View Full Version : Best BBQ in the OKC metro

Pages : [1] 2

aintaokie
03-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Ok everyone, on the subject of Best BBQ. What is your favorite BBQ joint around the OKC metro? I like Bad Brads in Yukon located on Hwy66 near Garth Brooks Blvd, second is Swadleys.

Easy180
03-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Chopped beef sandwich and fried corn on the cob at Dale's BBQ...Also like Earl's

jbkrems
03-18-2007, 11:19 PM
This is my first post...

I like Iron Starr as for Best BBQ.

Martin
03-19-2007, 05:30 AM
iron starr is pretty good barbecue... their okra is to die for, though. i really like earl's and swadley's with dale's and van's making the short list, too. if i'm really in the mood for good barbecue, though, i smoke it myself!

on the other end of the spectrum, i'm not a big fan of county line... it's overrated imo. -M

NE Oasis
03-19-2007, 06:43 AM
iron starr is pretty good barbecue...

on the other end of the spectrum, i'm not a big fan of county line... it's overrated imo. -M

I agree with both of these statements. Best in the metro - Mr Spriggs in Midwest City (on Air Depot)

Jack Wonder
03-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Bad Brads is very good, and it's consistent from what I hear!

I love Earl's as well, and everytime I get BBQ now and it doesn't taste like Earl's I fell let down :(

dismayed
03-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Van's Pig Stand in Norman.

CCOKC
03-19-2007, 11:29 PM
I am a vegetarian and some might think it's strange that I would reply to this thread but honestly BBQ restaurants are one of the easiest places for me to find things to eat. ( In OK and TX anyway) My absolute favorite is Iron Starr. The BBQ ranch dressing is great and the grean beans and corn pudding and corn bread and okra and mac and cheese and well just all of the sides are great. Oh and the desserts, yummy.
I also enjoy the OK Station on 50th in the Springdale shopping center. The battered potatoes are killer. Any body know if Jacks on 39th is open again?

oldglory
03-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Steves Rib's, Edmond

SoonerDave
03-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Right now, I'm pretty big on Earl's, and I think their okra is absolutely AWESOME. Their chopped beef sandwich is *great*, ribs are very good, and smoked chicken good (albeit the portion I had was a bit smallish).

I'm not impressed with Swadley's. We've been there several times and it's just been disappointing each time. Kept thinking the previous trip was an anomaly, weren't being fair, whatever, but finally we just gave up.

County Line used to be awesome, before they went to the dark side and became franchised with the "County Line" name. It used to be the "Oklahoma Line" years ago, and that's when it reallly hit its stride. I haven't been there in a long time after it deteriorated to the point that no one in my family liked to go there for my birthday dinner. I may be going back next week, not sure.

The Oklahoma Station on 50th used to be a favorite of my mom's, but when the owner treated my handicapped uncle (her brother) like he was a crook once we stopped going there instantly. I was not there, but the story was relayed to me that the owner had come out one evening and was asking people how their dinners were, and my uncle (who is a stroke victim and doesn't communicate verbally very well) suggested he'd have liked a bit more beef on his sandwich. Well, the onwer didn't appreciate the criticism, proceeded to throw a rather loud snit in front of the restaurant, and made a you-know-what of himself. That was the end of that place for us. That said, I believe the place has sold out since that time.

-soonerdave

Martin
03-22-2007, 05:34 AM
as for oklahoma station... dang... for any kind of restaurant or retail establishment, that's just not good business. sure, bbq restaurants are precise as to how much beef goes per sandwich... i've seen places weigh the amount... regardless, you just don't treat a customer like that. you'd think a business owner would have better sense.

the fried okra at earl's is pretty good, but to me not much different than many other places. the stuff i had at iron starr was amazing... as if i'd never had fried okra before. the batter was salted and seasoned perfectly... but what was weird was that they fried whole pieces. i was skeptical about that at first, but it was just amazing. ok... enough of a shameless plug outta me.

-M

Easy180
03-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Right now, I'm pretty big on Earl's, and I think their okra is absolutely AWESOME. Their chopped beef sandwich is *great*, ribs are very good, and smoked chicken good (albeit the portion I had was a bit smallish).

I'm not impressed with Swadley's. We've been there several times and it's just been disappointing each time. Kept thinking the previous trip was an anomaly, weren't being fair, whatever, but finally we just gave up.

County Line used to be awesome, before they went to the dark side and became franchised with the "County Line" name. It used to be the "Oklahoma Line" years ago, and that's when it reallly hit its stride. I haven't been there in a long time after it deteriorated to the point that no one in my family liked to go there for my birthday dinner. I may be going back next week, not sure.

The Oklahoma Station on 50th used to be a favorite of my mom's, but when the owner treated my handicapped uncle (her brother) like he was a crook once we stopped going there instantly. I was not there, but the story was relayed to me that the owner had come out one evening and was asking people how their dinners were, and my uncle (who is a stroke victim and doesn't communicate verbally very well) suggested he'd have liked a bit more beef on his sandwich. Well, the onwer didn't appreciate the criticism, proceeded to throw a rather loud snit in front of the restaurant, and made a you-know-what of himself. That was the end of that place for us. That said, I believe the place has sold out since that time.

-soonerdave

County line is still well worth going to if not just for their homemade bread

Can't really say the rest of it is outstanding, but good enough....But my family devours that 1/2 loaf down in minutes....The smoked turkey is also very good

CMSturgeon
03-22-2007, 11:27 AM
I love Dale's. I swear my hubby and I eat there at least once a month. We went to Earl's and were not very pleased with what we received. I wish there was a good barbecue place with a cooler setting. I used to be addicted to Rib Crib until I ate at Dale's. I still REALLY love their fries though. I feel fat now.

dismayed
03-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Is that Dale's BBQ the one in Midwest City? I actually have eaten there before and yeah, they have great food.

bandnerd
03-22-2007, 08:01 PM
I lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrve Iron Starr. I love everything about it. I have never gotten a bad meal there.

I love the pulled pork bbq sandwich...they put the coleslaw right on the sandwich. The combo of sweet/creamy with the tangy bbq and pork is amazing!

Plus, it's not outrageous. They also do an insanely good peach crisp for dessert.

metro
03-23-2007, 11:28 AM
I love all the places mentioned pretty much. I miss Jack's though. FYI the original owner of Jack's is the one who started and still owns Oklahoma Station.

Canyonero
04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm a big Iron Star fan, mainly the iron burger. As for pure BBQ, I like Bedlam BBQ on NW 50th.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-13-2007, 04:43 AM
You guys are totally missing out on the glory that is Spencer's BBQ.

It's a bit of a trek, but well worth it. Great rolls, and if you go at the right time of day, get some fresh fritters to boot.

Awesome "hot" BBQ sauce too.

Dark Jedi
04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I love a good BBQ joint. Thus far Earl's is the best I've tried here. the 3rd Degree Wings are very likely the best in the country... and I try wings anywhere I find em!

MadMonk
04-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Man, every time I view this thread I get really hungry. :hungry:

Recently tried County Line - it was pretty good, but judging from the menu a little pricy. Luckily for me it was free as I was with a party that was paid for (BBQ tastes so much better when it's free doesn't it?) :)

I'm a fan of Steve's Rib on Hefner west of Rockwell. I used to frequent Jack's on 39th and never had a bad experience. Oklahoma Station is another spot I like to visit from time to time. I've never tried Earls or Iron Starr, but I'm always up for a visit to a different BBQ place.

CMSturgeon
04-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Chopped beef sandwich and fried corn on the cob at Dale's BBQ...Also like Earl's

My usual sides are mac & cheese and potato salad but I second your vote for Dales.

Millie
04-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I love Spencers!

IMO, they have the best okra in the metro.

Maybe I'll have to go there tonight... :hungry:

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Spencers will also sell you a big-a$$ed bag of "day old rolls" for something like $2 or $3.

And they're carb heaven.

aintaokie
04-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I love Spencers!

IMO, they have the best okra in the metro.

Maybe I'll have to go there tonight... :hungry:

MMMMMM fried okra and a good BBQ sandwich.....might be a good switch from onion rings.:bright_id

CMSturgeon
04-19-2007, 07:35 AM
We need to have a luncheon at a BBQ place. When I was a part of NISMOKC.com we were going to go to the drive in but it never happened. That wouldve been cool to have a bunch of nissans filling up the parking lot. I once saw a huge group of people there is vw vans.

John
04-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Steve's Rib in Edmond.

End of discussion! ;)

soonerborn
04-20-2007, 09:48 AM
I like Bob's Barbeque in Norman. The County Line is a close second.

kevinpate
04-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Red Zone (formerly Bob's) and Van's, both in Norman, are both right tasty.
Rib Crib is better than merely passable, but I don't get there much as I really dislike the intersection mess that's on the west side of I-35 at Robinson.

Rifleman2C
05-13-2007, 09:00 AM
You guys are killing me with this thread... mostly because there's no decent BBQ around here for miles and miles (maybe I should be saying kilometers and kilometers) and I won't be in Oklahoma for another four months!

Great discussion! Usually, when a group of people start talking about BBQ, everyone talks about ribs, which I could honestly care less about. Great sides (okra, slaw, beans, corn, potatoes) really define a great BBQ place, in my opinion. I'm one of those folks that prefers the smaller main courses and lots of okra and slaw...

Is it dinner time yet?

BillHensley
07-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm a little late on the thread, but I just joined, and BBQ is my favorite meal.

Swadleys is fairly uneven; several times the meat has been dry. While Earl's is pretty good, and Van's Pig Stands are excellent, the best ribs in the OKC area (or maybe even the state) are at JT's on Sunnylane in Del City. They also make a great chili, and the chopped beef is excellent.

Cheers, Bill

TWBucket
07-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Hmmm, love all BBQ! Anyone remember Han's over on NW 10th? Love'd that one!

diesel
07-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Smokehouse BBQ on Lincoln just north of the capital... Its amazing!!

betts
07-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I love Earl's, but I cannot believe Leo's hasn't been mentioned. That's an old favorite of mine.

excat_56
07-28-2007, 12:20 PM
This has done nothing but make me want to pull out the grill!! ERR, lol. *mouth watering*

tokenwhyte
07-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Spencer's N.E. 23rd and Post rd. homemade rolls and great sauce...

soonerfan21
07-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Amen on Leo's! and for you downtowner folks, Leo's has re-opened their location on Harrison Avenue, just east of the Y past the railroad bridge.
They were featured on the Food Network show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" recently - that was pretty cool!
:congrats:

Drake
08-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm a little late on the thread, but I just joined, and BBQ is my favorite meal.

Swadleys is fairly uneven; several times the meat has been dry. While Earl's is pretty good, and Van's Pig Stands are excellent, the best ribs in the OKC area (or maybe even the state) are at JT's on Sunnylane in Del City. They also make a great chili, and the chopped beef is excellent.

Cheers, Bill

I was just about to post the same thing. If you are in to the rib thing, I think JT's has the best. I really won't even order anyplace else because I am usually dissapointed by others. They are only open till 2 pm, except on Fridays they stay open for dinner.

Now, of course BBQ is a very indvidualized taste, so I always get a kick of people telling other people they are wrong about their choice. I have found most BBQ places tend to have a speciality.

The fun part is trying them all out!

flintysooner
08-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Does anyone remember Pulliam’s BBQ? I think it might have been on 4th Street but I can't really remember anymore. As I recall it was in a garage of a residence and it had a dirt floor. There was a kind of table built around the perimeter of the garage with a bench. You ate looking at the walls of the garage. There was a soda machine in the middle. The ribs were served on Wonder Bread wrappers with an ample supply of bread and sauce. I remember it from the 60's and maybe the 70's.

pecel
08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Bobs and Vans Pig stand in Norman :)

tinkerafbrat
09-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Rib Crib is my all time favorite.

www.IraqWarHeroes.org/Allbaugh.htm

rugbybrado
09-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Rib Crib is my all time favorite.

If rib-crib is the ultimate in bbq for you then you havent ever had good bbq. Thats like saying chili's is the best restraunt for mexican food.

I will say that rib crib is very consistant each time im there and has decent food. But best bbq?????

tinkerafbrat
09-06-2007, 01:27 PM
If rib-crib is the ultimate in bbq for you then you havent ever had good bbq. Thats like saying chili's is the best restraunt for mexican food.

I will say that rib crib is very consistant each time im there and has decent food. But best bbq?????

It was my opinion, nothing else. And I have had ALOT of bbq in my life, it is still my all time favorite.

rugbybrado
09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
mcdonalds makes the best hamburgers in the world, true story

Easy180
09-06-2007, 03:29 PM
It was my opinion, nothing else. And I have had ALOT of bbq in my life, it is still my all time favorite.

I hear ya Tinker...I still say Texas Roadhouse has one the most consistently good filets out there and I have had many a steak in my time

There are usually good reasons that restaurants make it to becoming a chain....Except for Applebee's of course :LolLolLol

Joe Kimball
10-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi y'all, just joined, and my first post may as well be devoted to one of my favorite types of food!

I would like to third Leo's---and I'm glad to hear of a new (to me) location. The baked beans are out of this world---they're a meal unto themselves with the shreds of pork and mustard overtones. I've always been taken by the sauce, which I'm convinced is produced via barely legal methods involving a still hidden in back and barrel-aging. ;) Such a potent way to enjoy their ribs.

I also enjoy Billy Sims in Edmond. I've never been disappointed by their pulled pork (all I've had there as of yet), and their sauce seems to be similar in flavor to Leo's---a big plus.

CrimsonOberon
10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree on Billy Sims place. I have never been disappointed with their food.

J.R.'s is another of my favorites. I live in OKC, and I am more than willing to make the drive to Norman for their food.

Rifleman2C
10-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Just got back from Van's in Norman... awesome fried okra and great relish and sauce... I got the pork loin sandwich. I'll give them an "A" grade and a return visit, for sure!

PWillett
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Best sauce and beans in town would have to be Steve's.

metro
10-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I ate at the newly reopened Jack's BBQ a few weeks ago on 39th. It is run by the original owners who first opened it (not the last owners). I must say, it's not the same as it used to be, but it's still good. The exterior is still hole in the wall, but they completely gutted and re-did the interior, very nice and clean and minimalist. They even have a plasma tv on the wall to watch football and such.

I ate at Leo's about a month or so ago as well and I thought it was the nastiest stuff I'd ever eaten period. I wouldn't even call it BBQ. The chopped brisket sandwich I got had absolutely zero flavor and was mostly grizzle and fat.

Joe Kimball
10-29-2007, 02:41 PM
I ate at Leo's about a month or so ago as well and I thought it was the nastiest stuff I'd ever eaten period. I wouldn't even call it BBQ. The chopped brisket sandwich I got had absolutely zero flavor and was mostly grizzle and fat.

My, I'm sorry to hear that. I must admit that I've never gotten the brisket there (or anywhere else), being a hardcore pork enthusiast.

kmf563
10-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Nobody has mentioned the different types of BBQ. Most of what everyone is listing as their favorite places serve a sweet sauce style smoked BBQ. I happen to not like the sweet at all. I think BBQ should be bold and spicy. Where can I find that?? The closest things that have been decent to me are Leo's and The Oklahoma Ribber.

Redskin 70
02-23-2008, 09:09 AM
OMG JT's BBQ.
one of those little hole in the wall places that is to die for.
Its about the 500 block of South Sunnylane. Just north of I40.
Lunch time is totally packed but well worth the wait.
The meat just falls off the rib and the chopped beed is the best in the world.
Gotta try it some time.:tiphat:

Patrick
02-23-2008, 11:51 AM
My wife and I ate at Oklahoma Station BBQ, at the new Edmond location, last night. I was very dissatisfied. Years ago I ate at their NW 50th location and was impressed. This time, we both got the chopped/shredded brisket, and it was burnt. Wasn't very tasty. I was very disappointed.

We both got Mac and Cheese and Potato Salad as sides, and they were just average.

I also like Leos, but like some have said, I've gotten good and bad their.

CCOKC
02-23-2008, 01:43 PM
That's too bad because the OK Station on 50th is still really good. I took their mac and cheese to party not too long ago and everybody raved about how good it was. But I wasn't as impressed by the NW Expressway location however and stick to the one by my house.

SoonerQueen
02-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Billy Sims BBQ in Edmond is our first choice. We also like JR's BBQ on I-35 in Norman is pretty good too.

sooners83
02-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Steve's Rib is the best BBQ I have ever had. George's Happy Hog is good if you like "dirty" BBQ. I love their hot BBQ sauce.

DVDFreaker
02-27-2008, 11:27 PM
I went to Pig's Stand in Moore for the first time yesterday and I got a bbq sandwich and it's really good although I liked Earl's better escpailly Earl's turkey sandwich with bbq poured all over it, mmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flintysooner
02-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Earl's bologna and hot link combo sandwich!! Might have to have that today.

Earl's in Moore has amazingly good service I think.

DVDFreaker
02-28-2008, 06:02 AM
Earl's bologna and hot link combo sandwich!! Might have to have that today.

Earl's in Moore has amazingly good service I think.

Yeah, they do, I was impressed with their service

JerzeeGrlinOKC
02-28-2008, 05:33 PM
I went to Pig's Stand in Moore for the first time yesterday and I got a bbq sandwich and it's really good although I liked Earl's better escpailly Earl's turkey sandwich with bbq poured all over it, mmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the BBQ impaired: thanks for all the comments guys, the boyfriend (also an east coaster) and I use your recommendations to try all sort's of BBQ around the metro. So far Van's wins, because we like their tangy sauce, and the relish is delish.

I personally also like Swadley's the best but every time I say that I get yelled at by my friends (I would make a comment about people taking their BBQ too seriously but I'd be an absolute hypocrite as I get that way about pizza), I like the sweeeeeet sauce!

Darn you Oklahoma, BBQ in general is just too good! Not good for the waistline...