View Full Version : If you're gonna give police a false name, be careful what name you give them

PUGalicious
03-18-2007, 12:31 PM
The following fellow would have been wise to take heed to the words of Sir Walter Scott:
"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!"

What's in a name? A felony warrant (http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2007/03_16-73/TOP)

ANNAPOLIS - Vincent Lloyd Massey should have thought twice before he gave city police a false name this morning. He gave the name of a wanted felon.

City police pulled a vehicle over into a Bay Ridge Avenue Texaco station at 4:30 a.m. and found that the driver had a suspended license. They took the driver into custody and then looked to Mr. Massey, a passenger in the vehicle, to drive the car from the scene.

When officers asked Mr. Massey, 48, for his driver's license, he said he had left it at home but gave officers his name, address and date of birth.

Moments later, dispatchers told the officers they had a man with several felony warrants, including some from the U.S. Marshal's Service. Due to the "serious nature" of the charges, including drug charges and counterfeiting, police said, they called for backup immediately. They obtained a warrant and arrested Mr. Massey.

Once in custody, Mr. Massey told police he had given a false name and that he had identification in his pocket. Police confirmed that he was Mr. Massey, of Annapolis, and not the wanted felon. Mr. Massey has no active warrants.

He was charged with giving a false statement to police.

Karried
03-18-2007, 12:37 PM
lol... for a minute I was worried that he might have given the name of the arresting officer!

mranderson
03-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Giving ANY false information to a cop is a crime. Not just a false name. Plus, if you refuse to give information... Same thing... A crime. IF you do not believe me, then try it.

It serves the guy right. He should have had to serve the real guys time. Maybe that would teach him a lesson.

writerranger
03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Giving ANY false information to a cop is a crime. Not just a false name. Plus, if you refuse to give information... Same thing... A crime. IF you do not believe me, then try it.

It serves the guy right. He should have had to serve the real guys time. Maybe that would teach him a lesson.

mranderson, This is one area I know something about. You are very wrong. ID must be shown to an officer upon request. Beyond that, the officer must either cite for the traffic violation, have probable cause to hold the individual - or let him go. Period. In fact, as a citizen, if you do not want to answer any other questions but your name and surrender of ID, you don't have to say a word. If there are no grounds to hold you, you can tell the officer you are late for a meeting, you are now leaving and have no time to answer further questions. It may piss him (or her) off, but the officer must return the license and let you go on your way - or have grounds to arrest you. If you are arrested (and there has to be a reason!), you have the right from that point on to remain silent and answer all questions only in the presence of an attorney. 'Ya know, mranderson, it's called Miranda? Surely you've heard of it? Who told you that you have to answer any and all questions asked by law enforcement? Who told you it was a CRIME to refuse to voluntarily give information about anything? In fact, the crime, would be to hold the citizen, ask questions and demand answers for no reason; and these days, the cameras in the cars are watching.

-------------------

mranderson
03-18-2007, 05:17 PM
mranderson, This is one area I know something about. You are very wrong. ID must be shown to an officer upon request. Beyond that, the officer must either cite for the traffic violation, have probable cause to hold the individual - or let him go. Period. In fact, as a citizen, if you do not want to answer any other questions but your name and surrender of ID, you don't have to say a word. If there are no grounds to hold you, you can tell the officer you are late for a meeting and you are now leaving and have no time to answer further questions. It may piss him (or her) off, but the officer must return the license and let you go on your way - or have grounds to arrest you. If you are arrested (and there has to be a reason!), you have the right from that point on to remain silent and answer all questions only in the presence of an attorney. 'Ya know, mranderson, it's called Miranda? Surely you've heard of it? Who told you that you have to answer any and all questions asked by law enforcement?

-------------------

I am NOT "wrong." Nor am I incorrect. I went through the Oklahoma City citizens police academy and learned some things. Plus, I never said anything about WHEN you had to provide information, now did I? Plus. I have relatives that have been arrested for EXACTLY what I said.

Now sir. Please refrain from calling me "wrong!"

writerranger
03-18-2007, 05:21 PM

mranderson, This is one area I know something about. You are very wrong. ID must be shown to an officer upon request. Beyond that, the officer must either cite for the traffic violation, have probable cause to hold the individual - or let him go. Period. In fact, as a citizen, if you do not want to answer any other questions but your name and surrender of ID, you don't have to say a word. If there are no grounds to hold you, you can tell the officer you are late for a meeting (or grocery shopping, whatever), are now leaving and have no time to answer further questions. The officer must return the license and let you go on your way - or have grounds to arrest you. If you are arrested (and there has to be a reason!), you have the right from that point on to remain silent and answer all questions only in the presence of your attorney. 'Ya know, mranderson, it's called Miranda? Surely you've heard of it? Who told you that you have to answer any and all questions asked by law enforcement? The crime would actually be the officer holding you without cause, and these days - the cameras are watching.

-------------------

mranderson
03-18-2007, 05:25 PM
mranderson, This is one area I know something about. You are very wrong. ID must be shown to an officer upon request. Beyond that, the officer must either cite for the traffic violation, have probable cause to hold the individual - or let him go. Period. In fact, as a citizen, if you do not want to answer any other questions but your name and surrender of ID, you don't have to say a word. If there are no grounds to hold you, you can tell the officer you are late for a meeting (or grocery shopping, whatever), are now leaving and have no time to answer further questions. The officer must return the license and let you go on your way - or have grounds to arrest you. If you are arrested (and there has to be a reason!), you have the right from that point on to remain silent and answer all questions in the presence of an attorney. 'Ya know, mranderson, it's called Miranda? Surely you've heard of it? Who told you that you have to answer any and all questions asked by law enforcement?

-------------------

I am fimilar with miranda, and probably have been longer than you have been alive. It does NOT say you have the right NOT to give a cop your name on request or show ID on request. BTW. I am also fimilar with Gidion vs. Florida and some other cases. Accept the fact I have the knowledge and end this right now, please.

writerranger
03-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I am fimilar with miranda. It does NOT say you have the right NOT to give a cop your name on request or show ID on request. BTW. I am also fimilar with Gidion vs. Florida and some other cases. Accept the fact I have the knowledge and end this right now, please.

mranderson, you said, "Plus, if you refuse to give information... Same thing... A crime." That is wrong. Why do you ask me to just accept your word and "end this right now?" I happen to know this issue very well, a hell of a lot better than you, I promise. btw, Gideon has nothing to do with this at all. Nothing.

I just reread your post: FYI, I am 47. How old are you? And what does that matter?

-----------------

mranderson
03-18-2007, 05:43 PM
mranderson, you said, "Plus, if you refuse to give information... Same thing... A crime." That is wrong. Why do you ask me to just accept your word and "end this right now?" I happen to know this issue very well, a hell of a lot better than you, I promise. btw, Gideon has nothing to do with this at all. Nothing.

I just reread your post: FYI, I am 47. How old are you? And what does that matter?

-----------------

Old enough to know my facts. I have a proposal for you. Get pulled over by a cop and have him or her ask your name, then say "it's none of your business because I have the right to remain silent," and see where that gets you.

writerranger
03-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Old enough to know my facts. I have a proposal for you. Get pulled over by a cop and have him or her ask your name, then say "it's none of your business because I have the right to remain silent," and see where that gets you.

You brought the age superiority comment into this discussion.
You wrote: "I am fimilar with miranda, and probably have been longer than you have been alive." That's simply not true. I told you I was 47 - how old are you?

mranderson, please, read my posts. I specifically said that you must give the officer your name and surrender your license to him or her. My response to your post was this comment....I know you want to run from it now, but you said......"Plus, if you refuse to give information... Same thing... A crime." That is NOT true beyond the name and license. If that's what you meant, (or you now want to pretend that's what you meant) then just say so now.

---------------------

PUGalicious
03-18-2007, 06:57 PM
He's got you beat by FIVE years... bow to his prowess...

andy157
03-19-2007, 04:57 AM
writerranger

Seeing no response it would appear you were right.

MadMonk
03-19-2007, 06:04 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Ali-Owned.jpg
:D

oldglory
03-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Mr. Anderson you are WRONG, I just asked a High-Po, Name and ID is ALL YOU HAVE TO GIVE THEM.........

mranderson
03-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Mr. Anderson you are WRONG, I just asked a High-Po, Name and ID is ALL YOU HAVE TO GIVE THEM.........

Just like I said. Try refusing to give a cop your name. I am not "wrong." Not only have I been through an accademy, I also have law enforement experience. (yes. Animal control IS law enforcement)

PUGalicious
03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
(yes. Animal control IS law enforcement)
I can't image that the animals gave you much information at all... does that mean they ALL went to jail?

P.S. And, yes, Mr. A, you are wrong (again).

Easy180
03-19-2007, 11:36 AM
It would all depend on whether or not a dog treat was offered...My bet is they stay silent unless a Beg'n Strip is thrown in...And that may be viewed as entrapment

That or maybe a Good Cop Bad Cop routine :police:

Deni
03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
This reminds me of a thread we had when my AC was stolen from the shop. I refused to give the cop information she was asking for over the phone and was told I had to give out my SS # from Mr. Anderson. We went over all this you dont have to give out nothing but an ID....PERIOD!!!!!

Now while I am writing this my police client is standing next to me and he says he asks for name and ID. That is all they usually ask for unless usually your going to be arrested. However if you refuse to answer questions they cant do anything to you unless you have actually broken the law.

So now we KNOW you dont have to give out your SS # to cops at ANYTIME and you can refuse to answer questions..

Karried
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Now while I am writing this my police client is standing next to me and he says he asks for name and ID. That is all they usually ask for unless usually your going to be arrested.
However if you refuse to answer questions they cant do anything to you unless you have actually broken the law.

Hottcutz, do you really expect us to believe that a police officer might be more informed than those on this board? :Smiley233

Deni
03-19-2007, 01:00 PM
not at this moment he is frisking me.. Just kidding..

PUGalicious
03-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Hottcutz, do you really expect us to believe that a police officer might be more informed than those on this board? :Smiley233

But does he have ANIMAL control law enforcement experience... or is he old enough to know anything at all?

Deni
03-19-2007, 01:07 PM
he deals with me... Of course he does... lol

Karried
03-19-2007, 01:08 PM
But does he have ANIMAL control law enforcement experience... or is he old enough to know anything at all?

Good point, unless he has canine training we can't believe him ...

Easy180
03-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Same thing I was thinking PUG...Bet that cop is just in his early 40's

Deni
03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
hahahahhahah.........

you guys are killing me.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually here is his stats.. He was actually on the force when my dad was back in the 80's my dad is now 57..

They worked together for about 14 years in OKC ..

Then my dad went on to move to another force out of State. John is still in OKC.

:fighting3

writerranger
03-19-2007, 01:46 PM
This reminds me of a thread we had when my AC was stolen from the shop. I refused to give the cop information she was asking for over the phone and was told I had to give out my SS # from Mr. Anderson. We went over all this you dont have to give out nothing but an ID....PERIOD!!!!!

Oh yes, I remember that thread well. Sometimes there's no talking sense with Mr. Anderson. It's hard to discuss at all when he gives a response like this (from post #7):
"Accept the fact I have the knowledge and end this right now, please."

--------------

andy157
03-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Sounds like someone spent last night at a Holiday Inn.

Karried
03-19-2007, 05:26 PM
That has to be the greatest response ever...I actually did lol ...

Deni
03-19-2007, 07:52 PM
:omg: :yourock: :LolLolLol :LolLolLol :irule:

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
03-19-2007, 08:23 PM
This Thread was brought to you in part by:

The Clifford Clavin School of Know-it-all-ledge

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9674/ratzenbergergx7.jpg

http://www.morenovalleyhi.com/Graphics/HIExpress.jpg

"Stay Smart"

writerranger
03-19-2007, 10:39 PM
You know, call me slow, but it took me a while to make the connection with the Holiday Inn references. Now, I understand and it's appropriately funny (considering this threads contents). If some of you are like me and haven't caught that whole sub-thread of Holiday Inn reaction, this should help:
30-second Holiday Inn Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgX7i0C-IK4)

-------------------------------