View Full Version : Do you make your own jerky?

AFCM
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Contrary to popular belief, making your own beef jerky can be more expensive than buying the packaged stuff from the store. Still, I enjoy making my own jerky because I make it just right. I typically use the original seasoning from American Harvest. My uncle's a rancher, and one of these days I'm going to buy a whole cow, which will make the cost of making jerky less expensive. Until then, I'll just have to keep buy thin cut steak from the markets. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to get really thin cut strips of steak? Also, if anyone knows of some really good seasoning recipes, I'd like to be educated. I'm a man who loves his jerky!

dirtrider73068
03-19-2007, 11:33 PM
Well you could buy it the meat in bulk roast and such and slice it you self which is hard meat has to be part froze, or get a meat slicer and set it to a thin setting and go that route they have a meat slicer at harbor frieght for like 20 bucks, they have cheap tools so it may not be of high quality but may work. I love jerky too if I was rich I would buy it all day long, I made it couple times for myself was kinda a hassle the wait time just killed me, rather just go and buy when I want but want to start makeing my own again.

Martin
03-20-2007, 05:49 AM
afcm,
any decent grocery with a butcher can slice the beef for you at no additional charge. just grab a roast and ask the butcher to slice it thin... i think 1/4" thickness should do the trick for jerky.

-M

MadMonk
03-20-2007, 07:33 AM
I've made my own a few times. I've only tried a couple types. I used the standard seasoning packets you can buy in the store and spiced them up a bit with some cajun seasoning. I've also used a bottle of teriyaki sauce as a marinade. That turned out really good, but a little sticky. Maybe I used too much, or maybe I didn't dry it long enough - I like the jerky a little on the softer side.

Wal Mart has packages of pre-sliced beef that are perfect for jerky.