View Full Version : City License for Doggies?

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 11:04 AM
My pooch still has his Marshall Animal Tag. I know most cities/towns have this but I wasn't sure where I needed to go to get this for Edmond residency. Of course, I could be jumping the gun if this is something that I can talk to a Vet about. I just don't make many trips out of the apartment yet since I'm pretty good at getting lost.

Also, I didn't see one of those machines where you can "make" your tag with pet's name and your phone number and all that when I was in Wal-Mart. Midnite's still has my mom's phone number on it and I want to make him a new one with my cell number.

I googled to find this info but I didn't really make it far. If there's a website I should be reading do tell!

Thanks!

PUGalicious
03-20-2007, 11:13 AM
My pooch still has his Marshall Animal Tag. I know most cities/towns have this but I wasn't sure where I needed to go to get this for Edmond residency. Of course, I could be jumping the gun if this is something that I can talk to a Vet about. I just don't make many trips out of the apartment yet since I'm pretty good at getting lost.

Also, I didn't see one of those machines where you can "make" your tag with pet's name and your phone number and all that when I was in Wal-Mart. Midnite's still has my mom's phone number on it and I want to make him a new one with my cell number.

I googled to find this info but I didn't really make it far. If there's a website I should be reading do tell!

Thanks!
You can get the animal tag from the Edmond Animal Shelter at I-35 and Coltrane, but only one of my dogs has an animal tag -- but you don't have to have one of those, according to the Edmond Animal Shelter (I called to verify). The only thing that's required is the rabies tag, but you get from the vet when you have the shots done.

You can make the custom pet tag at PetSmart in Edmond.

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Awesome.

Thank you!

mranderson
03-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Just to clarify. Although some refuse to believe a former animal control officer, which is a commisioned law enforcment officer, a rabies "tag" is a license and is required by state law.

And contrary to popular belief, you can be subject to a heavy fine for non compliance, however, it is not a jailable offense.

bandnerd
03-20-2007, 12:28 PM
I believe it was already covered that a rabies tag was required in the first reply.

bandnerd
03-20-2007, 12:29 PM
City of Oklahoma City | Tag Your Pet (http://www.okc.gov/tag_your_pet/index.html)

Tim
03-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Angelicfly, welcome to Edmond! Our Animal Shelter is top-notch, and you can access most any City info you need at City of Edmond, Oklahoma | Home (http://www.edmondok.com) , the official City site. There's a tab for Animal Welfare. Also, feel free to use mranderson as a source of information on just about anything! :beaten_fi

PUGalicious
03-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Just to clarify, the earlier statements didn't need to be clarified. Some cities require a city animal tag/license IN ADDITION TO the rabies. Edmond is not one of those cities. If you will carefully check my previous statement, using those keen former animal control officer/law enforcement officer eyes of yours, I clearly stated, "The only thing that's required is the rabies tag."

And what "popular belief" are you referring to? I haven't read anyone in this thread or in any other thread that I've read say that non-compliance was not subject to serious repercussions.

Thanks for adding to the discussion with the unnecessary clarification that clarified nothing.

Karried
03-20-2007, 12:38 PM
It's all clear as mud!

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-20-2007, 01:12 PM
I moonlight as a Homeland Security Officer.....

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/uploads/3660/badge.jpg

I asked the Vet that owns a clinic next door and he said, "Rabies tags are not licenses, they just tell a person when the dog was vaccinated and where the dog's vaccination records are located.

From what I understand no city in the metro requires licensing. How ever, I think it would be a good thing if the cities did require it. A small fee could be charged to help fund animal shelters and pay for additional animal control officers.

PUGalicious
03-20-2007, 01:31 PM
BUT, you don't understand, Bacon, that the vet is not a animal control officer/law enforcement officer... so what does he know?

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 01:34 PM
From what I understand no city in the metro requires licensing. How ever, I think it would be a good thing if the cities did require it. A small fee could be charged to help fund animal shelters and pay for additional animal control officers.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I DEFINATELY agree. I used to help at a shelter in a town 1/2 hour away (hahah... that's how you can tell I'm from Missouri.... distance is measured in TIME!) The shelters need all the help they can get! I believe the reason my former residence called for a city tag is because they kept track of the number of animals per household. You were allowed a total of 4. At most 3 dogs but any combo of dogs and cats. I really don't know about the scaly or feathered ones :)

PUGalicious
03-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Now that you bring that up, Edmond does have an ordinance limiting the number of cats and/or dogs you can own... which also happens to be four, but they don't have a way in place right now to track that other than in responding to complaints.

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 01:37 PM
That's what the city tags are for!

PUGalicious
03-20-2007, 01:38 PM
But that's the point... Edmond does not currently require city tags, which is why they don't have a practical way to track it.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-20-2007, 01:39 PM
I found that information by doing a little detective work. I am a graduate of DeVry University. I am a part of the grocery store law enforcement does that not count for anything?

PUGalicious
03-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Depends on who you ask... I believe you, but that there are others....

Angelicfly
03-20-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a degree in Psychology I believe that makes me able to figure out what's going on in your head right now.

haha.

It would make sense to enlist a city tag program because not only do we know how many animals are in each home but there's also the "history" there. How many times the animal has been picked up by the dog catcher... a system that is able to connect the dog to the owner (if there's a lack of a name tag with such phone number, address, and other owner info). The city will know if that particular animal has attacked someone.

So does this town have one of those Pit Bull bans? Just to get this discussion heated again... lol.

I know Kansas City was fighting that tooth and nail.

BailJumper
03-20-2007, 01:45 PM
We've covered this with the former dog catcher and i called the city to verify - as stated, a rabies tag is NOT a license but is required. Also, the city says they jail about a dozen people a year soley for failure to vacinate their dog. Though, it was pointed out it is usually the result of a dog owner being a real jackass.

I think some dog catchers spend too much time sniffing the mace they carry!