definately start tanning again.

I've also found that I break out MORE if I don't wear makeup. Its like my pores are super-exposed to dirt. I've been making myself put makeup on even if I'm just spending the day at home with my dog because I really want my skin to clear before I start work next week (well, as clear as I can get it at least).

Regardless, I always get "sensitive skin" products that are oil free, fragrance free, and now I'm the new owner of some of the Physicians Formula stuff :D

Guess I'll give ya'll an update in a few weeks or so :)

CMSturgeon
03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
I've also found that I break out MORE if I don't wear makeup. Its like my pores are super-exposed to dirt. I've been making myself put makeup on even if I'm just spending the day at home with my dog because I really want my skin to clear before I start work next week (well, as clear as I can get it at least).

I was the same way until I made myself stick to going without for about a week. Now when I put on my makeup my face will break out every time in about a day or two afterwards.

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't think I have enough will power to go without makeup!

I feel like I get stared at! In fact, when I was a kid my birthmark made me sooooo self-conscious.

Kids would ask me if it was a hickie (sp?) ---sure, a hickie... on my face (gosh!)
Elderly people thought that I had a bruise on my face like someone hit me!

No one ever figured out it was a birth mark. When I was a baby it covered up half of my face, thank goodness it shrank. Don't think I could handle having half of my face purple.

Trust me, if it were just the freckles fighting to be seen, no problem. Freckles are often cute. The acne, acne scars, and the birthmark have top priority!

Deni
03-20-2007, 07:52 PM
I do not use foundation at all.. I airbrush tan and that is my foundation. But I dont like alot of makeup either.

I am very big as the natural look. I use blush, mascara and lip liner with gloss ...

When I do play dress up I use bare minerals. That is how I can save some money I only use their coverage for special occasions and I get it off their website, but only order it 3 or 4 times a year. It last a long time even using it daily

soonergirl
03-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey Angelicfly - just wanted to let you know that Ulta carries the Bare Minerals line. You can go test it to decide whether it's worthy of the splurge! The girls in Ulta are generally really helpful, too, so they may have some good suggestions for you.

Angelicfly
03-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey Angelicfly - just wanted to let you know that Ulta carries the Bare Minerals line. You can go test it to decide whether it's worthy of the splurge! The girls in Ulta are generally really helpful, too, so they may have some good suggestions for you.

Thanks! I googled it and found a one located in the Quail Springs Marketplace. I haven't been there yet but a good girl friend of mine is coming down April 13-15 and she's the perfect shopping companion!

Thanks again!

Karried
03-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Oh yeah, Memorial and Penn across the street from Sam's Club in the Ross/Office Depot/Lowe's Center - strip mall ... next to Michaels.. it's fun to go there and play.

Angelicfly
03-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Oh yeah, Memorial and Penn across the street from Sam's Club in the Ross/Office Depot/Lowe's Center - strip mall ... next to Michaels.. it's fun to go there and play.

Cool I wrote that down on my list of places to check out with my girlfriend :D

Karried
03-22-2007, 10:34 AM
The Ulta is next to Michaels.. you probably will want to take her to Quail Springs Mall and North Park Mall- if you're on a budget, they have Dollar movies and Pablanos is always good Mexican food.. that's on the corner of May & 122nd

Penn Square Mall is nice but you have to take her to Bricktown Friday/Sat night and ride the canal boats and check out Bricktown Brewery .. they have pretty good food, reasonably priced and the beer is good. After eating you can hit some clubs.. check out this site :

www.myspace.com/oklahomacityrocks (http://www.myspace.com/oklahomacityrocks)
http://x.myspace.com/images/1by1.gif

Easy180
03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
The Ulta is next to Michaels..

Talk about heaven on earth...Being able to get all your cosmetic products in one store and then being able to shop for fabrics literally just steps away

Can hardly contain my excitement

:hammer:

Karried
03-22-2007, 10:51 AM
For the ultimate thrill, the shoe store is in the same place!

Easy180, my work here is done. I'm glad to see your feminine side being brought to the forefront.. I'll come pick you up, let's go shopping - I need a new purse. lol

Angelicfly
03-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Cool.

I have one lil problem as far as taking her to Bricktown. She's only 20 years old. We met thru work... I was Assistant Manager and she's a Shift Supervisor so its just kind of one of those things that sometimes hold us back from really going all out.

I can't wait for her to turn 21.

I love breweries. dang. I don't think she's a club person either :( she's picky like that. I don't really have a group of clubbers anymore. I think I left them when I left college. Bah.

I also tend to hang out with people my mom's age. The 35-45 range. My mom is flippin cool! :D She'll go to the brewery with me! She's always up for beer tastin'--I've introduced her to several American beers, lol.

NE Oasis
03-22-2007, 02:41 PM

How can you skip Books-A-Million???????/

CMSturgeon
03-22-2007, 02:49 PM
CLOTHING ADVICE:

http://www.bodyc.com/i/pl/T2590B2365.jpg
I really want that. Anyone else think it's cute? (the top)

Karried
03-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Books? What are those? ... how can you interject such a bad word into a fashion make-up thread? We are being shallow.. where's Easy180? He appreciates this thread and understands the importance of accessorizing.

I can't see the pic!

CMSturgeon
03-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah I guess I suck so you have to click on the link. I tell ya, I'm down in the poopers today.

Karried
03-22-2007, 03:03 PM
It's adorable - I would get it too except I might be mistaken for being a few months pregnant .. if you're thin, it probably looks beautiful .. maybe we should have a girlie forum.. we could do this all day...lol

CMSturgeon
03-22-2007, 03:09 PM
lol My thoughts as well on the pregnancy thing. I'm thin and still get paranoid, I'm just into the tighter fitting shirts that show I have a figure but aren't too tight. Probably because my boobs make those type of shirts hang out a bit further. It probably would've looked better pre-augmentation but then I never would have had confidence to wear something like that. I like basics, like a womens v-neck shirt that comes in a million different colors and sales for like $10 or less. I saw a shirt similar to that in Vogue in the back and really liked it and that one there is only $18.50 so I may get it. But what bottoms to wear it with? I'm not into the skinny jeans or tights that are all the rage right now (for some stupid reason).

Angelicfly
03-22-2007, 04:21 PM
CLOTHING ADVICE:

http://www.bodyc.com/i/pl/T2590B2365.jpg
I really want that. Anyone else think it's cute? (the top)

Its adorable. luv the cut. Wish I had skinny arms... I would wear sleeveless more often :D

bandnerd
03-22-2007, 06:53 PM
My god, that shirt would look hideous on me lol. It's very cute, though!

Deni
03-23-2007, 07:12 AM
I love that shirt as a matter of fact Catos has a pink one just like that for about 21.99 I think.. I have 3 a green,blue and black one..

I got mine at Fashion Bug in Tulsa but have seen them at Catos

bandnerd
03-23-2007, 07:40 AM
You know what? I'm surprised at Fashion Bug. I got two really cute shirts there the other day and really didn't expect to!

I was also surprised at Ann Taylor Loft (Angelic--it's in Edmond!) yesterday...they are the ONLY store that has pants that fit me correctly. And I have looked everywhere!

Karried
03-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Easy180, are you ready... I'm on my way to get you.. should we hit Quail Springs or Penn first?

Just to let you know.. I'm a power mall shopper, I can spend 10 hours browsing and go home with nothing.. tee hee.

Which I have to say, my husband can NOT stand!

so I leave him at home, but thankfully, Easy180 was so excited about the prospect of Ulta and Michaels having such a close proximity, I now have a new shopping/browsing buddy .. I just know much he loves to shop.. lol

CMSturgeon
03-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Easy180, are you ready... I'm on my way to get you.. should we hit Quail Springs or Penn first?

Just to let you know.. I'm a power mall shopper, I can spend 10 hours browsing and go home with nothing.. tee hee.

so I leave him at home, but thankfully, Easy180 was so excited about the prospect of Ulta and Michaels having such a close proximity, I now have a new shopping/browsing buddy .. I just know much he loves to shop.. lol

Ew when I am shopping I have NO patients. If something doesn't catch my eye I just walk through and leave. Unless I'm really in the mood to spend money, then I will browse for maybe.... an hour. One store I can always do that at is Maurice's, I know it's expensive but I swear almost everything they sell is my style.

Deni
03-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Just found out Ulta has bare minerals???

CMSturgeon
03-24-2007, 07:36 AM
You must never look at their ads in the Sunday paper if you didn't know that! You know, I've never even been there. Have been wanting to go there and to Sephora but I......... just don't need that many beauty items so nothing ever makes me want to go there. I might when it's time to buy another flat iron.

Karried
03-24-2007, 08:49 AM

so I leave him at home, but thankfully, Easy180 was so excited about the prospect of Ulta and Michaels having such a close proximity, I now have a new shopping/browsing buddy

Oh, I was just teasing Easy180.. I can't really shop for more than about an hour.. I'm just not into clothes. I would like to look really fashionable but I don't. So there you have it.. I'm more of a jeans wearing type.

But I usually wear boots or high heels (wedge preferable) with everything ..

Deni
03-24-2007, 09:16 AM
State Beauty supply has the limited edition Chi's in 3 colors for $129.00 .. You have to be licensed to go in there, but I am thinking of becoming a distrubutor for Farouk that makes Chi's

CMSturgeon
03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
I might have to get you to buy one of those Chi's for me in a month or two. I had a really expensive WIGO and a power surge at my apartment burnt it up. I went and spent $30 on one at Sally's and it sucks so bad. Hair appliances are definitely something I think its ok to splurge on. I have a gold curling iron that was $19, more than I've ever paid for a curling iron, and it is the best I've ever had.

Easy180
03-24-2007, 11:11 AM

Crap...So sorry I missed the invite...I would love to this weekend, but unfortunately I will be busy trying to count the exact number of bricks on my house

:yeahthat:

Karried
03-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Lol, no worries.

I'll email you pics of my new purse.

I'll hit you up next time.. have fun counting!

CMSturgeon
04-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Ok, I bought this shirt this weekend and wore it today, it's really comfy and was only $19 at AE. It has #s on the back like a jersey, I've wanted a shirt like that for a long time. http://a248.e.akamai.net/a755bdded7308e72e7fac2eae90715fc.com/Images/laydowns/front/0309_3267_553.jpg

Anyone else buy anything neat lately?

mranderson
04-01-2007, 08:55 PM
"it's really comfy and was only $19 at AE."

For anyone who does not know, please tell what "AE" is. Thanks.

PUGalicious
04-02-2007, 04:43 AM
"it's really comfy and was only $19 at AE."

For anyone who does not know, please tell what "AE" is. Thanks.
Read the tag on the shirt.

Angelicfly
04-03-2007, 02:21 PM
You know what? I'm surprised at Fashion Bug. I got two really cute shirts there the other day and really didn't expect to!

I was also surprised at Ann Taylor Loft (Angelic--it's in Edmond!) yesterday...they are the ONLY store that has pants that fit me correctly. And I have looked everywhere!

Ya I've seen that Ann Taylor Loft place but I by no means have the "balls" to walk into a place that.... is chic the correct term?

I'm a jeans, band t-shirt, converse kicks sorta gal. I know that I need to grow up and dress more my age blah blah blah but I like being comfortable.

I'll tell you what I hate. Sometimes when I go to try to hang out with a group of girls (back in Missouri of course... I still don't know anyone here) I NEVER knew what to wear. Sometimes when they go out they're just goin to a casual sports bar or something and everyone's in jeans and cute tees.... OTHER times we go to a lil more edgy bar/club type place and they're all wearing cute skirts and glamour tops with heels.... I am just SO far outta the loop I don't know HOW to dress up to go out.

I'm surprised I have a boyfriend BUT not surprised I have a HOMEBODY boyfriend. Perhaps he thinks of me as not the "going out" type? Which in Fact I LOVE going out and being around people. I am a very social person. Even if I'm not contributing much to whats going on around me I still get a kick out of watching people.

btw AE is American Eagle. Its like a cross between Abercrombie and Aeropostale. more affordable than the earlier and perhaps better quality than the later? I'm no clothing expert I just know I break out in hives if I walk in or near an Abercrombie or Hollister store :fighting3

CMSturgeon
04-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I acutally bought a really cute pair of khakis at Hollister once for only $19. I had to have them for my job when I worked at Berkleys. Sure dont miss that. Yeah my Dallas trip was the first time I went out to the club and actually dresses all cutesy, or edgy. If you know what club you're going out to, it's a good idea to see it the club has a site so you can check out pics and get an idea of what people wear. I went to the lizard lounge (LLG::Visual Effects and more (http://www.lizardlounge.com)) and people were dressed like whores. So, I mean, I whored it up kinda, but I wore pants.

Angelicfly
04-09-2007, 02:34 PM
If you know what club you're going out to, it's a good idea to see it the club has a site so you can check out pics and get an idea of what people wear. I went to the lizard lounge (LLG::Visual Effects and more (http://www.lizardlounge.com)) and people were dressed like whores. So, I mean, I whored it up kinda, but I wore pants.

LMAO @ whoring it up! That's AWESOME.

Sometimes (since I was coming from a town an hour or more away) I would bring multiple outfits and have them stashed in my car trunk. That way if I truly felt outta the loop I had the option to find a bathroom and change my outfit. I don't own much when it comes to "clubish" clothes but I make do with what I have.

Lavonne
04-12-2007, 11:42 PM
I am new here and just intended to look around a bit, but I could not resist responding to your post about Bare Minerals. I love this product! I have gotten tons of comliments on my skin and I love the way it feels on my face. Easy to use too!
Also FYI, I was just at Ulta 4 days ago and they have the Bare Minerals starter kit on sale for $49, so now would be a good time to buy if you are serious

Karried
04-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Welcome Lavonne, good tip!

CMSturgeon
04-16-2007, 05:06 PM
I bought this swim suit, I hope it looks as good on me as it looks on this guy:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/sunupsundown_1941_5738768

P.S. (I didn't actually buy the thong, just normal cut. I just REALLY wanted to post that picture.)

windowphobe
04-16-2007, 06:12 PM
If you see me wearing something like that, there's probably a harpoon involved.