View Full Version : Megachurch pastor cheating city out of property taxes

PUGalicious
03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
(DETROIT (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007703170416)) -- A Redford Township church that believes wealth is God's reward is raising eyebrows for buying its pastor a $3.65 million mansion and taking it off the tax rolls.

This month, township officials grudgingly conceded they had no choice but to remove the 11,000-square-foot home overlooking Maybury State Park from its assessment rolls, losing $40,000 annually in taxes.
They concluded the plush pad is a parsonage, but that hasn't quelled debate among township officials and neighbors about whether Christian charity extends to the Detroit World Outreach Church's purchase in September of the home for Pastor Ben Gibert and his wife and co-pastor, Charisse Gibert.

"I also have faith in God, but I don't expect to live in such opulence," said Evgenia Asimakis, a single mother of two who lives nearby and has trouble paying her property taxes.

Her neighbor, Gary Wall, is blunter: "You don't need a multimillion-dollar place to see God. He'll take a lot less."

Detroit World Outreach Church isn't apologizing. In fact, members say the mansion is proof God has blessed them.

The 4,000-member church is part of a growing movement that preaches prosperity. Also known as "health and wealth" theology, the ideology preaches that God wants followers to do well, be healthy and have rewards -- such as the $50,000 Cadillac Escalade the church bought the Giberts, who have four children.

Ben Gibert said God surrounds the faithful with beautiful things.
One of the leaders of his church agrees. "God's empowerment is to make you have an abundant life," said Elder Marvin Wilder, a lawyer and general counsel for the church.

"In this country we value rock stars, movie stars and athletes. They can have a lavish lifestyle, and a pastor who restores lives that were broken shouldn't? When our value system elevates a man who can put a ball in a hole and not a man who does God's work, something is wrong."

Call it what you want, but it's essentially cheating the system and it's cheating other local taxpayers of revenue for local services. What example does this church and its unapologetic pastor establish for other Christians and what witness does it give to the gospel message?

“Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s.” (Matthew 22:21 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew%2022:21;&version=31;68;))

Karried
03-19-2007, 12:33 PM
What a travesty... makes me sick. How many people gave their life savings to support this greed & waste?

The property tax money could easily go back into the community to improve schools and other services. What a shame.

Maybe God should send a lightening bolt down and burn it to the ground.. that would send a message.

Easy180
03-19-2007, 01:14 PM
What a travesty... makes me sick. How many people gave their life savings to support this greed & waste?

The property tax money could easily go back into the community to improve schools and other services. What a shame.

Maybe God should send a lightening bolt down and burn it to the ground.. that would send a message.

Nice try karried....That lightning bolt would just be interpreted as God trying to tell him to build it even larger and more luxurious after it burns down :omg:

PUGalicious
03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
ROFL... so very true...

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-19-2007, 10:35 PM
I think it is time for another reformation. Now, If I can just find Martin Luther's phone number.....

PUGalicious
03-20-2007, 05:08 AM
He posted it on the church door...

metro
03-20-2007, 10:26 AM
There will be another reformation in the church. It will be the "Click heard around the world" as in click of the computer mouse, cell phone button, or Ipod button.

PUGalicious
03-20-2007, 05:42 PM
That will be a sad thing...

writerranger
03-20-2007, 06:01 PM
That is absolutely disgusting. Did you catch that the church also gave him a $50,000.00 Cadillac Escalade? Nothing shocks me anymore.

------------

metro
03-20-2007, 06:12 PM
And why will it be a sad thing PUGalicious? That God is not limited nor can be limited, that he can reach unique people in unique ways. God is not cookie-cutter church in a box and should not be and will not be, it will take these outside the box approaches to reach those who otherwise will not be reached.

PUGalicious
03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
I think a "virtual" Christianity takes the vital relationship component out of the Christian walk. As much as I enjoy interacting with people online, nothing replaces tangible, personal relationships. The more our society slips into this "virtual" world, the less in touch we become with our neighbors -- which is one reason why we have seen such a significant polarization in recent years in the politics and national discourse on the pressing issues.

I have no loyalty to any "cookie-cutter" church image, although I do find a little irony in that comment coming from a member of the church who is at the forefront of franchising cookie-cutter churches.

For the record, I was a member of Lifechurch for several years before moving to a different fellowship and I have several friends and acquaintances who still go there. Lifechurch does some amazing things, I agree. However, some of these forays "outside the box" seem to be stretching the boundaries perhaps in ways never intended. One of those ways is that, despite the concept of life groups, thousands of Lifechurch attenders never get plugged into one. And without that small-group connection with the personal relationship dynamic that is vital to solid Christian growth, people get lost and eventually slip through the cracks. Without that personal connection, especially in a "virtual" environment, many people will be lost.

Easy180
03-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Just watched John Stossel with 20/20 regarding ministry transparency...Story on a Christian former investment banker who started out ministrywatch.com, which grades them on how transparent they are...Of course ministries are exempt from reporting so his company tries to force them to be as transparent as possible...His thoughts are mirrored on here often as he just expects some sort of sacrifice by church leaders as an example for their members

Great story on Kenneth Copeland who asked his members to donate for a $20 Million jet...Promised them it would only be used to spread God's word, but air records show it has had stopovers in Fiji, Hawaii and a hunting trip just to name a few

Showed the gawdy multi-million dollar estates some of the evangelists live in...Even showed one boasting to his flock about his mansions, luxury cars and private jet

Absolutely mind boggling as to why people still donate to these frauds :053:

Martin
03-24-2007, 07:13 AM
sounds alot like the trinity foundation which is a dallas-based group that also dumpster dives for financial records. -M

Easy180
03-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Likely was mmm...All I know is the lady is around 60 and has about 10 tons of makeup on and spends 90% of the time asking for money to spread the word

Martin
03-24-2007, 12:11 PM
oops, no... not trinity broadcasting which is home to jan crouch... but the unrelated group trinity foundation which investigates people like the crouches just as the group you quoted, ministrywatch.

here's their link: Trinity Foundation (http://www.trinityfi.org)

-M